Emirates, Etihad.....vs Other Carriers

think_too_mut

I have been on Emirates only once, to HKG and back. The plane was brand new and the cabin was state of the art.

On US carriers, I have been many times and for last ten years I have never missed a chance to compare them to world's worst rubbish airlines when it comes to service.

Since many here fly Emirates and Etihad to BKK, one interesting article from the Economist travel email:

A class apart

Categories: Emirates US Airways

CONSIDER two recent flights, both long haul into London.

Flight A. The plane looks new. Service begins with hot towels and distribution of a menu, and remains attentive throughout. The meals are copious and excellent. With a 600-channel entertainment system and a good headset, time passes quickly. A socket on the back of the seat in front enables you to keep personal electronic devices powered throughout. The effort to please and accommodate the passengers' needs is obvious in every detail.

Flight B. The plane is old. There is no personal entertainment system, but a single film on central screens. Passengers have to pay for the headsets. The food is barely edible, the cabin service minimal: breakfast—a heated bun—is literally thrown down on some seats. And the seating is about as cramped as on Ryanair. If any thought has been given to pleasing passengers, it is not obvious—though plenty has clearly been given to cost-cutting.

If you imagined that Flight A was in business class and Flight B in economy, you would be wrong. Both were in economy. Flight A was with Emirates and Flight B with US Airways.

Now, you clearly can't complain about the skills of US Airways' pilots, who can land an Airbus safely on the Hudson river. Unfortunately, when it comes to service rather than safety, it's another story—and the US Airways flight is all too typical of many American carriers. Domestic flights are even worse than the international ones: stuffy, corners cut and not so much as a complimentary cola.

The recession will surely make the experience of flying on American carriers even grimmer. And the gulf between the third-world service they offer and the customer-friendly flights of Emirates, Singapore Airlines and the like will grow.

Edited by think_too_mut

Agreed. Travel in economy class does vary greatly between carriers.

Legroom is important to me, so sometimes I ditch excellent service eg. ANA because legroom is poor.

It is also worth checking the aircraft you will be flying on. For example BKK to London on Emirates can include travel on the new A380 from Dubai-London for the same price as the cramped 777. I would rather wait an extra hour in Dubai and enjoy the extra comfort of the A380 more width and 33 inch legroom. The crew on the new A380 are so proud to be flying in it they provide excellent service.

Unless travelling in Business class, I find flights more than 8 hours too much.

I've never flown emirates but I have etihad - very impressed. I think I prefer the direct europe-BKK flight though so that takes them out of the equation. definitely fly them again some day, as I would qatar too.

flying etihad, qatar etc to bkk means changing planes just when I'm ready for some Z action. results in a zombie-like game wondering around the airport trying to stay awake before the next flight takes off. :o

I've never flown emirates but I have etihad - very impressed. I think I prefer the direct europe-BKK flight though so that takes them out of the equation. definitely fly them again some day, as I would qatar too.

flying etihad, qatar etc to bkk means changing planes just when I'm ready for some Z action. results in a zombie-like game wondering around the airport trying to stay awake before the next flight takes off. :o

I've only ever flown emirates so i can't compare with any other airline,but from what i hear Etihad are on par with Emirates. I like the idea of landing in dubai after a seven hour flight from manchester,it's a good idea to have a good walk round the airport to stretch your legs before your six hour flight to Bangkok. Our last trip included our eight month son which we booked a bassinet on the flights. I must say Emirates were excellent in accommodating us and our sons needs throughout the journey and on our return. We even beat business class custumers through passport control in bangkok.I cant see us not using them in the future.

Agreed. Travel in economy class does vary greatly between carriers.

Legroom is important to me, so sometimes I ditch excellent service eg. ANA because legroom is poor.

It is also worth checking the aircraft you will be flying on. For example BKK to London on Emirates can include travel on the new A380 from Dubai-London for the same price as the cramped 777. I would rather wait an extra hour in Dubai and enjoy the extra comfort of the A380 more width and 33 inch legroom. The crew on the new A380 are so proud to be flying in it they provide excellent service.

Unless travelling in Business class, I find flights more than 8 hours too much.

Hi

Are Emirates using the A380 already?!!!

and from which UK airports?!!

I flew with them once and thought them very very good considering the cost, plus Gatwick was an easier & nicer London Airport than LHR.

Dave

think_too_mut,

I find it interesting that you are worried about service standards on the aircrafts, yet the safety ones don't worry you. I recall recently on another thread about TG, you posted 'Rubbish' to a comment I made in regards to airline safety, yet you don't seem to be concerned with the real facts in that area. By the way I have updated that post for you.

You are right though, many airlines have been looking at costs for some time now, I am sure downsized meals and service will help them with this.

For your information Emirates and the sheikh's in Dubai have been in so much financial trouble lately that they have just sold a large portion (I think 70%) of the Airline to Etihad. Given that Abu Dhabi & Dubai are fierce competitors when it comes to EVERYTHING, it is certainly an interesting time for those two airlines. I will be interested to see what happens between the two airlines now.

Good luck with your bread rolls and cola.....I hope the plane is being service properly. :o

think_too_mut,

I find it interesting that you are worried about service standards on the aircrafts, yet the safety ones don't worry you. I recall recently on another thread about TG, you posted 'Rubbish' to a comment I made in regards to airline safety, yet you don't seem to be concerned with the real facts in that area. By the way I have updated that post for you.

You are right though, many airlines have been looking at costs for some time now, I am sure downsized meals and service will help them with this.

For your information Emirates and the sheikh's in Dubai have been in so much financial trouble lately that they have just sold a large portion (I think 70%) of the Airline to Etihad. Given that Abu Dhabi & Dubai are fierce competitors when it comes to EVERYTHING, it is certainly an interesting time for those two airlines. I will be interested to see what happens between the two airlines now.

Good luck with your bread rolls and cola.....I hope the plane is being service properly. :o

You mean one relative sold Emirates (70%) to another in Abu Dhabi. Would really like to see the link to that news.

As for the A380, on the LHR route daily.

For your information Emirates and the sheikh's in Dubai have been in so much financial trouble lately that they have just sold a large portion (I think 70%) of the Airline to Etihad.

Rumours. Back in the Autumn there was an article in The Times which started this off & both airlines have been denying it ever since. http://in.reuters.com/article/asiaCompanyA...O57990320090124

Back to the OP & I agree that EK provide an excellent service & the layover suits me fine; even more so on the way back as I prefer to stopover for a couple of days & perhaps with the exception of Muscat, Dubai beats Doha, Abu Dhabi & Bahrain hands down.

Edited by ClaytonSeymour

think_too_mut,

Don't worry me? Probably this is why: my first job, after vocational mechanical engineering high school, was with an airline, as an airplane mechanic, for 2 years. B-727.(After that the airline sent me to University to study computers and I never returned.)

That was long before the advent of the low cost airlines. The procedures are rigorous and an omission in Thailand is almost as likely to be made as in the US. Those who misbehave get banned (like Garuda, Phuket Air...) from entire geographies.

There was a scandal 2 months ago with Qantas, a world renown airline.

An unskilled (clinically endorsed pathological liar) was employed as aircraft engineer, with authority to sign off other's engineers work. He had no any skills whatsoever and had lasted in his job for 2 years or so.

think_too_mut,

Don't worry me? Probably this is why: my first job, after vocational mechanical engineering high school, was with an airline, as an airplane mechanic, for 2 years. B-727.(After that the airline sent me to University to study computers and I never returned.)

That was long before the advent of the low cost airlines. The procedures are rigorous and an omission in Thailand is almost as likely to be made as in the US. Those who misbehave get banned (like Garuda, Phuket Air...) from entire geographies.

An unskilled (clinically endorsed pathological liar) was employed as aircraft engineer, with authority to sign off other's engineers work. He had no any skills whatsoever and had lasted in his job for 2 years or so.

Some scarey things certainly happen TTM & nothing would surprise me. Having said that....the stats speak for themselves, airtravel is still one of our safesty methods of transport.....especially if you were to compare, lets say motorcycle deaths in thailand :o .

You still havent responded to my previous allegations in the other topic & you are welcome to apologise to me....I like gold, food, good times (but not with you personally). :D

think_too_mut,

Some scarey things certainly happen TTM & nothing would surprise me. Having said that....the stats speak for themselves, airtravel is still one of our safesty methods of transport.....especially if you were to compare, lets say motorcycle deaths in thailand :o .

You still havent responded to my previous allegations in the other topic & you are welcome to apologise to me....I like gold, food, good times (but not with you personally). :D

Another thing that you got wrong : airtravel is the least safe mean of transportation after motorbikes. I had a thread about that 2 years ago when that reserach was published.

It took into consideration number of trips, duration, # of people carried...

(I don't remember seeing your handle ever before nor replying to you or where it could have been).

Undoubtedley Emirates are a great carrier but i ended up getting a tad cheesed off with Dubai Airport. Parking the plane too far from the terminal and having to bus it. Although that may have stopped now I had flown Etihad which was equally as good, so i took up the frequent flyer with Etihad. So i use them rather than any other airline. I used to love the old "mushroom" airport at Abu Dhabi but i think they opened the new airport last month and are progressively shifting the carriers to the new one. I'll look forward to going through it in a couple of months.

think_too_mut,

Another thing that you got wrong : airtravel is the least safe mean of transportation after motorbikes. I had a thread about that 2 years ago when that reserach was published.

It took into consideration number of trips, duration, # of people carried...

(I don't remember seeing your handle ever before nor replying to you or where it could have been).

I never posted that TTM. I said airtravel is considered to be a safe mode of transport compared to other forms.....you disagree with that do you?

The scarey thing is that when an airline starts to suffer financially, the first thing to suffer is normally the safety maintenance schedules.

I recall when Ansett went broke a few years ago, things started disappearing from inside the aircraft....nothing too serious, just life vests, safety slides, fire extinguishers etc :o ....only the stuff you need in an emergency situation :D .

That's rubbish. Reducing safety never comes on the agenda of any airline.

Who would ever want, for what purpose, the life jackets? What can they do with the items removed from the aircrafts?

Do you know what "safety slide" is? You would need a tractor to take it away, alllowed to meet the plane on the tarmac.

Perhaps, on the last flights of Ansett, some air transport fans wanted something with the Ansett insignia to keep. Nobody flew on those planes after them.

TTM, I have helped you out, the post is above, its from the topic "TG in trouble" or something like that. Now do you remember? Have you taken your meds this week? :D

If you take the time to read back thru the topic you will see stuff copied about what Ansett did & also the information I posted about 1 airline that was caught out doing this...all the information is available for you...OR do you just want to put your head back in the sand based on the theory that you were an apprentice aircraft engineer back in 1942 or whenever it was?

PS: Re-read because I actually clarify what I was saying in the quoted post above. Also please don't get angry in your response, this is all in good jest & please address me in future as ' Captain ' . TY. :D

Edited by neverdie

The scarey thing is that when an airline starts to suffer financially, the first thing to suffer is normally the safety maintenance schedules.

I recall when Ansett went broke a few years ago, things started disappearing from inside the aircraft....nothing too serious, just life vests, safety slides, fire extinguishers etc :o ....only the stuff you need in an emergency situation :D .

That's rubbish. Reducing safety never comes on the agenda of any airline.

Who would ever want, for what purpose, the life jackets? What can they do with the items removed from the aircrafts?

Do you know what "safety slide" is? You would need a tractor to take it away, alllowed to meet the plane on the tarmac.

Perhaps, on the last flights of Ansett, some air transport fans wanted something with the Ansett insignia to keep. Nobody flew on those planes after them.

TTM, I have helped you out, the post is above, its from the topic "TG in trouble" or something like that. Now do you remember? Have you taken your meds this week? :D

If you take the time to read back thru the topic you will see stuff copied about what Ansett did & also the information I posted about 1 airline that was caught out doing this...all the information is available for you...OR do you just want to put your head back in the sand based on the theory that you were an apprentice aircraft engineer back in 1942 or whenever it was?

PS: Re-read because I actually clarify what I was saying in the quoted post above. Also please don't get angry in your response, this is all in good jest & please address me in future as ' Captain ' . TY. :D

Rubbish post indeed. Adio.

TTM,

Typical of your type, cant be bothered to read the facts or take information from anyone, afterall only YOU know best. I guess the Civil Aircraft Accident Investigors get it wrong all the time....perhaps you could avail yourself for consultation, you seem very highly qualified for a failed 2nd year apprentice.

Easy to see why they slid you sideways out of an important job into a computer position, taking telephone bookings were you?

cherio to you.

Edited by neverdie

Undoubtedley Emirates are a great carrier but i ended up getting a tad cheesed off with Dubai Airport. Parking the plane too far from the terminal and having to bus it. Although that may have stopped now I had flown Etihad which was equally as good, so i took up the frequent flyer with Etihad. So i use them rather than any other airline. I used to love the old "mushroom" airport at Abu Dhabi but i think they opened the new airport last month and are progressively shifting the carriers to the new one. I'll look forward to going through it in a couple of months.

Emirates just opened a brand new terminal 3 dedicated to its flights only.

Didn't know that james. That must make it much easier but too late for me to switch now, I've got too many airmiles with Etihad. :o

Didn't know that james. That must make it much easier but too late for me to switch now, I've got too many airmiles with Etihad. :o

Let's wait and see, I still have visions of sleeping people all over the terminal floors in my head, don't expect it to be much better at terminal 3

I'm amazed that someone thought to do this, but here's a legroom guide for the various carriers and their various seat classes. I don't know how up-to-date it is.

Most people seem enthusiastic about Etihad, but I flew Dublin-Abu Dhabi-Bangkok with them in economy and don't care to repeat the experience. Headphones that didn't work (mine and my girlfriend's), people using the toilet as an ad hoc shower (water about 1/4 inch deep all over the floor in there) and to cap it all, on the way back, when I pointed out that my aisle seat had been taken, they wouldn't ask the guy to move and I got a middle seat instead. Absolute poop from beginning to end.

Emirates and Etihad are 5 star airlines. I flown with both and won't hesitate to recommend them to anyone.

The worst I have ever flown was with SAS a couple of years back. Appaling serivce by grumpy 50 something flight attendants.

As we’re talking about Middle Eastern airlines, Gulf Air are currently upgrading their aircraft and temporarily using Jet Airways aircraft and crew to service the Bahrain Bkk route.

It’s my first experience with Jet Airways and I found the aircraft to be clean modern (individual TV with video on demand) adequate legroom and friendly staff. The flights left on time and arrived early.

As we’re talking about Middle Eastern airlines, Gulf Air are currently upgrading their aircraft and temporarily using Jet Airways aircraft and crew to service the Bahrain Bkk route.

It’s my first experience with Jet Airways and I found the aircraft to be clean modern (individual TV with video on demand) adequate legroom and friendly staff. The flights left on time and arrived early.

Why not just rename Gulp Air - Jet Airways because all those things you mentioned (on time, roomy and fliendly staff) were not a hallmark of the former.

On that only flight (and return) BKK-HKG, the plane was brand new. It must have came from somewhere, the HKG leg was just an extension.

The seat:

emirates0.jpg

It had email "available", meaning for a fee:

emirates1.jpg

For that short flight, there was a menu:

emirates3.jpg

The entertainment system was so good..even overengineered. The touch screen, whenever a child touches it, the movie restarts. My child saw nothing, most of the time we were scrambling to get something on the screen:

emirates2.jpg

• 1 month later...

I just flew back with Etihad and was shocked by the attitude of the cabin staff,they were borderline hostile to the passengers.

I could not believe it, I have flown with them many times before with no problems, it was weird.

when a woman near me asked for her prefferred a choice of meal the attendant actually said "we have lamb only ,take it or leave it"

A lot of the passengers were commenting on the bad attitude.

I am going back in June and I am giving Emirates another go seeing as they are using the A380 for part of the trip.

Another strange thing happened ,the flight officer said in his landing speech that there was blowing sand at Abu Dhabi and that it was dangerous and started laughing.

I am not sure if we were supposed to hear that or not.

It was a very strange flight.

The lounge access at all the airports for silver card holders is excellent, i hope it continues.

Really? As cabin crew for Etihad, flying in and out of BKK several times a month I was quite surprised to read your comments. I cannot imagine any cabin crew for Etihad saying "take it or leave it". I've worked for Etihad since near the beginning and though we have a lot of junior crew they are very professional and eager to serve. As we are a relatively new airline of only 5 years we don't have any jaded crew yet. As for the first officer making a comment about the sand storms in Abu Dhabi, which is frequent at this time of year, I think he was laughing in a way to show it was not that serious.

Anyway, very sorry for this experience and I actually forwarded a copy of what you said to our training center and our customer service center. If you have specific information regarding the exact flights please forward to me.

I flew into Dubai about 5 weeks ago and we were still bussed in from the parking spot way past the old terminal. Now that the new extension is open it means that the bus ride is even longer. Well over 60 mins wasted with the long taxi, waiting on the bus and the slow crawl to the new terminal. I wish there were more carriers to London Gatwick so I could avoid the over-rated (in my opinion) Emirates service. And the new business class 'cocoon seats' are literally a pain in the bum. Incredibly uncomfortable when seated in the vertical position.