Driver License Expired Months Ago-- What To Do?

farangene

I just realized my Thai driver license expired 3 months ago. :o

1. Will there be any hassle to renew it since it is expired?

2. Will I get another five years renewal (like my last license)?

3. I have moved to a new address since my last license. Am I required to get another certified Address notarization from the US Embassy to get the new Drivers license?

Thanks in advance. :D

I just realized my Thai driver license expired 3 months ago. :o

1. Will there be any hassle to renew it since it is expired? No - I am pretty sure you have 12 months to renew it

2. Will I get another five years renewal (like my last license)? Yes

3. I have moved to a new address since my last license. Am I required to get another certified Address notarization from the US Embassy to get the new Drivers license? Yes, but you would have needed that anyway. Your local immigration should be able to provide this, no need for the Embassy

Thanks in advance. :D

Good luck

Just go to your local Government office and ask, they all have a slightly different take on the rules, my local office asks me to provide a translation of my English license........ (until I piont out that the main office for our Province doesn't require as such, then they just make me wait a day or two :o )

When I changed the owner of my pickup from myself to my wife, they asked us to provide the legal marriage certificate plus copies, fine I thought, but when we returned with that they asked for my wifes parents to sign the form, I told my wife to tell them that it would be impossible unless a Monk was present because thay were dead, she said they would just ask for the paper work to prove it (they are both alive and well by the way :D )

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

I got my renewal today at Soi 101 in Bkk. People at the various desks were quite helpful.

First, although the drivers license for Farangs is good for one year after expiration, you are not (legally) allowed to drive with it after it has expired according to one of the people with whom I talked.

I had to take the 4 ability tests (accelerator to brake reaction time, color blindness test, depth perception test and peripheral vision test. There was a short 5 minute film (Thai language) explaining the tests before I took them. The only one that was not well explained in the film was the depth perception test but it wasn't that difficult to pass it.

I did not have a Medical certificate and it was not requested.

I was told that I had to watch the one hour (in English) or 50 minutes (in Thai) film about the traffic laws. Found it generally boring but I did learn out some information that I did not know after driving 6+ years in Bangkok. I expected to take the written driving test after viewing the film but was sent to the next station where I just paid my fee, had my picture taken and 5 minutes later had my new drivers license.

All in all, not a bad experience.