Thai Social Security With Retirement Extension?

I am considering switching from my non-immigrant B visa (extended annually for five consecutive years now, along with the corresponding work permit) to an O-A retirement extension (and stopping work, of course). Would I qualify (as I do now) for Thai social security and health coverage (ประกันสังคม), and if so, for how long?

Thanks in advance.

As Jingthing sai, you only change your reason for an extension to retirement and will then have to comply to the rules for that.

Regarding your question, I don't know. But I can't see a reason why you shouldn't qualify if you change your reason for an extension. As long as you are legaly in the country it shouldn't matter. To be sure contact the socal security office.

Yes, you can continue in Thai Social Security.

You have 6 months of coverage without payments once you quit your job.

Within that 6 months period you need to go to a Soc Sec office and sign up to make the payments yourself. The cost is 432 baht a month. Same coverage as you have now.

If it was me, I'd get that taken care of right away, I wouldn't wait until the end of the 6 months.

I did this last year after the Soc Sec Act was changed and they no longer allowed employees from private schools in the system.

You are on an extension for employment now and you should be able to apply for a new extension for retirement without having to go abroad and get a non-O visa. The rules say that you must originally have had a non-immigrant visa, ie of any type, not necessarily non-O. Apparently you had a non-B visa and this qualifies you for application for retirement extension. Check with your local immigration office.

--

Maestro