Thailand Elite Card Is Abandoned

george

Imagine this scene at Suvarnabhumi when an unsuspecting Thailand Elite member has just arrived for his latest visit to Thailand.

Guide: Sawadtee krap. Welcome to Thailand, sir.

Member: Where is the express Immigration counter?

Guide: It’s over there, sir.

Member: What, the one with the queue twice as long as the others?

Guide: Yes, sir.

3 hours later.

Member: Where is the limo that will take me to my 5-star hotel?

Guide: Sorry, sir, the limo service is no longer available.

Member: So how do I get into Bangkok, then?

Guide: As a special favour for you, sir, I’ve booked that tuk-tuk over there at a discounted cost to you of 1,000 baht.

Another 3 hours later.

Member: Why have we stopped yet again? I can see no 5-star hotel here.

Guide: I’m afraid that 5-star hotels are no longer included in our package, sir.

Member: But where shall I be sleeping during my visit?

Guide: In the hammock strung between those 2 trees over there, sir.

Member: So where can I take a shower? I want to freshen up.

Guide: I’m afraid that particular facility is now only available during the rainy season, sir.

so, it looks like the visa will be uninterrupted but no more backrubs? I can live with that.. but I guess we will here more in the coming days/weeks.

I would like the family visa to be reinstated...not just the member. That is why I bought it. The golf, airport cars, massages are nice but not essential.

I could have bought one of these years ago. But, as I was working and could get by on the 30 day stamps, there wasn't any pressing need for it. The (initial) promise of land ownership would have been cherry on the cake, but that got moldy pretty quick.

So instead I took the money and bought a Harley. Still got the Harley. Runs great and unlike the Elite card, the Harley will still be there tomorrow !

I'm comfortable with my decision. :D

Kerryd,

Theres a bit of a joke about Harley's amoungst sports bike riders. Something like, Harleys arnt good for much, they are overpriced, heavy, they don't start well, they corner badly, difficult to stop.....not good for much at all. Having said that, they are a multi purpose item....for example they double as boat anchors & do a great job at the end of a chain at the bottom of the sea!

Imagine all the excess supply of boat anchors in thailand if all the elite owners had opted for Harleys in leiu of the elite card. :o

Edited by neverdie

So instead I took the money and bought a Harley. Still got the Harley. Runs great and unlike the Elite card, the Harley will still be there tomorrow !

I'm comfortable with my decision. :D

Kerryd,

Theres a bit of a joke about Harley's amoungst sports bike riders. Something like, Harleys arnt good for much, they are overpriced, heavy, they don't start well, they corner badly, difficult to stop.....not good for much at all. Having said that, they are a multi purpose item....for example they double as boat anchors & do a great job at the end of a chain at the bottom of the sea!

Imagine all the excess supply of boat anchors in thailand if all the elite owners had opted for Harleys in leiu of the elite card. :D

:D

I hear that a lot, from people who are jealous of my bike ! :D

what good is owning a harley in thailand if you cant stay here to use it? :wai:

Ahh, that all depends on the circumstances of the individual though. For example, Dear Old Dad (DoD) is picking up his bike soon and will be riding it around while staying on his O-A visa for how ever long.

A little harder in my case, as I still feel the need to work for a living (outside the country), but should I pull the plug and stay in Thailand full-time, there are options I could explore that would let me ride my bike as often as I wanted.

(I asked a Thai buddy if I could take my Harley with me, if I became ordained as a monk. He said "no problem".) :o

The Elite Card 5 year visa was a main selling point for me as I mentioned before, and had my circumstances been a little different, I may have gone for it as well.

I laugh at this latest press release though, where it quotes a discounted price of 2 million baht, down from the original 3 million. Unless they are referring to the "Business" version of the card ? Because I distinctly recall the price being 1 million baht originally (especially as I was giving it some thought and crunching numbers and looking at bank balances).

I'm sure there'll be more news in the near future.

The Thailand Elite card will be replaced by the Thailand Wallet Elite Experience. Thailand's TAT has issued a new program for well-heeled foreigners in which they simply mail their wallets stuffed full of 1,000,000 Baht express mail (at their expense) to Singapore so that their Baht can enjoy all the pleasures and exquisiteness that Thailand has to offer. The new program simplifies the lifestyles of the rich and famous even further by not requiring them to even get up from their chair. Their wallets will do everything for them.

Sorry I had to have a go! I sincerely do hope some type of compensation is given.

Edited by wasabi

I bought an elite card...it was gimmicky and I hardly ever used it, just like all the hi-end execise equipment that I bought for my house..I also bought some great real estate in California that was way under valued so it all balances...I will still spend the majority of my time here elite card or no elite card....

I bought an elite card...it was gimmicky and I hardly ever used it, just like all the hi-end execise equipment that I bought for my house..I also bought some great real estate in California that was way under valued so it all balances...I will still spend the majority of my time here elite card or no elite card....

And when do you expect the value of that to go up .............? :o

California freefall: Home prices down 26% in February

Signs of distress are piling up in the California housing market, where prices are falling at three times the national rate of decline.

--Statewide, median sales prices fell by a stunning 26% from year-ago levels in February, with home prices dropping at a rate of nearly $3,000 a week, the California Association of Realtors reports. Further, the CAR says the Fed's interest rate-cutting campaign "will have little near-term direct effect on the housing market."

Edited by midas

I'm a owner of the Elite card, along with my sister and dad. Dad got the card when it first came out...paid 1 million, sister and I got the 300,000 supplementary card when it was on offer for a limited period. We feel that we got our moneys worth, especially the supplementary card (dad still has a long way to go!). We travel for business around 10 times a year, and utilize the spa and golf services very often. I've been living here for more than 15 years, already have a permanent residents, so the whole point of getting the Elite card was to be able to use the numerous spa/golf services around the country, as well as the ride to and from the airport as we don't have a driver and travel quite freqently abroad. Since we are here permanently, we thought it would be a good buy. Another one of the main reasons was to be able to buy land, that was where we felt cheated, but its thailand anything goes. For people who can afford it and wants to stay here permanently AND loves spa and golfing, it was a good investment in my opinion. I would say a lot of the elite card members, more than 50% own some sort of business here and will be staying here permanently, they are hard working people and not snobs and show offs like many people here who are trying to portray elite card members to be.

People should stop linking everything that has to do with thaksin as being negative, in this case "Elite memebers" as being stupid for falling in the scam. A lot of people seems to be happy that the Elite card is being cancelled, yet it has nothing to do with them. For who people made comments like "CONGRATULATIONS ON BELIEVING ANYTHING THIS GOVERNMENT OR ANY GOVERNMENT HAS TO OFFER", why are you still here then?

Most of the thai elite program's money trickled out to greedy individuals. Just like the case with the senior staff who advertise the thai elite on cnn (or some other network) in the states, he used his daughters advertising company to do so, there goes the 100 or so million baht. But that happens to all types of government agencies, been long enough to seen all kinds of fishy stuff going on. Anyways ... I just hope the program lives on, if not some sort of compensation would be nice.

Edited by sykdevil

All this jealousy towards fellow foreigners who just wanted a way of staying in this beautiful country and were willing to take a chance (on an admittedly risky) elite card. Whats wrong with you people! We are all willing to do what it takes to stay here. Border runs, jump through hoops...whatever! I would have bought the card had i been able to afford it. Just because these people could afford it we shouldn't be rubbing their faces in it.

Shouldn't we be supporting fellow foreigners who may have lost out on a genuine attempt to stay here and comply with the law????? Shouldn't we be getting behind them and the injustice once again of farang being taken advantage of here and expected to just roll over and take it with a 'mai pen rai - this is thailand'????

I really hope these card holders get some compensation and their visa priveledges extended.

All this jealousy towards fellow foreigners who just wanted a way of staying in this beautiful country and were willing to take a chance (on an admittedly risky) elite card. Whats wrong with you people! We are all willing to do what it takes to stay here. Border runs, jump through hoops...whatever! I would have bought the card had i been able to afford it. Just because these people could afford it we shouldn't be rubbing their faces in it.

Shouldn't we be supporting fellow foreigners who may have lost out on a genuine attempt to stay here and comply with the law????? Shouldn't we be getting behind them and the injustice once again of farang being taken advantage of here and expected to just roll over and take it with a 'mai pen rai - this is thailand'????

I really hope these card holders get some compensation and their visa priveledges extended.

Good post imjustagirl :o

I'm a owner of the Elite card...already have a permanent residents

The Thailand Elite applications forms I have seen state one cannot become a member if they are a permanent resident and if they become a permanent resident later, they must forfeit Elite membership. In light of this, your post seems to lack credibility so would you mind clearing this up?

:o

just the kind of response that i am talking about Midas, thank you for proving my point

just the kind of response that i am talking about Midas, thank you for proving my point

imjustagirl its a cruel world ! And you are probably the type of person

who thought bailing out the Wall Street Bankers was also the right thing to do

- Thailand Elite subscribers were taken for a ride - and they should have known better :D

Hmmm...very exciting times for Elite Card holders.

Glad to hear the visa will be sustained for the duration of the membership, mine being a lifetime one.

Happy border running to all the noobs with pure negative feedback. You can calculate out the costs Elite versus Other visa options, but the one I have is for life, post a wee topic in ten years time and let me know how much time and money youve lost.

still, 1 million baht is a lot of money just to get a lfetimes worth of visas.....

....or is it?

(someone please do the maths on this for the rest of us poor, lazy, common people)

that would depend on how old you are, wouldnt it?

Yes it would Sherlock.

imjustagirl its a cruel world ! And you are probably the type of person

who thought bailing out the Wall Street Bankers was also the right thing to do

- Thailand Elite subscribers were taken for a ride - and they should have known better :D

emmm no i do not support the bankers bailout - they blew our money by their recklessness and we should not have to pay for these 'banksters' mistakes (unless you are of the school of thought that this is organised seizure of assets)....but that is kinda off topic - i don't see what this has to do with that. These are people who spent their own cash on an investment to live here, i would think in most cases the card was bought purely for the visa. What does it matter if they are wealthy or not....are you saying anyone with a bit of cash deserves to lose their consumer rights and be ripped off? :D As i said some of us who have been here a while were wisely suspicious, but that still does not make it right for these people to get scammed, whether they could afford the to lose the money or not. These are individuals personal wealth, not a banks fraudulent misuse of our wealth.

Edited by imjustagirl

Breaking News:

Thailand Elite Card is abandoned

BANGKOK: -- The loss-making Thailand Elite Card, launched in 2003 to lure wealthy tourists and business people to Thailand, will be scrapped, a government spokesman said. Only 2,570 were members in 2008.

-- Reuters/Bangkok Post 2009-01-29

The Elite Card wasn't for cheap spas or golf of fast tracking thru immigration.

I submit it was an avenue for wealthy businessmen to buy contacts in the government. Elite card holders have access to politicians, generals.

Try to run a business here without any inside contacts. The card was a way to buy friends in high places, put them on your board.

I'm a owner of the Elite card...already have a permanent residents

The Thailand Elite applications forms I have seen state one cannot become a member if they are a permanent resident and if they become a permanent resident later, they must forfeit Elite membership. In light of this, your post seems to lack credibility so would you mind clearing this up?

I'm not 100% sure with the permanent residence stuff since my dad got it all sorted out when I was younger. But i have a white book which is a permanent residence book, also have a yellow travel book which i use to travel in and out of the country, this I need to renew the visa every year. Therefore I would not need my original passport to go in and out of the country. I guess I have temporary permanent residence, I can stay in thailand for as long as I want till my visa expires and I have to renew it again which is every year. If the business closes down or for other reasons, my permanent residence would be revoked, so its not really permanent in a way. Hope that clears some things up for you. But my case is 100% legal with the policies of Thai Elite, not cutting through any red tape here. :o

The Elite Card wasn't for cheap spas or golf of fast tracking thru immigration.

I submit it was an avenue for wealthy businessmen to buy contacts in the government. Elite card holders have access to politicians, generals.

Try to run a business here without any inside contacts. The card was a way to buy friends in high places, put them on your board.

I have to disagree with you, just because the name is "ELITE" many people link elite members with politicians or the elites of thai society. The government tries to make the member look like elites of the thai society, but they are just ordinary business owners in thailand who wants a little more convenience whether its for visas or have the priviledge to golf at numerous golf courses around thailand and use the various spa services. Elite members don't get to know any politicians or the real elite members of thai society when they join the program. You can run a business here without knowing any inside contacts, it will just take you longer to accomplish what you want. As everyone knows a little money in thailand can save you lots of time and trouble, no need to know any politicians or people with any influence. The card is not a way to buy friends in high places and put them on your board, that you have to find on your own. I just want to get the record straight, since everyone seems to be portraying elite members in a negative way when they don't have any first hand experience and just making things up!

i have a white book which is a permanent residence book, also have a yellow travel book which i use to travel in and out of the country, this I need to renew the visa every year. Therefore I would not need my original passport to go in and out of the country. I guess I have temporary permanent residence, I can stay in thailand for as long as I want till my visa expires and I have to renew it again which is every year. If the business closes down or for other reasons, my permanent residence would be revoked, so its not really permanent in a way. Hope that clears some things up for you

No, it just muddles it beyond my imagination.