All Problems Solved, We Are Now Heading In The Right Direction

Mai Krap

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/feb/2...-tourism-sunray

Thailand launches national cocktail to lure tourists

* Ian MacKinnon in Bangkok

* The Guardian, Friday 20 February 2009

When tourism has taken a self-inflicted battering, the temptation might be to have a drink to drown your sorrows.

Thailand is going a step further: it has invented a new national cocktail, which it hopes will help visitors forget the hangover from the disastrous airport shutdowns late last year.

Intended as an answer to Singapore's slings, Cuba's mojitos and the many manhattans downed in New York, the Siam sunray is intended to give tourists an instant taste of Thailand's charms.

At the very least the drink's ingredients are far from bland: a shot of vodka, coconut liqueur, a dash of chilli pepper and sugar, lime juice, a few slivers of lemongrass and ginger, with the whole mixture shaken then strained into a glass with ice and soda water.

Thailand's tourism authority formally rolled out the drink yesterday, grandly styling the concoction "Thailand in a glass: the new punch in Thai tourism."

Perhaps it is a long shot. But with the country's export-led economy taking a beating in the global slowdown and the vital tourism sector that once drew 14 million visitors to jungles and pristine beaches still suffering, anything is worth a try.

The hope is that the heady brew will ease the pain caused by 300,000 stranded foreign travellers at the start of the peak season when Bangkok's main international airport was closed by anti-government protesters for eight days. Thailand's tourist resorts and hotels - major contributors to the economy - are still feeling the effects.

But perhaps the Siam sunray - coined to evoke Thailand's ancient name - may leave a better taste and instil a collective amnesia among the travelling public.

"Thailand's new signature drink is based on very Thai ingredients," said the tourism authority. "Successful signature drinks are one way to fast-track holiday destinations on to the world tourism map."

Thailand's new signature drink is based on very Thai ingredients
a shot of vodka
!!!!!

with most of the world tumbling into recession , with the currency of thailands biggest provider of tourists , the uk , falling to record lows against the baht , and with all the overcharging and silly scams that infuriate tourists continuing unabated , i think thailand will have to do more than come up with a vodka and chilli cocktail , that will be impossible for tourists to buy on an ever increasing number of days thanks to selling restrictions.

thailand is not the cheap paradise it once was . good value , good service and good manners are getting harder and harder to find now unless you go 5 star.

i have visitors , friends and family ,come over from the uk every christmas and new year , most were surprised by the expense this year and by the falling off in standards at the , admittedly , touristy places we took them to visit.

the quality of a lot of tourists also leaves a lot to be desired , unkempt , uncouth , loud and demanding in the main , plodding around the streets with cigarettes in their mouths and with sullen teenage kids in tow , they do not enhance the landscape one bit. thais seem to despise them , as do i.

hopefully most of them will be too busy queuing up at moscow and london soup kitchens next year to be able to consider a trip over here.

low season cant come quickly enough for this poster.

When tourism has taken a self-inflicted battering, the temptation might be to have a drink to drown your sorrows.

Thailand is going a step further: it has invented a new national cocktail, which it hopes will help visitors forget the hangover from the disastrous airport shutdowns late last year.

Intended as an answer to Singapore's slings, Cuba's mojitos and the many manhattans downed in New York, the Siam sunray is intended to give tourists an instant taste of Thailand's charms.

At the very least the drink's ingredients are far from bland: a shot of vodka, coconut liqueur, a dash of chilli pepper and sugar, lime juice, a few slivers of lemongrass and ginger, with the whole mixture shaken then strained into a glass with ice and soda water.

Thailand's tourism authority formally rolled out the drink yesterday, grandly styling the concoction "Thailand in a glass: the new punch in Thai tourism."

Perhaps it is a long shot. But with the country's export-led economy taking a beating in the global slowdown and the vital tourism sector that once drew 14 million visitors to jungles and pristine beaches still suffering, anything is worth a try.

The hope is that the heady brew will ease the pain caused by 300,000 stranded foreign travellers at the start of the peak season when Bangkok's main international airport was closed by anti-government protesters for eight days. Thailand's tourist resorts and hotels - major contributors to the economy - are still feeling the effects.

But perhaps the Siam sunray - coined to evoke Thailand's ancient name - may leave a better taste and instil a collective amnesia among the travelling public.

"Thailand's new signature drink is based on very Thai ingredients," said the tourism authority. "Successful signature drinks are one way to fast-track holiday destinations on to the world tourism map."

Be better if they called it "Thailand in a Glasshouse" :o:D

:o Not even close. Yes Thailand is a desireable destination, but the tourist trade here is determined by international economic factors, and the pain isn't over yet in the world economy. No matter what Thailand does, the international economy will determine the results, not just Thailand's tourist promotions.

Just fro example, I bet the SET will drop today...based on the DOW yesteday and the start of trading in Japan and South Korea. The lowest point hasn't been found yet.

:D

They had their own "singapore sling" for years. "Mai Thai". Or at least i always thought it was a Thai national drink. Did i misunderstand that? :D:D .

Many are mistaken by it's Name!

Has NOTHING to do with "Thai" - that why THIS Cocktail HASN't been chosen to be the "THAI-Cocktail"!

But any of Thais I have met so far, all of them do think it's a Thai Cocktail! :o

The Mai Tai is a well-known alcoholic cocktail purportedly invented at the "Tiki-Bar" in the Trader Vic's "Polynesian-style" restaurant in Oakland, California in 1944.....The Trader Vic story of its invention is that the Trader (Victor J. Bergeron) created it one afternoon for some friends who were visiting from Tahiti. One of them tasted it and cried out: "Maita'i roa!" (Literally "good very!", figuratively "Out of this world!")
...that's why!

Besides the Mai Tai in its orginal version does NOT contain Pineapple Juice!

is one of several cocktails selected by the International Bartenders Association (IBA) for use in the annual World Cocktail Competition (WCC)[1] in bartending. As such, these mixed drinks are some of the most notable and frequently-made cocktails by professional bartenders around the world.

Quotes from -Wiki-

Well, believe it or not there is a Thai-Vodka destilled in Thailand!

However I agree, they should have come up with some Concoction using distinct Thai Ingredients, like Regency, or Saeng Som, Lao Koa is too 'rough' for a Cocktail!

Come on, give 'em some credits for approaching the whole thing with some Thai-Sanook-Creativity, don't grumble and howl at everything!

That the once strong currencies of the us, uk and eu went down isn't a Thai-Problem, when their currency took a dive in 1998 everybody with hard currency flocked over here and had a party.... shopping is over - get real!

Go end get: Island in the Sun, Novel by Alec Waugh, get the Song "Island in the Sun" from Harry Belafonte, a nice large Mai Tai, a sunchair and RELAX - ENJOY the time that is left.......! :D don't waste the good times with baseless rant!

They had their own "singapore sling" for years. "Mai Thai". Or at least i always thought it was a Thai national drink. Did i misunderstand that? :D:D .

did you ever

I guess i did, thx for the info! :D .

Anyway, im with samuian in using Thai ingredients. For istans the 99 crown wiskey. "a selection of the finest scotish malts, carefully blended with pure Thai alcohol" as it says on the bottle. Very good in drinks. :wai::o !

Mai Thai = Not Thai :D

Wow, poorsucker. After all these years you are starting to pick up some thai on those courses, hahaha. But yeah, i been thinking in those lines for years and my wife who seem to think it is a Thai drink could never explain the name, hahaha. Well, i learned something new today aswell! :P .

Edit: And while they are at it, they should take advantage of the nice fresh fruits they have in Thailand, when creating a Thai drink.

Edited by mattias33

However I agree, they should have come up with some Concoction using distinct Thai Ingredients, like Regency, or Saeng Som, Lao Koa is too 'rough' for a Cocktail!

Well I must admit it was pitched at the lower end of the market where the majority of drinkers are. As you correctly say there is a niche slot for the five star hotel quality tourists where the Regency would play it's part.

Well I must admit it was pitched at the lower end of the market where the majority of drinkers are. As you correctly say there is a niche slot for the five star hotel quality tourists where the Regency would play it's part.

replace w with c and we are getting closer!

How about a

"Reggae Pub floorduster"?

or a

"MINT Club Techno Rattler"?

maybe

"Escorial Escape" ?

"Salinas Beach Buster" ?

"Good Karma Warm'a" ?

"Solo Pub Mind Erosion"?

"Sound Pub Pool Crawl"

ahh well, certain things stir up my creativity...

Edited by Samuian

A shot of sang som or regenzy, some chickenfingers (with nail on), papaya, tre of those small black crabs that i would never dream of eating because im not born in isaan, chilli,chilli,chilli,chilli and some chilli. Do it in a mixer 5 minuites. Poor it in a glass that is filled to the top with ice. A little leo or soda always work to top it of.

Now, THAT´s a taste of Thailand. The other one will just confuse impressions later on.