Good Fish And Chips, Australian Style

Hi,

Everytime I've ordered one in samui, I was served something disgusting in a shoe hard oily crust with a side of mashed peas... Ew.

Anyone knows where to find a good Australian style fish n chips on the island ?

Thanks!

Kevin

depending where you are living on samui,there's a fish and chip place in banrak,on the righthand side coming in from fisherman village,and i think its opp. elephant and castle pub.its run by english lady and spanish husband.have heard good reports.

^

Beer-battered fish & chips Aussie style :D

Nothing says it's Friday night batter than fish and chips, and this recipe, which calls for beer in the batter, is just the thing to get you in the mood for the weekend.

Preparation Time

20 minutes

Cooking Time

60 minutes

Ingredients (serves 4)

4 large (about 200g each) unpeeled desiree potatoes, cut into wedges

2 tsp olive oil

225g (1 1/2 cups) self-raising flour

1 egg, lightly whisked

375ml (1 1/2 cups) chilled light beer and a few bottles to drink whist cooking :D

Salt & freshly ground black pepper

Vegetable oil, to deep-fry

8 (about 120g each) white fish fillets (such as flathead or whiting)

Sea salt flakes, to serve

Lemon wedges, to serve

Tartare sauce

1 egg yolk

1 tbs fresh lemon juice

2 tsp mustard powder

250ml (1 cup) light olive oil

2 tbs drained capers, finely chopped

8 baby gherkins (cornichons), finely chopped

2 green shallots, ends trimmed, finely chopped

2 tbs finely chopped fresh continental parsley

1 tbs finely chopped fresh dill

2 tbs finely chopped fresh chives

Salt & freshly ground black pepper

Method

Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Place potato on tray. Drizzle with olive oil. Cook in oven, turning occasionally, for 40 minutes or until golden brown.

Meanwhile, place flour in a bowl. Add the egg and stir to combine. Gradually whisk in the beer until batter is smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest.

To make the tartare sauce, place the egg yolk, lemon juice and mustard powder in the bowl of a food processor and process until mixture thickens. With the motor running, add the oil in a thin steady stream until mixture is creamy. Transfer to a bowl.

Add capers, gherkin, shallot, parsley, dill and chives and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.

Add enough vegetable oil to a large saucepan to reach a depth of 8cm. Heat to 190°C over high heat (when oil is ready a cube of bread will turn golden brown in 10 seconds). Dip 2 pieces of fish, 1 at a time, into batter to coat. Drain off excess. Deep-fry for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown and cooked. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. Repeat, in 3 more batches, with remaining fish and batter, reheating oil between batches.

Divide fish and chips among serving plates. Season with sea salt flakes. Serve with tartare sauce and lemon wedges.

Note : No mushy peas. :wai:

Yours truly, :D

Kan Win :D

P.S. The Islander is not bad for Fish & Chips served with Garden Peas and Tartare sauce :o

Kan Win:

Beer-battered fish & chips Aussie style

samuibeachcomber:

usually lightly pan fried or just breadcrumbed,not like english style beer batter.

So it is either beer battered or not. :o

Thanks for the recipe, but does anyone out there actually have an oven? Maybe them rich folks do, but I sure don't.

Kan Win:
Beer-battered fish & chips Aussie style

samuibeachcomber:

usually lightly pan fried or just breadcrumbed,not like english style beer batter.

So it is either beer battered or not. :o

Thanks for the recipe, but does anyone out there actually have an oven? Maybe them rich folks do, but I sure don't.

I bought my medium sized at Big-C for 1900 baht

Hi,

Everytime I've ordered one in samui, I was served something disgusting in a shoe hard oily crust with a side of mashed peas... Ew.

Thanks!

Kevin

Australian style there is no such thing as style in Australia :o

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

Thanks!

Kevin

Australian style there is no such thing as style in Australia :D

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/1960/beer+...ered+fish+chips

http://australianfood.about.com/od/fishsea...ishandChips.htm

and yes, I do have a life :o thank you for asking "pammy123" :D

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D

I don´t know what is australian style or English style when it comes to fish and chips. I always got served a plate with fish, chips and tartarsauce. Thats it! The nara garden in banrak (left side at the end of the village heading towards the airport) has a tasteful fish and the tartar sauce taste good to. There´s a place in maenam, on the left side 15 meters after the lights, that i forgot the name of, that also has very good fish and chips. To my taste.

I never had it at billabong, but that would probably qualify as Australian style since it is a Aussie place.