Ba Or Thai

pilgrim2505

Dearest Forum,

Choosing between Thai or BA.

Anyone flown Heathrow to BKK direct recently? I’m looking at flying with wife and our one year old daughter and I honestly believe having flown a lot that although the Thai flight isn’t the highest Quality and even a little less superior to Eva I find the hosts the best and the way Thais are with kids is a lot better than a crew of Brit hosts might be.

I have a fair amount of opinion left out of this post as I find I want yours not mine.

Any thoughts greatly received.

Pilgrim

I would pick Thai. Assuming you are flying economy, the seats are bigger. The Thai frequent flyer programme is better as well. Only advantage BA have IMO is the personal video screens, but the Thai airbuses should have those as well if you take a daytime flight.

if the price is similar (I would think that thai are cheaper) I would choose thai, because of their hospitality, bigger luggage allowance (even 30kg economy) and ease to change a return leg (they don't charge extra for a date change). Once I have missed my airplane in Bangkok - they just simply put me on the next plane (other airlines would force to buy a ticket).

if the price is similar (I would think that thai are cheaper) I would choose thai, because of their hospitality, bigger luggage allowance (even 30kg economy) and ease to change a return leg (they don't charge extra for a date change). Once I have missed my airplane in Bangkok - they just simply put me on the next plane (other airlines would force to buy a ticket).

Londonthai,

I am surprised to hear about the missed flight, the cost in my situation means that Thai are more expensive but only by £28 if I were flying alone it would be cheaper difference in kids n taxes etc.

For your information:

(LHR - BKK 2 adult 1 infant)

As at 17.02.09: EVA £1148, THAI £1162, BA £1134, CHEAPEST £927 Qatar, Ethihad go up to £1028 previously £875

Also having an infant I am expecting (I might be wrong) a bulk head style seat to have a cot rest bit so leg room here is usually better.

You sure about the 30kg? I flew THAI BKK-LHR recently as well as BKK-Seoul leg and the econ allowance was 20kg.

Haven't flown BA for a while but can say that the seats in the economy section of THAI 747's are probably the most comfortable regular seats I've sat in. Okay you don't have a seatback screen which would be a huge bonus travelling with kids. The service on THAI is okay but nothing exceptional although they are more likely to be children friendly.

Also having an infant I am expecting (I might be wrong) a bulk head style seat to have a cot rest bit so leg room here is usually better.

I would make sure of the cot, by requesting it, when booking !

Also Qatar have just announced (see seperate thread) GBP 356 (Adult), for return-fares booked online, until 30th June (except for a couple of weeks in April) !

BA without a second thoughts. Food Quality, Wine Quality, In-Flight Entertainment and better condition aircraft and engineering and better trained pilots :o which at the end of the day when the sh1t hits the fan at 35,000ft that is all that really matters.

Edited by namoo

I assume that you are talking about flying economy. It really is ‘pot luck’ on the day. With Thai you can drink throughout the flight, no so on BA. Look at westeasttravel for some amazing deals right now.

travel agents in the uk, like westeast travel, will give you 30kg on thai, if you ask. They might charge you additional £3 (see http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Extra-Luggag...-3-t239220.html ).

with thai fares from the travel agents are from £499.

I like thai for their easy attitude, including oversised/overweight hand luggage

I would make sure of the cot, by requesting it, when booking !

Also Qatar have just announced (see seperate thread) GBP 356 (Adult), for return-fares booked online, until 30th June (except for a couple of weeks in April) !

I have had the misfortune to fly Qatar I’m not a fan of stretching what could be a simplish 12 hour flight into 16 or whatever it was. on my return journey one time I missed a connection from bkk (Qatar’s fault not mine) and ended up flying Frankfurt then into London Gatwick I left from Heathrow, the total journey took me in excess of 24 hours I did get an upgrade mid flight but it made no odds I would have flown with chickens in a cargo plane to get home on time. Oh I couldn’t call the missus the whole journey so she assumed I was dead or id done a runner to Nana, Bless…

Thanks for the remind I would have forgot the cot booking. cheers :D

BA without a second thoughts. Food Quality, Wine Quality, In-Flight Entertainment and better condition aircraft and engineering and better trained pilots :o which at the end of the day when the sh1t hits the fan at 35,000ft that is all that really matters.

Good point and I guess with the recent amount of Aircraft “Hitting” the front pages recently probably worth a decent driver after all. As for the drinking a 1 year old while you’re pissed up is not fun when your trying your hardest to knock yourself out in a reclining chair, I be giving it a miss this time round.

It's what happens when the plane is close to the ground that matters!

if the price is similar (I would think that thai are cheaper) I would choose thai, because of their hospitality, bigger luggage allowance (even 30kg economy) and ease to change a return leg (they don't charge extra for a date change).

I always book via netflights.com and BA are doing a sale atm, change return leg for free. thai however have a charge (£100 iirc).

I have an opposite experience with BA from the last year - they did not allow me to change a return date for any money, altough it wasn't clear from the conditions. With thai, even if bought with their agent westeast and not with the airline directly I was able to change return date without charge - did it many times over the years

Pros and cons of both - BA have more modern cabins, with in seat TV's etc (great for kids) - but the legroom on BA (and Qantas) is the tightest I have ever seen, and the cabin crew service might best be described as grudging on too many occasions for my liking. For anyone appoaching 6 feet tall, more than a few hours in BA cattle class will be uncomfortable I think.

Thai have several inches more seat pitch (34" I think?) but obviously lack the IFE - the food is better too IMHO, and the service usually is. If you can take your own IFE (book / ipod / portable DVD player / PSP etc etc) and the price is reasonably close, this is the one I would choose.

I've done the Arabian Gulf option (Emirates) a few times but it makes no sense to me if you're flying from/to LHR when direct flights are available. If flying via a regional airport such as Birmingham, then it is worth considering...

CC

I would pick Thai. Assuming you are flying economy, the seats are bigger. The Thai frequent flyer programme is better as well. Only advantage BA have IMO is the personal video screens, but the Thai airbuses should have those as well if you take a daytime flight.

I have just, two weeks ago, flown to Athens with Thai Airways and it was quite easily the best economy flight I have ever taken, and I am a retired aircraft engineer, the plane was a new 777, the cabin crew were excellent, in service and style, the drinks and food were top class, especially the red wine, the seating was very comfortable indeed. I do normally fly home to the UK with BA, because I know most of the crew personally, but I will definately be flying Thai in future, if the Heathrow service is anything like the Athens service, I will be looking forward to my next trip to Blighty....

One thing BA does have over TG is a premium economy cabin. It's not that cheap but it's better than any economy and cheaper than business class. It also lets you join their ff programme and get tier points. The first time I bought a ticket in PE (World Traveller Plus to use BA parlance) it was accidental as it was part of an economy return booking and I only realised after I bought it. When I checked in in BKK, I was upgraded to business, so I never got to try it until my next holiday.

• 2 weeks later...

I just booked up to fly Thai in April and coincidently it was the 2nd best price 1st was BA, I have flown with them all I love Eva but flying with a 1 year old and a Thai wife I chose Thai because of the way the Thai people are yes I want my own TV but I’m flying on a night flight so all I wana do is get my fat head down and get my daughter to sleep. I don’t really like BA id love to fly Singapore but now there’s three flying its not really a feasible option. moterbike would be good but i dont have the spare time either.

I assume that you are talking about flying economy. It really is 'pot luck' on the day. With Thai you can drink throughout the flight, no so on BA. Look at westeasttravel for some amazing deals right now.

Since when?

Not sure too but def right about the Westesttravel i was a firm southall travel until recently.

Business class BA leaves Thais business class product looking like economy.

Qatar business had some super heavyweight cutlery and the coolest remote controlled white leather recliner ever, even though a miss press cost me a vertical recline whilst all eyes were on trying to look like “yeah I ment that”, I’m cool.

For want of not trying to my dog is bigger than yours. I apologise in advance.

Business class BA leaves Thais business class product looking like economy.

Qatar business had some super heavyweight cutlery and the coolest remote controlled white leather recliner ever, even though a miss press cost me a vertical recline whilst all eyes were on trying to look like “yeah I ment that”, I’m cool.

For want of not trying to my dog is bigger than yours. I apologise in advance.

QR business is good value ticket price wise But doesn't compete with the comfort of BA's completely flat beds and privacy. Food is of similar quality BA has the edge - breakfast much better in BA and the wine selection in BA leaves QR wines for dead. BA entertainment IFE is also better

But then again QR prices are quarter of BA's.

With regard to BA you cannot drink all flight comment??? last time I flew BA they left the Bottle of red with me while I watched a movie as they didnt want to keep disturbing me to ask if I wanted a top up :o

Edited by namoo

Have flown BA in the past LHR - BKK. Poky little seats which are unpleasant for anyone tall, plus a charge to change the return leg of the flight should you require it.

Thai Airways had bigger seats + no charge for changing the return date of the journey, good in-flight service and some nice eye candy.

BA does have better business class seats, but they are expensive. Their ff program is also harder to enroll into and much harder to acheive status.

BA economy seats are cramped and uncomfortable. Their premium economy is good but not as good as EVA. Shame TG don't have a similar product.

This month will be first time with eva,want to try] them out,been with thai b4,no complaints.Im still gutted as i booked in december b4 the sales.

Paid 1950 pounds for 2 adult 2 kids,could have save a few hundred pound if waited till january]. :o