The 50 Worst Things About Modern Football

R123

pretty good that. money has to be top of the list though. it's eaten away the game's soul.

though i have to say that playing music after a goal is scored is right, right up there in annoyances. was it bolton that were first to do it or middlesbrough? horrible, horrible development.

I agree with you StevieH, but would like to add number 13......... :o

13. Injuries

“We’re down to the bare bones” and it’s not surprising considering that modern-day footballers are about as tough and durable as a Ming vase. Half of them can’t run without pulling a hamstring and the other half can’t tackle with breaking a metatarsal. What’s a hamstring anyway? And how come Bobby Moore never pulled one?

pretty good that. money has to be top of the list though. it's eaten away the game's soul.

Was it not TV, or a derivative of it, that brought the money in the first place....!

A lot of Dire Straits songs and lyrics spring to mind when thinking of todays game............. :o

redrus

Was it not TV, or a derivative of it, that brought the money in the first place....!

A lot of Dire Straits songs and lyrics spring to mind when thinking of todays game............. :o

not being nostalgic for the sake of it, but it was a more enjoyable game when there wasn't the same money in it. just that fewer people got to watch it.

not being nostalgic for the sake of it, but it was a more enjoyable game when there wasn't the same money in it. just that fewer people got to watch it.

I can't disgree with you mate, I'm not as old as some on TV but, I started going in in 81, I was 5 and yes it was a different game even then. We signed Robbo in 82 was it, from WBA for the record (paltry sum) fee of £1.2 million....! :D

redrus

hehe. it's not that long ago that real footballers didn't even wear shinpads. and if you dived to try and win a foul you'd get a bunch of fives. great days.

When I first started playing in 1952 we quite inventive. My shin pads were one Readers Digest spit in half. It was very thoughtfull for them to print in that size.

But my greatest loathing for the modern game is the shirt pulling , arm wrestling that goes with every set piece or when a player is thundering towards the oppositions goal.Its nothing more than cheating and cowardice. Could easily be stopped by issuing a card for any player transgressing and would stop 90% of it in its tracks. The authorities appear to have no interest in preventing it , has become acceptable the so called "professional foul"

Every free kick just outside the box has 5 minutes of jockying and pushing and shoving ...totally boring. In the old days to touch another player was no-no unless you were punching him and that was pretty rare.

hehe. it's not that long ago that real footballers didn't even wear shinpads. and if you dived to try and win a foul you'd get a bunch of fives. great days.

When I first started playing in 1952 we quite inventive. My shin pads were one Readers Digest spit in half. It was very thoughtfull for them to print in that size.

But my greatest loathing for the modern game is the shirt pulling , arm wrestling that goes with every set piece or when a player is thundering towards the oppositions goal.Its nothing more than cheating and cowardice. Could easily be stopped by issuing a card for any player transgressing and would stop 90% of it in its tracks. The authorities appear to have no interest in preventing it , has become acceptable the so called "professional foul"

Every free kick just outside the box has 5 minutes of jockying and pushing and shoving ...totally boring. In the old days to touch another player was no-no unless you were punching him and that was pretty rare.

Readers Digest,Sparks? What a studious child you must have been.