Uk Mariage Certificate

Hi People.

Currently here on a non-o obtained from the Thai consulate in Cardiff (Wales) on the strength of my UK mariage cert. (to a Thai lady of course).

Now, when my 'o' expires can I use the UK cert. (or a translation of it) to extend my stay for support of spouse or must I get my marriage registered here in LOS ???

It's a while in the future yet, just like to get things straight in plenty of time.

Cheers DC

You cannot use the foreign marriage directly, but here's what you can do:

1) Take original marriage certificate to UK embassy to get a sworn statement that you have presented this document and claimed it to be true.

2) Get an exact translation of the certificate into Thai, e.g. lay it out line by line on another page. We did it ourselves with a spreadsheet to mimic the complex layout of our US certificate.

3) Take all of that to Ministry of Foreign Affairs (probably with photo copies too?) to get the translation certified. This takes two days of office time, or you pay double to get it rushed the same day.

4) Take everything, particularly the certified Thai language version of the foreign certificate, to the local Amphur to register the marriage in Thailand. It is fastest to do this where your wife is already registered in a household. But I think you can do this at the Amphur where you live (if you jump through the right number of hoops).

After all of this, you can get a copy of the Thai marriage record just like if you married here first. It probably costs more this way, but you have the satisfaction of having official recognition of your original marriage. :o

Hi People.

Currently here on a non-o obtained from the Thai consulate in Cardiff (Wales) on the strength of my UK mariage cert. (to a Thai lady of course).

Now, when my 'o' expires can I use the UK cert. (or a translation of it) to extend my stay for support of spouse or must I get my marriage registered here in LOS ???

It's a while in the future yet, just like to get things straight in plenty of time.

Cheers DC

Crossy,

Me the same as you, been married for 10 years to a thai lady now got two kids, but never registered the marriage in thailand we got married in Wales, my wife had a fiance visa, so i will have to do the same as you, as this year i am moving to LOS for good, the other option is get married again in Thailand and have a good party, :o , thats what my wife wants, as none of her relatives were at our wedding, we just had a bit of a ceromony at the village in Buriram. good post.

Thanks guys.

I thought that it would be like that, best to know.

I DO like the idea of getting hitched again here... mega party. Also gives me the opportunity of getting back at a mate who had me as 'best man' at his Malay Muslim wedding, enough to say it involved a large fan -- talk about 'punkah wallah' :o

Cheers, DC

Hi People.

Cheers DC

You forgot to mention if the wife was going to be with you here. :o Very important that she is to use this route.

As for the new marriage there is no need and the party/celebration is not a marriage in any case and can be done anytime so go ahead and have a village marriage. But you are already married so would not try to register at district office unless they are willing to take your current certificate/translation and issue a local one. But why fool around with that when you have better things to do.

Thanks guys.

I DO like the idea of getting hitched again here... mega party. Also gives me the opportunity of getting back at a mate who had me as 'best man' at his Malay Muslim wedding, enough to say it involved a large fan -- talk about 'punkah wallah' :o

Cheers, DC

You cannot legally get married again - you are already married and this is legal in Thailand - but you have to register your existing marriage in Thailand.

You can have a temple or church service and then the evening drinks do, but you cannot register a new marriage at the local Ampere Office.

Thanks guys.

Cheers, DC

You cannot legally get married again - you are already married and this is legal in Thailand - but you have to register your existing marriage in Thailand.

You can have a temple or church service and then the evening drinks do, but you cannot register a new marriage at the local Ampere Office.

If this is the case then, is it the same the other way around; can one 'get married again' abroad (UK, USA, ect.) if one has already legally married in Thailand?

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I've known Brits who've married a Thai national in Thailand and then gone back to the UK for a holiday and had the marriage registered there.

For sure, you can't get married twice, but the second "event" is only legal registration. Guess it works both ways round.

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I've known Brits who've married a Thai national in Thailand and then gone back to the UK for a holiday and had the marriage registered there.

For sure, you can't get married twice, but the second "event" is only legal registration. Guess it works both ways round.

In the case of the u.k - i suspect it's the same for u.s - they recognise legal marriages that have been registered at an amphur office in Thailand, so there is no need to get married again in the u.k. You can have your thai marriage certificate deposited at the marriage registry office in the u.k, but there is no registration process anymore - there may have been in the past, but it has changed now. Whether you decide to deposit your thai marriage cert. or not is entirely upto you, and does not make the marriage more legitimate in the u.k.

just to add, the problem is that the thai marriage cert is in thai, so if were married in thailand and then move to the u.k to live, you'll need to get a certified translation of you marriage cert. the certification is done at the u.k embassy.

I've been here 15 years. Got a UK marriage cert. which gets me a 1-year visa (supporting Thai wife). Never registered my marriage in Thailand.

Hi Owl. are you extending your existing visa or getting a new one each year? I particularly want to know about extensions. I assume you have a certified translation of your cert.