Changing Extension Renewal Date

Hi All,

I have had extensions to a non-o for over ten years (married to Thai lady & work permit). In 2006 the company I worked with was taken over and I became unemployed. In 2007 I extended with 400k in the bank (grandfathered) - extension granted. In 2008 I worked on contract overseas and returned to Bangkok one month before my extension was up for renewal & submitted all that was required - e.g. to extend with 400k in the bank (grandfathered) etc. - extension was granted.

This year I am also on contract work and will visit Bangkok one month before my visa extension date - but will not be able to stay (because of work/contract reasons) until the visa extension/approval date. Otherwise all is in order - have 400k in the bank (grandfathering is no longer an issue) and am still married to the fine lady.

Question - has anyone had experience/success in having the visa extension process (i.e. dates) shifted to a more suitable time - given that work contracts are hard to come by now ?

If it's not possible - c'est la vie - seems a pity though - after keeping this 10 year thing alive for so long.

Hi & thanks also to Samran for previous advice - more Qs to follow I'm sure...

Paddy

Thanks Ubonjoe for the quick reply -

My extension deadline is end of May - so - in the past I've started the process one month before (end of April).

However this year I can be in Bangkok only from the end of March to the middle of April (about 3 weeks).

I will pay a visit to Suan Phlu for their advice while I'm back - but I will also have to be on a plane back to EU by mid April whether or which (much as I'd love to stay in LOS - I have to return on that date or I'll lose my contract)

Yes I realise if I can't extend then I have to re-apply in 2010 and start from scratch. (from HULL I suppose ?) Ah well...

Paddy

Yes Ubonjoe - I suppose the best way is to go to Suan Phlu as soon as I get back (I live in Bangkok and some of the officers would know me and my wife from previous extensions). And I'll take it from there.

For the record though - the way things are - I'll be giving priority to the work available to me over the extension.

Now I have to place new posts re my son (14yrs) and the draft - what to do about that ?

Paddy

7 years - that's a relief -

I did look into the prospects of getting him into military academy (thereby avoiding the draft/lottery) - but was told that the costs are exorbitant (relative) - ...Checked again and got the same answer (plus you would probably have to grease some palms that double the original fee up)...

Sad

Paddy

My stepson got into a program where he did some military training while he was in high school and university. He is now in a reserve status and could be called up in an emergency but would be an officer. Thats something to look into. I think the program was good for him because it taught him some discipline and has made him a better adult.

Sounds ideal for a start,

My son is a great kid (but then - he's my son) I'd definitely like to hear more about what you've just mentioned.

I'm not sure what the protocol here is for how to contact you about that.

If you can advise - (

Generally, I'll be in back in the Kingdom on 25.03.2009 (for about 3 weeks) would like to meet and buy you a cold one.

Big thanks

Paddy (it's now after 01.00am here - I gotta sleep - will check back in about 8hrs?)

PaddyBKK, with these two steps for the marriage extension I believe you – and your wife – must be physically present at the immigration office only for the first step, the application, and anybody can one month later go and pick up the passport for you with the one-year extension stamp in it. When you do your application, ask the immigration officer if your wife can pick up the passport for you one month later and if you have to give her a written authorisation for this.

Maestro

Hi All,

I have had extensions to a non-o for over ten years (married to Thai lady & work permit). In 2006 the company I worked with was taken over and I became unemployed. In 2007 I extended with 400k in the bank (grandfathered) - extension granted. In 2008 I worked on contract overseas and returned to Bangkok one month before my extension was up for renewal & submitted all that was required - e.g. to extend with 400k in the bank (grandfathered) etc. - extension was granted.

This year I am also on contract work and will visit Bangkok one month before my visa extension date - but will not be able to stay (because of work/contract reasons) until the visa extension/approval date. Otherwise all is in order - have 400k in the bank (grandfathering is no longer an issue) and am still married to the fine lady.

Question - has anyone had experience/success in having the visa extension process (i.e. dates) shifted to a more suitable time - given that work contracts are hard to come by now ?

If it's not possible - c'est la vie - seems a pity though - after keeping this 10 year thing alive for so long.

Hi & thanks also to Samran for previous advice - more Qs to follow I'm sure...

Paddy

You can renew, I believe, up to 60 days early. I would think that unless they really wanted to know why there should be no issue. I got an extension to mine about 45 days early last year and there were no questions...

PaddyBKK, with these two steps for the marriage extension I believe you – and your wife – must be physically present at the immigration office only for the first step, the application, and anybody can one month later go and pick up the passport for you with the one-year extension stamp in it. When you do your application, ask the immigration officer if your wife can pick up the passport for you one month later and if you have to give her a written authorisation for this.

Maestro

I'm confused here how does he leave Thailand to go work overseas without his Passport? Do you mean they give the passport back on the 1st Visit he then post's it back for his wife to give to immigration or have I missed something here.

If your son is a Thai citizen he will be subject to the draft at age 21 unless he is going to school at the time.

There is various ways to get around it. But you still have 7 years to think about it.

21 is no longer the age.

More like 19-20.

As soon as your son gets is ID card, at 15, he also has to register with the army office,

possibly alongside the Amphur.

They will contact him around age 18 and tell him when he has to appear for the lottery.

Being in school only postpones the date, it does not exempt him.

If your son is a Thai citizen he will be subject to the draft at age 21 unless he is going to school at the time.

There is various ways to get around it. But you still have 7 years to think about it.

21 is no longer the age.

More like 19-20.

As soon as your son gets is ID card, at 15, he also has to register with the army office,

possibly alongside the Amphur.

They will contact him around age 18 and tell him when he has to appear for the lottery.

Being in school only postpones the date, it does not exempt him.

It is 21 unless they have changed it in the last couple of months. My wife had to gather up a group of 21 year olds to take in for the draw at the amphoe.

I double checked with her about it a while back when this subject came up.

It is 21 unless they have changed it in the last couple of months.

My wife had to gather up a group of 21 year olds to take in for the draw at the amphoe.

I double checked with her about it a while back when this subject came up.

Perhaps it depends on where you live?

19-20 in Chonburi province.

Your wife may have been rounding up those who did not report at the right time?

Unless you are aiming for PR, then you can just come back in on a 30 days stamp,

get it converted and start the application anew.

This may be the simplest answer if an early renewal is refused.

You do need to be in LOS when the new extension is issued.