Red Shirts In Pattaya

Lancelot

I'm not sure which is the correct forum, so I'll try the Pattaya one.

Anyway, yesterday at about 6 pm (Sunday Feb 22) I rode my bike from the "Dark Side", crossed Sukumvit at the first U-turn south of Soi Khao Noi and was suprised to see north bound traffic backed up south of the U turn. I eased north and turned left on to Pattaya Klang; traffic was still backed up, then I saw the reason why: Red Shirts were marching peacefully down the middle of the road towards the beach. They seemed to be well organized, directing traffic, smiling and not causing any problems, but...

They were a rough looking bunch. Thank goodnes there were no Yellow Shirts marching towards them.

I couldn't help but let my eyes drift around and notice the Thais observing the procession. There were no smiles and they actually looked aprehensive.

I casually observe Thai politics but take no sides. At the end of the day, the Thais will setle their problems - or they won't.

Is Thailand heading towards the brink?

Edited by Lancelot

The reds violently stopped the gay parade in Chiang Mai this weekend from even starting. A great force for freedom and democracy. Be afraid. They are a bunch of THUGS.

By now, I'm completely confused as to who represents the good guys or the bad guys :o

The reds violently stopped the gay parade in Chiang Mai this weekend from even starting. A great force for freedom and democracy. Be afraid. They are a bunch of THUGS.

By now, I'm completely confused as to who represents the good guys or the bad guys :o

I am not confused. They are both bad. But the reds are worse.

Maybe the reds were confused who side you lot was on with your rainbow flags.

It is possible. That rice whiskey rots the brain.

there is really only one way to solve this mess, at least for the short to medium term

call a new election.

clamping down won't work, we saw what happened when they tried that with the yellows.

That won't solve anything. The reds will win and the yellows won't accept it ... again.

I have heard from my wife they shall close all the Go Go Bars and Beer Bars and etc.

Lucky all of us with wifes and gf don't use their services.

Edited by M555

Maybe the reds were confused who side you lot was on with your rainbow flags.

As long as they don't block my passage, when I escape Songkran at the airport, I don't care if they are red, yellow or rainbow.

I have heard from my wife they shall close all the Go Go Bars and Beer Bars and etc.

Lucky all of us with wifes and gf don't use their services.

Great, and then we'll have the Sweaty Shirts (farang sex tourists) joining battle with the Red Shirts and Yellow Shirts. This might become quite colourful. :o

Edited by Guderian

there is really only one way to solve this mess, at least for the short to medium term

call a new election.

clamping down won't work, we saw what happened when they tried that with the yellows.

You are a STAR MEMBER ? and you want a NEW election when the only reasonable man IMO is current PM ? I am confused ???

Gie the guy a chance in IMO . as this is TIT. :o

bt

Monday 23rd February 2009

Red Shirt anti-government protests turn violent on Pattaya Beach.

Political Demonstrations are not common here in Pattaya, however on Sunday Afternoon the Pro-Thaksin Red Shirts were out in force as they attempted to spread their message to the people of Pattaya. Banners suggested the current Democrat-led government was illegal and Parliament must be dissolved immediately so new elections can be held. They also demanded that the Yellow-Shirt anti-Thaksin Demonstrators that caused widespread disruption in Bangkok should be held to account and arrested. A parade of around 5,000 red shirts marched along Pattaya Beach Road. The parade was peaceful until they reached Mike Shopping Mall where a small group of Yellow Shirt Supporters gathered to voice their anger towards the demonstration. There was potential for a major problem and with only a handful of Police and Police Volunteers on-hand to keep order, the situation began to deteriorate. Small scuffles broke out and items were thrown at the Yellow Shirts who barricaded themselves inside Mike Shopping Mall which sustained damage during the attack. During the chaos a Police Volunteer, Khun Wirort aged 43 sustained a head wound caused by broken glass. He made a Police report but could not confirm which group threw the offending item.

Local residents are now concerned that these demonstrations may escalate here in Pattaya at a time when the town is trying to recover following the demonstrations in Bangkok which effectively ruined the recent High Season Months. At a time when the town is trying to rebuild its tourism industry, this could be seen as a major blow to those efforts, especially if these demonstrations continue.