New Members

Jockstar

Hi, long time lurker, first post!

A very good forum, made so by the great people posting here.

I lurk here so as not to lose complete touch of LOS. I grew up and went to high school at Ruam Rudee (12 years ago). A year short of graduation left for Japan and lost all contact with everyone in LOS.

I'm back at home now and looking forward to going to Thailand after I finish my military training. Figure what I'm going to do there after I land. :o:D

Happy new year.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for this topic...Just want to ring in and say hello to all, and that we are praying for the victims, and families of the Tsunami...I have many friends still living in Thailand since the VN War ended...Some in BKK and some upcountry.

I served at Udorn RTAFB 1973-74 USAF

This is a great site you have here, and a good communication tool...

We've been watching this news on FOX since day one...You will prevail and rebound..The Thai's are a strong people, and will overcome this disaster..

God Bless You All,

Udornvet

hey guys, great forum you got going here, im sure yall will be sick of seeing my posts soon enough :D

Not too sick, I hope :D

Best wishes for the New Years, my deepest sympathys to those affected by the sunami, and i look forward to oodles of witty banter from the lot of you!

Same to you and thanks. We look forward to it, too! :o

Hello all, and thanks for the opportunity to introduce myself. My last stay in LOS was for six wonderful months, and I am coming back in a couple weeks for three more months, after which I will bring my Thai fiancee back to US with me, assuming paperwork goes as expected. I've been fortunate to be able to go for long stays, since I haven't had a real job in over 12 years. As a writer, I can take my work with me--used to be in financial services until the Department of Justice, FBI, 2 congresspersons and the California court shut us down (long story, buy me a beer in BKK and I'll entertain you with it). I do appreciate all the useful information on this board!

I'm new to this forum as of today, not due to the tsunami, but rather the beginning of a gradual transition to living in Thailand. The plan is to be partially retired in the Issan by 2008 and fully retired in either the Issan or South by 2014. That is, if I live that long! :o

Hi everyone

Same as a few other posts. Been watching for a while and decided to join in on the fun.

I've been to Thailand 4 times and have a beautiful Thai wife (married April last year). Planning to go back near the end of this year with my wife and my 18 yo daughter from previous marriage. It will be the first time she has been overseas.

I'm from sunny :o Melboune in Australia

Planning to get a job (hopefully) in Thailand and want to eventually retire (early) there. Know of anyone in the IT industry???? looking for someone to work?

I fell in love with Thailand the first time I went.

Nice to talk to everyone. Hope to talk again soon.

Thanks for this topic...Just want to ring in and say hello to all, and that we are praying for the victims, and families of the Tsunami...I have many friends still living in Thailand since the VN War ended...Some in BKK and some upcountry.

Howdy U-Vet!

I was just down the road Ramasun Station (a zoomie on an Army base - 7thRRFS) during the same time frame. I have lots of pictures of those F-4s taken from my water tower (and Thai T-28s as well).

I'm an on and off poster here--I'll probably be more consistent the closer I get to retirement and my move to LOS!

I keep seeing all these new members. Obviously due to the recent events. But many of these people havent posted at all. So i'm starting this thread so that they can. Come on newbies, say hello! Dont be scared we wont bite. Wolfie might though!

Hello as requested.

My arrival at this forum was quite by chance. I am looking to explore the possibility of retiring to Thailand and came upon the site via my 'visa' search.

At first blush the site certainly seems lively enough with a lot of useful information.

I have no doubt that over the coming weeks I will get to know more of the personalities that contribute to the forum and will undoubtedly learn much about the country that many of you now call home.

My first query would be a general one along the lines of; 'has anyone first hand knowledge of Panama or the Dominican Republic and how in their opinion, do they compare to Thailand with regard to cost of living, health care, climate etc?'

I know it's a very open ended question but I'm just trying to get a general feeling as to how the countries stack up against each other and why.

Doubtless by the time I've tracked back through the archives I'll have garnered a lot more information and thus will be in a position to ask more specific questions.

However one has to start somewhere.

Hey :D

Pretty new to the forum - I find it a great source of information and discussion. I was surprised how quickly can one get answers to his questions in this forum. (some of them are even connected to the question :D )

All credit to forum members.

Been in Thailand in the past a few times, longest stay for 8 month.

Now establishing a Trading company in Thailand that will specialize in Organic foods. Hope to start operating in March.

:o

welcome all newbies...

believe it or not, even our good ol' Doc was a newbie once :D

great to see you all and we really look forward to your input (the usual crowd has become boring :o )

Cheers

tuky

welcome all newbies...

believe it or not, even our good ol' Doc was a newbie once  :D

great to see you all and we really look forward to your input (the usual crowd has become boring  :D )

Cheers

tuky

By The Way...watch out for the mods, they are all a bunch of @#$%$#@

oi hang on a minute :o

I keep seeing all these new members. Obviously due to the recent events. But many of these people havent posted at all. So i'm starting this thread so that they can. Come on newbies, say hello! Dont be scared we wont bite. Wolfie might though!

Hi I'm a newbie too, recent unemployment gave me the time to browse, and the wave gave me a reason to come back more often to check how things were going. Been married to my Thai wife 27 years, come to Bkk for a couple of weeks every year to visit family and visit new places sometimes. Have only recently started thinking about moving to Thailand in the future, but having spent a little time reading all the opinions, facts and requirements I'm more confused than ever!!!

Suppose I'll just have to be content with the usual 30 day no visa rule for the time being, that's assuming i can get a job soon. I resigned my last one before going to BKK in November. Wish I was there now!!! You guys are a mine of information and obviously have far too much time on your hands!!.

Hey all

Im pretty new here aswell. Have been browsing the forum for a month or 2 and just recently decided to register.

I am from Queenstown, New Zealand. Have only been to Thailand once but have already planned my next one in march and will try to get there for longer periods of time in the next few years.

I find this forum very useful. You can pretty much get an answer to any question you have about the LOS.

Cheers

welcome all newbies...

great to see you all and we really look forward to your input (the usual crowd has become boring  :o )

Cheers

tuky

Speak for yourself, Leith! :D

Enjoy that vacation before heading off to the frozen tundra of Sweden. :D

Hello everyone. Been in Thailand for about three years now. Before that, used to visit fairly frequently due to work (and recreation). Do check this site now and again, but haven’t had the inclination to post until recently. PROS: Find this site to be very informative if you’re looking for EXPAT info. Haven’t even been through all of the different threads yet. But if you want to know what EXPATs are thinking, what EXPATs do here, and how EXPATs are going about their lives, this is a good source of info. Note that I’ve got the word EXPAT in caps. For the CONS: This is not a good place to find info about the Thai perspective, i.e., what Thai men and women think about anything. Many expat’s have ideas about how they think Thai folks think, but it’s pure speculation and often times way off the mark. As an expat myself and one of the few who’ve taken the time to learn the Thai language and speak to the people (beyond the GFs immediate family and circle of friends), I find Thai folks (men and women alike) to be engaging, overwhelmingly honest and hardworking, and willing to give the shirts off their backs. I believe this is contrary to how most expats think. Would love to be proven wrong. Anyways, take care all.

welcome all newbies...

great to see you all and we really look forward to your input (the usual crowd has become boring  :o )

Cheers

tuky

Speak for yourself, Leith! :D

Enjoy that vacation before heading off to the frozen tundra of Sweden. :D

I don't even have a ski jacket :D

Here's to hoping I do not freeze to death Boon.

Also a new guy. Joined for all the great information. As my username would suggest, currently in Kuwait. Definitely a temporary thing and am looking forward to getting back to civilization (that would be LOS). Having said that, always willing to answer any questions for those thinking about coming out this way to make their fortune. Said fortune to be carried back to LOS and spent with wild abandon.

Hello everyone.  Been in Thailand for about three years now.  Before that, used to visit fairly frequently due to work (and recreation).  Do check this site now and again, but haven’t had the inclination to post until recently.  PROS:  Find this site to be very informative if you’re looking for EXPAT info.  Haven’t even been through all of the different threads yet.  But if you want to know what EXPATs are thinking, what EXPATs do here, and how EXPATs are going about their lives, this is a good source of info.  Note that I’ve got the word EXPAT in caps.  For the CONS:  This is not a good place to find info about the Thai perspective, i.e., what Thai men and women think about anything.  Many expat’s have ideas about how they think Thai folks think, but it’s pure speculation and often times way off the mark.  As an expat myself and one of the few who’ve taken the time to learn the Thai language and speak to the people (beyond the GFs immediate family and circle of friends), I find Thai folks (men and women alike) to be engaging, overwhelmingly honest and hardworking, and willing to give the shirts off their backs.  I believe this is contrary to how most expats think.  Would love to be proven wrong.  Anyways, take care all.

Pros on TV. I dont know. Maybe? Cons? Maybe a few Ex Cons. :o:D

My son is leaving for Thailand next week so I am interested in getting all the info I can, as a concerned mom. He is planning to go rock climbing in the Krabi area. Thailand is a beautiful country and I am learning so much. He would like to help rebuild in any way he can. What are your views on:

how to travel from Bankok to Krabi

a single traveller

getting accomodations

volunteering to rebuild

Thanks for the encouragement to ask.

Greetings!

I have been utilizing this great site for months; the bits of info have helped me in my struggle to get my wifes docs in order!

Question: How does your status change on here?

Thank you!

PS.  MO BEER!

3 more post to go and your a member :o

the 90 more for an advanced member

then 400 more so you can change it your self

then 9500 to get a big wai from Dr PP :D

Hi Meg, welcome!

1) Take the train south, then mini bus/bus-if he has time (2cnd class lower sleeper)

2) Enjoy! (with normal caution :D )

3) Krabi's had loads of cancellations but is 100% operational- so, no probs

4) Not much to rebuild in Krabi, just showing up will be thanks enough by the locals

Maybe also post in the Krabi forum here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showforum=33

Any more newbies out there? C'mon! :o

Edited by bahtandsold

Howdy U-Vet!

I was just down the road Ramasun Station (a zoomie on an Army base - 7thRRFS) during the same time frame. I have lots of pictures of those F-4s taken from my water tower (and Thai T-28s as well).

I'm an on and off poster here--I'll probably be more consistent the closer I get to retirement and my move to LOS!

Hi, Ya'all from an U-Tapao then Ubon vet 1970-73. Looking to retire in LOS in few years!