Atlanta Hotel Bangkok

keepwalking

This place sounds like a hoot. I have to admit I had to look up catamite. I previously thought it just meant homosexual, how wrong I was.

A catamite is the younger partner in a pederastic relationship between two males, which was a popular arrangement in many areas of the ancient world.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a long term bussiness owner, When you or other people dont go there. She has lost money. Not smart on her part , but up to her.

Is money the only motive in life? What about dignity? Morals? Ethics? A sense of community? Who has really lost? When you walk along the Sukhumvit Road, it strikes me the real losers are the ethnic Thai who have become an underclass to Chinese overlords in their own nation.

I have a long history with the Atlanta Hotel. I stayed there when the owner, an Austrian named Max(who had a diplomatic history in India)was still alive. He used to read the paper every morning and had a calm bemused attitude. It was a bare-bones room one could rent there and it had the first swimming pool in Thailand and the arty lobby with little writing desks with their own stationary. It was a preserved time warp type of place. And Max's a Thai-Chinese lady managed the place. At the time the place was accepting of bar girls and free lancers and there really were very few problems. Thermae girls used to joke about going up the stairway to the rooms since there was never an elevator. If you came in late their would be some katoeys sitting in the lobby waiting to snatch some business. But Max grew old and his son returned from the UK. He was the moral guard that changed everything. I was staying there when the first sign went up about sex tourists. It was in the hallway facing the pool. Soon afterward the sign went up outside. Then they stiffened up on Thais. My wife occasionally went there for a room without me and was turned away and referred to Golden Hotel on Soi 1. Then I was rejected too, because the only people they accepted had to reserve by fax only. Very peculiar! It was obvious that the clientle preferred was the sort of arty backpacker, intellectual non-sex tourist type of person. It became impossible to stay there and the restaurant, mediocre at best with it's emphasis on vegetarian bland versions of Thai dishes became chilly too. I know several Thai female businessswomen who were refused service and were furious about it--to the point of writing it up in the Thai press. The last time I went into the Hotel was about 3 years ago with my Indian girlfriend to take some pictures using the lobby as a backdrop. After ten minutes the son was giving us the evil eye and we left shortly afterward. One guy screwed up a great place. He is running a museum not a hotel at this point.

Well look at this in another perspective.

In Chiang Mai where I live, I know of a few restaurants where youngish Thai tarts hang about outside willing to be company for any stupid Farang that will buy them a meal.

It gives the place a bad reputation as a decent class restaurant and puts a lot of family groups and middle aged couples off visiting the place.

These eating establishments rely on good reputations and want to be known in the tourist guides as high class venues.

I have no doubts that if any Farang walked into the Atlanta Hotel with a Thai wife or respectable looking Thai girlfriend of a similar age group, that they would be welcome.

I have no doubts that if any Farang walked into the Atlanta Hotel with a Thai wife or respectable looking Thai girlfriend of a similar age group, that they would be welcome

I don't think they would allow unmarried couples there to share a room. Period. Read the website.

Haha welcome? sassienie - Atlanta Hotel is the least welcoming hotel in Bangkok. I remember correctly - they do not take complaints from guests either - its not allowed. :o Atlanta is worse place to stay than Grace or Nana Hotel and this is saying smth.

As for bringing your thai wife there and receiving respect - hardly, probably think she was a former bg and not admit her for that reason alone.

Edited by britmaveric

It can go either way if you check in with a thai. If you charm the staff with polite thai langauge skills they may over look the fact that you are not married.

Someone complained about the rooms. They are simple, decorated with random retro pieces, lamps that dont work etc, but they were cheap (350-550b) which was a great price for Sukhumvit soi 1.

As for the restaurant, the food was bland but you can always ask politely to spice it up and they would.

Unfortunately I haven't set foot in there for 2-3 yrs since they ripped off my friend 70,000b from her room. It's a pity because I miss the place. I gotta say alot of the complaints presented here to me were what made the unique charm of the joint.

We will all miss it when it is ripped down and the put up a condo. Architecture like this is a gem in inner city Bkk these days.

I gotta say alot of the complaints presented here to me were what made the unique charm of the joint.

We will all miss it when it is ripped down and the put up a condo. Architecture like this is a gem in inner city Bkk these days.

I strongly agree with this part of your post. It is indeed sad that there seems to be no local group or society interested in preserving some of these older architecturally significant places in Bangkok. And if there is such an organization it doesn't appear to have much influence. I find it particularly distressing to walk around parts of Chinatown and Rattanakosin and see the old shophouses with the wooden shuttered doors and windows literally rotting and falling apart. I fear that many are already too far gone to renovate and will eventually be torn down and replaced by modern tasteless structures.

There was a fantastic old multi-story wooden Thai style house just around the corner on the right hand side from the Ratchatewi BTS station on Petchaburi road just a half year ago. It seemed to me to be a Thai architectural treasure. Unfortunately it sat on some very desirable land and is now gone. Truly a shame.

Even at Wat Trimitr (Temple of the Golden Buddha) they are building a monolithic marble bot which, to me anyway, destroys the old ambiance of the compound. I can't help but suspect that it was someones idea that a huge new flashy structure will bring in more tourist money.

Singapore has done an wonderful job restoring the old Peranakan style buildings in various areas of the city particularly in Chinatown, but in other areas as well. It would be great if the same kind of effort where done here. I fear that soon the only older significant buildings left in Bangkok will be those with a tourist income value.

You all remember the thread about the grumpy guy who always had to sit in the same seat at the coffee shop in Emprium? Every time he found somebody sitting in his seat, he apparently threw a hissy fit. So all the Thaivisa folks started organizing visits to this coffee shop to intentionally frustrate him and watch his silly, childish reaction.

This seems like a similar situation, although this time the target is perhaps more deserving than that poor, sad guy at Emporium.

What you all say? Let's get our Thai wives/girlfriends/husbands/boyfriends and all show up there one day at the same time! Bring your kids, too. I'll bring my Thai-American daughter! We'll all have a bite to eat at the restaurant, maybe book a few rooms. Everyone bring video cameras if you have 'em. Everyone dress nicely and behave. Don't order alcohol. Better yet, let's get a bunch of people to FAX in room reservations, too (not indicating anything about our SO's nationalities). The staff reaction should be a hoot! I'm in!

So it seems the whole reason the place is this way now is because of the son of the founder's beef with Thailand and possibly with the way his father ran things. Amazing. A psychiatrist's case, this is.

Indeed, very true. We could be here till the cows come home discussing our own and one another's illogical actions as a result of upbringing and our residual feelings, grudges and perceived obligations to our parents. A fascinating topic.

As a long term bussiness owner, When you or other people dont go there. She has lost money. Not smart on her part , but up to her.

Is money the only motive in life? What about dignity? Morals? Ethics? A sense of community? Who has really lost? When you walk along the Sukhumvit Road, it strikes me the real losers are the ethnic Thai who have become an underclass to Chinese overlords in their own nation.

you seem to have a real chip on your shoulder over the chinese, or to borrow one of your earlier turns of phrase "greasy chink"

In Chiang Mai where I live, I know of a few restaurants where youngish Thai tarts hang about outside willing to be company for any stupid Farang that will buy them a meal

"Typical western female perspective", don't you mean? I wouldn't classify the 'farangs' as stupid. Picking up youngish Thai 'tarts' for a meal could lead to some sexual gymnastics, later in the evening. :o

But don't worry, I'm sure there're lots of dreadlocked, Thai beach-boy scumbag types down south to keep the western women company.

In Chiang Mai where I live, I know of a few restaurants where youngish Thai tarts hang about outside willing to be company for any stupid Farang that will buy them a meal.

It gives the place a bad reputation as a decent class restaurant and puts a lot of family groups and middle aged couples off visiting the place.

These eating establishments rely on good reputations and want to be known in the tourist guides as high class venues.

I have no doubts that if any Farang walked into the Atlanta Hotel with a Thai wife or respectable looking Thai girlfriend of a similar age group, that they would be welcome.

Not only are you absolutely wrong about the Atlanta welcoming "respectable" Thais, you also reveal some very derogatory attitudes about Thai women and farang men. Such comment is totally gratuitous and based on unwarranted stereotyping of both groups.

Surely it would be far more helpful to explode the urban myths of the "sex-tourist", "the Thai tart" and the "stupid farang" rather than perpetuate such trashy, racist, labels. (Ask yourself, for example, have you ever heard of a "temple tourist" or an "elephant tourist"??? why, then a "sex-tourist"???)

Others have suggested that the Atlanta is worthy of preservation for its architectural features. While the architecture of the building is hideous the internal staircase is a stunner. The writing room, swimming pool area, reception and dining room are indeed fine examples of deco/retro decor and well worthy of preservation.

I first stayed at the Atlanta back in 1984. I loved the place, so friendly, full of characters. I remember with affection Rudolph Krouse the smooth german guy who would winter in Bangkok and Otto the not so slightly crazy Austrian guy. Even back then it was like stepping back through a time warp. As a young man I was really attracted to the general "feel" of the place and turned a blind eye to the fact that the rooms, although cheap, were truly atrocious.

However as the years went by I decided that a CLEAN and comfortable room were of far greater importance than "character" and have since chosen to stay at more luxurious places. However the memory of the Atlanta remained in my mind with affection.

I was stunned, to say the least, when I saw this thread open and was truly aghast at what was being said. I decided a little "googling" was called for and I very nearly dropped my beer when I read what had become of the place. It seems the place has gone back quicker than my hairline!!!

Imagine my dismay when I read the comments of Max Henn's Thai/German son, Charles, who now owns the place.... "Throughout the 1970s and early 1980s, the Atlanta's clientele were the dregs of humanity,"

Were we really THAT bad?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for the discrimination against Thai ladies and mixed race couples, may the present management hold their heads in shame.

It would appear that the hotel has gone down the lines of pretending to be something that it is not. The beautiful foyer was always a facade hiding the fact that it was basically a grubby hotel but it seems that as the years roll by this pretence is magnified.

The hotel stands as a monument to the very worst of Thai traits, APPEARANCE being of primary importance, quality a very poor second.

If you're an arty "first timer" wanting to bury your head in the sand and "do" mysterious Thailand it's probably an ideal place to stay. If however you are (as most TV members are) somewhat more realistic it would be advisable to avoid this place like the plague.

To consider my wife (from Nakhon Sawan) or Brit/Thai son bing looked down upon in a hotel owned by a guy who is of mixed mixed race himself borders on the obscene.

This was supposed to be a light hearted post but I'm afraid I've got myself a little carried away..... I suppose some things are simply too serious to be taken light heartedly.

In Chiang Mai where I live, I know of a few restaurants where youngish Thai tarts hang about outside willing to be company for any stupid Farang that will buy them a meal

"Typical western female perspective", don't you mean? I wouldn't classify the 'farangs' as stupid. Picking up youngish Thai 'tarts' for a meal could lead to some sexual gymnastics, later in the evening. :o

But don't worry, I'm sure there're lots of dreadlocked, Thai beach-boy scumbag types down south to keep the western women company.

Oh, don't jump to conclusions, I'm a Western male and I think they're stupid too.

(I take it you don't get laid on the islands, RC. Have to take a carry out from BKK, do you?)

I lived at the Atlanta for a month in 2004. The place was a good deal and the pool is open 24 hours. It did feel a bit like living in a museum, but I kind of liked that part. The staff was friendly to me and I was to them as well.

Now, I am female, but I never had a problem bringing Thai female friends (office girl types) to the restaurant or to my room. I was even expecting for the staff to say no when it was late one night and I brought some Thai friends in. There is NO insult intended to anyone's TGF, but the staff accepted these girls without the least bit of a fuss.

The one thing that has kept me from going back is the area. I would leave the hotel and go to the 7-11 and get propositioned regularly (while wearing long sleeves and ankle length skirts.) And, yes, I am white. I can't imagine what walking there is like for some of the Thais that work in the hotel.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the bump, its just that I googled some info on Atlantis Hotel as I am thinking of staying there soon.

Was surprised to read what people think of it.

I will be going solo, so as a solo female I have to admit the idea of a "no sex tourist" policy kind of appeals. Now, thats not because I take a moral high-ground on it! (Im saying nothing on that front..I have my own views, and believe each to their own). Its just in all honesty I have somewhat negative assumptions about the general sex-tourist. Sorry, but thats true. For me it conjures up images of a man who may be anti-western female, a lager-lout type, old pervy guy, etc (basically a lot of cliche's i guess..but probably based on some truth.. ?). Or worse, a group of guys who have come on a trip together and are going a bit wild. I want to feel safe and comfortable when im somewhere im not sure about, plus im quite shy. The thought of using a pool for example where i may get snide remarks or hit on by drunk man or whatever, doesnt make me feel relaxed and comfortable. Of course, even if sex tourists were welcome, it may not be like that at all! I dont wish to offend, its just an honest concern for me. As im sure it would be for other solo female travellers, of any nationality.

However, the policy of accepting no Thai shocks me. My bf is a respectable Thai man, who i imagine (i hope) would be able to get past this policy. However, I strongly believe he shouldnt need to!

This policy leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. No Thai should have to face that humiliation.

But, in all honesty, for the price and location (I want to be close to Bumrungrad Hospital), I am going to ignore that policy and book my stay, as im on my own. I cannot seem to find anything as close for the same price.

I certainly wont be telling my bf about the policy!

If I do decide to stay, I will post my experience, for whoever may be interested.

----------------

Oh, don't jump to conclusions, I'm a Western male and I think they're stupid too.

(I take it you don't get laid on the islands, RC. Have to take a carry out from BKK, do you?)

Woah..RusticCharm..thats some serious spouting off. I dont even think sassienie is female! Well..i have no idea though. I certainly didnt read sassienie's post and think "Typical western female perspective".

As for your comment about dreadlocked, scumbag Thai-boys blahblah, that is really unnecessary. I think if you look at a typical Thai male/western female (outside of beachy-touristy places..although of course "regular" relationships are there too) you will find average respectable western women with average respectable Thai men.

Make your point of course by all means, but I think there really is no need for comments like that. Particularly as I dont see how sassienies post seems to be from a particularly female (western or otherwise) point of view.

I've checked out the Atlanta hotel a few times, and to be honest, despite my personal disagreements with some of the political philosophies of the all-knowing Dr. Max Henn, the place was charming and, to be honest, quite refreshing compared to the depravities of the nearly Nana district. The food is good, the photos are interesting, the commentary is hilarious (as long as you don't take it too seriously) and he actually gives some pretty good advice about living in Bangkok in his little tourist guide.

I say hands off the Atlanta... it's Henn's place, if you look respectable enough they aren't going to turn you back, and if you really insist on hitting up the sex tourist scene there's a lot of other places in the district for you to go that will be more than accommodating.

jc

Can you imagine this place being run by Basil Fawlty?

"Don't mention the bargirl, we did once, but I think we got away with it," or how about, " No Mr Fawlty, is not a lat, is hamster"

Brit's will understand.