New Ais 3g Data Frequency

SKORPiO

What is the new AIS 3G data frequency in Thailand? is it same as US at 1900Mhz or same as Europe at 2100Mhz?

regards, Bartek.

AIS only holds the license to the 900 Mhz band, so their trial network (Chiang Mai and apparently a little in Bkk) is on that frequency. Which incidentally hardly any of the hardware (phones, pda's etc) support!

1900 and 2100 Mhz licenses are still not assigned to any company in Thailand, expected third quarter this year...

The reason I'm asking is that I want to send an hTC G1 for my girl and want to know if she will be happy with it. I want to make sure that if she will get data plan, that this phone will work. I don't know if this phone covers HS data on 900mhz. :o

looking at the specs now:

HSPA/WCDMA:

Europe: 2100 MHz

US:1700/2100 MHz

Up to 7.2 Mbps down-link (HSDPA) and 2 Mbps up-link (HSUPA) speeds

Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE:

850/900/1800/1900 MHz

Looks like no 900Mhz. Does this mean that is will be able to work on EDGE data plan in the meantime?

regards, Bartek.

Edited by SKORPiO

Does this mean that is will be able to work on EDGE data plan in the meantime?

GPRS/EDGE will not be a problem. Both AIS and DTAC support it at reasonable prices. The important issue is to be sure the phone is not locked to a subscriber service (in other words, unlocked).

The reason I'm asking is that I want to send an hTC G1 for my girl and want to know if she will be happy with it. I want to make sure that if she will get data plan, that this phone will work. I don't know if this phone covers HS data on 900mhz. :o

looking at the specs now:

HSPA/WCDMA:

Europe: 2100 MHz

US:1700/2100 MHz

Up to 7.2 Mbps down-link (HSDPA) and 2 Mbps up-link (HSUPA) speeds

Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE:

850/900/1800/1900 MHz

Looks like no 900Mhz. Does this mean that is will be able to work on EDGE data plan in the meantime?

regards, Bartek.

It's all GPRS/EDGE still, like Monty said maybe later this year they get licences out. Present AIS 3G network is running 900MHz and covers only couple of block. Used mainly testing and PR and not real usable network.

So above is ok for thailand for now...

I think most of Australia is on 850 Mhz for HSDPA. Quite a few devices support 850, but very few 900 Mhz.

Anyway, there are no usable 3G networks as of yet in Thailand, as MJo said, the little that exists is more for testing and PR, might be usable if you're lucky enough to be in a covered area, but won't work when moving about.

You do have Edge coverage pretty much nationwide though.

Also, for the little 3G there is, you'll need a special simcard as well...

Vodafone is on 900 and also 2100 Mhz and Telecom is on 850 Mhz.

I am using a Nokia 6120 or 6121. I can't remember and I am too lazy to find my mobile and open it up tonight.

The company I am working with is 1 of 3 contracting to Vodafaone and another part of the company is on the Telecom project.

The video calls are pretty good though I haven't tried the data yet.