A Clear Path To A Non "o" Visa

This is my forth trip back to Thailand and I planned to stay a year and unfortunately did very little home work before coming. Now I am reading all kinds of stuff on web sites, forums and from some established farang's here in Thailand. I am embarrassed to say I am confused with all the different scenarios! Please give the best not necessarily the easiest step by step clear path, the requirements and the timing when each step comes into play. I am a retired 56 year old American male and have USD $2,500 per month pension with USD $5,000 in savings in a US bank. I arrived in Phuket on Jan.6 and my 30 day stamp is up on Feb. 4. Right now I am in Mukdahan but plan to go back to Phuket through Bangkok as soon as I get a handle on what to do with out shooting myself in the foot. Because of this late date close to the 30 days expiring take this under consideration with the steps involved, should I do something here at Savannakhet or get to Panang ASAP?? :o

You can get yearly extensions to stay with your pension.

The Police Order dealing with extensions. You want 2.22

Visit a Thai Consulate in a neighbouring country and apply for a Non O Imm Visa. If not a Tourist Visa will do.

Go to the USA Embassy in Bangkok and get a letter verifying your monthly income. Go to immigration and apply for a 12 month extension for retirement.

Jump across the river and get a single entry non-o at the consulate in Savannakhet (2000 baht).

The next step after that will be to go by the US embassy and get and income affidavit that shows at least the the equivelant of 65.000 baht monthly income. You don't have to show any proof because you will be swearing an oath that what you put on the affidavit is true and correct.

They have an appointment system. See this link for info: http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service.html

Whereever you plan on living you should open a Thai bank account and start using it and show some tranfers into the county. Some immigration offices will want to see a bank book shwoing you have some money coming in along with the income affidavit.

When you are down to the last 30 days of your permit to stay from your non-o go to immigration and apply for your extension.

At Savannakhet what exactly am I receiving for application for a Non O visa? Is it 30,60 or 90 days from my entry on Jan 6 2009. For the application do I need two copies of my front page of visa two photos and Visa form filled out and because of the retirement status and that I am not married I will not need any of the forms talked about for that? Can I get a blank form from the immigration office in Mukdahan. Is it when I go to extend this period of time to a year at an immigration office that all the proof of income etc. comes into play?

At Savannakhet what exactly am I receiving for application for a Non O visa? Is it 30,60 or 90 days from my entry on Jan 6 2009. For the application do I need two copies of my front page of visa two photos and Visa form filled out and because of the retirement status and that I am not married I will not need any of the forms talked about for that? Can I get a blank form from the immigration office in Mukdahan. Is it when I go to extend this period of time to a year at an immigration office that all the proof of income etc. comes into play?
You will get 90 days when you enter Thailand from Laos after getting the visa.

You will need one photo for the Lao visa on arrival you get at Lao side of the bridge. Also 1500 baht or $35. When you fill out the application for the visa you will need a hotel name if you don't have one yet use Hotel Mekong (only name I can remember).

Immigration will not have a copy of any visa application form.

You need to be at the consulate before 11 AM and you will get your passport back the next afternoon at 2 PM. When you get to the consulate go to the window you will get a number and an application form. You will need nothing more than a copy of your passport photo page and 2 photos. Just in case they ask it might be good to have a copy of your bank statement from your US bank. The Savannakhet consulate can be a little unfriendly and might ask for it,

You will not need to show income until you go to immigration.

Hello I have no more questions but want to give some feedback that may be useful to others. As I write I am in Savannakht and went to the

Thai counsel ate to apply for a Non "O" visa status a retired I had with me my pics and copies of the first ans second page of passport and of course my passport. I filled out an application for the Non "O" and when I took it to the official at the window asked me for bank records and asked me to sit down. The bank records were the last two statements from my US bank showing I had $4,500 in savings and a monthly deposit USD $2,500 87000 baht . After about 1/2 hour he came out of the main bldg. and informed me his superior would give me a tourist visa, not a Non "O" because he wanted to to see records of at least one month from a Thai bank showing at least 60k to 65k baht a month deposits and a certified letter from same bank. Tomorrow I will go get my 60 tourist visa and head back to Phuket area. :o

What a bunch of xxxx at Savannakht. There is no reason for that. At least you got a tourist visa.

I feel bad because I sent you there.

You will need to do a change of visa statius now instead of going straight to your extension. Just be sure you do it before you have 21 days left on your entry. Also remember you can get a 30 day extension if you end up needing more time..

Did you come across somebody while you were at the consulate that was getting a non-o to visit his child. I hope he had better luck.

Yes he was a very nice Irish man and he gave me the thumbs up for him when he was called back to the window meaning he was going to get his Non "O" We would be staying at the same hotel tonight but we both assumed we would end up and the same place and did not swap enough info to get that done. Yes I am ok with a tourist visa and plan on extending it, however my stay here now hinges on some financial stuff that is developing for me this week and will be complete Feb. 6. So I will either have more money and make all things easier here or I will have to make a plan to go back to USA. I did not anticipate this was going to happen this soon but if it is like my partner said then all is well and I will be around for a while in Thailand and on these forums.

Thanks for your assistance and concern.

At least one positive report.

At least you didn't have to travel far to get your visa. Remember that if you only needed a short trip to the states you could get a re-entry permit that would keep your permit to stay alive.

Good Luck

Joe