O-a Visa Renewal At Nong Khai.

Maybe this will help somebody avoid the problems I had, but TIT where the rules change on a whim.

My first problem came when I went to the branch of the Siam Commercial Bank in Udon Thani at which I have an account, to get the bank verification letter stating I had 800,000 baht in the bank for 3 months. There was only 350,000 baht in that account but there was over 2 million in an account with the same bank in Bangkok that had been sitting there for 6 months waiting for stock market opportunities.

The bank refused to give me a letter for anything but the money in THEIR branch. Of course I had the passbook for both accounts which they updated and verified the account balances. No pleading or begging would get them to change this decision. The manager with whom I had previous amicable dealings was not available.

In desperation I went to another branch at which I did not have an account. At least some luck was going my way since the manager from my branch had been transferred there. She reiterated the bank policy of refusing a letter for an account at another branch, but suggested I open an account at her branch, transfer 800,000 baht and she would provide a letter verifying I had 800,000 baht with Siam Commercial Bank for 3 months. This she did.

I brought with me photocopies and originals of every conceivable document as well as those mentioned on the official checklist. From the Thai Immigration website I downloaded TM.7 (Application for Extension of Temporary Stay in The Kingdom) and TM.8 (Application for Re-entry Permit into the Kingdom) and filled them in on the computer.

On arrival at the Immigration Office at Nong Khai I was called over by the very person I was trying to avoid. I had had previous dealings with him. He has no name on the desk, as the others do (you cannot complain about someone whose name you do not know?) but he sits at desk No. 1 in the right corner. Avoid him if you can. I have found him particularly obnoxious. Last time I was there he had a one sided conversation with my wife (in Thai) badmouthing me in particular and foreigners in general. We were the only “customers” there at the time.Unfortunalely I understood more than I wanted to.

“Give me passport! Give me TM7. Internet form no good! Go outside and write again!”

I smiled (sweetly?) and went outside to obey. When I returned after labourously filling in both forms, he was busy so I was directed to another chap at a desk by himself against the far wall. I gave him both copies of the TM7 since my photo was glued to the website copy.

He asked “Why make two? Internet copy ok.” And he gave me back my handwritten form.

However he had a problem with the bank letter, bank books and photocopied bank records. He took them to the big boss in another room and came back with the news that I needed a letter about the Bangkok Branch account. I explained what I had experienced in Udon Thani. Then he told me to go to the Nong Khai branch. Again I explained what the banks policy was. He then asked for my wife’s phone number so he could talk to her. I have no idea why he wanted to do this. I told him she was on the farm without a phone and squashed that notion.

Despite the fact that my passbooks clearly show 2.5 million in the Siam Commercial Bank of Thailand for in excess of 3 months, he took me in to see the big boss. Again I explained, and explained, and begged and pleaded and grovelled. She eventually relented and agreed it was ok JUST this time since it was my first renewal application, but it would NOT be acceptable in the future. I didn’t dare ask her what it was that would not be acceptable, coward that I am. I will worry about that next year.

They did not ask for our Tambian Ban or any of the other documents I had but DID ask for a copy of my wife’s ID card. (Which I had – I really did have everything.)

Since the bank verification letter must be dated the same day as the renewal application, getting from Bangkok to Nong Khai in time might pose a problem. Getting from our house in the Boondocks, to Udon Thani to Nong Khai was trouble enough.

So, the bottom line is: I have my one year extension. Next year I’m sure there will be other obstacles.

The Big Boss really enjoyed telling me I was a bad boy, but since she was SO kind she would let me off this time, but it must NEVER happen again.

They managed to find somethings to photocopy for which I was duly charged, despite the fact that I had the required photocopies with me. I guess at 10 baht a copy it adds up to good “tea money” for them.

My check list:

1. Application form TM.7 filled in. (website copy ok or not ok depends on who you get)

2. Passport + Photocopies of the following: front page, visa, re-entry permit, arrival stamp, current TM.6

3. Copies plus originals of all bank passbooks. (I had copied all pages)

4. Bank letter of verification of 800,000 in account at THAT branch for 3 months.

5. One photo 4 x 6 cm

6. Copy of wife’s ID card (signed by her)

7. Application fee of 1,900 baht

8. Plentiful patience, smiles and grovelling.( Grovelling is possibly optional, but it seems to assuage their egos)

Cheers

Cowman

If the Second Branch in Nong Khai had helped you with an Account containing 800K

and given a Letter that they have had it for 3 months ..

Then I do not understand why you showed the Immigration the Bangkok Account?

Have I missed something?

Visa Extensions - which is what you were getting - are very straight forward elsewhere.

Bill

Nong Khai has a certain reputation.

I think you need to find out for certain what they let you "get away" with this time. If it were me, I would go back soon with a Thai speaker and get clarification, otherwise you are working in the dark.

A while back, there were reports that Nong Khai was requiring extenders using the 800K to actually prove that 800K was transferred in every year (very different than other offices and an incorrect interpretation of the immigration rule). Is it possible that had something to do with it?

Frankly, the difficult reputation of the immigration office there would put me off moving there. Maybe its intentional.

Edited by Jingthing

Bill

At the second branch in Udon Thani, I opened a NEW account and transferred 500,000 from the Bangkok branch and 350,000 from the first branch in Udon Thani. The passbook was new with only one entry for that day. It did not show a 3 month history. The Bangkok branch account did. That is why the branch manager told me to show that.

Cowman

Bill

At the second branch in Udon Thani, I opened a NEW account and transferred 500,000 from the Bangkok branch and 350,000 from the first branch in Udon Thani. The passbook was new with only one entry for that day. It did not show a 3 month history. The Bangkok branch account did. That is why the branch manager told me to show that.

Cowman

Since you are married why you dont get a married visa,you can do with the money you want you only need a letter from the bank that 40.000 bah comes in every month and is not important how much money you have in the bank.I dont want to have 800.00 bath tied up in the bank for a visa.

Thanks Cowman for this tale. It is the recent, first-person accounts on TV that are so informative.

I would like to echo Lite Beer's observation that Siam Commerical Bank is helpful and courteous. That has been my experience at all of their branches I've been to in Bangkok and up-country. Now, retired in Phuket, I checked on their policy to see if they could issue the bank letter attesting to the 800K baht even though my account is in a Bangkok branch. They said they could not. I asked if they could have the SCB/BKK branch forward the letter to the Phuket branch. No can do. So, I'll have to make the trip to Bangkok or consider transferring 800K down to Phuket.

One observation regarding Cowman's comment that "Since the bank verification letter must be dated the same day as the renewal application". It has not been my experience that the date on the bank letter be the same as the date on the T.M. 7 application when I've renewed in Bangkok. But the dates should be within a few days of each other to be safe. Others' experience with renewal?

Since you are married why you dont get a married visa,you can do with the money you want you only need a letter from the bank that 40.000 bah comes in every month and is not important how much money you have in the bank.I dont want to have 800.00 bath tied up in the bank for a visa.

To prove income immigration will only accept tax receipts or a letter from an embassy or consulate.

One observation regarding Cowman's comment that "Since the bank verification letter must be dated the same day as the renewal application". It has not been my experience that the date on the bank letter be the same as the date on the T.M. 7 application when I've renewed in Bangkok. But the dates should be within a few days of each other to be safe. Others' experience with renewal?

I don't know what the rules say, but I always get the bank letter 2-3 days before I file the application with IMM at Suan Pluh - no problem.

The only requirement is that the copies of the bank book show the same balance as stated in the letter.

The TFB (K-Bank) has the same policy of issuing the letters only at the branch where the account has been opened.

opalhort

To prove income immigration will only accept tax receipts or a letter from an embassy or consulate.

That is true sorry yes you also need a letter from the embassy but that I do bij mail and it takes less then a week.

TJAN, this is the first time I hear that when you do the marriage extension based on income you have to give immigration, in addition to the embassy letter, a letter from the bank confirming that 40K Baht is paid into you account from abroad every month. Has this been you personal experience? At what immigration office? Did they ask you for the bank letter, or did you offer it without being asked?

--

Maestro

TJAN, this is the first time I hear that when you do the marriage extension based on income you have to give immigration, in addition to the embassy letter, a letter from the bank confirming that 40K Baht is paid into you account from abroad every month. Has this been you personal experience? At what immigration office? Did they ask you for the bank letter, or did you offer it without being asked?

--

Maestro

In 2007 I got my first extension at Nong Khai immigration office: retirement, not married, embassy letter confirming monthly income of more than 65.000 THB (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Report-1-Yea...ar-t138436.html).

September 2008: The officer gave me the attached paper stating the requirements in English and Thai. He told me: Items 4 and 6 apply, circled in red. For the first extension the embassy letter is sufficient. For later extensions bank book and bank letter showing monthly income from abroad of 65.000 THB are required and sufficient, an embassy letter is neither sufficient nor required. He showed me the bank letter of another foreigner who would presenting this already for years. Because I could not fulfill these requirements afterwards I should start with a new visa, e.g. 3 month from Vientiane.

I gave up dealing with the immigration office, travelled to my home country, visited my family and got a new visa: straight forward, no surprises.

In the meantime I read other reports on Thaivisa forum about Nong Khai and Pattaya immigration offices requiring bank books and bank letters showing the monthly income. One member wrote that officers do not understand the difference between the word "and" and the word "or". May be this is the problem. I think I will stick to travelling home.

post-41017-1234075444_thumb.jpg

post-41017-1234075571_thumb.jpg

Edited by willi2006

--

Maestro

In 2007 I got my first extension at Nong Khai immigration office (retirement, not married) based on the embassy letter (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Report-1-Yea...ar-t138436.html). Surprise in September 2008: A bank book and a bank letter showing monthly income from abroad of 65.000 THB was required. They showed me an example of a bank letter, I got the attached paper stating the requirements in English and Thai and was told that item 4 and 6 are required.

I gave up dealing with the immigration office, travelled to my home country, visited my family and got a new visa: straight forward, no surprises.

In the meantime I read other reports on Thaivisa forum about Nong Khai and Pattaya immigration offices requiring bank books and bank letters showing the monthly income. One member wrote officers do not understand the difference between the word "and" and the word "or". May be this is a problem. I think I will stick to travelling home.

I have read the English letter several times

I cannot see where it says - according to you>

a letter from the bank confirming that 40K Baht is paid

into you account from abroad every month

I think YOU have misinterpreted this letter

Bill

I have read the English letter several times

I cannot see where it says - according to you>

a letter from the bank confirming that 40K Baht is paid

into you account from abroad every month

I think YOU have misinterpreted this letter

Bill

Or maybe he is saying that Immigration are mis reading it. As you say there is no mention of the money having to be banked every month. Or a bank letter being needed.

Bill

Cowman

I don't even think you need that now, as far as I know the law changed in December deverting back to the 400,000 Baht in the bank.

Barry

He gave me the paper. He told me what is required or may be what he requires. This I reported in my above contribution ("He told me: ...") and not my interpretation of the paper. I think we should not discuss the paper: it differs from official documents referenced or copied on Thaivisa and does contain neither author nor date. I could have produced it myself but of course did not.

I must be the only guy who has not had problems at Nong Khai. Maybe because I am there almost every month checking in as I work overseas. The "Boss" lady likes to do the "your a naughty falang" gig. Did same thing for me and the wife when I was getting the paperwork done for registering my new motorcycle in my name. Said some silliness like only Bangkok can do, not in her authority. I have never seen her before until a few months ago. I have a feeling that she has been caught with her perverbal pants down, her office had always been empty during previous visits. And now doesn't want to do the required paperwork that was being signed off at the lower level.

As the primary immigration officers I have never had a problem with any of them and they all have been really helpful to me. Heck, this past December I was in there 3 times in a week because of piss poor planning on my part. Make a joke about it and they took care of my needs without a hitch.

I have found the immigration dept at Nong Khai pretty good, but will see how it goes when I have to renew my extension in May.

I did make enquiries re a residence certificate with the "Man on the right" in order to get a Thai drivewrs licence. I have to admit his manner is not so good and what he told me I needed to do seems totally ridicoulus. Had a list of stuff including getting a letter from the relevant office in Khon Kaen (don't know what dept issues drivers licecnce.

So would be interested to know what you had to do OxfordWill

Hua Hin Immigration ask for new letter from embassy each year, (if that is the method used by the individual), for a retirement visa. They also ask for copy of your 'house book' and map showing location of your residence.

They all want a new letter every year.

:o To Thai Visa.

I have found the immigration dept at Nong Khai pretty good, but will see how it goes when I have to renew my extension in May.

I did make enquiries re a residence certificate with the "Man on the right" in order to get a Thai drivewrs licence. I have to admit his manner is not so good and what he told me I needed to do seems totally ridicoulus. Had a list of stuff including getting a letter from the relevant office in Khon Kaen (don't know what dept issues drivers licecnce.

So would be interested to know what you had to do OxfordWill

I am just in the process applying for a Driving Licence. I actually live in Bangkok but my female friend from Nong Khai province knows somebody inside that department that issues Driving Licences. It's the same place where you pass your driving test and receive your DL.

She told me that he would give us a "special" letter I needed to show to Nong Khai Immigration in order to get (or speed up the process ) a residence certificate.

Just like you, I didn´t understand the need for such a letter, and was a bit irritated having to spend 2 hours to drive out of my way for it, but apparently the guy at that Dept. knew of this letter, as he told us we need it, and Nong Khai Immigration seemed to be happy with it.

As far as I could understand from her translation, it´s just a request by this Dept to Immigration to issue a Residence Certificate-Verification for the purpose of applying for a DL. The letter is in Thai, includes your full name on it + your passport number.

In 2007 I got my first extension at Nong Khai immigration office: retirement, not married, embassy letter confirming monthly income of more than 65.000 THB (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Report-1-Yea...ar-t138436.html).

The way I read the attached English worded document is if 4 applies (in case of having monthly income no less than 65k) 5, 6, 7 do not apply, which means immigration officers should NOT ask for a bank certifcation letter nor bank book :o:D:D

To The OP: indeed only the SCB branch office where you have the account or Bangkok Head office will issue you the bank certification letter.

And yes we all love the man at the window desk, I also had the "form no good" comment with my passport thrown away in the room when I submitted a downloaded form. Really nice guy. I hope his karma will hit him some day.

I needed copies of the house book where I and my wife "lived" i.e. her house, didnt need proof of marriage, copies of passport, uk provisional license (which they thought was a full license, I didnt correct them) and copies of her ID. The immigration provides the letter about where you live, so its them you show the book to. I was doing the driving and uncle was doing the talking and I only half concentrated, but I dont think there was anything else.

Mr cowman my heart goes out to you and at least you got your visa finally, so things are not really that bad ? as long as you swallow your pride at times and its even a way of kissing ass and doing what is required what the officer demands of you at the immigration as they feel fit, i feel at times im going to a chamber of no return visiting immigration sometimes , :o so many things to be said but enough said :D , i often wandered why 800,000bht must be showed ? is it the actual cost of cremation or burial cost of what one would be charged to pass away in the land of smiles . and in now way im calling you ass kisser sir

--

Maestro

In NongKhai they ask for it,AND for photocopies of every page of the Bankbook,and the nosey monkeys like to comment on it too. :o

It's their country,but ass-kissing should not be a requirement.

For the Driving Licence or for buying a vehicle,I'm happy that I made the Tabien Ban long ago,so as not to have any business with them. :D

About Banks,it all depends on the Branch manager,some are competent,most are not,I found experts in the Bkk Bank,but ONLY in Bangkok,the manager of SCB was good too,but after her moving I had to change to Kasikorn,not outstanding,,but if you take the time to explain four or five times what you need,they,sometimes,understand. :D