Non-imm O At Penang

Sawadee Bee Mai!

I'm off to Penang next week with the Thai wife to apply for a Non-Imm O for the first time. I've read the other postings and it seems likely I won't be asked for much apart from the marriage certificate and wife's ID card. Does anyone know if this is still the case?

I earn 30k a month as a teacher and have few funds in the bank account, so I'm wondering if it's best to use an agency on Chulia Street or to go in person with the wife to the Embassy - any advice?

On another note, my wife has a passport in her maiden name, but the ID card is in her new married name - will this cause any problems at the border (by minibus from Had-Yai) or at the Embassy?

Having read the docs from the Immigration Dept I see they suggest I go for a Single Entry rather than Multiple, as it would be a "waste of money" - is this the case? I have no plans to leave LOS more than once in the next year maybe, but a mate who did this 2 years ago got the Multiple, hasn't left the country in 2 years and gets it renewed at the local Immigration office. He hasn't had to show his bank book once. It seems these visas can be renewed indefinitely within LOS and I know I can get a re-entry permit on the odd occasion I leave - any opinions?

I have a Work Permit, and assume it's a simple case of letting the requisite Ministry play with it on my return to keep it all legal?

I'd really appreciate any advice on this one, as my current Non Imm B seems to be unextendable for less than the price of a new one (1,900 Bt - according to the 2 local Immigration offices I've phoned - but we all know they're in a world of their own), even though this site's (I assume up-to-date) information on extensions seems to suggest I'd pay only 500 Bt for another 90 days. They won't have it and I'd have to pay another 2k in two months for the next year as well...

So this seems to be the best option. BTW I'm in Nakkon Si Thammarat...

Cheers...

Your wife should have the name changed in her passport. Malaysia could give her heartburn at the border but I don't believe they will and if you are there with her it is even less likely. Much easier for a female to travel when name is that of husband (sorry for the keep my name crowd but that is how it is for most people). :o

A visa can not be "renewed" inside Thailand by legal means. You can obtain extension of stay on the basis of work or support of Thai wife. This would only require one entry of 90 days and during the last 30 you make the extension application. Once you have that extension you can renew your work permit to match it. The extension is one year at a time for the cost of 1,900 baht (first extension will be from your current entry date so about 9-10 months if you apply after here 60 days.

Your wife should have the name changed in her passport.  Malaysia could give her heartburn at the border but I don't believe they will and if you are there with her it is even less likely.  Much easier for a female to travel when name is that of husband (sorry for the keep my name crowd but that is how it is for most people). :o

A visa can not be "renewed" inside Thailand by legal means.  You can obtain extension of stay on the basis of work or support of Thai wife.  This would only require one entry of 90 days and during the last 30 you make the extension application.  Once you have that extension you can renew your work permit to match it.  The extension is one year at a time for the cost of 1,900 baht (first extension will be from your current entry date so about 9-10 months if you apply after here 60 days.

Thanks for the swift reply Lopburi!

I know I have to exit the country and apply for a new visa in another country, and I agree with you totally that my wife should update her passport! We have to go by way of Had-Yai so maybe there is a possibility of popping into the passport office there and getting the name change done, if it can be done within a day or two, but I have no experience of that office or the procedure required, let alone what that cost will be!

What I was after was trying to find out was if I would be safer using an agency on Chulia Street or going in person. I don't have the officially required funds, and was also curious how simple/difficult a procedure it was to change an existing work permit from a Non Imm B to a Non Imm O visa. Any ideas?

P.S.

Twas my wife who wanted the name change...

Edited by Captain Haddock

Your wife should have the name changed in her passport.  Malaysia could give her heartburn at the border but I don't believe they will and if you are there with her it is even less likely.  Much easier for a female to travel when name is that of husband (sorry for the keep my name crowd but that is how it is for most people). :o

Lopburi, I am in the same situation concerning name change of my soon to be wife.

As ia have already booked honeymoon air tickets under her maiden name, my idea was to take the trip (to Bali, Indonesia, with a stopover in Singapore) on her passport which we plan to change some later time.

She might get a Thai ID card with her new name before that, though.

Do you think this is a bad idea?

Sunny

As long as you fly together travel under maiden name should not be a problem. It is just that many countries, including Thailand when you leave, carefully check female travelers.

Every time you change visa stay the work permit has to be changed so don't expect it should be much of a problem.

You are not required to have any funds for a non immigrant visa - that is a requirement by immigration for extension of stay and for first time extensions may not be required, especially if you have work.