Warning - Chiang Mai Police

wjmark

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has started in Chiang Mai. No plates? No invoice? Lose your bike.

Apparently the word has come down to seize 100 illegal bikes. Only 30 so far.

Watch out!!!

Who's your source mate?

Both Thais and foreigners purchase BIG bikes without registration. To get a big bike registered from scratch, it will cost 60,000 Baht and above, depending on make, model, and year, so you can see the reason why some people are tempted to ride without registration.

It's common knowledge that the Police take a far heavier hand if people try to fool them by attaching a false plate than if they just ride around without one.

Aitch

Edited by Drew Aitch

Watch out!!!

How do you know?

My mechanic told me. He is keeping his shop closed right now - the BIB are also raiding shops...

Also saw a farang without plates getting hassled today.

Up to you!!!

Police were out in force the past few days in the central city. It usually starts about 10 AM and finishes around 2:30 PM. The have all sorts of people lined up without helmets. I suspect they crack down on anyone they find suspicious. I saw them let a little old falong couple on a scooter go with a warning, but they nailed a couple of yonger falongs on bigger bikes. I"ve got plates on my bike and I always wear a helmet. My passengers don't though, but that is usually later in the evening when police let anything go up to, but not including, murder.

Watch out!!!

Who's your source mate?

Both Thais and foreigners purchase BIG bikes without registration. To get a big bike registered from scratch, it will cost 60,000 Baht and above, depending on make, model, and year, so you can see the reason why some people are tempted to ride without registration.

It's common knowledge that the Police take a far heavier hand if people try to fool them by attaching a false plate than if they just ride around without one.

Aitch

Many big bikes can't be registered in Chiang Mai at any cost, because Chiang Mai checks bikes more carefully than other places. And your 'common knowledge' must be you only, because I have never heard that from anyone, and I don't believe it either. It is very common to attach a fake plate, and the police are easily fooled by fake plates. You imply that the police are 'easier' on bikes without plates. That has always been an individual cops decision, in my experience.

Watch out!!!

How do you know?

My mechanic told me. He is keeping his shop closed right now - the BIB are also raiding shops...

Up to you!!!

Rumour only it sounds like to me.

Let's see... Reason: They're cheap, they don't mind riding an illegal and uninsured bike, they like evading taxes.. any other reasons? I don't think it makes much sense at all frankly. But then this could be a typical case of FIT. (Farangs in Thaland)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Many big bikes can't be registered in Chiang Mai at any cost, because Chiang Mai checks bikes more carefully than other places. And your 'common knowledge' must be you only, because I have never heard that from anyone, and I don't believe it either. It is very common to attach a fake plate, and the police are easily fooled by fake plates. You imply that the police are 'easier' on bikes without plates. That has always been an individual cops decision, in my experience.

Ajarn, i was in the big bike business in Thailand not so long ago. I've bought imported machines, paid assembly taxes, and dealt with registrations in large numbers on many makes and models of super bikes. ALL bikes can get registration providing they are accompanied by the legal documentation. A dodgy deal that has no papers has no chance, but we're not talking about those, are we?

Btw, a fake plate is simple a visible plate that doesn't belong to the bike it's attached to, so you can't spot a fake plate, you can only reveal it if stopped and checked by the police. Being in the game, and involved in the community as it were, i do know these things :o

Aitch

Ajarn, i was in the big bike business in Thailand not so long ago. I've bought imported machines, paid assembly taxes, and dealt with registrations in large numbers on many makes and models of super bikes. ALL bikes can get registration providing they are accompanied by the legal documentation. A dodgy deal that has no papers has no chance, but we're not talking about those, are we?

Btw, a fake plate is simple a visible plate that doesn't belong to the bike it's attached to, so you can't spot a fake plate, you can only reveal it if stopped and checked by the police. Being in the game, and involved in the community as it were, i do know these things :D

Aitch

Yes, we are talking about those bikes, too. They are a part of the scene here. Maybe they don't have papers becuse they were imported from Japan in pieces, and reaseembled here and sold as a whole bike. I have imported such bikes myself, so I know about them, and they can't be registered in Chiang Mai.

Thanks for telling me about fake plates. But I know about fake plates, and I still stand by my words :o

Watch out!!!

How do you know?

Up to you!!!

Of course it is just a rumor. Everything is just a 'rumor', so take it for what it is worth.

My mechanic said that even 'legal' bikes with invoice, but no plate, are being seized.

As Richard-BKK notes in this parallel thread,

( http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Warning-Chia...ce-t247145.html )

You lose the bike also if you have an invoice, but for some reason cannot register your motorcycle. All motorcycles without plates are confiscated and invoice bikes you can get back with registering documents.

Bangkok Metropolitan is also scheduling a similar action at the end of this month, beginning of next month. So if you come to the 30th Bangkok Motorshow... be sure that your paperwork is 100% correct..

Rumor only - for what it is worth...

Watch out!!!

Don't you just love these sensational topics :o Why the magical figure of 100 bikes? Where did the "word" come down from? Where are the 30 seized bikes now. and did you personally count them? :D

sources please!

Watch out!!!

Don't you just love these sensational topics :o Why the magical figure of 100 bikes? Where did the "word" come down from? Where are the 30 seized bikes now. and did you personally count them? :D

sources please!

He already said his source was his mechanic. We are waiting for some kind on confirmation from the Som Tam Lady. But his mechanic could be right. Mine doesn't know anything, even how to fix my car.

Edited by adjan jb

Watch out!!!

sources please!

He already said his source was his mechanic. We are waiting for some kind on confirmation from the Som Tam Lady. But his mechanic could be right. Mine doesn't know anything, even how to fix my car.

I saw a lot of police out earlier today - both in town (Chiang Mai) and out Maejo Rd. I noticed some people were stopped who had helmets -so perhaps it was for their registration - also pulling out papers from under the seat of the bike (I saw one of those). I was wondering (before reading thread) why people wearing helmets were being stopped. Perhaps registration is the reason.

Big roadblock in front of Wattanothai Payap school this evening, with floodlights, pylons & lots of cops. I saw dozens of bikes pulled over. Don't know if there's any connection to the OP's rumor but it for sure caught my attention.

Was at Chiangmai Ram this morning. Since had a one hour wait for lab test results walked over to Central. Soon as I turned the corner at Huay Kaew road there were a group of BIB on both sides of the street stopping those without helmuts. Nothing unusual about that location and used often, big turnover when bikes turn left into that blind spot.

Funny to watch those coming from the direction of CMU trying to "skirt" the action by U-turning at the divider. Handled later by a ranking officer standing at that spot in the middle of the road. Saw one farang pulled over wearing a helmet except the cop was waving the girl on the bike behind him over who didn't have a helmut. :o The bib waved him to continue, both smiling. Probably got a bike every few seconds, so full coffers tonight.

I saw dozens of bikes pulled over

Who's your source mate?

How do you know?

Don't you just love these sensational topics... sources please!

We are waiting for some kind on confirmation from the Som Tam Lady

cheers for the heads up, I know the places I must avoid over the next few days.

I have a Jap bike that has been imported in parts and reassembled. I looked into getting it registered after one too many fines from the BiB. Richard BKK told me I could get it done for 600 Baht. I had two different Thai friends phone the Department of Land Transportation (as he suggested), the first one was told that it would cost 30,000 Baht, the second one was told 50,000 Baht, and both said I would need to go to Bangkok to get it done. I gave up.

Farang Cravings - not seen you or George at Cue Bar for ages? Competition next weekend for 50,000 Baht. Would be interested to hear how you went about getting your chopper registered. cheers.

Watch out!!!

sources please!

I saw a lot of police out earlier today - both in town (Chiang Mai) and out Maejo Rd. I noticed some people were stopped who had helmets -so perhaps it was for their registration - also pulling out papers from under the seat of the bike (I saw one of those). I was wondering (before reading thread) why people wearing helmets were being stopped. Perhaps registration is the reason.

We were stopped in the city a couple of days ago (both wearing helmets), and asked to produce the registration papers. Many others wearing helmets were being pulled over as well.

cheers for the heads up, I know the places I must avoid over the next few days.

I have a Jap bike that has been imported in parts and reassembled. I looked into getting it registered after one too many fines from the BiB. Richard BKK told me I could get it done for 600 Baht. I had two different Thai friends phone the Department of Land Transportation (as he suggested), the first one was told that it would cost 30,000 Baht, the second one was told 50,000 Baht, and both said I would need to go to Bangkok to get it done. I gave up.

Farang Cravings - not seen you or George at Cue Bar for ages? Competition next weekend for 50,000 Baht. Would be interested to hear how you went about getting your chopper registered. cheers.

Yes, I have heard the same story for more than 10 years. Bangkok or Phuket for 50,000 or 60,000 baht. But you must register at these two offices only. Not in Chiang Mai. I'm sure it is some sort of scam, but the details are hard to come by. I do know of 3 people who were refused at Chiang Mai, but were accepted at Phuket...

Good if true.

Agreed!

Why should some (albeit the majority) register and pay the taxes and others get away with not paying. :o

On top of which, allowing unregistered big bikes on the roads here is an important contributing factor behind the theft of big bikes in Japan (and possibly elsewhere) that are then imported into Thailand as parts and reassembled for sale here. As one who lived in Japan and rode big bikes there and who still has many friends there who do the same, I would be very glad to learn that steps are being taken here that will result in fewer bikes being stolen there.

Edited by Rasseru

I have a large 900 cc chopper and it cost me all of 900 baht to register it and get plates easy peasy

What's the rest of the story?

LOL :o

Yep there is a bit more to it than i made out and figured I would have to come clean LOL

I bought my bike brand spanking new from the Kawasaki showroom just off the moat and rode it out the showroom without plates they called me 5 days later to tell me my plates and registration book were in an I could come and collect total cost 900 baht and a completely legal bike

I got hit with a 200b fine for having no plates on a small bike I got a couple weeks ago. I was told I don't get plates for a month by the dealer! I had an invoice but it didn't seem to matter. Surely I was taken advantage of, but hey, I'll let them keep the 200b to avoid the hassle.

Watch out!!!

Sorry I don't get the problem? get a registered bike, get it insured, get the licence and tax - nuff said! if you get your bike confiscated or a fine then how's that different than farangland? it took me a day to get all this stuff - and more seriously IF you have an accident and DO NOT have all the legal bits you WILL get the book thrown at you and that's fair enough - comply.