Windows 7

Tywais

"In terms of first looks of the OS “feel”, I remember clicking the Control Panel on Vista and the machine took a few seconds to open and render. I won’t say that it’s instantaneous in Windows 7 on my netbook, but it’s pretty close. There’s not much lag at all when maneuvering around the OS and that’s good because it shouldn’t get in your way. I see 30 processes at startup and a pretty reasonable memory footprint in use."

Full Article here > Win 7 on the MSI Wind

I've installed Windows 7 on my MSI Wind a few weeks ago and pleased with it's performance. No problems with drivers, just downloaded the latest Vista drivers for the ones that did not work from the installation DVD.

//edit - I've also added a list of useful Tips on Windows 7 in the pinned topic here > Tips and Tricks

Regarding drivers, special the one which didn't works from installation CD/DVD, you just can copy that drivers to one Dir like C:\driver and set the driver installation file to compatibility modes XP. Win2000 or whatsoever the version of that driver is.

I didn't had any problems with drivers except one old audio driver. And that is a very good sign for on OS in just first Beta stage!

Cheers.

Regarding drivers, special the one which didn't works from installation CD/DVD, you just can copy that drivers to one Dir like C:\driver and set the driver installation file to compatibility modes XP. Win2000 or whatsoever the version of that driver is.

This is true but if a Vista compliant driver is available for download, it is a better choice to be sure all updated features and stability are in place.

This is true but if a Vista compliant driver is available for download, it is a better choice to be sure all updated features and stability are in place.

Normally it should.

I had an Lexmark X215 Multifunction Printer which didn't have a Vista driver and I wasn't able to get tha Printer to work under Vista, was working under Windows 7 well, except the Scanner. Than Lexmark was supply the Vista driver and the the Printer was works well under Vista and the scanner didn't just scanned everything in red. But with that Driver the Printer and Scanner wasn't work under Windows 7 anymore!!

Reinstalled the driver by setting the XP driver for the Printer to compatibility mode Windows 2000 and all works fine: Printer AND Scanner! But than the Lexmark went down and repair should cost THB 8.000!!

Bought an Brother MFC 5860 Network Machine. No driver for Vista on CD! Downloaded the Vista Driver: did NOT works under Vista! Called Brother Thailand and had pickup a new Driver and now that Machine works fine.

Installed the driver for Vista under Windows 7: Did NOT works! Set the Driver to XP SP 2 mode and now works just fine!

That are just some practice experiences which shows the difference between Theory and Praxis! That's why I generaly like to test everything by myself instead of just reading some test results as I posted in an other thread.

Cheers.

That are just some practice experiences which shows the difference between Theory and Praxis! That's why I generaly like to test everything by myself instead of just reading some test results as I posted in an other thread.

Everyone is going to have different experiences due to the huge number of different devices and their associated drivers out there. As such, each one is going to have to trial and error it - nothing to do with reading tests results in a topic.

I installed a new Ricoh multipurpose 100,000 Baht machine in our new facility. It is a color printer, color scanner, color copier, fax machine and document management system. Also, fully networked with SNMP and remote administration. A large set of drivers and administrative tools on two DVDs. The DVD would not even run under VISTA or Win7 complaining it must be newer then WIN95!

Set the setup.exe with WinXP SP2 compatibility mode enabled and it would run ok. Only one driver would not install correctly, the FAX driver. Downloaded the Vista version and the system is fully up <not all the Vista versions are available yet>. Now have to train the tech how to install it on the rest of the computers. So yes, I agree that some fudging is necessary on some systems to get it working.

That is the problem special with drivers!

Like the Brother: downloaded the latest Vista Driver from Brother's Website and it didn't work in Vista! Get a new CD from Brother Thailand and it works on Vista!

Anyway Windows 7 will be for some (longer) time a complete different "game"! Like the experiences I had that drivers didn't work in Vista at all but without any problems in Win 7!

But who's fault is that? MS? Or the Producer? Reading reports and test, mainly MS is given the advantage to be the ONE! Who is responsible for the drivers? the OS developer or the producer? I would say the producer in first place!

I would never deny that MS is doing many things wrong! But I would never tell that the most of the errors related to MS special if there 3. party products involved.

With Windows 7 MS has started an (partly) new way and that way goes in the right direction. I do understand that MS couldn't "make" a complete new system because for that is even not a partly infrastructure available.

Special in times like the current to go that way would be just impossible for any company or organization. Source of mine telling that between 10-14k employees of MS will loose their job in the near future if their not came dramatic chances in the current economic system. Which are not counted at all are the Freelancer Programmers which will loosing their job as well!

Cheers.