Shipping A Car To Thailand...

Espina

Hi!!!

Anyone have the nuts and bolts on how to ship/import a car to thailand??? There was a thread on this a few years ago, but I can't find it. Something about taking the engine out and shipping separately.*

Thanks!!!

(08 e-350 4matic) Long Beach

*yes, we know it's a headache already.

Edited by Espina

Having work in the transport industry in Thailand for 10 years we have found it nearly impossible to import a car if you are a farang. Tax of 200+% puts most people off immediately. Having said that, I did hear of one outfit that claimed that they have found a way around the regs but have not heard any more since.

Maybe somebody else has as I'd certainly like to know.

Having work in the transport industry in Thailand for 10 years we have found it nearly impossible to import a car if you are a farang. Tax of 200+% puts most people off immediately. Having said that, I did hear of one outfit that claimed that they have found a way around the regs but have not heard any more since.

This would be imported by a Thai National, if that changes anything. Do you know which office we should contact???

BSJ: Post specifics of what you do know or simply don't post. The OP clearly states that we know it may be headache but regulations do change for the better sometimes hence the query.

Hi!!!

Anyone have the nuts and bolts on how to ship/import a car to thailand??? There was a thread on this a few years ago, but I can't find it. Something about taking the engine out and shipping separately.*

Thanks!!!

(08 e-350 4matic) Long Beach

*yes, we know it's a headache already.

Very easy just put it in container and pick it up at customs. Drive home. Let us know how much it cost.

kurnell How about shipping cars out of Thailand any idea of cost to say Sydney??

Espina, you would do well to read this saga:-

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Importing-Car-Uk-t15900.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Car-Import-Regs-t17604.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Car-Import-Update-t23946.html

Fairly old threads but the law hasn't changed recently so I suspect you'll be having a similar 'experience'.

EDIT Just noticed you'll be using a Thai national, never heard of anyone getting through via this route either but likely more possible.

To be totally honest it would be more economical to sell the vehicle back home and buy one here.

Edited by Crossy

kurnell How about shipping cars out of Thailand any idea of cost to say Sydney??

http://www.expatmotors.co.th/export.html

Friend paid about 45,000 baht all in for his car to arrive in the UK...

Another is Marks Motors Thailand, not sure if they only do truck/pickups

$US1,250 + 7% VAT to port only. You can take it from there.

Edited by kurnell

Thanks for the answers. We'll give it a pass. Shipping it in parts still presents the headache of having to register a car that has never been registered before plus the additional shipping headaches.

If bringing in a car is anything like bringing in a bike, I wouldn't advise shipping it in parts and having it reassembled here. The hassles you'd go through to have it legally registered after being put back together are probably not worth it.

(and the more I think about it, the more BSJ's can of spaghetti seems to fit the situation perfectly !!) :o

I'm confused as to how they come up with the value of the car... they mention this:

Tax and Duty Assessment:

The Customs value of the imported vehicles is determined on the basis of the CIF value (Cost & Insurance & Freight).

[1]

Customs Value

Purchase prices of new vehicles imported or exported by an authorized dealer.

So for a second-hand car, do they use the original purchase price as the basis? Or the purchase price at the time in Thailand (what if the car wasn't even sold here at the time?)... So my question basically is how do they come up with the "CIF" above (ok, i understand the Insurance and Freight part, but "Cost" is so vague here it could be anything.... ideas?

I'm confused as to how they come up with the value of the car... they mention this:

Tax and Duty Assessment:

The Customs value of the imported vehicles is determined on the basis of the CIF value (Cost & Insurance & Freight).

[1]

Customs Value

Purchase prices of new vehicles imported or exported by an authorized dealer.

So for a second-hand car, do they use the original purchase price as the basis? Or the purchase price at the time in Thailand (what if the car wasn't even sold here at the time?)... So my question basically is how do they come up with the "CIF" above (ok, i understand the Insurance and Freight part, but "Cost" is so vague here it could be anything.... ideas?

They use one of two methods.. The 'think of a number and double it' method..

Or the 'how much will this dumb farang who didnt check the rules bear before he cracks and walks away' method.

Not sure how they determine the "Cost" part of the calculation. Could be based on the insured value, or possibly Thailand has a "Blue Book" like insurance companies and auto-dealers have, that shows the estimated values for various makes/models/years.

That would make sense, as some people might try sneaking in vehicles claiming them to be old junkers, but a quick glance at the insured value, or the "Blue Book" value would show if they were actually highly valuable vehicles in "junkers clothing".

(just as a loose example, say someone tried bringing in a '57 vette, and declared the cost of this 52 year old vehicle to be $5,000. But the Customs guy looks at the insured value of the vehicle (or the Blue Book value) and sees it's actually a $50,000 dollar collector's item).

Then again, maybe they just pick a number out of the air in the same manner as picking out the secret, magic winning lottery number (that never seems to win). :o

I am in the process of importing a Triumph TR6.

The cost value is based on the new value in the country of origin.

In this case - the car is a 1976 model.

Say the new price was 3,000 GBP - then allow for a discount 90% due to the cars age.

Import value is then set at 300 GBP by the commerce dept.

This is then stated on the import licence which is valid for 3 months.

From CIF

C= 300 GBP

I= insurance = 1% freight

F= Freight = 534 GBP

So - 540 + 300 = 840 or 42000 THB

Now apply 213% for import duty = 89,460 THB.

That's the logic and numbers.

My car is waiting shippment by container.

My Thai wife is discussing the import with Customs at Laem Chabang prior to the car being shipped.

Also note the car is a non runner and requires:

Full paint

Electrics

Engine overhaul

Interior.

The costs to restore in the UK are prohibitive

In essence it's a low appeal car as it requires much restoration.

Will follow up after meeting with customs.