Why Is My Car Shaking

chiangrai

i have a peugot 205 and i was doing 80km/hr on the highway the other day and it started to vibrate,

i sped up and it stopped,

i brought it back down to 80 again and it started again,this time i left it get worse,

very strange sensation,

it seemed to start from the wheel and come up through the gearstick,

untill the whole front of the car was shoudering madly and the gearstick was waving from side to side so much i thought it was going to break my knee,

arai waa,

i turned off the highway and it was fine,there is also a knocking sound from the same wheel when i turn hard,

i've got an auful feeling that my front wheel drives are going,

it happened me before about 15 years ago,i think they are the same symthoms but can't remember,

any advise please

Badly out of balance wheel ??

Or a bearing thats totally destructed ?? Go check your wheel bolts of course !!

Drive shafts can make a noise, but if the wheel / suspension bushes and linkages are tight they should not allow vibration intot he wheel and through to the steering ??

i have a peugot 205 and i was doing 80km/hr on the highway the other day and it started to vibrate,

i brought it back down to 80 again and it started again,this time i left it get worse,

very strange sensation,

untill the whole front of the car was shoudering madly and the gearstick was waving from side to side so much i thought it was going to break my knee,

arai waa,

i turned off the highway and it was fine,there is also a knocking sound from the same wheel when i turn hard,

it happened me before about 15 years ago,i think they are the same symthoms but can't remember,

any advise please

Could be the front ball joint (most likely); could be a strange out-of-balance problem with one tyre, or the rim may have a dent (not very likely); or it's shaking because of too much caffeine (highly unlikely). It's a quick trip on a lift to check the joint. If one's gone, the other will want to be looked at. And if it's gonna be up in the air for a repair, have the covers on both sides replaced - they're inexpensive but costly if that's all the labour you have done).

very strange sensation,

arai waa,

any advise please

Could be the front ball joint (most likely); could be a strange out-of-balance problem with one tyre, or the rim may have a dent (not very likely); or it's shaking because of too much caffeine (highly unlikely). It's a quick trip on a lift to check the joint. If one's gone, the other will want to be looked at. And if it's gonna be up in the air for a repair, have the covers on both sides replaced - they're inexpensive but costly if that's all the labour you have done).

thanks guys,

will get it checked,but if it needs parts from peugeot nothing is cheap,

if it's the drives she's scrap,

hopefully it can just be tightened,

will let yoy know

Drive shafts can make a noise, but if the wheel / suspension bushes and linkages are tight they should not allow vibration intot he wheel and through to the steering ??

sounds about right to me.

:o You mean NUTS...Sorry. :D

Sounds like its a simple wheel balancing issue. your symptoms are right on target for that.

Sometimes they can go out of balance because a balance weight has fallen off or as simple as mud getting into the tire.

An unbalanced wheel vibration can be increased in severity by a bad shock or strut as well.

Just take it to a shop and get it re-balanced and have them check for alignment while your there. will save your tires later on if they are off.

Greg

Chaingrai, the cracking noise is almost certainly a CV [constant velocity drive joint} worn when turning hard,

Its unusual they cause wheel shake at speed though, unless the outer securing nut has come loose, and/or the splines are badly worn on the wheel drive part,

At most it will need a CV joint, drive hub and bearings,+labour to cure the clicking/cracking noise, it might cure the speed vibration as well, but check for un-even tyre wear,balance ect,

erm no... Bolts !!

Dont know what car you drive but all the cars I have owned had wheel bolts.

205's 100% for sure.. Bolts not nuts.

Mmmmmmm Bolts are the long ones with external thread,nuts are the hexagon ones,that go on the bolt.Is their a difference in language?

Edited by tritexengineering

tritexengineering i've got to go with LivinLos on this one. Peugeot use bolts on a lot of their cars instead of stud and nuts commonly used on other makes of vehicles.

Oh yes,i'm not argueing the point,i don't own a Peugeot and i have no doubt after doing some searching,that there are cars that use this system.I grew up with Fords and Holdens,so i only ever really saw the nut system!I was/am too poor to own a Peugeot! :o I see Porsche use the same setup!

very strange sensation,

arai waa,

any advise please

Front wheel drive cars allways facing this problems. Check you driveshafts (left and rightside). bearings in the joints are "gone". One day work, cost approx about 3'000 to 5'000 Baht for replacement (non original parts) both side. Change both, because the otherone will fail in another month.

Peugeot 205 is bolt.

I had this same problem with my old 205, it was the driveshaft, at certain speeds the driveshaft would resonate causing it to feel like the wheel was vibrating, it would vibrate through the steering wheel.

New driveshaft was problem solved, but your problem may be different, get it checked, you dont want to be stranded out in the middle of nowhere trying to pop a driveshaft back in or even worse, try to find your wheel after it has overtaken your car.

a piece of french crap when it left the factory, i am surprised its lasted this long!

I disagree with you. When this car was first launched, it was within standard of this time. The only cars that were of higher quality were German. Japanese were not very popular yet. But all other cars on the market were at a similar level of quality, or lower (if we compare with same range).

Besides you might be amazed to see how many 205 are still on the roads, and not only in France.

Peugeot has since improved its standards, but so did a lot of manufacturers.

erm no... Bolts !!

Dont know what car you drive but all the cars I have owned had wheel bolts.

205's 100% for sure.. Bolts not nuts.

Mmmmmmm Bolts are the long ones with external thread,nuts are the hexagon ones,that go on the bolt.Is their a difference in language?

And the bolt is the long one with a thread.. That goes through the wheel onto the flat of the drum or plate for the wheel to mount on.

Pug 205.. Has bolts !! As do the vast majority of Euro cars.

I know a little about this subject....my car also shakes violently across the roadway sometimes....its also due to a loose nut behind the wheel :o

try using petrol instead of vodka,shakes will disappear :D

dont you mean that the other way around?

I know a little about this subject....my car also shakes violently across the roadway sometimes....its also due to a loose nut behind the wheel :o

no t.s if he's using vodka as fuel in the quatities needed his car would get the shakes.

I know a little about this subject....my car also shakes violently across the roadway sometimes....its also due to a loose nut behind the wheel :D

:o:D