Warning - Chiang Mai Police

wjmark

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pic of a bunch of bikes in the Daily Express today with the comment:

"Chiang Mai police yesterday announced that 102 untaxed big bikes worth more than Bt5 million had been impounded in the past seven days."

Looks like they got their target.

Right, so is there a site that would list the models that are available in Thailand? I checked the Kawasaki site but didn't see anything advertised bigger than a Kawasaki Boss which is a tiny 175cc bike.

I bought a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 directly from Kawasaki here in Chiang Mai had the bike 5 months and thought I would upgrade to the new 2000 cc Kawasaki model however tehy tell me they cant get it and apparently my current bike was assembled in Rayong by Kawasaki seems Kawasaki bring in the parts and assemble the big bike here. As far as I know the biggest bike Kawasaki sells here is the Vulcan 900cc (well 903 to be exact :o )

Edited by FarangCravings

Yahmaha ha a wide range od sports touring bikes the easiest way to check this out is on gtriders.com there are several threads on it. I think I may have to settle fo a 900 Vulcan anltough I really want the 1300CC V-star.

I'm trying to stay with my 400 Dragstar for a few nore years, maybe things will change for the better.

Or if we get the information on the shipping company that might make for another option. I can get the V-Star now hrouihg a locla dealer but I know it's going to have a grey book.

The dealers on Kawi offer pretty good financing, as does Harley I don't know about Yamaha.

Yahmaha ha a wide range od sports touring bikes the easiest way to check this out is on gtriders.com there are several threads on it. I think I may have to settle fo a 900 Vulcan anltough I really want the 1300CC V-star.

I'm trying to stay with my 400 Dragstar for a few nore years, maybe things will change for the better.

Or if we get the information on the shipping company that might make for another option. I can get the V-Star now hrouihg a locla dealer but I know it's going to have a grey book.

The dealers on Kawi offer pretty good financing, as does Harley I don't know about Yamaha.

I have nothing but good things to say about my Vulcan, lots of power, smooth and holds the road very well I have done 6700 km so far all over N Thailand and not a single issue. Only thing I was not keen on was the pipes as they were very very quiet so I debaffled them and now I am much happier with the sound.

When I bought it I looked at the financing and yes they have some decent financing I just did not want to put it in anyones name except mine (they would not finance me personally) so I went with the cash option.

I know a chap in the North Comets that has a 1300 V Star met him in Thaton on a run looks a nice bike Oh I think it was an 1800 if I remember correctly he got it from Riccho the Harley dealer here in Chiang Mai.

There is a dragster 1100 for sale 280,000 looks a good deal not sure if legal but I think its the same one that Riccho has for sale in his showroom if it is it will be a legal bike

heres the ad

http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/automotive...sale-17691.html

Edited by FarangCravings

Any big bike can be bought legally providing it has the correct papers. A motorcycle cannot be imported as a registered bike because the registration process is something that is done in Thailand by the Thais, and they obviously need the physical machine to process a registration.

It's not illegal to purchase 'unregistered' bikes, providing you have all the correct import papers, but it is illegal to ride them on the roads. It's also illegal for a dealership to display unregistered second-hand imports in their showroom as a 'Bikes For Sale'. BMW cars used to have NEW bikes in their showroom windows as part of the BMW theme, and although they were also unregistered, they got around it by importing then as display models only.

When these big bike shops get raided by the authorities (which is nothing new by the way!), the police confiscate all those bikes on display which are unregistered, and any bikes they find in storage, which have no import papers.

If the law was implemented to the full extent, a bike brought into the country in bits and put together as a full unit, would also have to pay what is known as an assembly tax. The cost of this varies from model to model, with charges ranging 22,000 to 40,000+ Thai Baht per assembled unit.

So even if a quality used imported bike has had the full registration fee paid, but the assembly tax was not, then that bike's registration has been processed illegally. Assembly tax is the responsibility of the dealer (the one who bought the parts to assemble the bike for resale), whereas the registration tax is the responsibility of the bike owner, should he or she decide to take it on the road.

Why not spend the extra and buy a bike that already has the green book (check the document details and the physical product correspond)? Or better still, buy a new white import where there are not dodgy previous owners or dealership scams to worry about.

By following these simple rules mean riders will be able to enjoy their motorcycling without having to follow and worry about threads like this. Why anyone would want to be constantly looking over their shoulder for police check points and the fear of losing their pride and joy, is somewhat of a mystery! A little peace of mind can be had simply by purchasing a registered machine from the outset.

Aitch

Well if the police met their quota of seized bikes guess that explains today's scene. Police check point on the klong in city cop had a young man doing push ups on the blacktop for some reason. I watched him drive off on honda dream with no helmet.

Well It's like the Dragstar 1100 pointed, nice nike good price. But, for peace of mind I would raher wait until I can buy new. Best deal around these days. But it's only been avaikable a few years.

Nice break down on taxes explains 70K with a bit of profit, if in fact that happened.

Push ups instead of a fine today, thats probably a pretty heavy price in this heat.

Only got 40 K on this bike running perfectly and meets my needs, so I won't be buying anything for a while. Uness something changes it will be the Vulcan 900. Nice bike white book no doubt about it.

Fuel injected so it will handle the gasohol

Well if the police met their quota of seized bikes guess that explains today's scene. Police check point on the klong in city cop had a young man doing push ups on the blacktop for some reason. I watched him drive off on honda dream with no helmet.

It sounds to me like you were there watching long enough for some photos :o

Kawasaki is now selling 250 Ninja > 650 Ern6 > 900 Vulcan perfectly legal (since february 2009)

Although I like Honda and Yamaha, I will go Kawasaki now, just to be legal.

I think that police will start checking big bikes everywhere now...

Dura lex, sed lex...

Good luck to all bikers !

Sorry do not carry camera nor mobile phone so no photos. I was walking from DK book store parking lot and walked past the calisthenics of the driver. Passenger was watching and when finished, both hopped on bike and drove off.

Sorry do not carry camera nor mobile phone so no photos. I was walking from DK book store parking lot and walked past the calisthenics of the driver. Passenger was watching and when finished, both hopped on bike and drove off.

they made him do pushups? that's surreal.

Particularly with the air the way it is.

perhaps it's the latest public interest initiative launched by the CM constabulary. in line with their crash helmet checking safety policy which just happens to coincide with the end of every month and payday, this new project could be borne of their concern for general public fitness. next they'll be confiscating scooters and motorbikes and replacing them with pushbikes.

Only got 40 K on this bike running perfectly and meets my needs, so I won't be buying anything for a while. Uness something changes it will be the Vulcan 900. Nice bike white book no doubt about it.

Fuel injected so it will handle the gasohol

I would not put Gasohol in my Vulcan I hang out at another thread all about Kawasakis and the general concesus is never put Gasohol in the Vulcan with more than 10% ehtanol or more than 5% methanol you will also get less milage too

Particularly with the air the way it is.

perhaps it's the latest public interest initiative launched by the CM constabulary. . . . . this new project could be borne of their concern for general public fitness.

Either that, or a clever way to impose capital punishment by causing lung cancer.

Ok they at this moment are still seizing bikes in Pattaya on a individual basis, so this may not be short term.

Ok I think this a pretty good breakdown of what it takes to import a personal vehilce. Remember this is all going to have to be done in Thai. Me I would need a reputable Thai importer to do this, Does anyone even know of one? You may also note that the tax rates are set not at what you actully paid but what they beleive based on a chart what yuo should have paid. Freight costs no based on what you paid, but the highest rate in the past six months, That could be very high since fuel was very expensive six months ago. Also doesn't mention emission control test.

We had one post that mentioned this was simple that his wife worked for company who did it all the time. We asked for the company information, havent seen anything. There are many of us who truly prefer to do things legally. If tha person really has the information I wish he would provide it. The botom line this si anyhtin but simple fro someoen who ha never done it before. A licensed impor agent is he way o go in my mind. But first you have to find one. I checked out the Motorcycle adds in L.A. yesterday found a 2002 1600 CC Royal Star with 11k Miles on it for $3900. If there is way to do that leagally through an import company I would do that in a heart beat. 115 K baht

Permanent Import of Personal Vehicles

The Permanent Import of a Personal Vehicles into Thailand

New vehicles of all types

Not yet registered abroad are allowed to be imported without applying for an import permit from the Ministry of Commerce. However, for the vehicles with the weight less than 3500 Kgs., an importer needs to obtain an import permit from the Industrial Standard Institute, telephone number +66 (0)2-2023331.

Used/secondhand vehicles

Need to obtain an import permit from the Foreign Trade Department of the Ministry of Commerce, telephone +66 (0)2-5474804. For the vehicles with the weight less than 3500 Kgs., an importer needs to obtain an import permit from the Industrial Standard Institute as well.

Warning...

For the importation of used/secondhand vehicles, an importer needs to obtain an import permit from the Foreign Trade Department of the Ministry of Commerce before the arrival of the vehicles; otherwise he/she shall be liable to a fine equal to 10 percent of the price of vehicle but not less than 1,000 Thai Baht, or exceeding 20,000 Thai Baht.

Criteria for a Permanent Import of Used/Secondhand Vehicles

An importer is eligible to import only ONE used/ secondhand vehicles for personal use.

In case where the importer is a nonresident, he/she is required to stay in Thailand for at least ONE year and present a non-immigrant visa issued by the Immigration Bureau, the National Police Office together with a work permit issued by the Ministry of Labor and Social Welfare at the time of importation.

In case where an importer is a Thai resident marrying a foreigner, he/she is required to present documentary evidence of marriage and proof of changing residence to Thailand. Also the importer has to own and possess the imported vehicle for at least one and a half year while staying abroad, from the date of transferring the ownership to the date of arrival into Thailand

In case where an importer is a Thai resident, he/she is allowed to import a vehicle only when such vehicle is accompanied the owner on the change of residence and he/she has owned and possessed the imported vehicle together with the valid driving license for at least one and a half year while staying abroad.

Documentation

General Documentation:

An Import Goods Declaration and 3 duplicates;

A Bill of Lading or Air Waybill;

Proof of vehicle purchase (if any);

A Release Order (Kor Sor Kor 100/1);

An insurance premium invoice; and

Other relevant documents (if any) e.g. a power of attorney.

Additional Documentation for the used/secondhand personal vehicles:

A House Certificate and an Identification Card;

A passport in case of changing residence;

A Vehicle Registration Certificate indicating that the imported vehicle was used abroad;

An import permit from the Foreign Trade Department of the Ministry of Commerce

Import Clearance Procedures

An importer/agent submits an Import Goods Declaration together with all supporting documents to the Customs office/house at the port of entry;

Customs verifies the documents, allocates a Goods Declaration number and calculates liable taxes and duties;

The importer/agent pays liable taxes and duties at a Cashier Office; and

The importer/agent presents the receipt issued by the Cashier Office to a Customs Inspection Office to bring the imported vehicles from Customs custody.

Tax and Duty Assessment:

The Customs value of the imported vehicles is determined on the basis of the CIF value (Cost, Insurance and Freight).

Customs Value

Purchase prices of new vehicles imported or exported by an authorized dealer.

If the purchase price in 4.1.1 is not available, the price listed in the Parkers Car Price Guide, Japanese Car and What Car?

Costs of any modification or improvement of parts or accessories done on the vehicle are also taken into account.

In case where the vehicle is damaged by any incidents other than normal use e.g car accidents, fire, etc. the price of the vehicle is discounted as appropriate.

The Customs value for used/secondhand vehicles is discounted according to the registration period as shown in the given table

Insurance

In case where the cost of insurance is paid before the arrival of a vehicle, the actual cost of insurance is applied.

In case where the cost of insurance in 4.2.1 is not available, the cost of insurance is calculated at 1% of the FOB value.

Transport Cost

In case where the latest transport cost of an authorized dealer is available, such cost is applied.

In case where the transport cost in 4.3.1 is not available, the transport cost indicated in the Customs Code of Practices is applied e.g. the higher transport cost of the same make and model vehicle within 6 preceding months, etc.

In case where the transport costs in 4.3.1 and 4.3.2 are not available, the transport cost is calculated at 10% of FOB value.

Table of Tax and Duty Rates

I'd like to know exactly what law the police are enforcing here and what exactly the fine is. People are being asked to pay different amounts by police, so it's obvious things aren't always being done by the book (if there is one). One friend of mine was asked to pay 50,000 Baht to get his bike bike, another 20,000 and finally another was asked for 10,000 Baht which was suddenly reduced to 2,000 Baht when he said he was going to call his lawyer. Consistency and transparency would be nice (as per usual).

Time for a little rumor Control:

A local dealer here is telling the guys wihtout books that if they go to Bangkok and pay the taxes on the bike they don't need the book and the Police won't sieze it.

True or not true?

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe periodic... but have a look at the bikes ads! Inlation of ads everywhere this month of March... Why?

Obviously many guys want to get rid of their piece of iron!..

Are things changing?

:o

I guess i got lucky. When living there I was never stopped for not having a plate on my Chaly. I have gotten stopped for routine checks (like drunk checks at 2am) They tell me I have a nice bike and even that I don't have papers, stickers, plates for it. And then they let me go...

Honestly, I have no clue how I would go about registering that bike, I think it still has the VIN stamped into it. Supposedly only the CF-70 Models every got plates, the CF-50's were grey market.

It could also be the fact that there is no profit in taking my lil 125cc hopped up scooter compared for a cbr600....

I parked outside the police box near Worrorot market last wednesday, as soon as I got off the bike a copper came out and started inspecting it. After a short chat in Thai about plates (which I don't have), invoices (which I have, but didn't have with me) etc... he gave me a serious stare, wrote me a ticket and took my keys. I walked along to the station, paid the ticket (500 Baht), took the receipt back and exchanged it for my keys.

He instructed me to keep the ticket in my pocket for the next few days in case I was stopped again.

Not sure if it would've been the same deal if I had been stopped at an actual checkpoint.

Edited by keo