Is It Easier To Find Work If Married To Thai Wife?

No. I think some people are missing the point. I cannot see how being married will help you in getting a job here at all. If a company likes what you have to offer then they will get you a work permit. Just get a Non Imm Multi entry B visa before you enter Thailand.

It should help in that it reduces some requirements to get the work permit by half. For example the number of Thai employes needed is 2 instead of 4.

Also it would be a plus if you are already on an extension of stay based upon marriage because all the documentation needed to get an extension for work would not be required plus the minimum salary would not be a factor.

It helps because your employer won't have to spend as much for your visa runs. On the negative side, you lose a lot of flexibility because you get tied up to a single location. In case you lose your job you are forced to look for another in the same area.

It helps because your employer won't have to spend as much for your visa runs. On the negative side, you lose a lot of flexibility because you get tied up to a single location. In case you lose your job you are forced to look for another in the same area.

I don't quite follow what you are trying to say.

An extension based upon marriage does not require you to live in just one part of the country. You have the freedom to live whereever you want.

No need to do Visa Runs when you are on extension (for work or marriage) so that's not needed anyhow. Only need to do 90 day reporting.

If you work for an employer and you still have to do Visa Runs, something is wrong, because it means that you don't have a visa nor a workpermit.

No need to do Visa Runs when you are on extension (for work or marriage) so that's not needed anyhow. Only need to do 90 day reporting.

If you work for an employer and you still have to do Visa Runs, something is wrong, because it means that you don't have a visa nor a workpermit.

People working for newly formed companies can't get an extension of stay, because for that the company needs to show (tax) papers over the last 2 years. They normaly come to Thailand with a multiple non-B and get a work permit on that. So your statement is not correct.

Generally speaking, do you believe that it is easier for a foreign man to find a job in Thailand and to obtain a work permit if he is married to a Thai woman?

I dont think so.....you have to get a special education thats good for the country and a company that really needs your knowledge's......BTW....salaries here are not as we use to in western countries..

Good Luck!

It should help in that it reduces some requirements to get the work permit by half. For example the number of Thai employes needed is 2 instead of 4.

Also it would be a plus if you are already on an extension of stay based upon marriage because all the documentation needed to get an extension for work would not be required plus the minimum salary would not be a factor.

Thanks for that ubonjoe.

So, does that mean if I enter the country on a non-o and apply for a one year extension within Thailand based on marriage (am aware of 400,000k/40,000k rules etc…), an employer will not have to pay me the minimum salary? Are most employers actually aware of that?

What is the minimum salary for Europeans anyway if they enter Thailand on a non-o for the first time?

There is no salary requirement to enter the country.

In order to get an extension of stay based upon employment requires a minimum salary of 50,000 baht per month.

I don't know if some employers would know it or not. But most likely not unless they have hired somebody that is on an extension based upon marriage.

There is no salary requirement to enter the country.

In order to get an extension of stay based upon employment requires a minimum salary of 50,000 baht per month.

I don't know if some employers would know it or not. But most likely not unless they have hired somebody that is on an extension based upon marriage.

Yes, but if I enter Thailand with a multiple entry non-o which I got from the Thai embassy in London and I start THEN looking for jobs, how much would an employer have to pay me as a minimum? (Besides me having to leave the country every 90 days while I’m looking for jobs.)

If you enter on a non-o you would only need to look for work that met the requirements for you to get an extension based upon marriage as a minimum. Of course I think you want to get a much as you could. Once your started work you could then use your monthly tax payments to prove your income for the extension showing them your work permit to prove you were working legaly.

Doing it that way is best because if you get an extension based upon employment if you were to loose your job your extension would end also and you would have to leave the country or get an extension for 7 days. If you lost your job with an extension based upon marriage you would not have to worry about your extension until it was due renewal.

The labour rules don't mention a minimum required income to get a WP. It are the immigration rules that require you to have a minimum income to be awarded an extension of stay based on work. The immigration incoem requirement is based on natioanlity. A Burmese nation only needs 25,000 a month to get an extension of stay based on employment, while he needs 40,000 based on marriage to a Thai wife.

Hi guys:

Just hoping for a bit of feedback on here.

Generally speaking, do you believe that it is easier for a foreign man to find a job in Thailand and to obtain a work permit if he is married to a Thai woman?

Regards…

No. I think some people are missing the point. I cannot see how being married will help you in getting a job here at all. If a company likes what you have to offer then they will get you a work permit. Just get a Non Imm Multi entry B visa before you enter Thailand.

Yes, but if I enter Thailand with a multiple entry non-o which I got from the Thai embassy in London and I start THEN looking for jobs, how much would an employer have to pay me as a minimum? (Besides me having to leave the country every 90 days while I'm looking for jobs.)

What your employer pays you is between them and you, for example if you accept 10,000 as a salary then they would still pay tax on 40,000.

He will not need to need to get a B visa. He can do the same extact thing with a non-o based upon marriage as he can with a B visa.

I think if a company had a choice between 2 people with the same qualifications I think being married to a Thai would be to his advantage for the reasons I have already posted.

does a Google check of more than 50k baht / month count in any way as proof of income ?

was wondering....

have no WP, i do not work in or for Thailand /Thai company...

For an extension based on marriage it would if your embassy will accept it in order to issue an income letter.

On the negative side, you lose a lot of flexibility because you get tied up to a single location. In case you lose your job you are forced to look for another in the same area.

Complete nonsense, furthering the myth of the work permit restrictions. You are not restricted to one employer, and you may have multiple work locations (provinces).

What your employer pays you is between them and you, for example if you accept 10,000 as a salary then they would still pay tax on 40,000.

As a matter of fact, I believe that many companies do it that way. Smaller companies might not be able to afford “expensive” foreigners and therefore may opt to employ them that way…

It's true. Whatever your salary amount is - just pay tax on 40,000 and everything be fine.

As a matter of fact, I believe that many companies do it that way. Smaller companies might not be able to afford "expensive" foreigners and therefore may opt to employ them that way…

In your place I would look for a job in the Thai Emnbassy in London before leaving. It is not easy to find a job here that pays well unless, (as someone already said), your working experience and level of education is of any exceptional use to the country. Coming over (kind of adventure/holidays) and look for job possiblities while on holidays would be a better solution. Marriage??? there are very few advantages. Hope this help. All the best

As someone already wrote, what matters here is your professional skills. Marriage do help you but, they will take in consideration how long have you been married... anyway, the marital status will not help you find a job and without a local income or proof that you're paid by any entity from your country on a monthly basis "retirement" (documents must be verified and authenticated by the embassy of your country) the changes of getting a visa are very slim. Advantages of being married is only the fact that you don't need to leave the country every 90 days. Hope this help you make the right decision.

Best wishes