Is Phuket Really Safe For Families With Young Children?

Syl

Is Phuket really safe for family's with young children?

Having lived in Phuket for a number of years without children this question never really entered my head.

Since the birth of my daughter back in 07, safety for family was always on my mind especially when leaving the house.

I started to notice the lack of safety that Phuket has for family's with young children, be it as a resident or holiday maker.

It would be nice to hear your comments on safety issues for young children that Phuket have or have not?

Please no naming and shaming, as this is not my intentions of this thread.

Syl.

Is Phuket really safe for family's with young children?

Having lived in Phuket for a number of years without children this question never really entered my head.

Since the birth of my daughter back in 07, safety for family was always on my mind especially when leaving the house.

I started to notice the lack of safety that Phuket has for family's with young children, be it as a resident or holiday maker.

It would be nice to hear your comments on safety issues for young children that Phuket have or have not?

Please no naming and shaming, as this is not my intentions of this thread.

Syl.

Not sure what you mean by safety but if its on the roads then I can tell you what I did, no more motorbike with the baby/child, although I do use for short rural journeys, the children love it!! I know what you will say!!! But I now have a car, and car seats, AND they are made to use them!! it makes it as safe as possible here in the crazy driving conditions on the island :o

I have a 3 year old and see so many safety (or lack of) concerns almost everyday here in Phuket.

Just last night at the Wat Chalong Festival, my son likes to ride the kiddie rides and was running from one to the other when one nearby merry go round kind of ride hit him as they were packed close together with no walkway between and rides swinging all over the place. Just amazing that there no eye for safety of any kind. How about the volume of the different vendor's sound systems all trying to be the loudest? This is common in Thailand but more so in crowded places.

Holes in the concrete gutters at the sides of the road, food stalls and shops built out into the streets so you have to walk in traffic to go anywhere, kids that can't be more than 9 or 10 driving themselves home from school on their motorbike through heavy traffic everyday. (how do these kids get through those police checkpoints at Chalong circle? They can't have a driver's license?), no bicycle helmets even sold here for kids. etc etc etc.

But, through it all, i would still rather have my child brought up here in the LOS where they are happy and playing in the streets with each other and sharing toys and things i never see any more back in the states.

I have a daughter at 23 months and I would like to weigh in on this:

The Thai people really love children. When we go to Woodys, she goes behind the counter and plays with the girls. Most places are like this. This is the safest place I have ever been with my girl. Hongkong was a nightmare, S'Pore same. Goa was alright, but Phuket is great.

PMme and we can get our daughters together for playdates. She is big for her age, and loves to destroy sand castles, but everyone knows her and whenever we go to Central or places like that, the Thai's all call her out by name.

In my opinion, I raised a girl in Dallas and she is 18 now. It was a rough place. Phuket is great. No worries or complaints here.

todd

the jet skis are a menace to children at the beach. They should have a designated are for them to park instead of letting them race up on the beach any old place.

There used to be roped off areas for swimming only on most of the main beaches. Is that not the case nowadays ?

the jet skis are a menace to children at the beach. They should have a designated are for them to park instead of letting them race up on the beach any old place.

There used to be roped off areas for swimming only on most of the main beaches. Is that not the case nowadays ?

Should be the other way round. People should have the beach to use (where the currents are safe at least) and the jetskis have their designated area, preferably out at sea somewhere.

I agree with those who said that dangers to look out for in Phuket are:

Broken gutters/drains

Motorbikes and cars

Jet skies

I always got a rented home in a Thai area where there was a village feel and we all looked out for each other's children like one large family. I chose Rawai and Naiharn mainly. Although saying that Rawai beach isn't nice and Naiharn has some very dangerous rips and lagoon areas - so maybe best for older kids. But the whole atmosphere down there is great for children with a healthy mix of farangs and Thai families, restaurants welcome families, arty stuff available.

There are lots of snakes too but you just have to educate :o

Yeah, it's all relative.

On the moo baan where i live, there are always a lot of old people hanging about, gossiping and generally keeping an eye on things. They are the eyes and ears of the place. Befriend them. That adds a bit of safety to where you live. These older women love kids and will keep an eye on them and your house too.

Outside and away from your home - yes there are problems. BUT, be aware of them and then make sure YOU take responsibility. My favourite observation is in the busy market areas. I regularly see braziers with a large pan of hot oil on them, at about 1 metre off the floor - just the right height for a child to knock it onto his head. Solution? Carry your child or use a child harness and leash.

You will eventually start developing a 6th sense as to the presence of danger and take responsibility accordingly.

Same with the beaches. You wouldnt leave your child unattended on any beach in the world. Would you? Well its the same here.......there are rip currents and the red flags are flown then. Take responsibilty for your own kids. No need to expect the state to nanny them. As a parent, you know what is dangerous and what is not.

I dont believe Phuket is particularly any more dangerous than anywhere else in the world. I'd say it's safer here than, say, London or New York.

The true danger probably comes when they are 15 and want to ride a motorbike as if they are playing a video game.....................

My observations into the lack of child safety on Phuket are:

No head protection for youngsters on motorbikes as a rider or passenger.

Not many child seats fitted in cars.

Open water wells,

None use of fencing around open bodies of water.

Lack of pavements to walk on.

Cars & bikes not stopping at crossings or at red lights.

Playing near or in water, unsupervised.

Open electrical installations.

Lack of safety class/ plastics on the upper part of escalators.

Poor construction of some hotels & guessed houses.

Unclean drinking water & ice.

Infected food.

The list is endless!!!

Training, education and massive public awareness campaigns are imperative to change behaviour!!!

Every day over 2000 children die from an injury which could have been prevented if the parents or careers was more educated about their actions regarding child safety.

I think Phuket has a long way to go if it wants to market safe holidays for families with young children!!!

Syl.

post-74273-1233681771.jpg

post-74273-1233681786.jpg

Edited by Syl

carers / parents / guardians being educated / switched on has nothing to do with Phuket being more or less safe - they are obliged to educate themselves (parental responsibility should start and end at home)

family groups who are not aware of potential dangers or merely assume the world is as 'safe' as home are liable to have accidents anywhere

had many friends visit with very young children with (of course thankfully) no accidents but then they are sensible and aware (without being overly cautious so as not to have a good time)

My observations into the lack of child safety on Phuket are:

No head protection for youngsters on motorbikes as a rider or passenger.

Not many child seats fitted in cars.

Open water wells,

None use of fencing around open bodies of water.

Lack of pavements to walk on.

Cars & bikes not stopping at crossings or at red lights.

Playing near or in water, unsupervised.

Open electrical installations.

Lack of safety class/ plastics on the upper part of escalators.

Poor construction of some hotels & guessed houses.

Unclean drinking water & ice.

Infected food.

The list is endless!!!

Training, education and massive public awareness campaigns are imperative to change behaviour!!!

Every day over 2000 children die from an injury which could have been prevented if the parents or careers was more educated about their actions regarding child safety.

I think Phuket has a long way to go if it wants to market safe holidays for families with young children!!!

Syl.

You are right of course, and what you say is common sense, we all, that live here know what you are saying, ITS not new we live with it everyday! But Thailand is a third world country (getting better mind) if it concerns you so much best have your children in 20 years, you think you can wait until then, It could be better but don't bank on it, WE and YOU are small voices in a foreign country :o

Parents that want to hear that its all fine and dandy will go to any lengths to deny theres additional obvious dangers to justify their choices.. But mortality rates speak otherwise (mates have died, my wife died, all unnecessary and preventable)..

I've got to agree with this, but they are fairly consistent in closing discussions surrounding Paedophilia which I suspect was the problem here. But, as the 'first' offending poster, I still feel it's a very relevant point if you want to thoroughly discuss child safety in any Thai beach resort - it ought to be of serious concern to any responsible parent. So yes indeed, how are we to learn the whole truth on this subject if we are forced to omit a key point? I fear the answer is that we have another pointless thread.

Edited by Lite Beer
Quote Removed. Lite Beer

So Syl, you branch out to abuse posters who have an opinion on the question you asked? My comment, as a responsible parent, was meant as saying 'How safe is anywhere...' - Phuket has it's weak points, yes, but so does every other town/city/island/country. One thing you could do, if you are genuine Syl, is post how old your children are and what are your real concerns... and after that maybe WHY you are here if it's so bad :o

So Syl, you branch out to abuse posters who have an opinion on the question you asked? My comment, as a responsible parent, was meant as saying 'How safe is anywhere...' - Phuket has it's weak points, yes, but so does every other town/city/island/country. One thing you could do, if you are genuine Syl, is post how old your children are and what are your real concerns... and after that maybe WHY you are here if it's so bad :o

Nampeung, Answers to your questions are:

Why should other towns & countries have anything to do with safety in Phuket or Thailand?

And it is very clear to anybody that lives here or have lived here, or spent time here.That as a whole people are ignorant to the facts regarding dangers for young children that cannot protect themselves from the dangers that Phuket have.

So it is up to the parents to protect and educate their offspring! What sort of example would you say that Phuket provides for youngsters when the parents have no sense of danger regarding safety ? Sixteen years ago I first came to Phuket for a holiday, no crash helmets worn on bikes, the funny thing was that too many Thais used to point out while laughing, that my lights are on when I was riding my motorbike.

So I am pleased to say that Phuket is changing regarding safety, but it is also down to the parents to show an example, and the Police to enforce safety laws.

I have a business and a house on the island, my wife is Thai and I have a 12 year old stepdaughter who was born in Bangkok, and a 18 months old daughter who was born in Phuket, so in some peoples eyes, maybe it has nothing to do with me.

I would say that my real concerns regarding my families safety is the ignorance of other people. This is why my family is in the UK nice and safe. I plan to sale up in Phuket when the market is right.

Syl

post-74273-1233832737_thumb.jpg

So Syl, you branch out to abuse posters who have an opinion on the question you asked? My comment, as a responsible parent, was meant as saying 'How safe is anywhere...' - Phuket has it's weak points, yes, but so does every other town/city/island/country. One thing you could do, if you are genuine Syl, is post how old your children are and what are your real concerns... and after that maybe WHY you are here if it's so bad :D

Nampeung, Answers to your questions are:

Why should other towns & countries have anything to do with safety in Phuket or Thailand?

And it is very clear to anybody that lives here or have lived here, or spent time here.That as a whole people are ignorant to the facts regarding dangers for young children that cannot protect themselves from the dangers that Phuket have.

So it is up to the parents to protect and educate their offspring! What sort of example would you say that Phuket provides for youngsters when the parents have no sense of danger regarding safety ? Sixteen years ago I first came to Phuket for a holiday, no crash helmets worn on bikes, the funny thing was that too many Thais used to point out while laughing, that my lights are on when I was riding my motorbike.

So I am pleased to say that Phuket is changing regarding safety, but it is also down to the parents to show an example, and the Police to enforce safety laws.

I have a business and a house on the island, my wife is Thai and I have a 12 year old stepdaughter who was born in Bangkok, and a 18 months old daughter who was born in Phuket, so in some peoples eyes, maybe it has nothing to do with me.

I would say that my real concerns regarding my families safety is the ignorance of other people. This is why my family is in the UK nice and safe. I plan to sale up in Phuket when the market is right.

Syl

There you go then you have the solution its to have move back to the uk where you feel safe ?? and you can look after your new wife who is younger than your 48 years I am sure, and maybe she is educated, I wish you the best of luck, really I do , please keep us all updated. :o