Question(s) For The Pros. =0), A Little Help Please

I am a first time poster and long time watcher, but have not seen my specific question on the forum. Also I have never traveled outside the US so I appologize in advance for the ignorant questions.

Situation:

My fiancee, friend, his girlfriend and I are all coming to Thailand April 14th with the intention to teach english for a year. We are going to get TEFl certified and we all have a 4 year degree. This being said we started looking into visas.

We made some mistakes:

Our first mistake was buying one way tickets (due to cost), because of this we can not get a visa in the traditional "tourist" sense because we need to have proof we are leaving thailand (outbound flight).

So here is our plan, PLEASE make and suggestions you believe will help/make it easier. We are all from the US if that helps at all.

We decided we will have a job after ~60-90 days (TEFL course is 30 days long and we want to enjoy Thailand too), so after this period we determined our employer will be able to help obtain anything needed.

Again, we bought one way tickets which hinders our abiltity to get a typical tourist visa, we found out we need verification of outbound flights to obtain a mult. entry 60 day visa (according to Royal Thai consulate in Los Angeles).

So we are going to buy roundtrip tickets Singapore (which we want to visit anyway) that will be dated for approx. 50 days after we first arrive in Thailand, then we will also buy tickets to malaysia another 50-60 after we arrive in thailand the second time, thus hoping we will get a mult. entry visa good for two 60 day stays. allwoing us the time to find work.

What do you guys think? Has anyone done something like this before? Will it work? (although I dont see why it wont).

Thank you so much for the help/suggestions. :o

Edited by bneth360

The one way ticket is not a problem as long as you get a visa in advance.

A tourist visa will be best, possibly a double entry, if the consulate will give it.

A single entry will give you an initial 60 days and can be extended for 30 more.

A double entry will give you 60+30 then a quick border hop, out and straight back in to Thailand

will give you another 60+30.

This will give you time for your TEFL class, some holiday and time to look for a job.

Once you have an offer of a job you will need to exit Thailand, say to Malaysia or Laos to apply for

a Non Immigrant B visa to start your job. The school were you plan to teach will need to supply

paperwork to support your application. Initially you will be admited for 3 months, and this can be extended

for one year once you have a Work Permit. The school has to apply for the WP.

I am not sure about finding a job.

I suggest you read and post in the Teaching section

^ you're the man! Thanks a ton. And we do plan on applying before we leave the US jus so there is no loose ends before we leave. I was NOT aware we could get 60 days plus a 30 extension, so thank you again for that information.

Regarding employment we are not super worried about that. We think we will be ok.

With a degree you will have an excellent chance at getting a job as that seems to be the requirement to work here,more important than the teofl in most cases,especially if you have experience in teaching in your own country.In fact if you already have teaching experience, i wouldnt even bother with the teofl as i reckon you'd manage to get work without it.

...we bought one way tickets which hinders our abiltity to get a typical tourist visa, we found out we need verification of outbound flights to obtain a mult. entry 60 day visa (according to Royal Thai consulate in Los Angeles)....

Some Thai consulates want to see a return ticket for a tourist visa and if the consulate in Los Angeles gives you grief just apply for it by mail from an honorary consulate.

--

Maestro

...we bought one way tickets which hinders our abiltity to get a typical tourist visa, we found out we need verification of outbound flights to obtain a mult. entry 60 day visa (according to Royal Thai consulate in Los Angeles)....

Some Thai consulates want to see a return ticket for a tourist visa and if the consulate in Los Angeles gives you grief just apply for it by mail from an honorary consulate.

--

Maestro

Again, I am sorry for the newbie question: what is the difference between the L.A. location and an "honorary consulate"?

The La consulate is an official Thai consulate with Thai civil servents working there. They are known to be very unhelpfull in most cases.

Honorary consulates are operated by an individual or company that has been granted authority to issue visas and etc. For example the Houston consulate is located in a law office (been there).

They can be much more flexable when visas are requested.

For a list of honorary consulates use the pulldown menu on this webpage: http://www.thaiembdc.org/AboutEmb/EmbDirect.aspx

Interestingly, the Thai Consulate LA's website has a subsection under 'tourist visa' for holders of US passports. The only difference is, US passport holders *don't* need to show transportation tickets in and out of Thailand, nor evidence of money in the bank -- as do non-US applicants. I'd confront the LA Consulate as to why they're differentiating from their website. But, you'd probably get some arrogant answer. So, as others have said, just use the mail services of an honorary consulate. Houston, for one, accepts mail ins from anywhere in the US, and usually turns them around in one business day.

(Interestingly, the Thai Embassy in DC *does* require tickets and bankbook for all tourist visa applicants, whether US citizen or not. This is as advertised on their website -- and recently confirmed by a US citizen friend. So, steer clear of LA, DC -- and NY and Chicago. These are the "nonhonorable" ones.)