Obtain Driving License On Samui

So you do not need a medical certitcate to re-new a 5 year licence, also they take your photo there now, no need to bring one

is that true?

When I renewed four years ago, a medical was needed.

Photos not needed.

Edited by PoorSucker

on the 5 year one the expire date is your birthday. Can't remember exactly when they changed that from the original issue date many years ago. Anyhow, a 5 year one can be extended until 1 year after the expiry date on the license, but it is not valid anymore. Don't know if that's the case, if you change from 1 year to 5 years.

So, if you expire the 5 year one 1 day after the expire day you get 6 years minus 1 day....

I have to renew my 5-yr license next week and would like to avoid the SIO if possible. Has anyone tried showing their blue housebook or corporate papers in lieu of the immigration letter? You would think that owning a house, company, and expired 5-yr license would prove that you live here.

If you're driving a car and get stopped and don't have a driving license - what happens? Are you arrested? In trouble? Fined? Or is it just better to have a license in case of an accident etc?

Before I had a Thai licence - it was a 200 baht fine. The expensive bit was no insurance.

Advice from someone who has 'been there' - get a licence.

The up side is that this document is almost as good as a Thai id card. UBC contract, telephone, proof of id for flights etc etc. The driving licence does it all. I rarely show my passport now.

• Like 1

If you're driving a car and get stopped and don't have a driving license - what happens? Are you arrested? In trouble? Fined? Or is it just better to have a license in case of an accident etc?

Before I had a Thai licence - it was a 200 baht fine. The expensive bit was no insurance.

Advice from someone who has 'been there' - get a licence.

The up side is that this document is almost as good as a Thai id card. UBC contract, telephone, proof of id for flights etc etc. The driving licence does it all. I rarely show my passport now.

Thank you, great advice jap.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I'm planning to get both car & motorbike licenses shortly, I have to do them both from scratch, and I have a couple of questions that haven't been answered in this thread:

Certificate of Residence - I was in Bangkok last week, and went into the Australian Embassy to get one of these (actually a stat dec); however, stupidly, I only got one! Can I take this to immigration or the amphur and use it to get another from them?

Car - I don't own a car, so I was wondering how others went about doing the practical test? Did you hire a car for the day, and, if so, did you drive it there?

Certificate of Residence - I was in Bangkok last week, and went into the Australian Embassy to get one of these (actually a stat dec); however, stupidly, I only got one! Can I take this to immigration or the amphur and use it to get another from them?

Just make a copy and sign it.

Just make a copy and sign it.

They do not accept copies, trust me. The easiest way is just go to immigration ask for a letter confirming address, just write down your address & pay 500 baht, that simple.Forgot, you have to supply a picture passport size.

Don't know about your first point, the Certificate of Residence but you just rent a car for the day, that should do the trick. They made me go out and rent a bike as well for my bike license.

And you drove it there unlicensed? That's the part I'm trying to get my head around...

They do not accept copies, trust me. The easiest way is just go to immigration ask for a letter confirming address, just write down your address & pay 500 baht, that simple.Forgot, you have to supply a picture passport size.

Thanks Rooo.

Don't know about your first point, the Certificate of Residence but you just rent a car for the day, that should do the trick. They made me go out and rent a bike as well for my bike license.

And you drove it there unlicensed? That's the part I'm trying to get my head around...

Thanks Rooo.

Stop trying to get your head around it, that office is well knows to offer licenses at a fixed price, without having to complete the test. Just make sure when you drive the car over you don't get involved in an accident. Less of a problem on the way back ;-)

If you have a home country licence, you will not be required to do the practical,only the reaction / colour test.

Just a quick note , when you go to immigration make sure you take your passport.

And if you fail the test you just drive it back.

I left 'reason' in storage in the UK. If I bring it to Thailand it will just run down the battery and I might need it later in life.

Not having a driving licence here is not the big issue that it is in Europe.

Foreigner - 200 baht fine. This one I do know for sure. I have the receipt. I did not have a Thai licence.

Thai - 50 baht fine (so I am told.)

These are the 'official' court figures. Tea money is less.

Foreigner - 200 baht fine. This one I do know for sure. I have the receipt. I did not have a Thai licence.

Try having an accident without a licence. If you have a car & insurance, no licence, coverage voided.

Try having an accident without a licence. If you have a car & insurance, no licence, coverage voided.

I did have an accident. But I also have a full UK licence. Insurance was not an issue - but you have to watch the dates. If you have been here a long time - you are correct. It can be a major issue.

I was trying to set the poster's mind at rest about the going to the licence office (and possibly back again) without a licence. I was not advocating driving without one. Sorry if that was not apparent.

I did have an accident. But I also have a full UK licence. Insurance was not an issue - but you have to watch the dates. If you have been here a long time - you are correct. It can be a major issue.

I was trying to set the poster's mind at rest about the going to the licence office (and possibly back again) without a licence. I was not advocating driving without one. Sorry if that was not apparent.

I have just been fined 400 baht for not being able to show my Thai car licence at a police road block. When I asked why the Thais were being fined 200 baht I was told it was because they were driving bikes?

They (the police) had no idea whether or not I or the others stopped and fined actually held licences, just the fact that we were unable to produce them at that time.

If this had occurred in the UK I would still have had to produce my licence and MOT (if applicable)and insurance within 5 days at a police station of my choice without getting a fine.

Unbelievable that the police couldn't care less whether or not I or the others had passed a test or not, just that I didn't have my licence with me at the time................... TIT

no, that's not unbelievable, it is normal and comparing matters with the old home country is worthless and asking such a question someone who is in charge here, is contra-productive. He could have answered anything like because end of Maya calender and what would you have done.....? jap.gif

no, that's not unbelievable, it is normal and comparing matters with the old home country is worthless and asking such a question someone who is in charge here, is contra-productive. He could have answered anything like because end of Maya calender and what would you have done.....? jap.gif

Can you please decipher !

Can you please decipher !

I think it's time for a ROOO - are you watching? laugh.png

Thanks, that does put my mind at rest.

Just a heads up, if you are renewing your motorbike licence, I presume car too from one year to a 5 year licence , you need a doctor's certificate.

You may be right Rooo, but I went to Nathon Hospital to get a doctor's certificate before they issued me with my first one year licences (when I took the theory test) but for my 5 year licences I didn't need one, nor did I need one for the renewal of my five year licences.

However...things change so who knows?

Just a heads up, if you are renewing your motorbike licence, I presume car too from one year to a 5 year licence , you need a doctor's certificate.

You may be right Rooo, but I went to Nathon Hospital to get a doctor's certificate before they issued me with my first one year licences (when I took the theory test) but for my 5 year licences I didn't need one, nor did I need one for the renewal of my five year licences.

However...things change so who knows?

Didn't need one to renew my 5 year car licence, but she asked me to get one too renew my 1 year bike licence to a 5 year one. I thought it was silly & a total waste of time.If I can get a car licence renewal without one why do I need one for the bike ? Just wasted 2 hours at the hospital doctor didn't even ask any questions or examine me, just printed the form & signed it. TIT.