I Love Songkran

Hobgoblin

In contrast to all the threads initiated by grumpy old men who feel the need to complain about every little thing in Thailand, I'm starting a thread for people who like Songkran.

It's great fun, it's an opportunity to mingle and get to know some of the locals, most of whom are incredibly nice people who put income disparity aside to offer you a drink out of their whisky-and-soda-filled buckets. To goof off and put your serious side away for a day.

Sure, water-throwing is a bit unorthodox for western cultures, there are certain things that we do that are strange to them.

And for the record, I do not approve of the huge PVC-pipe guns that spray ice-water into the faces of passing motorists... it's mostly a Pattaya thing. I spend the 19th of April on the "dark side" where I live, and there are hardly any of those to be seen. For the real Songkran on the 13th last year, I went up with some friends to Roi Et, and it was fabulous, civilized and fun!

Let's hear from more people here who *like* this unique holiday...

Edited by Hobgoblin

In contrast to all the threads initiated by grumpy old men who feel the need to complain about every little thing in Thailand, I'm starting a thread for people who like Songkran.

It's great fun, it's an opportunity to mingle and get to know some of the locals, most of whom are incredibly nice people who put income disparity aside to offer you a drink out of their whisky-and-soda-filled buckets. To goof off and put your serious side away for a day.

Sure, water-throwing is a bit unorthodox for western cultures, there are certain things that we do that are strange to them.

And for the record, I do not approve of the huge PVC-pipe guns that spray ice-water into the faces of passing motorists... it's mostly a Pattaya thing. I spend the 19th of April on the "dark side" where I live, and there are hardly any of those to be seen. For the real Songkran on the 13th last year, I went up with some friends to Roi Et, and it was fabulous, civilized and fun!

agree,was in a village near chaiyaphum,had great fun in the back of a pickup truck with the locals drinking thai whisky and chang getting soaking wet.we all met up at a local shop and the whole village dancing its way to the local temple.a day i will never forget.yes you can forget pattaya,the worst offenders there are the ugly farang tourists with their silly plastic guns ugh!

i think you are talking a lot of rubbish.

not liking Songkhran has nothing to do with grumpy old men, or people who moan about everything.

I know PLENTY of YOUNG people, Thai as well as Farang who do NOT like what is SONGKHRAN nowadays. I am not GRUMPY nor OLD myself, In fact I like any kind of SANOOOK a lot. but not anarchy and violence, mixed with destroying other peoples property.

not liking Songkhran has nothing to do with grumpy old men, or people who moan about everything.

I know PLENTY of YOUNG people, Thai as well as Farang who do NOT like what is SONGKHRAN nowadays. I am not GRUMPY nor OLD myself, In fact I like any kind of SANOOOK a lot. but not anarchy and violence, mixed with destroying other peoples property.

You SO missed the point of this post.

Songkran in Pattaya IS RUBBISH!!! Its an excuse for foreigners to act like stupid idiots! This is nothing to do with Thai celebrations and if as you say you have actually ever ventured outside of Pattaya, you would understand why I say this!!

The spraying of water anywhere in Thailand normally lasts a few hours, not a week, and the water throwing is done with fun in mind.

Unique holiday you say?? Don't talk such utter rubbish!

I knew this would happen.

I start a thread to bring some POSITIVITY to the board, in contrast to the constant bickering, fighting and complaining. Not four replies in, the negative-nellies chime in and try to hijack it into an exchange of flames. I voiced an opinion. You have the right to disagree, but not imply that *your* opinion is fact by calling mine "utter rubbish".

Am I so out of line as to suggest that there is actually something in Thailand that I like? Did I miss out on something? Is this board solely for the voicing and exercising of negativity and grievances?

Unique Holiday? Yes:

u⋅nique
  /yuˈnik/
–adjective
1. 	existing as the only one or as the sole example; single; solitary in type or characteristics: a unique copy of an ancient manuscript.
2. 	having no like or equal; unparalleled; incomparable: Bach was unique in his handling of counterpoint.
3. 	limited in occurrence to a given class, situation, or area: a species unique to Australia.
4. 	limited to a single outcome or result; without alternative possibilities: Certain types of problems have unique solutions.
5. 	not typical; unusual: She has a very unique smile.

Sorry, are the English, Argentine or Nigerian Songkran festivals better for some reason?

Definitely a lot of rubbish in the OP's post. He doesn't actually spend Songkran in Pattaya but hides on the Dark Side away from the mayhem and then tell us how much he loves Songkran.

He must believe that young people enjoy dirty water being pumped at high pressure into the face.

Definitely a lot of rubbish in the OP's post. He doesn't actually spend Songkran in Pattaya but hides on the Dark Side away from the mayhem and then tell us how much he loves Songkran.

He must believe that young people enjoy dirty water being pumped at high pressure into the face.

Hearing the word "rubbish" instead of 'nonsense' or 'spazzatura' explains a lot.

Yes, the reason I "hide" on the Dark Side is to avoid what's become of this holiday at the hands of your (and my) countrymen acting like complete c*nts. Songkran as it is outside of "Beer Alley" is a truly fun day, and getting soaking wet during the hottest time of year is great.

I'm actually happy people like you barricade yourselves away for the entire day - it lets the rest of us have some enjoyment.

Edited by Hobgoblin

l love songran but l like it on one day not for two weeks before, last year a russian lady sat next to me on a baht bus she was in her best clothes going out, just passed bamoo bar jontiem she looked like a drowned rat, poor lady did not a clue what had happened, drunk farang again and this 10 days before songran and this happens all over pattaya, and for the record l will be useing by boys pipe with ice cold water {not at people driving) on the one day it is allowed not before and not after six please note, and l will only start drinking after six when it has finished. :o .

as men get older most seem to get very set in their ways and have views that go to an extreme side one way or the other,i think its a natural phenomenon.

I know a lot of people that hate songkran and they want to hide away,but like hobgoblin i enjoy it and find it most enjoyable away from the cities and best in the rural areas.

Fair enough , you love Songkran, but, you haven't mentioned the part you like most.

1. Is it the Drunken Farang filling their water Pistols with their Urine they are spraying evrywhere???

2. Is it the Pick-ups backing up to the open sewage drain near Siam Bayshore filling up their Drums & putting heaps of Powder on top of it??

3. Is it the Jerk Locals & Farang that use the Large water pipes that cause serious Vehicle Crashes that wiped out several Hundred lives the last couple of years throughout Thailand (not just Patts)

4. Is it watching the local businesses that have to close , so their stock ( particularly clothing & perishables ) that have been DESTROYED in the past & cost their staff several days pay???

5. Is it going to the Morgue to Identify the children & family that were killed in the Traffic Crash the Water caused.???

Or are you living in a Blinkered Existance in your own li'l world???

The above are FACTS , the true celebration has been absolutely corrupted by Thugs & Idiots in the more populous areas . More's the pity!!!!!!!!!

:o

Hearing the word "rubbish" instead of 'nonsense' or 'spazzatura' explains a lot.

Yes, the reason I "hide" on the Dark Side is to avoid what's become of this holiday at the hands of your (and my) countrymen acting like complete c*nts. Songkran as it is outside of "Beer Alley" is a truly fun day, and getting soaking wet during the hottest time of year is great.

I'm actually happy people like you barricade yourselves away for the entire day - it lets the rest of us have some enjoyment.

You just cannot give the garbage a break can you?

How would you have a clue where I'm from just because I repeated a word that someone else used?...and now you're trying to reply by insulting countrymen from my country when you don't have a clue which country that is. I normally use "bs".

It's not an "entire day", it's a week, but hiding on the Dark Side you wouldn't know that.

Most of the people "acting like complete c*nts" during Songkran are not my countrymen or countrymen from anywhere else. They are Thais taking out their frustrations on foreigners. That's the reason why Songkran gets so nasty here....lots of foreigners and lots of Thais who don't like them.

...of course you wouldn't have a clue because you're hiding "for the entire day" on the dark side. From there you're not even qualiifed to comment on Pattaya's Songkran.

Edited by tropo

as men get older most seem to get very set in their ways and have views that go to an extreme side one way or the other,i think its a natural phenomenon.

I know a lot of people that hate songkran and they want to hide away,but like hobgoblin i enjoy it and find it most enjoyable away from the cities and best in the rural areas.

Absolute nonsense! If I was 20 years old and you pumped water at high pressure into my face I would not be as calm as I am now. It's assault and would be considered as such whether I'm 20, 30 or 80 years old.

...of course you wouldn't have a clue because you're hiding "for the entire day" on the dark side. From there you're not even qualiifed to comment on Pattaya's Songkran.

Ahh, so only people living west of Sukhumvit are allowed to comment on Pattaya affairs. Thank you so much for clearing that up for us "Dark Side" hillbillies. I sincerely hope you get cancer.

Ahh, so only people living west of Sukhumvit are allowed to comment on Pattaya affairs. Thank you so much for clearing that up for us "Dark Side" hillbillies. I sincerely hope you get cancer.

This thread is just a fight between you; Hobgoblin, and Tropo. Why don't you just meet up on some wasteland off Pattaya 3rd Road and fight it out. Tropo is dead tough, because he is a body builder, but you might catch him off-balance and lock-him and make him submit, when he shows off his unarmed combat in front of his Flip girlfriend. LOL :D:D:o

Yet another jai dee farang. You start out saying you want to say something positive. And then that

I don't find it unusual for people to enjoy songkran. There are always a few things to like about a party. I also know a few bully-boys who enjoy beating people up, and I am talking about their victims being complete strangers who don't know it's coming. It all goes with a big drinking party and everyone enjoying themselves in their own unique way. I know a guy who enjoys killing things just for the fun of it. He owns all sorts of guns and weapons. So, I can see that some people would enjoy Songkran. :o

To goof off and put your serious side away for a day.

Last time I was in Pattaya at Songkran time was 2 years ago.

What an improvement on previous years. I could walk around early April without getting assaulted with high pressure jets of water. It seemed that most people were saving it for the big day.

When the big day arrived I wasn't bored and p*ssed off with the whole thing and had a really good time. The next day it was over.

When it doesn't drag on for weeks, it's great acting like a kid again.

Songkran has become a fiasco that makes Thailand look barbaric. You can't say I love songkran except (drunks, PVC pipes, road accidents) because those are very much apart of modern Song Kran. The holiday in my opinion is a national disgrace, unless you think the Thai's like having sewage water sprayed in their mouths from people in pickup trucks, and lopping off a chunk of their population in the name of sanook.

I sincerely cannot think of a single positive thing to say about it in its modern incarnation.

Ahh, so only people living west of Sukhumvit are allowed to comment on Pattaya affairs. Thank you so much for clearing that up for us "Dark Side" hillbillies I sincerely hope you get cancer.

It should be pretty obvious that the complaints about Songkran are centered around what goes on in Pattaya proper, not some remote village on the outskirts of town.

If you're going to wish cancer upon me, I beg of you...no slow progressive types please.....make it quick.

Edited by tropo

Every person (ferang) I know in thailand over the past 15 years hates this festival of death and avacate the country or lock down. Ever though that your not quite right -

This thread is just a fight between you; Hobgoblin, and Tropo. Why don't you just meet up on some wasteland off Pattaya 3rd Road and fight it out. Tropo is dead tough, because he is a body builder, but you might catch him off-balance and lock-him and make him submit, when he shows off his unarmed combat in front of his Flip girlfriend . LOL :D:D:o

Mr Barrett, all jokes aside, please refrain from using "Flip" when referring to Filipinos. It's derogatory and offensive to me and my girlfriend. It's about the equivalent of using the "N" word to describe African Americans.

Thanking you in advance for your cooperation.

Edited by tropo

Last year was my first "Pattaya" Songkran, and on the whole I enjoyed it. It was only ever the nit-wits, (for the best part of a week leading up to the big day), that got me EVERY FKN TIME I took a songtaew through the Arab quarter, that had me itching to jump off the songtaew and bitch slap every one of them.

They've got nothing up top... there's just a void. :o