Gym Membership Relatively Expensive In L.o.s?

ozzieovaseas

HI ALL..

Being somewhat new to Thailand, i was wondering if anyone has looked into gym fees while here, and if so, do you consider it a little expensive relative to the price of accomodation??

I found the daily rates of most mall based gyms are absolutely ridiculous and all the other the monthly rates for the chain firms not much better..(around 4000-6000 per month). I find it a little strange that i am paying around this figure for a hotel room for a month but i will also have to fork out the same amount to go and have a few hours at a gym 3-4 days a week!

I have found one place that seems to work on a buddy system that charges you 2000 a month each if two or even less for three...

what gives!!??

Is there anybody out there that wants to sign up as a buddy to take advantage of the lower rates?? Maybe you could P.M?

• 1 month later...
I just don't understand how can some people find gym expensive in Thailand. As I can recall, my university in Australia charged me more than 50000 baht for just a semester of gym.

I bought a 3 year membership two years ago at 24 Hour Fitness for $750 which translates to about 24 THB per day. It included 5 one hour personal trainer sessions and a bag of goodies including supplements, a T shirt and a towel. I gave the goodies away and the personal trainer was a waste but the overall cost was fine. 2000 THB per month seems REALLY high! A fair price would be about 1000 THB per month.

When I first came to Thailand 20 years ago, health clubs had lousy equipment and were more expensive than many places in the US, but now, there are so many, and prices have gotten better. Right now, there is a price war in Chiang Mai and there are some great deals around.

Where have you been looking??? There are gyms for as little as 50 baht per day.

Totally agree!

As I am over 50, my annual membership is only 7000 baht - unlimited use - 7 days a week etc.

I have calculated that each visit costs me only 45 baht.

As for the prices in the UK.........

Bucklt :o

California Wow seems to be one of the cheapest at the moment. I paid 13,000 Baht for a 20-year membership deal (which works out to 55 Baht per month). I guess that explains why it's packed all the time.

Edited by Scrubber