Man Refused Service At Samui Immigration

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is a "Singlet" is that a vest or what?

I have never had any problems with service in thailand, but I think it is because I wear ski pants and a duffle coat with a furry hood.

edit: tattoos are for wanke_rs aren't they.

Edited by scottyd

... you can see hordes of tourists without shirts everywhere, on motorbikes as well...

Not wearing a shirt on a bike? Disgusting.

(Nice Armani underpants, by the way.)

While you were looking at his knockoff armani underpants :o , I was looking at the back of his head. The hairdo colouring. Take a closer look. Doesn't it look like a little skull staring back at you? The eye sockets etc. BTW, those are really crappy tats. They won't age well especially if he fattens up.

Always had good service from Immigration office in Samui whilist I was there. Fair play too them,you show no respect,and hey presto they show no respect. :o

Any idea from which country?? I recon the odds are ===

75% English,

10% German

5% French,

5% Russian

5% any body else.

He can't be English - he hasn't got a beer belly hanging over his shorts. :D

& he can't be German, he's not holding Hands with a Ladyboy... :D

Cut the guy a little slack. He is from a European country, he come to this heat straight from a cold winter, he is so happy he dont have to wear a shirt for 5 weeks this year, and probably had very little clue how rude it actually is considered to walk in immigration without a shirt. I dont want to defend the behavior, but cut him some slack.

What about the girls walking around in the beach, toppless in string? My wife says that is considered very rude in Thailand also, and for the icecream salesman or any other Thaiboy it means "you can fuc_k me whenever without asking". Even on the beach. But i bet none of these girls can even begin to think they are disrespectful to Thais by tanning on their beach and spending money.

I always thought it´s up to yourself to get the information on how to behaive when you visit a country. But i think a fair % of the tourists are just here because of the sun and couldn´t care less about Thai culture or Thai behavior. And if it so happens that they have to leave that sunny beach for an hour to go to immigration for the extra 5 days on their visa on arrival, they come without a shirt. But will most lightly not get any service. :o .

yes many dont realise that not wearing a shirt is frowned upon by thais,many know and dont care(these are the one's i dislike)thais will never put a warning in travel brochures etc for fear of putting off tourists coming here.

Remember many moons ago while traveling the greek islands,sitting outside a cafe drinking a beer and a greek priest came over and asked us to put our shirts on.

The thing is they do it in the west and think its ok to do here,and going to immigration shirtless is just plain disrespectful.

Cut the guy a little slack. He is from a European country, he come to this heat straight from a cold winter, he is so happy he dont have to wear a shirt for 5 weeks this year, and probably had very little clue how rude it actually is considered to walk in immigration without a shirt. I dont want to defend the behavior, but cut him some slack.

What about the girls walking around in the beach, toppless in string? My wife says that is considered very rude in Thailand also, and for the icecream salesman or any other Thaiboy it means "you can fuc_k me whenever without asking". Even on the beach. But i bet none of these girls can even begin to think they are disrespectful to Thais by tanning on their beach and spending money.

I always thought it´s up to yourself to get the information on how to behaive when you visit a country. But i think a fair % of the tourists are just here because of the sun and couldn´t care less about Thai culture or Thai behavior. And if it so happens that they have to leave that sunny beach for an hour to go to immigration for the extra 5 days on their visa on arrival, they come without a shirt. But will most lightly not get any service. :D .

It doesn't matter if it's Immigration or Macdonalds Mattias as that's not the point, no one wants to look at a 40 something European Male's Body ( i speak for myself here & others but not Mattias :o ) no matter where it is & no matter how hot or cold it is especially inside a Building & especially when his personal hygeine may be a problem especially with the heat as it is..

I think it was just actually a Global Common Courtesy to wear a Shirt indoors in public but obviously not..

In my opinion, this has nothing to do with Thai Culture or Thai behaviour & what they find or don't find offensive or unacceptable, it's Globally unacceptable & disrespectful..

To compare someone on a Beach topless to this Man in Immigration is nonsensical & not even worth an argument..

& honestly Mattias, does walking around topless really mean " you can <deleted> me whenever without asking " ??

Wow if true & if it does, it is an awful outlook irrespective of culture or behaviour & is a pretty Animalistic/Neanderthal way of thinking but hey, this is amazing Thailand & ***no need to bring mattias wife into this***--sbk

yes many dont realise that not wearing a shirt is frowned upon by thais,many know and dont care(these are the one's i dislike)thais will never put a warning in travel brochures etc for fear of putting off tourists coming here.

Remember many moons ago while traveling the greek islands,sitting outside a cafe drinking a beer and a greek priest came over and asked us to put our shirts on.

The thing is they do it in the west and think its ok to do here,and going to immigration shirtless is just plain disrespectful.

So let me get this right, it's fronwned upon by Thai's but they won't tell anyone because it might stop them taking money from the " offender's " pocket ??

Priceless.... :D

How is anyone actually meant to know then or are Farang now considered to be Psychic aswell as everything else ??

& samuibeachcomber, going anywhere except the Beach or certainly into a Public Building is just plain disrespectful..

Even Micky Mouse & Disney World wouldn't let you in if you done that so why should anyone else ?? :o

So let me get this right, it's fronwned upon by Thai's but they won't tell anyone because it might stop them taking money from the " offender's " pocket ??

How is anyone actually meant to know then or are Farang now considered to be Psychic aswell as everything else ??

& samuibeachcomber, going anywhere except the Beach or certainly into a Public Building is just plain disrespectful..

Even Micky Mouse & Disney World wouldn't let you in if you done that so why should anyone else ?? :D

i cant work out if you are agreeing with me or just taking the piss :o you know as well as i do that thais dont like making a fuss so they will not tell farang that it is frowned upon here.Did my post sound like i was in sympathy with the shirtless wonders? i dont think so.maybe thais are cleverer than us and just expect the farang tourists to use commonsense and decency,but as you and i know the foreign tourist does n't really care,there attitude is probably"were here and spending the money so we will do what we want".they are after all only doing what they do back home and we all know how society in the west is going down the gurgler.Have to say i found your reply odd to say the least.

Even Micky Mouse & Disney World wouldn't let you in if you done that so why should anyone else ?? :D

i cant work out if you are agreeing with me or just taking the piss :o you know as well as i do that thais dont like making a fuss so they will not tell farang that it is frowned upon here.Did my post sound like i was in sympathy with the shirtless wonders? i dont think so.maybe thais are cleverer than us and just expect the farang tourists to use commonsense and decency,but as you and i know the foreign tourist does n't really care,there attitude is probably"were here and spending the money so we will do what we want".they are after all only doing what they do back home and we all know how society in the west is going down the gurgler.Have to say i found your reply odd to say the least.

Not taking the p*ss Mate, not out of you anyway, 100%...

I'm just astonished ( well i shouldn't be but can't help to be ) at the mentality as usual but, when i think more about it & how you wrote it you may have hit the nail on the head & if the Thais are in the mindset that the Farang should use their common sense & decency & wear Shirts in public, then i for once am in total, total agreement with them..

But it just shows that all " Farang " are not actually the same & within Farangland, people have different Morals, Manners & Respect. :D

Edit : Obviously some Farang don't use their Common Sense, don't have respect for themselves let alone other people & don't adhere to this Global Common Courtesy & Respect that i thought & know existed/exists so it may be a good idea, when dealing with " Farang ", for that to be pointed out to the disrespectful in the Brochures, the Thai's won't be kicking up a fuss, just making things clear for those who need it to be...

Edited by MSingh

Not taking the p*ss Mate, not out of you anyway, 100%...

I'm just astonished ( well i shouldn't be but can't help to be ) at the mentality as usual but, when i think more about it & how you wrote it you may have hit the nail on the head & if the Thais are in the mindset that the Farang should use their common sense & decency & wear Shirts in public, then i for once am in total, total agreement with them..

But it just shows that all " Farang " are not actually the same & within Farangland, people have different Morals, Manners & Respect. :D

Edit : Obviously some Farang don't use their Common Sense, don't have respect for themselves let alone other people & don't adhere to this Global Common Courtesy & Respect that i thought & know existed/exists so it may be a good idea, when dealing with " Farang ", for that to be pointed out to the disrespectful in the Brochures, the Thai's won't be kicking up a fuss, just making things clear for those who need it to be...

apologies from me then,to be honest i dont know if the thais put it in any brochures or not,but yes i think it would be a good idea, in restuarants/bars too.As an aside can you imagine us trying to politely explain to farang here ,that it is not the done thing to go shirtless? probably end up getting a knucle sandwich!

As an aside can you imagine us trying to politely explain to farang here ,that it is not the done thing to go shirtless? probably end up getting a knucle sandwich!

I personally, honestly, would, even if it means confrontation because i beleive i'm/we're right in this..

& i'd use the " Have some respect " & i probably would also insult their personal hygeine as causing embaressment, i believe, will make people learn & if that led to confrontation, then it is what it is..

That's just my opinion on it though & is neither the right nor wrong way to deal with this situation..

I do find it unbelieveable however that we're even talking about this as i simply believe this should be people's initial way of thinking anyway to wear Shirts in Buildings ( & i don't just mean Immigration, i mean all Public Places except somewhere like teh Beach where some is getting a Tan or Swimming )..

I blame the Parents... :o

I believe now in some UK schools they are having to teach things like commonsense, conscience,the difference between right and wrong etc which is indeed a sad indictment on parenting or lack of it.they could also add,do unto others as you would like them to do unto you...............personally i think its all too late.....................time for the shotgun(make my day etc)..................you only have to see how some behave in the bars here and there attitude to the ladies working in them,very sad imo.and of course they are the shirtless wonders.have a good day,MSingh.

I believe now in some UK schools they are having to teach things like commonsense, conscience,the difference between right and wrong etc which is indeed a sad indictment on parenting or lack of it.they could also add,do unto others as you would like them to do unto you...............personally i think its all too late.....................time for the shotgun(make my day etc)..................you only have to see how some behave in the bars here and there attitude to the ladies working in them,very sad imo.and of course they are the shirtless wonders.have a good day,MSingh.

Very true & very sad..

Certainly not just the UK contingent though i may add, there's bad apples in every bunch, including ( & some would argue especially ) the Scandi's who just because many have beautiful blonde Hair, beautiful Tans & a 6 Pack, seem to think they should be modelling for Calvin Klein & it's regualry ok to have their Tops off & a prime example was when i was in Mama's Burgers yesterday where a young Swede proceded to sit himself down in front of our Table waiting for a Take Away, whilst we were eating, with his beautiful hair & beautiful Tan, no Shirt in sight, with i assume his GF who put a Shirt on over her Bikini when she entered the Building, but he started to flex his Muscles etc &, for want of a better word, big up his chest & self..

Patheticly Veign & insecure Human Being who should have took a leaf out of his GF's book...

Have a good weekend people.. :o

and trousers as well. In the seventies and eighties beaches on the Greek islands were packed with naked backpackers and hippies. It was paradise for us, not so for the elder Greeks.

In Matala/Creta young naked hippies used to live for months in caves next the beach - totally conflicting to the conservative Greek inhabitants over there, who chased them away one day with their hay-forks.

It's understandable, that Thais have their decency, in which shirtless is no no. But that Farangs here complain about that, is strange. Samui is a relaxed beach destination for many people from cold countries. After months in the cold and many cloths layers, they want to enjoy the heat with as less as possible.

I really don't care if someone wears a shirt or not. It's totally up to everyone. And who says people with shirts are cleaner?

Years back when I used to work in Songhla I would regularly travel via Had Yai airport.. On the wall in the passport control area was a big carved wooden sign ... I can't remember it verbatim and I have wished many times that I had photographed it.. But is said something along the lines of People with long hair, scruffy dress, no shoes, torn clothing or desreputable demenour would not be permitted entry into the Kingdom of Thailand.. Even back in 89 this caused many a wry smile as you only had to look around the hall to see all manner of travellers and scruffy backpacker types.. The sign must have been a relic from the 70's when hippies were often prevented from entering Thailand and travelling in Asia..

Whe the airport was modernised the sign sadly disapeared.. Would have made a great conversation piece.. Maybe it's sitting in some Govt storeroom or local 'khong Gao' dealer ?

Years back when I used to work in Songhla I would regularly travel via Had Yai airport.. On the wall in the passport control area was a big carved wooden sign ... I can't remember it verbatim and I have wished many times that I had photographed it.. But is said something along the lines of People with long hair, scruffy dress, no shoes, torn clothing or desreputable demenour would not be permitted entry into the Kingdom of Thailand.. Even back in 89 this caused many a wry smile as you only had to look around the hall to see all manner of travellers and scruffy backpacker types.. The sign must have been a relic from the 70's when hippies were often prevented from entering Thailand and travelling in Asia..

Whe the airport was modernised the sign sadly disapeared.. Would have made a great conversation piece.. Maybe it's sitting in some Govt storeroom or local 'khong Gao' dealer ?

Here you go. :o

those were the days.remember not being allowed out of singapore airport cos of long hair,and having it cut by a immigration guy in the toilets.signs in their post offices saying people with long hair would served last,but it was ok to go to the local whore house and pick your girl.

but those were the standards(re hair) and you had to abide by them.I think it would be good if the thais did the same,and put up signs re dress standards.

Mama's Burgers yesterday where a young Swede proceded to sit himself down in front of our Table waiting for a Take Away, whilst we were eating, with his beautiful hair & beautiful Tan, no Shirt in sight, with i assume his GF who put a Shirt on over her Bikini when she entered the Building, but he started to flex his Muscles etc &, for want of a better word, big up his chest & self..

So, msingh, whilst you were eating, you interrupted your meal to ask these nasty people where they came from? Or how do you know they were Swedes?

Mama's Burgers yesterday where a young Swede proceded to sit himself down in front of our Table waiting for a Take Away, whilst we were eating, with his beautiful hair & beautiful Tan, no Shirt in sight, with i assume his GF who put a Shirt on over her Bikini when she entered the Building, but he started to flex his Muscles etc &, for want of a better word, big up his chest & self..

So, msingh, whilst you were eating, you interrupted your meal to ask these nasty people where they came from? Or how do you know they were Swedes?

The Thailand Guide in Swedish with the Flag in it that the Girl had gave it away Mattias... :o

But of course, they may have been from Swaziland & juts happened to have a Swedish Guide Book... :D

Certainly not just the UK contingent though i may add, there's bad apples in every bunch, including ( & some would argue especially ) the Scandi's who just because many have beautiful blonde Hair, beautiful Tans & a 6 Pack, seem to think they should be modelling for Calvin Klein & it's regualry ok to have their Tops off & a prime example was when i was in Mama's Burgers yesterday where a young Swede proceded to sit himself down in front of our Table waiting for a Take Away, whilst we were eating, with his beautiful hair & beautiful Tan, no Shirt in sight, with i assume his GF who put a Shirt on over her Bikini when she entered the Building, but he started to flex his Muscles etc &, for want of a better word, big up his chest & self..

...mhm...

get over it, relax, don't let yourself into the MJ attitude.

Amazing... pretty much every tour book, Thai Tourist website and any Thai, tourist and farang expat will tell you in Thai culture modesty is well accepted and the reverse...well....not so much.

Not only is the no shirt a no-no, but NO SHORTS EITHER!!! IMMIGRATION IS A GOVERNMENT OFFICE UNDER THE KING!!!

Showing a disrepect in a government office as the same as showing disrespect to the King, and if you're going to do that, you might as well as stay home in your own country.

We do not need anymore visual pollution in Thailand.

Shirt covering shoulders, pants/trousers covering all of your legs for all government offices, Royal buildings including museums and of course all Thai Buddhist Wat Temples.

WHENEVER IN DOUBT IN THAILAND...LOOK AROUND AND SEE WHAT THE THAI PEOPLE ARE DOING...USUALLY A SAFE BET...USUALLY. :o

Amazing... pretty much every tour book, Thai Tourist website and any Thai, tourist and farang expat will tell you in Thai culture modesty is well accepted and the reverse...well....not so much.

Not only is the no shirt a no-no, but NO SHORTS EITHER!!! IMMIGRATION IS A GOVERNMENT OFFICE UNDER THE KING!!!

Showing a disrepect in a government office as the same as showing disrespect to the King, and if you're going to do that, you might as well as stay home in your own country.

We do not need anymore visual pollution in Thailand.

Shirt covering shoulders, pants/trousers covering all of your legs for all government offices, Royal buildings including museums and of course all Thai Buddhist Wat Temples.

WHENEVER IN DOUBT IN THAILAND...LOOK AROUND AND SEE WHAT THE THAI PEOPLE ARE DOING...USUALLY A SAFE BET...USUALLY. :o

1.We are talking about Samui not about the rest of Thailand

2.Shorts are ok at least on Samui, believe me.

3.The only government office some tourists see, is the immigration and nobody will check before how Thai people are dressed there. It would be pointless as well, because no Thai will be there asking for visa service.

4.Have you ever lived on Samui?

5.Who is we?