Villa Market In Phuket

thaigerd

Great to meet some TV members today there :D .

Very busy the last couple of days to set up all our counters in there but not finished yet.

Wellington, I'll get your walnut oil next couple of days, don't worry!

Just start to plan a great food tasting/testing in a very good hotel:

6-7 course menu with different kinds of wagyu beef with some perfect wines, followed by some french cheeses.

Will invite 3 members from Phuket as witnesses :o .

Gerd

I volunteer :D

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very busy the last couple of days to set up all our counters in there but not finished yet.

6-7 course menu with different kinds of wagyu beef with some perfect wines, followed by some french cheeses.

Gerd

I volunteer :D

You are booked.

Gerd

went there today also, impressed by the selection. bought all the dr pepper cans from the shelf (hope there is more somewhere). also i was a bit disappointed to see strongbow was the only cider on the shelves, maybe more selection coming later?

what do you do there gerd?

went there today also, impressed by the selection. bought all the dr pepper cans from the shelf (hope there is more somewhere). also i was a bit disappointed to see strongbow was the only cider on the shelves, maybe more selection coming later?

I am working for a company which has 3 counters there: Imported beef and seafood, imported cheeses.

Gerd

Gerd

Very funny you should mention walnut oil because that is the one thing out of about 10 that I looked for and couldnt find (didnt quite see the need for 15 different olive oils).

I havent read the entire thread so I apologize if I am simply repeating another post. The Villa Market really is exceptional (far superior in my view to the Villa in Suk 31 BKK). The only criticism I can really offer is that it closes at 10pm unlike in BKK which remains open later. I cannot really offer an opinion about their pricing because I am perfectly prepared to pay a premium for the service they offer which is a virtual infinite variety of foods.

Villa is large at least as large as in BKK and I suspect much bigger. Each shelf is stocked typically by 2 columns of a product as opposed to Lotus where there might be 12 columns of a product. They have clearly made their best efforts to supply all products that one could possibly want. My feeling is that to the extent that there is demand for a product that is missing they would like to know about it.

I guess I cant really recommend it when I dont know their pricing policy, but it has certainly exceeded my expectations. I will still buy some product from other places - like meat from Choice Foods but the majority of groceries will come from Villa. I would be interested if someone had an informed opinion about their wines (in terms of quality, selection and price.) If someone has made one already please point me in the right direction.

I am working for a company which has 3 counters there: Imported beef and seafood, imported cheeses.

Gerd

Gerd,

As you work there can you tell me to what extent they are open to suggestions of new product that they are missing. I do believe they have done an excellent job and would like to think that any suggestion was helpful rather than irritating. I can see how they might have decided exactly what they are stocking and why based on BKK. I can also see how they might have a goal to provide what is wanted and what is not available elsewhere (say oysters for instance). I have no intention to irritate or waste my time but I am very happy to make suggestions if they might be given due consideration. I suspect other Thaivisa members would feel the same - given that Villa has clearly added value to my life I would like to make suggestions on the basis that it was helpful for both of us. I would not like it to be seen as a complaint when they clearly made every effort and more.

BTW Gerd, can you in all honesty say that I should try your beef on the basis that it is at least as good as Choice Foods. By good I do not mean 'good value' but 'good quality'. If so I will take your word for it and give it a try. You might consider that question extremely arrogant, it is not, I simply have a very high regard for them so it would take a lot of convincing for me to move elsewhere, even though I imagine your product is very good. If you dont happen to know Choice Foods I will simply consider you don't know and not a valid excuse. You could also put forward a convincing argument that your product is 'different'.

This sounds really good, and as i am coming out on wednesday can someone tell me how to get there from Heroines monument - that's my nearest landmark

Turn right on to the bypass road & keep going straight until you are about 300m from the infamous Chalong Circle where you will see Home Pro Village on your right. Villa is part of the complex.

Gerd

Gerd,

As you work there can you tell me to what extent they are open to suggestions of new product that they are missing. I do believe they have done an excellent job and would like to think that any suggestion was helpful rather than irritating. I can see how they might have decided exactly what they are stocking and why based on BKK. I can also see how they might have a goal to provide what is wanted and what is not available elsewhere (say oysters for instance). I have no intention to irritate or waste my time but I am very happy to make suggestions if they might be given due consideration. I suspect other Thaivisa members would feel the same - given that Villa has clearly added value to my life I would like to make suggestions on the basis that it was helpful for both of us. I would not like it to be seen as a complaint when they clearly made every effort and more.

BTW Gerd, can you in all honesty say that I should try your beef on the basis that it is at least as good as Choice Foods. By good I do not mean 'good value' but 'good quality'. If so I will take your word for it and give it a try. You might consider that question extremely arrogant, it is not, I simply have a very high regard for them so it would take a lot of convincing for me to move elsewhere, even though I imagine your product is very good. If you dont happen to know Choice Foods I will simply consider you don't know and not a valid excuse. You could also put forward a convincing argument that your product is 'different'.

Abrak,

No, I do not "work" there only helping my company during the set up period and have an eye on things there.

I would say our meat is the same good quality like the ones from Choice Food. There are 3 big players on the island who supply high quality food products, Choice Food and we "play" in the same league and I think we respect each other.

The meat products we have on display are very high end products in quality and price.

Some people I've spoken to yesterday had a good idea: A suggestion box at every counter to find out what is still missing, what is wrong and where to improve.

I have spoken to many shop owners in VILLA and suggested following idea:

Let's have every month 1 day where all of us take 1 product and offer this with a 25% discount, all of them agreed.

Gerd

I purchased some english muffins out of the freezer yesterday.

The used by date is the 8th of April.

I expected as much anyway.

Hmmm ... I would comment ...

1. Why did you buy them if your so suspicious of 'sell by' dates ??

2. Maybe that was the fresh sell by date, and not the frozen sell by date.

Gerd ... care to respond ... :o

I purchased some english muffins out of the freezer yesterday.

The used by date is the 8th of April.

I expected as much anyway.

Hmmm ... I would comment ...

1. Why did you buy them if your so suspicious of 'sell by' dates ??

2. Maybe that was the fresh sell by date, and not the frozen sell by date.

Gerd ... care to respond ... :o

Did not realize until i got home and opened them up.

Once they thaw, they are stale and crumbly, not soft.

They still taste the same and the fact they are frozen might preserve them a few days longer.

Just disappointed really.

Also, i do understand they come from Australia and logistics take time.

At least the Australian weetbix are covered in plastic to keep the weavels out, that is cool.

Gerd

Gerd,

There were oysters in the Fish section

35bht each!

Was there yesterday.

Not Villa's fault, but the motorbike parking is out of the way.

Lots of things for sale, and a good selection of cheeses, wines and lots of other things. And if you want something special worth a visit. But if you're looking for something that is also for sale in another supermarket like Big C, Lotus or even 7/11, you'll pay 10-20% more for the same in Villa. Also frozen meals, same stuff for sale at Flintstones for considerably less.

>>bought all the dr pepper cans

I  was hoping there would be some left, but it appears that I'll have to wait for a reup.

>>I purchased some english muffins out of the freezer yesterday.

>>The used by date is the 8th of April.

>>I expected as much anyway.

With all your complaining earlier in the thread about out of date products, I can't believe that you didn't check the date as this appears to be your pet peeve and what you have posted about the most in this thread. Why didn't you check??

Edited by steelepulse

>>bought all the dr pepper cans

I  was hoping there would be some left, but it appears that I'll have to wait for a reup.

>>I purchased some english muffins out of the freezer yesterday.

>>The used by date is the 8th of April.

>>I expected as much anyway.

With all your complaining earlier in the thread about out of date products, I can't believe that you didn't check the date as this appears to be your pet peeve and what you have posted about the most in this thread. Why didn't you check??

It was busy in there, expats socializing in the tiny isles making hard to get to the freezer, so a worker there passed them over to me.

I did not even think to check, in too much in a frenzy for food.

It's no big deal, everybody knows the freshness is suspect with imported items.

It still does not change the fact that they are out of date,with the prices they charge you would expect the product to be at least fresh.

Oh thats right, this is Thailand, where customer satisfaction means nothing.

Edited by katasyd

Haven't been there yet, but, I'm hoping it doesn't go the way of Tesco-Lotus.

When Tesco-Lotus first opened, they also had a wide range of imported foods and articles.

Many of these items would diappear from the shelves within a day. Restocking got slower and slower until finally, they weren't restocked at all.

Did anyone notice if they have the Frozen Indian meals from Bangkok's best Indian restaurant, Rang Mahal? That is something I miss so much in Phuket. In BKK, you can get them at the marketplace frozen foods sections in major expat centres.

No trying to be contentious, but if I'm living "half-way" between Villa and Carrefour, would somebody please advise how the two compare (price and quality wise) for things that are typically "French" such as baguettes, camembert/brie cheeses, and pate (liver)...

I understand that the smaller Villa cannot compete with massive Carrefour's buying power, but curious to see if they were even close in the above-mentioned areas...I assume that Carrefour would be lower, but you never know..

TIA,

HB

No trying to be contentious, but if I'm living "half-way" between Villa and Carrefour, would somebody please advise how the two compare (price and quality wise) for things that are typically "French" such as baguettes, camembert/brie cheeses, and pate (liver)...

I have been shopping at Carrefour these past 12 months and I compared prices when I was in Villa yesterday. Carrefour is slightly cheaper for the items I buy. Villa's bread department is a joke, especially compared with the magnificent bread Carrefour offer. I would say that Villa have a better variety of cheeses, but I think Carrefour's own brand of Camembert/Brie offer great value for money. Liver pate, I don't like, so can't answer that one.

All-in-all Villa offers a lot of things is hard/impossible to find, all under one roof. Bit more expensive for standard items, how can you price/compare impossible to find items. I will be using Villa, and also Carrefour.

What do you think will happen to the Deli now that Villa has opened? I still go to Deli for some hard to get items, but haven't tried Villa yet. I thought the Deli would go out of business with the opening of Carrefour, but they still seem to hang on.

What do you think will happen to the Deli now that Villa has opened? I still go to Deli for some hard to get items, but haven't tried Villa yet. I thought the Deli would go out of business with the opening of Carrefour, but they still seem to hang on.

The Deli died with the introduction of the one way system, no chance of street parking, and the opening of Carrefour. I used to be a regular shopper there for many years, but stock levels were reduced, items not restocked. Not been there for about a year. Feel sorry for the guy...

The Deli died with the introduction of the one way system, no chance of street parking, and the opening of Carrefour. I used to be a regular shopper there for many years, but stock levels were reduced, items not restocked. Not been there for about a year. Feel sorry for the guy...

Yeah, it's kinda sad. Kinda like a ghost town in there now. That used to be the primo place in Phuket for farang food. But, their liquor prices are still good and they have those frozen meals from the local guy making them.

Yeah, it's kinda sad. Kinda like a ghost town in there now. That used to be the primo place in Phuket for farang food. But, their liquor prices are still good and they have those frozen meals from the local guy making them.

There deli counter (cheese & cooked meats) still is the cheapest on the island. Great value for money. It's really the car parking that puts me off. Last year I had a chat with the owner asking him about how he was doing, voiced my problem with the one way system & parking. He waved off my comments, but what else could he say ... really a pity as he has given a great service to Farangs over a decade.

Just spoke to the owner this morning and suggested to build a food counter like they have in all Foodland stores.

A cheap breakfast with toast, eggs, bacon or sausages, orange juice, coffee, jam and butter. I think it's around 50 Baht in Bangkok or Pattaya.

What do you think?

Gerd

Just spoke to the owner this morning and suggested to build a food counter like they have in all Foodland stores.

A cheap breakfast with toast, eggs, bacon or sausages, orange juice, coffee, jam and butter. I think it's around 50 Baht in Bangkok or Pattaya.

What do you think?

Owner ?? You mean Villa, I'd pay 50 baht anytime for a mini buffet breakfast. Would this be all day, or until a set time. Great idea.

What do you think?

Owner ?? You meanlla, I'd pay 50 baht anytime for a mini buffet breakfast. Would this be all day, or until a set time. Great idea.

Yup. Sandwitch shoppe is 99 baht for an egg mcmuffin, and when you add a latte to that you are at 200 baht.

What do you think?

Owner ?? You mean Villa, I'd pay 50 baht anytime for a mini buffet breakfast. Would this be all day, or until a set time. Great idea.

Yes, the owner from Villa. He is very open to all new ideas.

Foodland does this breakfast from 5am to 11pm I think.

Gerd

Gerd I understand your comments re quality, I just wondered whether you were importing different or identical product and to the extent it is different what it might be.

I did ask for a qualified opinion on the wine and spirits section. The only opinion I have got so far is that it does not match Promphan in terms of price or selection (mind you I noticed they had a greater selection of beers.) Would this be a fair comment?