Thailand Hopes New Cocktail Can Lure Back Tourists

oevna

Thailand hopes new cocktail can lure back tourists

BANGKOK – Cuba's got the Mojito. There's the Singapore Sling and the Manhattan. Thailand hopes a newly created drink called "Siam Sunrays" will enter the world's cocktail lexicon and help draw tourists back to the country.

The Tourism Authority of Thailand unveiled the drink Thursday, calling it "Thailand in a glass — the new punch in Thai tourism."

The cocktail consists of a shot of vodka, coconut liqueur, a dash of chili pepper and sugar, lime juice, a few slivers of lemongrass and ginger — shaken not stirred, then strained into a glass — with ice and soda water.

It's the latest strategy to revive Thailand's key tourism industry, which was battered by political protests last year that culminated in a weeklong shutdown of Bangkok's two main airports. The airport seizure stranded more than 300,000 travelers at the start of the peak holiday season, dealing a devastating blow to Thailand's tourist-friendly image.

"Successful signature drinks are one way to fast-track holiday destinations onto the world tourism map," the tourism authority said in a joint statement with the Thai Hotels Association.

Siam Sunrays was the winner of a competition sponsored by the two agencies to create a national cocktail.

"Thailand's new signature drink is based on very Thai ingredients," the statement said, adding that the drink was now available at hotels and resorts across the country.

Article here.

Do you think it will catch on? Somehow I think it will take more than this to repair the damage that has been done to the Thai tourism sector in the last few months.

As for the cocktail itself, I think the name isn't that great, but I'll reserve my judgment until I taste one. Anyone seen this served in any of the bars in Thailand? (I'm not in Thailand at the moment, or I'd report on it myself -- although I suppose I could try to mix one up at home!)

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The TAT comes out with a new cocktail and the foreign media calls it 'can lure back tourists' and 'devastating blow' etc...

A freind of mine was actually at this launching and can swear the TAT didn't say a single thing in regards to luring back tourists etc... They are just promoting a fookin drink

The TAT comes out with a new cocktail and the foreign media calls it 'can lure back tourists' and 'devastating blow' etc...

A freind of mine was actually at this launching and can swear the TAT didn't say a single thing in regards to luring back tourists etc... They are just promoting a fookin drink

Aaaaaand the answer to the important question... is it any good? :o

EDIT -- To be fair, the "devastating blow" comment was not a reference to the cocktail, but to the airport seizure that stranded over 300,000 tourists.

Edited by oevna

It can be made anywhere. Maybe they think lemongrass and chilies are only found in Thailand. It does sound tasty.

Don't know about where you come from, but I don't usually tell my bartender how to make my drinks (unless I know them personally, and ask them to make it as a favor).

I would have one in my hand right now (ok, maybe not *right* this moment, but when I get home from work) if I had all the ingredients on me, such as coconut liqueur, lemongrass, ginger, etc.

But wait, there is a pub across the street... And I *do* know most of the bartenders... :o

(Note: I'm not in Thailand at the moment, so if I just order a "Siam Sunrays" I'm going to get some funny looks.)

BANGKOK – Cuba's got the Mojito. There's the Singapore Sling and the Manhattan. Thailand hopes a newly created drink called "Siam Sunrays" will enter the world's cocktail lexicon and help draw tourists back to the country.

The Tourism Authority of Thailand unveiled the drink Thursday, calling it "Thailand in a glass — the new punch in Thai tourism."

The cocktail consists of a shot of vodka, coconut liqueur, a dash of chili pepper and sugar, lime juice, a few slivers of lemongrass and ginger — shaken not stirred, then strained into a glass — with ice and soda water.

It's the latest strategy to revive Thailand's key tourism industry, which was battered by political protests last year that culminated in a weeklong shutdown of Bangkok's two main airports. The airport seizure stranded more than 300,000 travelers at the start of the peak holiday season, dealing a devastating blow to Thailand's tourist-friendly image.

"Successful signature drinks are one way to fast-track holiday destinations onto the world tourism map," the tourism authority said in a joint statement with the Thai Hotels Association.

Siam Sunrays was the winner of a competition sponsored by the two agencies to create a national cocktail.

"Thailand's new signature drink is based on very Thai ingredients," the statement said, adding that the drink was now available at hotels and resorts across the country.

Article here.

Do you think it will catch on? Somehow I think it will take more than this to repair the damage that has been done to the Thai tourism sector in the last few months.

As for the cocktail itself, I think the name isn't that great, but I'll reserve my judgment until I taste one. Anyone seen this served in any of the bars in Thailand? (I'm not in Thailand at the moment, or I'd report on it myself -- although I suppose I could try to mix one up at home!)

And this is why that, Thailand will still be a 3rd world country for the next millenia.

When supposedly responsible and educated people believe that a bit of "vodka, coconut liqueur, a dash of chili pepper and sugar, lime juice, a few slivers of lemongrass and ginger — shaken not stirred" is gonna bring about a resurgence of tourists it doesn't give anyone any reason for hope. :o

Edited by john b good

I don't think it will catch on - all these ingredients are not usually found in bars. I mean - who keeps ginger and lemongrass? Lemongrass also tends to dry, difficult to keep it fresh.

Also there are just too many ingridients to be really popular.

And they should have tried it on Thai people first. How are they going to promote "signature" drink abroad if no one has ever tried it inside the country.

The proper next step should be not announcing the winner but conducting "clinical trials" to determine which drink really works.

sounds like a nice drink, im sure it will be the answer to all thailands problems, and that the 300,000 stranded tourists will come back next year to enjoy this wonderous cocktail!

Yes I agree - this will end the credit crunch as well well done TAT saved the Country from economic meltdown!!

sounds like a nice drink, im sure it will be the answer to all thailands problems, and that the 300,000 stranded tourists will come back next year to enjoy this wonderous cocktail!

Yes I agree - this will end the credit crunch as well well done TAT saved the Country from economic meltdown!!

How about Mekong whiskey and soda nam. That'll make you forget your troubles :o

Yes vodka is a very Thai ingredient. Another pathetic and futile campaign.

Let's analyze this a bit. The TAT want to promote the national cocktail while the government wants us to drink less. The disclaimer on the TAT's international ad campaign conceived by the director's brother-in-law's sister's fledgling advertising company states:

"Be aware that drinking alcoholic beverage can be harmful anytime, anywhere especially during the numerous rigged elections here in the Kingdom and long holidays that include Songkran Festival where having this drink is not allowed to be consumed and ingredients cannot be bought during business hours year round because the Thais drink too much and the men beat their wives and kids drink at school and could cause explosive diarrhea and anal leakage and in Thailand where drinking has reached the point that it is blamed for everything bad that isn't caused by hard drug abuse, the English are limited to six drinks every four hours for obvious reasons and the TAT does not take any responsibility for negative acts perpetrated by anyone consuming the national cocktail and cannot be held liable for injury and/or death of anyone acting out from effects of the national cocktail or be responsible for children conceived after consuming the concoction or underage sex performed by either party or multiple parties while under the influence of the national cocktail and may cause hair loss in males and the picture of the dying alcoholic on the beverage bottle does not represent the spirit of the Land of Smiles and the sin tax that makes up more than half of the purchase price of the national cocktail will only be spent on programs that prevent others from drinking the national cocktail and for the families of the government in power the day the tax is collected while during airport closures due to organized protests the maximum that the national cocktail can sell for will be no more than Bt626 at King Power outlets nationwide."

Enjoy!

Yes vodka is a very Thai ingredient. Another pathetic and futile campaign.

Just replace the vodka with Loa Khoa and there is Thailand in a glass

The proper next step should be not announcing the winner but conducting "clinical trials" to determine which drink really works.

I'll volunteer.

I think that I was experimented last night without my full acknowledgment.

Lucky you. What do you think? Tourism problem averted?

Try my "Steve McQueen sunrays"

2 shots of Lao Khao, 2 shots of SangSom,2 shots of coconut liqueur, a dash of chili pepper and sugar, lime juice, a few slivers of lemongrass and ginger.

5 of those and you'll want to "jump the fence" :o

More likely you'd be off like a bullit after not so magnificent 7 of them.