What Size House In Thailand Could You Build For £40k

how much could you build a house for in thailand?

What did yours cost and what do you have?

Do you have land already or will that be part of the 40k ? What type of house do you want and where ? Poorly Fitted out Thai style ( next to FA inside ) or to UK standard of fittings and workmanship ?

if you have already land some 2 million is enough for the 3 bedroom basic, detached, thai style house, including furniture.

There are brand new houses, even in bangkok suburbs, starting from 2m, but they are terraced houses without garden.

my 4 bedroom, smallish house, cost a few years ago 1m to build by the local 250baht/day builders. It took almost a year to be finished.

i put put in any where between bt 8k-12k/sqm construction cost for med-grade, bt 15k/sqm+ for high grade. so assuming your roughly Bt 2m should get you a decent 150-200 sqm house (maybe two stories). but this is construction cost only and not include land costs and interior fittings .. and dont forget to pay an architect as well.

if your Bt 2m is an all-in budget (land, design, construction, interior), then its going to be a pretty small house, maybe single level 100-150 sqm i would estimate.

i put put in any where between bt 8k-12k/sqm construction cost for med-grade, bt 15k/sqm+ for high grade. so assuming your roughly Bt 2m should get you a decent 150-200 sqm house (maybe two stories). but this is construction cost only and not include land costs and interior fittings .. and dont forget to pay an architect as well.

if your Bt 2m is an all-in budget (land, design, construction, interior), then its going to be a pretty small house, maybe single level 100-150 sqm i would estimate.

A farang architect I spoke to said it would be around 15-20k/sqm plus 10% for him to design & manage the project. You can buy standard design houses from building companies cheaper than that.

If you are in BKK, the land will be expensive...

I have the land already (100 sqw) and I'm budgeting about 4 million for the house (approx 200 sqm, 4 beds)

Edited by manjara

i put put in any where between bt 8k-12k/sqm construction cost for med-grade, bt 15k/sqm+ for high grade. so assuming your roughly Bt 2m should get you a decent 150-200 sqm house (maybe two stories). but this is construction cost only and not include land costs and interior fittings .. and dont forget to pay an architect as well. if your Bt 2m is an all-in budget (land, design, construction, interior), then its going to be a pretty small house, maybe single level 100-150 sqm i would estimate.

A farang architect I spoke to said it would be around 15-20k/sqm plus 10% for him to design & manage the project. You can buy standard design houses from building companies cheaper than that. If you are in BKK, the land will be expensive... I have the land already (100 sqw) and I'm budgeting about 4 million for the house (approx 200 sqm, 4 beds)

cool ... should be a nice comfortable house. i would put a mindset of 3m as the construction cost and leave 1m for your air/kitchen/sanitary/tv/built-ins/loose and what ever cost over-runs that, from my experience, am sure will occur. when you get the contractor quote, make sure you get the "not include" lists in detail and get estimates for that. this could be anything from electrical, to sanitary, to ceiling work, to finishing, . good luck.

Mine is almost finished and cost a similar amount but when the exchange rate was about 63baht. It's in Chiang Rai and is a 190sqm single storey house on 113sq wah of land (452sqm). It has 3 bedrooms with 2 large en-suite bathrooms and x1 extra toilet. The materials used are good quality finished to a good standard. The furniture & appliances cost about another 300k but are again good quality (Mogen, Nahm, Electrolux, Samsung, Sony)

My house is 135m2 on one floor with three bedrooms and two bathrooms.

Basic construction cost was 1.35 million, so 10K/m2.

Kitchen, appliances, 3 hot water heaters, 3 a/c units and security bars/screens were extra.

It's very pleasant and comfortable to live in.

Edited by johnnyk

location, location, location

building cost varies widely based on where you are, proximity to building supply shops, cost of local labour, etc.

in a remote part of an island like Ko Phangan you could easily pay 30,000b/m2 and close to a major city in Issan, maybe 10,000b/m2 or less.

Location is a major factor. Land values much higher in Bangkok than in a small village up north

I built my wife a house In a village location Chang Mai area.

Cost For Land 200,000 Aprox 500 Sq Mts 3 Bed Bungalow Kitchen & Shower room (Farang Toilet placed thai style 30cm from the wall)

Total cost Inc Land less than 600,000 That included Electricity-Water conection Thai style Kitchen. No kitchen units & No Air Con.

A basic house.

That was two years ago so less than 10,000 GBP Price of a second hand car in the UK

location, location, location

building cost varies widely based on where you are, proximity to building supply shops, cost of local labour, etc.

in a remote part of an island like Ko Phangan you could easily pay 30,000b/m2 and close to a major city in Issan, maybe 10,000b/m2 or less.

Agree with the above. I've got my land in Singburi on the banks of the Mia Nam Noi - haven't been up during the flooding season but am sure that contingencies will have to be made. Plan to mix Lana style teak wooden houses with concrete bali style - have 5 rai of land which cost me 800,000bt 8 years ago (connections, connections, connections).

Have watched a house being built by the Isaan/burmese gangs right outside my bedroom window of my house in Chonburi. Not a pretty sight and doesn't inspire confidence! They've been at it for a year now and the shell has been built - I now understand why Thais place so much on visual beauty (it covers up a huge raft of structural faults and slipshod workmanship). :o

I bought a house in Korat last year. It is 150 sqm, 2 story, 3 bedroom, 2 bath and is in a development that is gated and guarded with a clubhouse and pool. The cost was 1.9 million baht (land & house) and included a full western kitchen. I am extremely happy with the house.

post-25614-1235885251_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rdrokit

Don't listen to the "piece of string" brigade.

They got the string around their necks firstly by their wife (eager to ensure that after his demise she's left with a decent place to sell-remarry-boast) and then by contractors who enjoyed doing their turn of sheering.

More useful to you would be the net, vanilla cost of a livable house with western toilet and sinks and (concrete) bench in the kitchen. About 100sqm. Location is immaterial - the house would cost the same money to build anywhere in Thailand (except on the islands due to trasportation cost).

My farang neighbor, built it along with another house in family, the land was provided, labour was free - all family worked, some are seasoned 250B per day supervisors.

The cost (materials, doors, ceramics, windows (no glass)): 120,000 (hundredtwentythousandbahtonly).

Been in it many times, no aircon, but quite pleasant (tiled floors)

house1.jpg

house2.jpg

100m from there , this one, was on sale for 220K in June 2006, someone (a policeman) bought it, renovated and now it's 450K, land included, could be 300sqm including the garage (meant to be turned into a shop):

house4.jpg

That is exactly how long a piece of string is when you are not fleeced. This could be the benchmark.

Now, you can start adding for granite banch tops, aircons (this house is is not quite aircon-ready, wooden windows do not seal properly), western kitchen appliances, design furniture...all the things Isaaan has never seen nor needed before.

Edited by think_too_mut

About 100sqm. Location is immaterial - the house would cost the same money to build anywhere in Thailand (except on the islands due to trasportation cost).

My farang neighbor, built it along with another house in family, the land was provided, labour was free - all family worked, some are seasoned 250B per day supervisors.

The cost (materials, doors, ceramics, windows (no glass)): 120,000 (hundredtwentythousandbahtonly).

was on sale for 220K in June 2006, someone (a policeman) bought it, renovated and now it's 450K, land included, could be 300sqm including the garage (meant to be turned into a shop)

prices in towns are higher than in the villages, same with the labour. Half of the value of the house is labour, so to 120k for materials add another 120k for labour. Land is not free, in bangkok suburbs starts from 10k/2 wa, but can easily be 30k closer to the major road.

to find a 250 baht/day worker in bangkok is difficult and doing a simple house can take a year, because workers will be disappearing for the better payed jobs and coming back, when unemployed.

as to the second house - it's possible to find a bargain (fast sale, for half of the house value, because the bank is going to repossess it), usually it will be a delapidated or infested and you will have to put as much money in renovation as you payed for it.

About 100sqm. Location is immaterial - the house would cost the same money to build anywhere in Thailand (except on the islands due to trasportation cost).

was on sale for 220K in June 2006, someone (a policeman) bought it, renovated and now it's 450K, land included, could be 300sqm including the garage (meant to be turned into a shop)

prices in towns are higher than in the villages, same with the labour. Half of the value of the house is labour, so to 120k for materials add another 120k for labour. Land is not free, in bangkok suburbs starts from 10k/2 wa, but can easily be 30k closer to the major road.

to find a 250 baht/day worker in bangkok is difficult and doing a simple house can take a year, because workers will be disappearing for the better payed jobs and coming back, when unemployed.

as to the second house - it's possible to find a bargain (fast sale, for half of the house value, because the bank is going to repossess it), usually it will be a delapidated or infested and you will have to put as much money in renovation as you payed for it.

Both your assesments are right to the point, very correct regarding the 2 houses I posted about.

For the 120K baht house - the guy (a farang) said it would have been double had he not had wife's family working on it - they built 2 houses at the same time, next to each other, the land is already theirs and there were no drifts of workforce towards better paid jobs and no waste of time. Took them 10 weeks to complete both.

The point I was making is - the core materials costs as the basis. Then one can start adding up for labor, fittings, quality.

The second one looked reasonable from outside but yes, it was infested and a wreck inside, toilets were squat holes, it took another 200K to do it up and, as can be seen on the pics, the roof is still in it's original (and crying for new) state.

I'm renovating at the moment.....bricks (approx 20cm x 40cm) - 3 baht each delivered. 1 cubic metre of sand - 400 baht, bag of cement 80 baht....DEAD CHEAP.

Renderer will do the work for 70 baht per square metre, or cheaper on a bigger job.

Tiler for floor work about 80 baht per square metre, for the walls etc, add another 20 baht.....im supplying tiles etc....also dead cheap.

You kind of get what you pay for, so im relying on tradesman that I know of or the family knows of. I'm supervising all the footings & structural work.....actually, some of it I just chose to do myself just to make sure its right.

I'm not big on paying this much per day or that much per day, unless I know how the tradesman works.....I don't like seeing half a dozen guys laying around on the ground under the mango trees eating som tam, dragging a two day job out for four. The see the farang and it happens....NOT ON MY BUILDING SITE :o .

Depends on what u want, ive got absolutely no intention to invest big money on houses in this country where there is F.A. Capital Gain, I would rather just live in something modest & something that there is a 'market'to resell to when its time to move on.

If your building in certain areas you need to allow extra money to sink concrete piers into the mud, because in some places you can hammer piers down 20 metres and the ground keep soaking them up.....you need something solid for your footings to sit on.

Drive around some of those villages that offer houses from 1.5 to 3 million baht, especially the villages that are at least 3 to 4 years old and you will see heaps of places sinking, concrete slabs moving, walls cracking, in some villages the quality just isnt there & I wouldnt be parting with 2 million baht for something thats just gonna be causing you headaches in a few years time.

I don't speak thru my backside, I made a motza off property in my home country, in my opinion its a different story here & any money I am sinking into property, I already accept that it will probably never come back.

Also if you do a google search, some guy built a house in thailand and he called it the coolthaihouse, obviously i don't need to tell you what you have to type before and after that to find that site, but you might get some useful information there too.

Edited by neverdie