Recent Dining Experiences - Reviews

cochran

I want to make a special point to NOT recommend Oliviers in the complex. Their buffet included with dinner LOOKS very impressive but TASTES very salty and cheap. Their French style main courses are nothing to write home about either.

Not my experience at all. The all you can eat buffet is a good deal with or without the entree and overall this restaurant I rate as a good value. Oivier's is one of most popular restaurant's in the JCC area.

I like olivers. I usually get the pork in mustard sause and it is very good. I have had many more of the dishes and liked them all and have brought many people there and never one complaint. the buffet is good also. to each their own but although i will eat anything unless its awfull, i dont go back if its not good and i have been to olivers dozens of times. good food, clean place, good prices, good service and no, you dont have to be gay to eat there which i am not [although if you are you might get an extra scoop of ice cream] :o

i have never ate the pate since i dont like pate. I love to take the french bread, hit the buffet, add salami, cheese and mustard and have a couple of those sandwiches before my entree.....miss them from the states

buffet also includes some decent deserts

Edited by Lost in LOS

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oliviers is cheap enough for all to try for yourselves. I think the buffet items are truly awful. I went a few times, the second time I took a good friend with good taste from San Francisco and her mouth watered when she SAW the buffet, but then upon eating it, she proclaimed it BAD.

There are some slightly better French places behing dot com. Better value for money anyways.

Agreed. You mean Tukcom on the side soi.

One of these is LUXOR which has only recently REDUCED its prices by a substantial amount. The food is Continental and the prices are so reasonable now.

If you haven't tried it, the food is really excellent and the comfort/decor/ambience/service is excellent as well.

There are some slightly better French places behing dot com. Better value for money anyways.

Agreed. You mean Tukcom on the side soi.

One of these is LUXOR which has only recently REDUCED its prices by a substantial amount. The food is Continental and the prices are so reasonable now.

If you haven't tried it, the food is really excellent and the comfort/decor/ambience/service is excellent as well.

I enjoy the Luxor but it is not French cuisine.

Wanted to share a few recent dining experiences. Please forgive any spelling errors in advance.

i had the set lunch yesterday at 'le Petite Planete' in the Soi next to Tuk Com and it was excellent

great value, very good service and delicious food

highly recommended

I think if we go back to Tequila Reef, it will be because we're in the area and I want a margarita. Not a place we'll have dinner again.
After trying the place three times now -- each time after somebody said, 'No, really, it's gotten good now' -- I've come to the same conclusion. Strictly mediocre.

Wanted to share a few recent dining experiences. Please forgive any spelling errors in advance.

i had the set lunch yesterday at 'le Petite Planete' in the Soi next to Tuk Com and it was excellent

great value, very good service and delicious food

highly recommended

I agree this is a good one except that the desserts are not very good. I find it better than Cuisine Au Buerre but Cuisine Au Buerre is more popular for some reason (both about the same price). I have heard the Bordeaux is the best on the street but haven't tried yet, somewhat more expensive but probably worth it. Please do not go to the Lounge Cafe (a trendy German/pasta place, a total ripoff).

I agree this is a good one except that the desserts are not very good. I find it better than Cuisine Au Buerre but Cuisine Au Buerre is more popular for some reason (both about the same price). I have heard the Bordeaux is the best on the street but haven't tried yet, somewhat more expensive but probably worth it. Please do not go to the Lounge Cafe (a trendy German/pasta place, a total ripoff).

Give the Bourdeaux a try and let us know what you think. I've had some good meals there. Quiet and with A/C as opposed to Cuisine Au Buerre which is outside and very noisy (although a good value).

patklang - I have a GREAT job in Thailand, seriously. Also a great gf, beautiful scenery, good health, etc. I have much to be thankful for, and I try to take nothing for granted. I don't think I'm spending 20k every week, but it is true that much of my disposable income goes to local restaurants and bars. Its what we enjoy that matters, right?

New review - Manhattan's

A total network failure at my job yesterday allowed me to leave much earlier than planned - no point in hanging about being unproductive. The lady and I went to Manhattan's (originally we were headed for Mata Hari's, but last minute change - no issue with Mata Hari's, and its still on the list).

The decor and atmosphere in Manhattan's is great. I like the shots of NY on the walls, and the etched glass on the wall between the restaurant and the pool. Staff were well dressed, spoke good English, and seemed very professional.

The wine: Of course, expensive as usual on the vino. We had a Penfold's Private Release Shiraz / Cabernet, 2007, on the ticket for 2400 baht (OUCH!! I can buy Penfold's for less than $15 US all day long at home, but here we are....). The wine was good, but didn't have as much body as the Tripudium we had at Toscana a few weeks back. A little sweetness from the Shiraz in the blend. Overall a good bottle.

The food: The girlfriend went for the avocado and prawn appetizer and the salmon fillet as a main course. I can't try the appetizer of course, but she said it was quite good. The presentation was great - complicated glassware arrangement including crushed ice under the bowl to keep things cool, nicely decorated and etc. Her main course looked good as well - a nice skin-on fillet, served on a dill sauce, with creamed potatoes and steamed veg to keep it company. Unfortunately, I did not taste it as I was busy with my own. She said it was very good, but a little too much to finish.

I ordered the 1350 baht set menu, which includes a caesar salad prepared tableside, a 200gr Waygu filet, and choice of sauce and potato, and a dessert (key lime pie for me). The salad was a non-event. Yes, its prepared tableside, but this doesn't have the same panache as a tableside flambe, preparation of fresh fish tableside, or teppanyaki tableside. Its just salad. That being said, the flavors did not impress. The romaine was quite fresh and good, but the all-important dressing just didn't have any flavor. They were generous with the parmesan and croutons, not so much with the bacon. I took a couple bites and put it away for removal.

When the entree arrived, it was a different story altogether. I allowed the waiter to grind a little fresh pepper over the steak, and that was all it needed. The presentation was a little stark - a relatively small diameter steak in the middle of a large white plate, accompanied by a tomato rose. The gratin potato and the blue cheese sauce were served on the side. The first bite of the steak made it all worth while. I ordered it medium, and it was perfectly cooked. Just a tiny bit of char / sear on the outside, juicy and tender on the inside, fantastically flavorful. The fresh pepper set it off just right. The gratin potatoes were okay, nothing to write home about, and I don't recommend the blue cheese sauce. Not very good. But the steak itself = excellent.

Dessert was great - the key lime pie was tart and sweet and delicious, but I couldn't finish it. Just too much. The bill was a little steep at almost 5100, but we don't spend like that every day, so an occasional indulgence is fine.

We liked this place, and will eventually be back.

Can anyone recommend a good Italian place, other than Toscana?

Ate at the recently opened Pattaya Steak House, north Pattaya road (between Dolphin roundabout and Lotus) a couple of evenings ago and wasn’t impressed. The restaurant wasn’t busy, one other table had customers. Several tables had not been cleared from previous diners and remained that way for the duration of our meal. The service was excruciatingly slow and inefficient. The only moment of lucid communication came when staff endeavoured to steer us towards more expensive imported beef.

The food took a long time to arrive and was not good. Grey, poor quality, over cooked (well done but asked for medium rare!) steaks and not much else to get excited about on the plate. The price for local steak, pepper sauce, baked (microwaved) potato and an excuse for a salad garnish is B259.00. If they are unable to cater for a few customers on a quiet night I dread to think what it would be like if they are ever busy! I won’t be returning. On this experience one to avoid.

Drove past recently and noticed that they are now offering a roadside BBQ.

I find that Manhattan's review hilarious. What percentage of us would feel satisfied spending 5000 baht at a steakhouse (for two) and only praising the overpriced wine, the meat, and the dessert and panning everything else? This is not real world Pattaya. I haven't been to Manhattans and will never go, but that meal sounds INEXCUSABLE for the price. At that price, EVERYTHING should be brilliant.

I find that Manhattan's review hilarious. What percentage of us would feel satisfied spending 5000 baht at a steakhouse (for two) and only praising the overpriced wine, the meat, and the dessert and panning everything else? This is not real world Pattaya. I haven't been to Manhattans and will never go, but that meal sounds INEXCUSABLE for the price. At that price, EVERYTHING should be brilliant.

Mr. thing,

Glad I could amuse you! We can all use a smile now and then, so you're welcome!

To each his (or her) own - I'm only offering up my experiences and opinions, and as always, your mileage may vary.

aussiechick, thanks for the recommendation for Italian. You and I are in sync at least as far as being Jameson's fans, so we'll give this one a whirl....provided of course that my infamous sense of direction doesn't get in the way!

patklang - I have a GREAT job in Thailand, seriously. Also a great gf, beautiful scenery, good health, etc. I have much to be thankful for, and I try to take nothing for granted. I don't think I'm spending 20k every week, but it is true that much of my disposable income goes to local restaurants and bars. Its what we enjoy that matters, right?

New review - Manhattan's

A total network failure at my job yesterday allowed me to leave much earlier than planned - no point in hanging about being unproductive. The lady and I went to Manhattan's (originally we were headed for Mata Hari's, but last minute change - no issue with Mata Hari's, and its still on the list).

The decor and atmosphere in Manhattan's is great. I like the shots of NY on the walls, and the etched glass on the wall between the restaurant and the pool. Staff were well dressed, spoke good English, and seemed very professional.

The wine: Of course, expensive as usual on the vino. We had a Penfold's Private Release Shiraz / Cabernet, 2007, on the ticket for 2400 baht (OUCH!! I can buy Penfold's for less than $15 US all day long at home, but here we are....). The wine was good, but didn't have as much body as the Tripudium we had at Toscana a few weeks back. A little sweetness from the Shiraz in the blend. Overall a good bottle.

The food: The girlfriend went for the avocado and prawn appetizer and the salmon fillet as a main course. I can't try the appetizer of course, but she said it was quite good. The presentation was great - complicated glassware arrangement including crushed ice under the bowl to keep things cool, nicely decorated and etc. Her main course looked good as well - a nice skin-on fillet, served on a dill sauce, with creamed potatoes and steamed veg to keep it company. Unfortunately, I did not taste it as I was busy with my own. She said it was very good, but a little too much to finish.

I ordered the 1350 baht set menu, which includes a caesar salad prepared tableside, a 200gr Waygu filet, and choice of sauce and potato, and a dessert (key lime pie for me). The salad was a non-event. Yes, its prepared tableside, but this doesn't have the same panache as a tableside flambe, preparation of fresh fish tableside, or teppanyaki tableside. Its just salad. That being said, the flavors did not impress. The romaine was quite fresh and good, but the all-important dressing just didn't have any flavor. They were generous with the parmesan and croutons, not so much with the bacon. I took a couple bites and put it away for removal.

When the entree arrived, it was a different story altogether. I allowed the waiter to grind a little fresh pepper over the steak, and that was all it needed. The presentation was a little stark - a relatively small diameter steak in the middle of a large white plate, accompanied by a tomato rose. The gratin potato and the blue cheese sauce were served on the side. The first bite of the steak made it all worth while. I ordered it medium, and it was perfectly cooked. Just a tiny bit of char / sear on the outside, juicy and tender on the inside, fantastically flavorful. The fresh pepper set it off just right. The gratin potatoes were okay, nothing to write home about, and I don't recommend the blue cheese sauce. Not very good. But the steak itself = excellent.

Dessert was great - the key lime pie was tart and sweet and delicious, but I couldn't finish it. Just too much. The bill was a little steep at almost 5100, but we don't spend like that every day, so an occasional indulgence is fine.

Good for you mate,watch the weight though,would be a shame if you were ill with such a good life.

The food would be much too rich for me as i love thai food too much and european food gives me such a bad stomach,and a good steak nearly kills me.6 years of spicy thai food is enough for my slim body.

My girlfriend enjoys western food and Thai food, but isn't a big fan of fast food, like burgers and pizza. She enjoys Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc. The only thing she doesn't want to try again is Russian, based on recent experience. She is a Thai native, from Bangkok, and she's the inspiration to make sure I follow your previous advice re: keeping the weight off. I have to thank her for introducing me to Thai food properly.

New review - Manhattan's

for italian try la dolce vita, soi 18 naklua, about 150 meters on the right hand side, have eaten here 3 times in the last 5 weeks and loved it each time

Quick update before I head out for Friday night funtime -

aussiechick, we have got to get recalibrated. Tried the Italian place you mentioned, and we didn't enjoy it at all. More details later, as we're late for drinking time.

New review - Manhattan's

Have to say I enjoyed your review. I too like to overindulge on special occasions and Manhattan's fits the bill especially if you miss quality steaks from your home country. Mata Hari's next door has good steaks too (and a better value) but not quite up to Manhattan's standard. They have a complimentary van pick-up and take-home service. You sit-on on leather seats with DVD's, stereo, etc......Oh Boy!!!

Can't think of anything special Italian but one place to avoid is the nice ambiance but over-priced, bland food....La Luna.

cochrane - dam_n, I always ate there when I was at Easyriders and sent friends as well who enjoyed it. Oh well, Jamesons, Nicky's (2 out of 3) and I hope you like the Mata Hari :o

Lucky I am not in town at the moment - Chiang Mai for work - and a few nights out eating!

New review - Manhattan's

Le Arcate on Thappraya road, about 1000 metres down the hill towards Pattaya from Manhattans and on the opposite side of the road

Keep in mind these are only my opinions, and your mileage may vary. Interested to hear from others.

I'm looking for a really good burger. Planning to try Bob's this week. Have heard about Rung's on the darkside, but every time I go over there, its closed.

i ate at Cafe Ritz in Jomtien Complex last night

everything was excellent as usual

John, the proprietor came over and sat with us for coffee and whilst he was with us, two diners from other groups came over and heartily congratulated him on the food etc.

one of them said it was the best food they had had whilst in Pattaya and from the depth of his suntan it looked like he had been here a while.

it was good mind.....

Alrighty then...I owe some details on Da Tiziano.

The restaurant was easy enough to find (thanks, aussiechick, for solid directions), and parking was absolutely no problem, for a change. The interior of the restaurant was clean, not too fancy, but in good shape and a pleasant atmosphere. The interior had no customers other than us when we arrived, but there was a party of four in the outside eating area.

The service was prompt, and our drink orders were filled quickly - a Singha for me and a tequila for the lady. For appetizers, we selected the tris de apetitosi (three slices of crostini, with cheese melted on top, and one slice each topped with anchovies, mushrooms, and parma ham) for me and cream of chicken soup for her. When the appetizers arrived, I was very surprised at the portion size on the crostini. I expected small slices from an Italian loaf, but these were huge slices of bread, well toasted. The toppings were not so good. Mushrooms tasted very canned, and the ham was just okay. The anchovies were standard - good fishy flavor, salty, etc. The anchovy one I finished. The ham I took off, and used the toasted bread with my entree. Left the mushroom one alone. My gf said the chicken soup was not good - nice creamy consistency, but the flavor was just not there.

For mains, I had the penne l'arrabiata and she had fried seafood. First problem: slow prep times, and in an empty restaurant. This is not too big a deal. After eating in German restaurants for over a month last winter, I understand glacial service, so Thailand is very good by comparison in general. Where this turned into a big problem for me was when my entree came out, and my girl's food was almost 15 minutes later getting to the table. That's not okay.

The pasta was cooked right - al dente and hot when it got to the table. The sauce just wasn't good. When you order l'arrabiata, you expect a little heat, and I didn't have any. The tomato flavor was there, but not pronounced (I know that's a terribly imprecise description, sorry.). The sauce was not overly oily, and there was a sufficient amount of sauce, just not very good. Didn't finish the dish.

On the fried seafood (shrimp and calamari mostly), the aroma and presentation were nice. Not overly breaded, not greasy. Unfortunately, also not too tasty. She did not finish her food either.

Overall, not a win. I've definitely had worse food, for sure, and we have to accept the occasional setback in our investigations of new venues. I really enjoy trying out places I haven't been before, and thanks again for all the recommendations. We left unsatisfied with the food, but happy with the progress on another place checked out.

For brunch today (11:00 am-ish) we went to Beefeater's. Once again, too early for the buffet brunch that starts at noon, but not willing to wait another hour for breakfast. I ordered the English breakfast with coffee and orange juice, and my girlfriend had orange juice and spaghetti carbonara (unusual brunch choice, but who am I to judge?). The food came reasonably quickly. Hers was served with an egg on the side for mixing in at the table, and looked great. Her verdict: it was okay, not great.

My food was decent, and there was one high point to be found - the bacon (but we'll get to that in a minute). The English breakfast comes on one plate, and is kind of all heaped up together. The beans are directly on the plate instead of a separate dish (you'd think by this time I'd remember to ask for it without beans!!), then the potatoes, sausage, and bacon are piled nearby, with the eggs on top. The eggs were served sunny side up, a little too done (lacy) on the bottom and a little too loose on top. Nicky's still has the edge on cooking eggs. The sausage was not so good - Nicky's and Jameson's still tied for first on that item. The potatoes were a generous portion, a little greasy, but good flavor. But the bacon was perfect. It was the streaky variety instead of back bacon, and was done just right - not too crisp, but well cooked. Tasty!! The orange juice was very good, and the coffee was better than average. Two very large slices of toast, served in a basket with butter and jam, completed the meal. Overall rating: Better than Apex Hotel's buffet, not as good as Nicky's, Jameson's, or Shenanigan's at the Avenue, or Pig & Whistle. Looking back, I guess that puts Beefeater's breakfast at last-but-one on the scale.

We may try Beefeaters again, but only for dinner or the brunch buffet. Not a do-over for breakfast. I still want to try Caddyshack for breakfast eventually.

In the quest for the best burger, April's entry will be Henry J. Beans. Should be tackling that Tuesday night-ish.

Keep the recommendations coming - we're planning to be out of Pattaya tonight and most of tomorrow, but the list - and the search - continue.

i ate at Cafe Ritz in Jomtien Complex last night

everything was excellent as usual

Among the best deals in town for price/quality for European style food. Actually I would call it British food in a continental style. So why hasn't our "Conde Naste" reviewer checked this place out yet?

I rather like Volterra at Soi Yensabai near Sunnee Plaza. Real Italian chef. Good risotto for a song and some regional Tusan specials you don't see everywhere.

http://www.pattayapeople.com/default.asp?F...;IdArticle=8911

Don't miss their dessert:

Panna Cotta al Cioccolato

Edited by Jingthing