Recent Dining Experiences - Reviews

cochran

One word of advice: choose a table outside. When we left, we could still smell the aroma of fried food on our clothes and etc.

Give this place a shot. Don't judge on appearance - wait for the food.

It is O.K. What time of day did you go?

They do a Pizza special on a Tuesday for 100 Baht.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not a fan of their pizza. It tastes like pizza bread to me.

I'm British, and I don't understand why pizza bread shouldn't taste like pizza bread on a pizza??

I am not really clear what you are asking. Pizza bread is pizza ingredients over bread instead of a real pizza crust. I am saying the pizza crust there is breadlike rather than crustlike. I also find their topping too sweet, something ketchupy about the tomato part of it, which is something I also associate with pizza bread. Bottom line, pizza bread is an inferior product to real pizza. I can't imagine anyone counting their pizza as among the better in town, and this is in a town with mostly subpar pizzas.

Edited by Jingthing

I'm British, and I don't understand why pizza bread shouldn't taste like pizza bread on a pizza??

I am not really clear what you are asking. Pizza bread is pizza ingredients over bread instead of a real pizza crust. I am saying the pizza crust there is breadlike rather than crustlike. I also find their topping too sweet, something ketchupy about the tomato part of it, which is something I also associate with pizza bread. Bottom line, pizza bread is an inferior product to real pizza. I can't imagine anyone counting their pizza as among the better in town, and this is in a town with mostly subpar pizzas.

Pizza again!!

Richman Poorman was the first pizza I ate after coming to Jomtien to live, nearly four year ago; I'm sure we were among their first customers. At Richman Poorman (btw, not expensive) the pizzas have a thin, crisp crust; moderate toppings and, yes, a somewhat sweet sauce. I think their pizza fits into the, "Ok, Not-bad-for-Pattaya/ best if you're really hungry" category, not the "Yum! Italian-style-&-taste/ let's save some for breakfast!" category. One thing, on the other hand: if you order sausage here, it pretty much tastes like normal pizza sausage- unheard of 'round here! On the other-other hand, I think that (New Yorker) Chef Eddie does make some American food, other than pizza, that's as good, for what it is, as anyplace in the area. For that, Richman Poorman has a good size clientele. And on the last hand- never smelled like bacon when I've been there, but was moved to make a quick departure a couple of times when the political discussion around me became an inescapable cloud of hot air. My fellow Americans... sabai, sabai.

-Michael

On the other-other hand, I think that (New Yorker) Chef Eddie does make some American food, other than pizza, that's as good, for what it is, as anyplace in the area. For that, Richman Poorman has a good size clientele.

Agreed, its a good place, just not for everything ...

Wow, has it really been so long since I posted? Sorry!! Work has really cranked up lately, and been eating more at home and revisiting a few favorites.

I do have two updates, though.

Had some colleagues in from out of town last week and took them out for the obligatory tour of Walking Street. We had dinner at Sea Zone, previously reported as the home of the best Irish coffee ever (true!!). This was my first meal there, and let's just say that I have a new favorite place for Thai food, displacing Mum Aroy.

My colleagues ordered the grilled giant prawns with shrimp fried rice. We also had tom kha gai, fried fish with three flavor sauce, khao pad gai, and squid with curry. I won't say the tom kha gai was the best ever, but is definitely tied for first. On the fish, Leng Kee on Pattaya Klang does this really well, but I think Sea Zone is an improvement over that one. It was really that good. My colleagues were well satisfied. We left without the Irish coffee, as there were more venues ahead, and we were full!! The menu is quite extensive, and the beverage selection includes Erdinger and Federbrau beers. The cocktails are quite good as well. If you haven't been here yet, give it a try.

This weekend we stopped in at Golf Bar on Soi LK Metro, after reading recommendations from this site. You were right - good food and good value. We checked the tables inside, but then decided to eat outside. Good choice, as there was a good little crowd there bantering back and forth to provide entertainment. We felt totally at home there. For dinner, my girl ordered the open faced roast beef sandwich, served with peas and a nice gravy. She enjoyed everything except the peas, but given the size of the serving on the beef and bread she still had enough food. I ordered the grilled chicken pita with english-style chips. The sandwich was great - bread was fresh, the tzatziki-style sauce was cool and refreshing, and the chicken tasted like it had just come off a hot charcoal grill. The chips were a little overcooked, but not burned. There were so many things on the menu that looked great...we'll be back!! I hope that on our return, there's another friendly crowd there drinking and watching cricket.

I'll continue to post updates, but running out of new places. Jingthing, i still haven't made it to the places you've recommended in Jomtien Complex or Soi Tukcom or Soi Daynight (hope I don't have you mixed up with another poster on some of these), and I'm looking forward to trying Cafe des Amis and Rich Man Poor Man on my next few adventures. Open to new suggestions!!

Yeah Sea Zone is pretty good.

We ate there for New Years Eve with a table on the water.

Been back a few times since and the food still good.

The food is good and drinks reasonably priced.

Word of warning on the Irish Coffee it took ages to make them so order them early like half an hour before you really want them. I think they were about 260 baht each so they are not cheap either.

I think it is better than Mum Aroy but that is my personal preference as Mum Aroy doesn't do some fish that i like.

The Naklua Mum Aroy has an advantage with the venue but it is still more aimed at the Thai market than the farang market.

Thanks for the explanation.

My initial confusion was perhaps due to eating 'Findus French Bread Pizzas' in the U.K. ten years+ ago. I suppose looking back I ate those more than normal dough pizzas, because they were sold frozen at supermarkets and were delicious after re-heating in an oven for 12 minutes at 451 degrees Farenheit.

Link below:

French Bread Pizza Link

If you're headed to the old location, its on the same road, same side, just not as far down as the old one (as you're coming from central Pattaya). Not sure how far exactly between the two, but within easy walking distance for sure.

Price is higher, I think, but the quality is so much better than Tequila Reef that its not comparable. Seriously. Maybe the best guacamole I've ever had, really good salsa, and the entrees (Monterey chicken fajita burrito FTW) are great. You can also get Herradurra tequila there, in several different vintages. I've been to Tequila Reef once, and will only ever go back there again if a) I'm already in the neighborhood and :) really need a margarita. No more dinners at TR, I'm afraid, but have been to Mike's 3 times, plus one order from Door 2 Door, and looking forward to going again.

Its on Thepraya (Theprasit? Somebody help me out here!). Head down 3rd Rd, past Tony's gym, then stay left when you reach the bridge (don't take the bridge - stay on surface streets), and turn left. The restaurant will be several hundred meters down, on your left. Look for a yellow sign with a turtle. You can also find him on the web if you google it, and there's a map on the site.

The more astute among you may notice that I am not so good at giving driving directions. Hey, nobody's perfect, right?

Edited by cochran

check it... Mike's Mexican... let's say you're at Pattaya Klang. hit up 3rd Road and take it south. take it all the way until you get to the underpass at Thappraya and make the left to round on to Thappraya. about 2 kilomet on your left hand side you will see a sign that says MIKES MEXICAN <---

turn down that street, about 100 yards and park it. shouldn't be problems ever finding a parking spot if you're coming by car. awesome set up he's got. better than Tequilla Reef.

edit: sorry Cochran, i didn't notice your post before i hit submit. you directions are same same. and if you're coming from Thepprasit, make a right onto Thappraya.

Edited by anothertorres

Its on Thepraya (Theprasit? Somebody help me out here!). Head down 3rd Rd, past Tony's gym, then stay left when you reach the bridge (don't take the bridge - stay on surface streets), and turn left. The restaurant will be several hundred meters down, on your left. Look for a yellow sign with a turtle. You can also find him on the web if you google it, and there's a map on the site.

The more astute among you may notice that I am not so good at giving driving directions. Hey, nobody's perfect, right?

Or knowing up from down :)

It's UP the hill on the left side coming from the bridge.

There's a Family Mart on the corner.

Gimme a regional-background break here. I'm from the SE US (think rural areas here), so everything you're headed toward is "down the road" and everything you've already passed is "back up the road".

Or maybe I am just directionally challenged in 360 degrees, as you mentioned!!

Gimme a regional-background break here. I'm from the SE US (think rural areas here), so everything you're headed toward is "down the road" and everything you've already passed is "back up the road".

Or maybe I am just directionally challenged in 360 degrees, as you mentioned!!

makes sense. i'm from NE US (think city areas here) and the place we call "downtown" is actually "uptown". we're not smart, us Amerks :)

New restaurant report:

Great India Restaurant

Located on 2nd Road across the street from the new Joe Louis theater

Menu claims: Best Indian and Bangladeshi food in town!

Food is Hallal

Opened: One week

Asked if they offered any specific Bangladeshi curried. No, they don't.

Ordered:

Sweet lassi (large glass, good taste) 50 baht

Chicken vindaloo (tiny portion, asked for it extra spicy, got it medium spicy and extra SALTY), contained 4 small pieces of chicken breast meat and a few chunks of tired soft potatoes in a thick sauce that didn't taste like vindaloo to me 145 baht

Pallau rice, OK, tiny portion 50 baht

Vegetable pakora, generous portion, good taste, not greasy, however most of it was really onion bhaji, some had thin sliced potatoes, and some had thin slice broccoli, really very little vegetable, however the dish was good for what it was and the price was right 80 baht

Mentioned to proprietor that serving such tiny portions on the curry and the rice was not going to attract REPEAT local customers. He appeared not interested. I find that weird and unpleasant in a new restaurant. They should be in the process of figuring out what they need to succeed. Customers offering feedback are doing them a favor! However, I think the reality is they are looking for mostly one off Middle Eastern tourists and don't really care about their reputation.

The other weird thing about the place. Generous portions on the lassi and pakora and tiny portions on the rice and curry. Oh well, another Indian place to write off the list.

Edited by Jingthing

Chicken vindaloo (tiny portion, asked for it extra spicy, got it medium spicy and extra SALTY), contained 4 small pieces of chicken breast meat and a few chunks of tired soft potatoes in a thick sauce that didn't taste like vindaloo to me 145 baht

Pallau rice, OK, tiny portion 50 baht

I too have given up on Indian restaurants in Pattaya.

To be honest if you boil your own rice, buy your own chicken and get one of those (expensive) glass jars of curries at Friendship, Sharwoods I think, then you will achieve a superb tasting curry (even Vindaloo is available).

But according to your report, I won't be visiting; you paid 325 baht; I can make a massive meal for the same price.

Just had the Friday special at Jameson's, fish and chips, and I must say I think it was even better than last time.

Entree was a choice of Chicken Madras (Soup) or vegetarian spring rolls - I had the spring rolls (2) with a dipping sauce and very tasty.

Dessert was Banana Pudding - I was too full so I cannot report on that.

Still very good value for Baht 195.

Just had the Friday special at Jameson's, fish and chips, and I must say I think it was even better than last time.

Entree was a choice of Chicken Madras (Soup) or vegetarian spring rolls - I had the spring rolls (2) with a dipping sauce and very tasty.

Sounds great. I'll give it a go next Friday. When does the Friday Special start is it 12.00 Midday?

Sounds great. I'll give it a go next Friday. When does the Friday Special start is it 12.00 Midday?

Yes Syd -12 midday to 11:00p.m.

Michaelaway, I think we're talking about 2nd road, just across from Central, correct? If so, good place. The food prep time can seem a little long, but I think that's just because its freshly prepared. The cuisine there is Southern Indian. Everything I've had there has been good, except the idly and the dosa, which just weren't to my taste texture-wise but were recommended by an Indian colleague. The tandoori chicken, chicken madras, veg jalfrezi, etc. are all quite good, and they don't make the food too spicy - its just right for me. Of course, if you asked I'm sure they could turn up the heat! Really enjoy this place - try the garlic naan.

Michaelaway, I think we're talking about 2nd road, just across from Central, correct? If so, good place. The food prep time can seem a little long, but I think that's just because its freshly prepared. The cuisine there is Southern Indian. Everything I've had there has been good, except the idly and the dosa, which just weren't to my taste texture-wise but were recommended by an Indian colleague. The tandoori chicken, chicken madras, veg jalfrezi, etc. are all quite good, and they don't make the food too spicy - its just right for me. Of course, if you asked I'm sure they could turn up the heat! Really enjoy this place - try the garlic naan.

Yup, you're right. 2nd Road... sorry. Good place, I agree. (Took my cues from Jingthing; he said MD was a good place, so I figured I'd try it.) And, you know, I figure if the food at an Indian restaurant DOESN'T take a while in preparation... it's probably not going to be very good. Waiting is better in this case, no?

PS- Gotta go to the Korean restaurant soon...! Is it agreed that the one up behind Big C North is the place to go...?

:)

Edited by Michaelaway

Yesterday (Sunday) I just fancied a good old traditional Sunday Lunch, so I went to Seasider Restaurent on Soi Chiapoon (sorry about spelling) The Soi runs between Soi Bouakow and 3rd Road close to Crazy Daves and Neeroys.

I had not been for some Months but it was still delicious as usual.

Loads of slices of tender Roast Beef, the good old Yorkshire Pudding, Mashed & Roast potatoes, lots of Veg, thick gravy. 140 bt.. A plate full.

The place is not posh, but it is clean and the service is still good.

I have been eating here for 8 Years and never had a bad experience yet.