Losing A Spouse In Disaster..

This is something I have thought about in the past but because of the current situation may become a problem for some.

What do you all think the immigration department will do, or not do, for those that possibly lost their Thai wife in the disaster when they have to renew their visa extension?

It would be traumatic enough to go through the disaster without loosing a loved one. Loosing your spouse as well would really be hard; but having immigration, I'm guessing here, turf you out or cancel your extension after all you have lost would be a triple wammie.

And.. What can we do as a group to help these people, if this situation exists?

Edited by penzman

My friend lost his Thai wife a couple of years ago here in Chiang Mai. He had qualified for annual extensions based on marriage. Immigration will only allow the surviving spouse a few weeks to change their status or leave Thailand and return with a new visa based on current circumstances. Certainly something he wasn't thinking about at the time. He became an overstayer without knowing it. He couldn't leave because they had a young son. Numerous visits to Immigration with his lawyer settled the issue, but it cost him. I'm not sure what visa he has now, sorry.

This is a very interesting and relevant question.

If there are children from the marriage, then the visa holder still has a right to a visa based on the fact of supporting the children.

If the children have reached maturity, the reverse is also possible, they can suport the parent.

If the visa holder is over 50 he/she can change the type of visa to "retirement', but this means more money to find every year.

These are the only options that I know of.

If you are here on business and it ends you leave. If my wife dies I am fully prepared to leave if I do not qualify for stay by other factors. That is one of the reasons people should probably consider PR when they have a commitment to live here for a lifetime and can not otherwise qualify by work or retirement means.

That said believe immigration would be very sensitive in a situation as outlined and should be contacted. They may be able to find a medical or other reason for allowing a longer stay.

As to what we can do it is probably very little. But would advise anyone in that situation to politely try a higher level if unable to obtain positive results. Believe more can be done with a polite request than any pressure group.

If you are here on business and it ends you leave.  If my wife dies I am fully prepared to leave if I do not qualify for stay by other factors.  That is one of the reasons people should probably consider PR when they have a commitment to live here for a lifetime and can not otherwise qualify by work or retirement means.

That said believe immigration would be very sensitive in a situation as outlined and should be contacted.  They may be able to find a medical or other reason for allowing a longer stay.

As to what we can do it is probably very little.  But would advise anyone in that situation to politely try a higher level if unable to obtain positive results.  Believe more can be done with a polite request than any pressure group.

I agree with you Lop. Gentle intervention on humanitarian grounds with MFA and Immigration by your own Embassies will achieve a great deal in my view. Pressure is not the way to go. Subtle is the keyword.

I do agree with you all, and I'm not suggesting picketing the Immigration Office.

When my wife died, prior to my Mia, I was in a loss for a while trying to settle everything that was required or that I had to do, without worrying about getting tossed from the country.

There are a lot of people on this forum with a lot of knowledge that are in Thailand and possibly could lend support , information, help, transportation or translation services to anyone that is in need of this kind of support.

>>Immigration will only allow the surviving spouse a few weeks to change their status or leave Thailand and return with a new visa based on current circumstances<<

So, after marriage and support of Thai spouse for over 25 years, (but no PR) would Immigration here in BKK sympathetically consider an application for change of visa type (from 'marriage' to 'retirement', funds permitting and age over 50)? Or would one have to leave the country de-facto and re-enter with new visa of different type from overseas?

>>Immigration will only allow the surviving spouse a few weeks to change their status or leave Thailand and return with a new visa based on current circumstances<<

So, after marriage and support of Thai spouse for over 25 years,  (but no PR) would Immigration here in BKK sympathetically consider an application for change of visa type (from 'marriage' to 'retirement', funds permitting and age over 50)? Or would one have to leave the country de-facto and re-enter with new visa of different type from overseas?

I do not believe you would have any problem having the visa changed but obviously I do not speak for immigration. In the past they did require a trip to obtain a new visa when people wanted to change but in last year or so they seem to be much more willing to do change here. In either case it is not that hard for most of us to go to Penang for a day or two to obtain a new visa if it were required. What people used to object to was that they would lose the continuous stay status if they planned to apply for PR but for those not planning on PR it should not be that much of an issue.

I do not believe you would have any problem having the visa changed but obviously I do not speak for immigration.

I totally agree with Lopburi.

As long as you do qualify for an alternate type of visa, as I outlined in my previous post,

I do not believe there will be a problem in converting the visa here in Thailand.

The problems may lie for a person who does not qualify for an alternate visa, but who considers Thailand to be their "home".