Prime Minister Worries About Thailand Image

Mai Krap

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/13...-thailand-image

PM worries about Thailand image

By: BangkokPost.com

Published: 20/02/2009 at 10:07 AM

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva on Friday expressed concerns about Thailand's image as the red-shirt supporters plan to hold rallies during the 14th Asean Summit.

He, however, said he is confident that the summit will serve as an opportunity for Thailand to restore confidence as it is serving as the host of the summit.

The premier said he is not worried that the planned rallies of the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) will make the Asean leaders to skip the summit.

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody (abroad) give a dam_n about the red shirts as long as they don't block the airport. I don't remember him to be so concerned when the PAD was putting Thailand on the headlines a few month ago ...

What foreigners really care about are the Rohingya refugees, Giles and Harry Nicolaides. But I believe Abhi comments are directed to a local audience, so far the Thai government has only show disdain to foreign institutions.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/13...-thailand-image PM worries about Thailand image By: BangkokPost.com Published: 20/02/2009 at 10:07 AM Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva on Friday expressed concerns about Thailand's image as the red-shirt supporters plan to hold rallies during the 14th Asean Summit. He, however, said he is confident that the summit will serve as an opportunity for Thailand to restore confidence as it is serving as the host of the summit. The premier said he is not worried that the planned rallies of the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) will make the Asean leaders to skip the summit.

A bit late to start worrying about Thailands Image Now (PAD) and the airport closure. I am afraid Thailand took a battering on the International playing field over that fiasco. Tourists wont forget that anytime soon.

The Red Shirt plans to hold rallies. Please Mr Abhisit don't get your Knickers in a twist about Plans to hold rallies.

Sit back and have A nice Thai Cocktail Relax and think, Maybe help the Hotels in Tourist areas would be a start.

Or bring down the Value of the Baht.

Now I am loosing it so time to go

Asean members know very well what the deal is, who reds are and what they rally for, and it ain't democracy.

So yes, it is a worrying image if so many people keep trying to bring a convicted criminal back to power, a man Asean members don't want in their own countries.

Asean members know very well what the deal is, who reds are and what they rally for, and it ain't democracy.

So yes, it is a worrying image if so many people keep trying to bring a convicted criminal back to power, a man Asean members don't want in their own countries.

For sure Asean members understand Abhi's problems. In Burma, they have Aung San Su Kyi , in Malaysia they have Anwar, Hun Sen has problem on his own too ... even in Singapore , they talk about an opposition party ! Definitely Abhi will find a lot of support during the next Asean meeting

Yes Mr. KnowItAll and Mr. Judge, you are right. :D

Its not red shirts who ruined the image of Thailand, its PAD (then supported by Abhisit) who did the job. :o

Its not red shirts who ruined the image of Thailand, its PAD (then supported by Abhisit) who did the job.

And you know that how?

Samak and Somchai were clowns in their own right and an embarassement to the country, as well as their choices of Foreign ministers. No one cried for them when they were busted.

Also PAD is undeniably assossiated with institutions that signify country's stability.

When Dems finally prevailed it looked like Thailand was finally past the madness but reds now try to bring all back.

Also PAD is undeniably assossiated with institutions that signify country's stability.

When Dems finally prevailed it looked like Thailand was finally past the madness but reds now try to bring all back.

That's what I like with you Plus, no apologize, everything's so clear. PAD is just the instrument of an "highest" order, same as the democrats, democracy is a scam.

Fair enough, we agree or we don't but at least we know where you stand

For sure Asean members understand Abhi's problems. In Burma, they have Aung San Su Kyi , in Malaysia they have Anwar, Hun Sen has problem on his own too ... even in Singapore , they talk about an opposition party ! Definitely Abhi will find a lot of support during the next Asean meeting

Equating Thaksin with Aung San Su Kyi? Should I laugh, choke or just sit back in stunned silence? I rarely agree with what you say, but you are normally one of the more level headed red supporters. I didn't think you would stoop so low Pierrot.

In the last 30 years, the Democrats havent won an election with overall majority even once.

Thailand has a multiparty system, no party has ever won overall majority until TRT in 2005. Don't remember exact numbers for 2000.

I think the key word is "won" and TRT would have done a hat-trick.

ell with such a recent history, with a Ex-Prime Minister on the run, many more cases pending against him, hisEx-Wife, Family and close aides.... I wood worry about the image of this country too - if i were the PM!

It's not exactly a clean image of a dominantly Buddhist country with a Constitutional Monarchy and the longest reign Monarch in the world!

In the last 30 years, the Democrats havent won an election with overall majority even once.

Thailand has a multiparty system, no party has ever won overall majority until TRT in 2005. Don't remember exact numbers for 2000.

Sorry, but weren't the TRT found to be illegally buying votes? "Won" doesn't equate to "bought". And if Thaksin had an absolute majority, why did he feel it necessary to bring all the same old corrupt snouts to his shiney new TRT trough? The only hat trick Thaksin does these days is to pass one around.

Sorry, but weren't the TRT found to be illegally buying votes? "Won" doesn't equate to "bought". And if Thaksin had an absolute majority, why did he feel it necessary to bring all the same old corrupt snouts to his shiney new TRT trough? The only hat trick Thaksin does these days is to pass one around.

I am not a fan of Thaksin, TRT or the red shirts. All I am saying is that one party was elected twice and would have won a third time, while the other party lost having equal or probably more access to all means.

Think he would be better served to worry about the supposed support for the convicted criminal ex PM who is jet setting round the world stirring up trouble - isn't about time a warrant was issued for his arrest and some effort put into bringing him back to justice, and don't forget the stupidity of the supporters for their recent voodoo and witchcraft merit making - what a joke this must appear to the rest of the world - or at least those who have any passing interest in Thailand which you can assume to be the ASEAN block for starters.

Thank you for reminding us this !

Nobody (abroad) give a dam_n about the red shirts as long as they don't block the airport. I don't remember him to be so concerned when the PAD was putting Thailand on the headlines a few month ago ...

What foreigners really care about are the Rohingya refugees, Giles and Harry Nicolaides. But I believe Abhi comments are directed to a local audience, so far the Thai government has only show disdain to foreign institutions.

Partly right.

Not many people in the world give a fart about the protests.

Of course those who were delayed by the airport occupations do.

Others?

You really think that non-victims are really concerned by something that happened??

Very long time ago already, it is in the past, ok?

There are a myriad of other things about Thailand that worry tour-operators, tourists, investors & all.

And those worries are not really getting less.

And most certainly are not helped by the deepening economic downturn.

The international image of Thailand is just the hookers, mail order brides and gogos etc etc.

No, within Asean it isn't.

All I am saying is that one party was elected twice and would have won a third time, while the other party lost having equal or probably more access to all means.

Ok, you said that. Now what?

PPP led the worst, most incompetent Thai government ever. Even Samak admitted that his cabinet was ugly.

Democrats are certainly a huge improvement in terms of image.

All I am saying is that one party was elected twice and would have won a third time, while the other party lost having equal or probably more access to all means.

Ok, you said that. Now what?

I said that because someone mentioned Thailand has a multi-party system - as if that has something to do with the price of fish.

If you care to read my previous post on this thread, I am not arguing that one party is better than the other. I leave that to the so-called experts.

Edited by JoeThePoster

Dems got into power legitimately by coersing former govt parties to switch sides.

Beyond that I don't see how TRT election wins, or price of fish are related to this thread. Five years ago Thaksin was a an ambitious, risging star. Now he is a convicted criminal whose backroom dealings have been exposed for everyone to see.

Shit like that happens all the time here, he's not the first one, Asean members are not striving for his return.

The best remark that sums up their attitude came from Bush, of all people. I can easily visualise his chuckle - "He got caught, heh?"

The international image of Thailand is just the hookers, mail order brides and gogos etc etc.

No, within Asean it isn't.

Whats Thailand's image like in Cambodia and Myanmar then?

Would have thought Abhisit would have more to worry about than image matters in borderline failed states

I don't get why red shirt supporters always bring up the elections won by TRT.

Vote buying= INVALID election results. How many times you need to be told? Get over Taksin, he wouldn't give a hoot about you. You think even if he did come back that he's gonna be foriegner/Thai friendly?

Taksins supporters held a special ceremony to rid him of bad luck. They included names of his enemies, including Abhisit and Prem. If you agree that Prem is his enemy, then 'you-know-who' must certainly be as well. Maybe another reason why Taksin didn't get his pardon???????????? Got an excuse for this one?

If you disagree, then what are you complaining about??

Taksin, TRT, Samak, PPP, Somchai...... who cares! Did they ever promote transparency? I never saw their govt spending plans aired on TV. If you need someone to hate, how about the guy that's got your tax dollars too, and he's been living it up in Dubai. If you're happy to pay for that, sure, go ahead.

I'm sure if he could ever come back to Thailand, he's gonna love foreigners!! Another war on drugs, but this time mostly foreigners and southerners will be the victims. Nothing to do with drugs I assure you.

Hun Sen has been steadily rising his voice and challenging Thailand's ability to hold the meeting. He probably thinks Thailand is a failed state itself.

Easy to see it like that if he had been dealing with Thaksin for five years, and that man has no spine whatsoever. Thailand needs to keep Hun Sen in place, it needs to project the right image, and clearly breaking away from Thaksin's era is absolutely necessary to show the likes of Hun Sen that there's new sheriff in town and he'd better watch his language.

Nobody gives a rats about the politics, or which group of meanies is most unkind.

Exactly. Well plus a bit of sun and sea or whatever the other "S"'s stand for apart form sex.

Abhisit is doing this for local consumption as Thai people do think (even if erroneously) things like the airport seige and now the red rallies undermine their national image, get embarrassed by them and are now pretty bored of it all too.

Probably should also mention that most (probably all) foreign governments have other things to think about than what human rights abuse of the day is going on in Thailand. They may go through the motions of making some "concerned statement" but basically are more worried about their own people turfing them out for idiotic incompetence, supporting an imploding free market system, or maybe just worrying about their own personal wealth being devalued.

Good fun reading the invective on here though

I don't get why red shirt supporters always bring up the elections won by TRT.

Vote buying= INVALID election results. How many times you need to be told?

The TRT Government existed. It was appointed by the head of state.

Deputies who bought votes were red carded, but you cannot challenge the appointment of the Government. That appointment was legitimate. The existence of that government has not been voided.

This is why people keep saying it.

How many times do you have to ask? A trillion?

Edited by Journalist