What Business Could I Do To Stay In Issan.?

dmax

I read yesterday that the price of rice is going to crash in Thailand for 2009. If that helps ? I'm not a business man, and I've no wish to be, but rice fed rats are in short supply. Vietnam and Cambodia being big importers of them.

Can you provide a link for that rice crash story.

In absence of a reply, I hope this helps.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123486414343498649.html

The price of Thai rice, a global benchmark, has dropped to about $600 a ton from nearly $1,000 in May. Rice prices in Thailand probably would have fallen further, analysts say, without a government program that buys excess supplies from farmers. In Vietnam, which doesn't have such a program, prices have fallen to about $450 a ton.

from the Nation 5 Jan.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/01/05...ss_30092378.php

Despite ranking among the country's top seven export products and robust growth in 2008, Thai rice exports are forecast to drop 15 per cent in volume to only 8.5 million tonnes in 2009. Rice export value is expected to drop by 20 per cent from 2008's value following lower agricultural-goods prices.

The rice price is likely to drop as higher supply and the high cost of rice under the Somchai government's intervention programme created difficulties for Thai rice exports. World rice trade is forecast to drop by 2.81 per cent in 2009 from 29.07 million tonnes to 28.25 million tonnes due to high stockpiles.

Thai Rice Exporters Association president Chookiat Ophaswongse said that many rice-exporters would "take a long vacation" in 2009 due to low purchasing orders. The high cost of Thai rice will also create difficulty for Thai rice exports as many rivals like Vietnam and India have lower prices.

dmax,i am still in the states as of now and will be in thailand at the end of july.i will make a suggestion.i am thinking serious on a pond.i think it may be good income in this my friend.as of now i really do not know,but i am really thinking about going ahead and doing thatwhen i come to thailand.the pond can not be dug until after the rainy season though.

Buffaloe,

1. Can you tell me what part of the States you come from?

2. How do you see your fish setup to give you a good income? ie: Size of pond/s, number of ponds, land available, location etc.

isee i come from south carolina.i am not a expert .i do not have any ponds here in the states.i will build one when i get to thailand.i was just making a suggestion to dmax.i think my girlfriend says she pays 40 baht for 1 kilo of fish.now i do not know how much feed a pond takes for what amount of fish.i have been a avid fisherman here in the states and i just think a pond would do good in thailand

dmax,ask around about making a pond.as i say i am not a expert.i was making a suggestion.if you do go in this direction you will need to live on the land next to your pond though.some thai,s would steal your fish.there are a lot of places where you can pick up info on this subject though.

have been a avid fisherman here in the states and i just think a pond would do good in thailand
Based on that quote I think you're doomed. How, "by being an avid fisherman here in the states and think a pond would do good in Thailand" be a receipt for success ? I bang my head in disbelief.

have been a avid fisherman here in the states and i just think a pond would do good in thailand
Based on that quote I think you're doomed. How, "by being an avid fisherman here in the states and think a pond would do good in Thailand" be a receipt for success ? I bang my head in disbelief.

:o:D Like the way you use the word receipt instead of recipe, very Arfur Daley like! Good one Cov

Dave

dmax,as i say this is a suggestion.coventry just likes to talk when i say something altogether differant and dave seems to love to laugh.just check around dmax there is a lot of info around friend,but as i say you need to live next to the pond.

dmax,as i say this is a suggestion.coventry just likes to talk when i say something altogether differant and dave seems to love to laugh.just check around dmax there is a lot of info around friend,but as i say you need to live next to the pond.
Buffaloe I don't "just like to talk.............." If you'd put a business plan in with your statement, then maybe we could all see how fish farming in Thailand is viable. All you basically wrote was that you fish in America and building a pond here would be a good business as your future wife buys fish for 40 Baht a kilo. If that's your full experience in fish farming then I repeat myself in that "you're doomed". Edited by coventry