Crazy Driving

hnka

Don't you all agree that the buses and cabs drive erratically and rather dangerously here in Bangkok? We ride on a motorbike and many times the buses or cabs would just switch lanes without looking at their side or rear view mirrors! CRAZY!!

Don't you all agree that the buses and cabs drive erratically and rather dangerously here in Bangkok? We ride on a motorbike and many times the buses or cabs would just switch lanes without looking at their side or rear view mirrors! CRAZY!!

Hmm, not only in Bangkok!! :o

Its just a different style of driving, I don't think its necessarily dangerous as such because everyone drives in the same manner with an agreed set of norms and values.

I find it quite entertaining.

Now take my mother-in-law (please) she drives in a Bangkok stylee here in the UK and that is dangerous, when pulled over by the police she attempts to bribe them with sweets.

We ride on a motorbike here in Bangkok! CRAZY!! Don't you all agree

:o:D

Yep, I drive a car in bangkok and I am afraid most of us car owners see motorcycles as little buzzing pests that need to keep out our way. Tough but true.

Same goes for pedestrians.

I thought it was quite admirable how drivers that cut others off were 'accepted', even sort of admired for their skill.

It was kind of fun to teach my brother in laws the Canuck way. I taught them to give the finger when we got cut off. It was HOOT teaching to shout yu motha f cka!!! and wave fists. (:+P

I told them in America they shoot drivers that cut them off.

Edited by eggomaniac

Not as much crazy as the most of the Motorcycle drivers do!

Most of the accidents are with M-Bikes based on irregular driving of that M-Bike drivers who's driving against all rules!

And don't try to tell that what I wrote is from someone who didn't know how to ride a Motorcycle because it isn't. I was ride a M-Bike for 20 years in Bangkok and Thailand and six out of seven accident's I had were because of the irregular driving of other M-Bikes.

Just take a look how they driving: Against the Traffic! Ignoring Red Lights! Didn't signal side change or turns! and so on!

Cheers to all Riders who's know and follow the rules! And the other should go to ... ....!

I thought it was quite admirable how drivers that cut others off were 'accepted', even sort of admired for their skill.

It was kind of fun to teach my brother in laws the Canuck way. I taught them to give the finger when we got cut off. It was HOOT teaching to shout yu motha f cka!!! and wave fists. (:+P

Thats another thing I like about Thailand.

All that silly shouting and swearing and giving the finger stuff doesnt work as everyone has massively tinted windows so you cant see who is in the car or what they are doing so like whats the point?....and people dont wind the window down because its too hot and the air con escapes...

Thats another thing I like about Thailand.

All that silly shouting and swearing and giving the finger stuff doesnt work as everyone has massively tinted windows so you cant see who is in the car or what they are doing so like whats the point?....and people dont wind the window down because its too hot and the air con escapes...

Maybe you should screw the aircon into the dashboard like mine is, that'll stop it from escaping.

Yah. And in Thailand they shoot drivers that "give the finger when cut off and shout yu motha f cka!!! and wave fists" :o

I for one like driving in Thailand. I find it different then the US. It kind of like a flow and everyone tries to accomadate everyone else by moving a little to one side or the other and slowing a little to allow the other driver to change lanes etc. as long as it does not cause to much inconvienience. I usually drive a motor cycle but when I drive my truck I try to avoid the afternoon rush hrs. Other than that its not bad just different. I find if you can let go of the way they should be driving based on your home country rules and standards it makes it a lot easier to drive in thailand.

I for one like driving in Thailand. I find it different then the US. It kind of like a flow and everyone tries to accomadate everyone else by moving a little to one side or the other and slowing a little to allow the other driver to change lanes etc. as long as it does not cause to much inconvienience. I usually drive a motor cycle but when I drive my truck I try to avoid the afternoon rush hrs. Other than that its not bad just different. I find if you can let go of the way they should be driving based on your home country rules and standards it makes it a lot easier to drive in thailand.

Then you'll love Koh Samui.

When a speeding cement truck comes overtaking and you'll have the option to ditch or go head on. :o

So true about road rage in the States. I ived in Chicago for many years, so yah!

Hmm, not only in Bangkok!! :o

And not only buses and taxis, in fact motorbikes are the biggest culprits. Pain in the ass when people just change lanes without indicating or looking, isn't it?

Motorists in Thailand are just pure horror.

you need to try india

when it comes to driving Indians are brain dead

Thats true. Most cars in India don't have or use mirrors. Instead the use the horn to let other motorists know they are there.

I find if driving a motorbike in Thailand I am constantly worried about larger vehicles in the road. If driving a car am constantly worried about motorbikes in the road. When you factor in the consequences of having an accident it makes for some tense driving.

Its just a different style of driving, I don't think its necessarily dangerous as such because everyone drives in the same manner with an agreed set of norms and values.

I find it quite entertaining.

Now take my mother-in-law (please) she drives in a Bangkok stylee here in the UK and that is dangerous, when pulled over by the police she attempts to bribe them with sweets.

I agree - it is entertaining. To cope, I assume a different approach when driving here in Chiang Mai - I call it offensive driving. The only thing is that you really can't relax and drive at the same time - least wise I can't. Always be alert. And enjoy.

Ah, it's not just in BKK. Way up here in Issan, we have the 'cheap' buses and the aircon ones. The cheap buses are gov't owned and are famous for being on time no matter what the cost. Last week I had the unmitigated joy of being a bit behind one of these critters, going downhill. Coming uphill was another bus. That's normal. Coming uphill was a third bus, attempting to pass the bus ahead. So I witnessed a three-abreast duel on a two-lane road with no shoulders. How they squeaked through without swapping paint is a testament either to their driving ability, or to the maxim that God protects drunkards and fools.

But it's so much fun when you're locked in place by a light; and to your left is a bus at the curb, which has just had passengers depart and de-bus (hey, if you can de-plane...). The driver calmly looks at you in the mirror, puts his indicator on, and tries to swap paint with you, and there's nowhere to go!

Last month a bus came down through the main street of town. For whatever reason, one of the side engine cowlings appeared to have come loose from its lock, and was fantailed out. I watched this but hit four cars across two blocks before stopping. Don't know what the driver was thinking - maybe that crunching sound was just scooters or pedestrians...

This thread could have the possibility of being the largest ever on Thai-Visa, all you have to do is only reply with the last 200 idiotic things you have seen on the road, so you only need to go back about....ohh, say three days !.

My biggest worry is that after driving both 4wheels and 2 wheels for most of the year here, when I go back to England for my one meet the family trip a year, I really have to concentrate to not do the stupid things I have learned here. However much we rage against thai driving habits (and lets face it for those in the know, India and any middle east country are much much worse) if we drive here for long enough we do eventually start to pick up those bad habits. My wife says to me "Thai-style" whenever I do it, and I cringe knowing big brother on the CCTV in the Uk would be mailing me my fine for that.

cheers

Freddie

Motorists in Thailand are just pure horror.

you need to try india

when it comes to driving Indians are brain dead

You don't want to try it here in Saudi. We must have the largest collection of unable drivers on the planet. A mix of Saudi's, Indian's, Pakistani's, Phillapina's, Bangladeshi's........the list is endless. Mix all these together, in cars that must have faulty indicators and steering wheels on a motorway and the result is that no one knows what anyone is doing or going.. They stick up your tail end flashing their lights and honking their horns cos they're in a rush to get to their Dates and suggary Tea. :o

Then you'll love Koh Samui.

When a speeding cement truck comes overtaking and you'll have the option to ditch or go head on. :o

Gee Whizz!! That sounds just like anywhere on the populated coastal strip around Australia or Trying to get on or off the M25 in business traffic :D

Absolutly true!

Having ridden in the UK, Canada, and 13 European Nations, I would like to say that as a general rule Bangkok has the most skilled, aware, courteous and perceptive drivers I have ever been on the road with. Its almost uncanny, all the drivers I see are constantly aware of who is around them, and where they are going... Admittedly you get a very small proportion of people who are not very skilled, or who are reckless (de-helmeted souped-up moped riders in particular), but they are a very small minority.

The traffic here focusses the mind much more than in say, the UK, where people willfully pay no attention to what is going on around them. Is that a bad thing or a good thing?

I appreciate that the likelihood of injury on the roads is much greater here, but i think that is more to do with slack laws and safety standards, coupled with the higher percentage of motorcycle riders (who always come off badly in collisions).

Personally, give me bangkok traffic and buddhist temperaments over London, Paris, Milan, Turin, Munich, Barcelona, Lisbon, etc etc...

And a final note, as always on this forum, can people please stop slagging off thailand - its not perfect, but its a dam_n fine place that we should be happy to inhabit...

Like a fish in water, you've got to move with the school........

and why do you write in italics, it is painful to read!!!!!!!

Having ridden in the UK, Canada, and 13 European Nations, I would like to say that as a general rule Bangkok has the most skilled, aware, courteous and perceptive drivers I have ever been on the road with. Its almost uncanny, all the drivers I see are constantly aware of who is around them, and where they are going... Admittedly you get a very small proportion of people who are not very skilled, or who are reckless (de-helmeted souped-up moped riders in particular), but they are a very small minority.

The traffic here focusses the mind much more than in say, the UK, where people willfully pay no attention to what is going on around them. Is that a bad thing or a good thing?

I appreciate that the likelihood of injury on the roads is much greater here, but i think that is more to do with slack laws and safety standards, coupled with the higher percentage of motorcycle riders (who always come off badly in collisions).

Personally, give me bangkok traffic and buddhist temperaments over London, Paris, Milan, Turin, Munich, Barcelona, Lisbon, etc etc...

And a final note, as always on this forum, can people please stop slagging off thailand - its not perfect, but its a dam_n fine place that we should be happy to inhabit...

We will slag off Thailand all we want, its got a lot to be slagged, just like our countries back home, should Thailand be exempt from the slagging simply because people smile more here and make you feel shiny?

We will slag off Thailand all we want, its got a lot to be slagged, just like our countries back home, should Thailand be exempt from the slagging simply because people smile more here and make you feel shiny?

>We?

>people.... make you feel shiny?

eh?

anyway, by nature, the more you slag a place off, the less happy you will be living in that place... so why not talk positively about somewhere? a bit of positive reinforcement?

i

>We?

>people.... make you feel shiny?

eh?

anyway, by nature, the more you slag a place off, the less happy you will be living in that place... so why not talk positively about somewhere? a bit of positive reinforcement?

i

Yes Paddy, I totally agree. :D

If they don't like the place then why stay??? :o