Prime Minister Worries About Thailand Image

Mai Krap

Dems got into power legitimately by coersing former govt parties to switch sides.

Beyond that I don't see how TRT election wins, or price of fish are related to this thread. Five years ago Thaksin was a an ambitious, risging star. Now he is a convicted criminal whose backroom dealings have been exposed for everyone to see.

Shit like that happens all the time here, he's not the first one, Asean members are not striving for his return.

The best remark that sums up their attitude came from Bush, of all people. I can easily visualise his chuckle - "He got caught, heh?"

No one here is calling for Thaksin to return. You should seek medical help for your paranoia.

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To make the changes needed even to return Thailand to an even footing with the rest of the developed world would take 20 years of relentless hard work. Can't see it ever happening and Thailand will continue to lag further and further behind and rely more and more on useless asian ego building to support the mass illusion that Thailand leads the world.

At what. Pineapples, small female weightlifting, military coups ????????????????

Will the last one out please shut the door and turn out the lights.

Edited by AussieFarang

I don't get why red shirt supporters always bring up the elections won by TRT.

Vote buying= INVALID election results. How many times you need to be told?

The TRT Government existed. It was appointed by the head of state.

Deputies who bought votes were red carded, but you cannot challenge the appointment of the Government. That appointment was legitimate. The existence of that government has not been voided.

This is why people keep saying it.

How many times do you have to ask? A trillion?

The same is true of the current government and prime minister.

So, if the head of state says Abhisit is good for PM, does that mean that everyone who disagrees is guilty of lese majeste?

Nobody (abroad) give a dam_n about the red shirts as long as they don't block the airport. I don't remember him to be so concerned when the PAD was putting Thailand on the headlines a few month ago ...

What foreigners really care about are the Rohingya refugees, Giles and Harry Nicolaides. But I believe Abhi comments are directed to a local audience, so far the Thai government has only show disdain to foreign institutions.

Rohingya caused some attention! Giles and Harry Nicolaides aren't interesting for anyone. As well the red shirts as long as they don't take the airport.

It would cause more interest than Giles, Harry and the red shirts, if they find a pink turtle on the beach.

If the reds are peaceful....no newspaper is telling anything....if they burn cars and fight they get bad news coverage.....

So it doesn't look good for them unless they get a different idea.

Vote buying= INVALID election results. How many times you need to be told?

The TRT Government existed. It was appointed by the head of state.

Deputies who bought votes were red carded, but you cannot challenge the appointment of the Government. That appointment was legitimate. The existence of that government has not been voided.

This is why people keep saying it.

How many times do you have to ask? A trillion?

***flame removed***

Recall the last TRT Government: illegal election, vote buying, they could not get the parliament filled like necessary by the constitution, the time of the caretaker government was expired. The last TRT Government was complete outside of the 1997 constitution.

No one here is calling for Thaksin to return. You should seek medical help for your paranoia.

And Abhisit is not worrying about people here destroying Thailand's image. Thousands of red shirts in Hua Hin is a different matter.

I don't think the red shirts can get within a kilometre of the venue in Hua Hin.

Nobody (abroad) give a dam_n about the red shirts as long as they don't block the airport. I don't remember him to be so concerned when the PAD was putting Thailand on the headlines a few month ago ...

What foreigners really care about are the Rohingya refugees, Giles and Harry Nicolaides. But I believe Abhi comments are directed to a local audience, so far the Thai government has only show disdain to foreign institutions.

Rohingya caused some attention! Giles and Harry Nicolaides aren't interesting for anyone. As well the red shirts as long as they don't take the airport.

It would cause more interest than Giles, Harry and the red shirts, if they find a pink turtle on the beach.

If the reds are peaceful....no newspaper is telling anything....if they burn cars and fight they get bad news coverage.....

So it doesn't look good for them unless they get a different idea.

That they have farmers demonstrating against the government even in th ered heartland of Chiang Mai who want nothing to do with the red shirts or their "politcal game" is probably also troubling for them although maybe should soothe Abhisit's worries a little.

I would guess that Abhisist is making sure the ducks are lined up if there is trouble. With waning support for street demos one little bit of trouble and government could probably get acceptance if not backing from most to clear the streets. This is especially true anytime around the ASEAN demo. Thais across the politcalspectrum did not enjoy the limelight of the airport siege. Anything getting similar coverage during an international meet is going to be similarly disliked acrossthe politcal spectrum. As long as the Dems donot bring in the border police which telegraphs a violent crackdown they are going tobe able to deal with the reds if they cause problems. Most likely the reds will know this and hence stay quiet and calm hence avoiding trouble. However, as you point out this will no get attention and over time willlead to loss of morale and declining numbers.

Perhaps you should consult your diary and a calendar. The PM wasn't PM 'a few months ago'.

The reds will say and do just about anything to not make this about their own behaviour!

Recall the last TRT Government: illegal election, vote buying, they could not get the parliament filled like necessary by the constitution, the time of the caretaker government was expired. The last TRT Government was complete outside of the 1997 constitution.

You must have parroted five hundred times that the TRT and PPP Governments were illegitimate and that every single person who voted for them was bribed

Fact it: the governments both existed - they were both legally appointed by the King. They were not fictitious.

They were found guilty of cheating, so went phut.

Now. you can accuse me of having Alzheimers, Jdinasia can say i'm wearing blinkers. But people in general feel a sense of unease about what has happened. The haters of the Great Serpent haven't chipped away at that - over what, 250,000 posts ? (at a conservative estimate). In fact they say, 'we're not trying to persuade'.

In spite of having the Government that the western markets and media has prayed for for 10 years - Abhisit Vejajiva's. That media is still not happy. It feels a sense of unease too.

You can shrug and say 'Thats their problem. They must have Alzheimers'

That mentality means you'll all still be yapping on inanely for the next ten years with no resolution. As Plus has said more than once 'there is no other side of the argument to hear'.

The international image of Thailand is just the hookers, mail order brides and gogos etc etc.

No, within Asean it isn't.

Whats Thailand's image like in Cambodia and Myanmar then?

Would have thought Abhisit would have more to worry about than image matters in borderline failed states

WOW .. and now you push forward 2 countries as ASEAN Do you think there might be other countries in ASEAN?

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/13...-thailand-image PM worries about Thailand image By: BangkokPost.com Published: 20/02/2009 at 10:07 AM Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva on Friday expressed concerns about Thailand's image as the red-shirt supporters plan to hold rallies during the 14th Asean Summit. He, however, said he is confident that the summit will serve as an opportunity for Thailand to restore confidence as it is serving as the host of the summit. The premier said he is not worried that the planned rallies of the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) will make the Asean leaders to skip the summit.

A bit late to start worrying about Thailands Image Now (PAD) and the airport closure. I am afraid Thailand took a battering on the International playing field over that fiasco. Tourists wont forget that anytime soon.

The Red Shirt plans to hold rallies. Please Mr Abhisit don't get your Knickers in a twist about Plans to hold rallies.

Sit back and have A nice Thai Cocktail Relax and think, Maybe help the Hotels in Tourist areas would be a start.

Or bring down the Value of the Baht.

Now I am loosing it so time to go

I don't think you loosing anything :o

occasionally interesting intellectual debate...

...that is, occasionally interesting, occasionally intellectual and occasionally a debate... more often just dull-as-dog-shit mud-slinging and name calling

I have to agree, so, to those posters involved, please drop the mudslinging, name calling and back and forth he said no he said stuff.

People want to have an occasionally interesting debate, all at the same time, thanks.

Its not red shirts who ruined the image of Thailand, its PAD (then supported by Abhisit) who did the job.

And you know that how?

Samak and Somchai were clowns in their own right and an embarassement to the country, as well as their choices of Foreign ministers. No one cried for them when they were busted.

Also PAD is undeniably assossiated with institutions that signify country's stability.

When Dems finally prevailed it looked like Thailand was finally past the madness but reds now try to bring all back.

:o:D

Lets keep some sense of reality. Nobody in the world give a sh"""te about Darfour, Afghanistan, Zimbabwe, so why they would give a sh"""te about Thailand. Be it red or yellow shirt, Thaksin, government, closure of airports( maybe only a little bit of annoyance).

For the world Thailand is a cheap place to go Holiday with nice beaches, good food and nice temples and people.

The rest is self-delusion

You must have parroted five hundred times that the TRT and PPP Governments were illegitimate and that every single person who voted for them was bribed

Fact it: the governments both existed - they were both legally appointed by the King. They were not fictitious.

True, but what if the Consitution Court didn't buckle in and delivered just verdict back in 2001? Thaksin would have been banned and who knows how Thai political landscape would have changed after that.

Fact is Thaksin held a position he wasn't fit for. Yeah, legally it was ok, but only because he managed to subvert the law.

"Five years ago, Thailand had a thriving and developing democracy with freedom of expression, a relatively free press and an active civil society, where social movements campaigned to protect the interests of the poor"

Priceless.

There's an old thread from five years ago, recently resurrected - "Thailand's human rights index plummet" or some such.

Never mind that the "patriot" himself fled to the UK without saying good-bye to his comrades who are left with another LM suit.

He should concentrate on capping salaries of top City executives there, if he cares about income gap so much.

There are true patriots who support the Red's cause. Guardian

But unfortunately for the reds, there are even more Thaksinistas, revenge seekers, witch doctors and general bully boys aligned with them.

And the Yellow Bellies don't have the same ilk aligned with them? They are the scum that is keeping Thailand in the dark ages. Ungpakorn is exposing their ugliness.

Edited by mbkudu

Vote buying= INVALID election results. How many times you need to be told? Get over Taksin, he wouldn't give a hoot about you. You think even if he did come back that he's gonna be foriegner/Thai friendly?

Taksins supporters held a special ceremony to rid him of bad luck. They included names of his enemies, including Abhisit and Prem. If you agree that Prem is his enemy, then 'you-know-who' must certainly be as well. Maybe another reason why Taksin didn't get his pardon???????????? Got an excuse for this one?

If you disagree, then what are you complaining about??

Taksin, TRT, Samak, PPP, Somchai...... who cares! Did they ever promote transparency? I never saw their govt spending plans aired on TV. If you need someone to hate, how about the guy that's got your tax dollars too, and he's been living it up in Dubai. If you're happy to pay for that, sure, go ahead.

I'm sure if he could ever come back to Thailand, he's gonna love foreigners!! Another war on drugs, but this time mostly foreigners and southerners will be the victims. Nothing to do with drugs I assure you.

Refering to the man is not allowed. You want to go to jail for LM or what. Please don't pull this stun again.

Perhaps you should consult your diary and a calendar. The PM wasn't PM 'a few months ago'.

The reds will say and do just about anything to not make this about their own behaviour!

Very interesting remark. It's true that before he was appointed PM, Abhi never expressed any opinion about what was going on in Thailand.

In a democracy, people like to ear what their future leader thinks and what he intends to do about major events that affect their country. But here it’s different, Abhi is not a democratically elected leader, he’s just a civil servant appointed by …that’s the problem, it’s not so clear who chose our PM, but it was definitively not the people of Thailand, that’s for sure.

Sorry Pierrot ... but again you are wrong. Abhisit was elected by parliament the same was Samak and Somchai were .. in fact the same was your fearless leader Thaksin was!

Abhi is not the people choice, MP were instructed to vote for him. Abhi never tried to reach to the people because he knows he doesn’t have to answer to them. Sorry, but I can’t call that democracy.

Sorry Pierrot ... but again you are wrong. Abhisit was elected by parliament the same was Samak and Somchai were .. in fact the same was your fearless leader Thaksin was!

Abhi is not the people choice, MP were instructed to vote for him. Abhi never tried to reach to the people because he knows he doesn’t have to answer to them. Sorry, but I can’t call that democracy.

Again ...

He was elected the same way that all the other 'non-appointed' PM's were elected. (appointed PM's are not counted here ... elected ones are :o

I invite you to go back and look at the election results. Since NO party gained a clear majority a coalition government had to be formed. You may be surprised when you see which party actually got the most votes from the people ... but that would require actually LOOKING at the info.