Canon G10 - First Impressions

Kf6vci

Bought one new for 16,400 Baht. This small camera seems to be quite capable. anyone not wanting a SLR might want to consider it.

Cheers, Chris

For what is worth, I've seen some very good underwater pictures taken with a G10. Excellent image quality for the camera format.

Bought one new for 16,400 Baht. This small camera seems to be quite capable. anyone not wanting a SLR might want to consider it.

Cheers, Chris

For what is worth, I've seen some very good underwater pictures taken with a G10. Excellent image quality for the camera format.

it certainly not doing anyone in the samples any favours!!!

Where did you pick it up ??

Can you create a shallow depth of field shot with it ?? Aperture priority lowest f stop and tele ???

I know its not an SLR but I want something I can carry.. Thinking of grabbing one of these.

• 3 weeks later...

I am a fairly serious (limited by money) semi-pro photographer. I have made enough to pay for my kit and had a few exhibitions, and that's about it - so I am no expert! I shall confine my comments, therefore to the practical andd not get technical.

But my impressions of the G10, which I borrowed the other day, were that it was a fun camera to use with lots of options to play about with. Excellent in good light but not so good in picking detail out of dark shadows. Really weak in poor light. Slow lens does this. Because of the focal lenghth it is not the easiest to get the blurred back ground refered to in a previous post. Lens is a bit of an all rounder - which could be good. Reasonable for landscape and portrait work.

I am also looking at the Panasonic Lumix lx3. This has a faster lens and is definately better in low light, but has restricted zoom. It does come up well for landscapes though with its wider scope.

Both are good cameras, for a point and shoot type. The Lumix is a little smaller and does fit in a pocket easier. Because I hate using flash and take a lot of low light and indoor shots I will most likely go with the Lumix. But I really don't think you can go wrong with either of them. If you use RAW files you will get much better results with any camera - these cameras can both work with RAW files.

I am needing to replace my trusty Canon Powershot IS5 - one of the best valued point and shoot cameras I have ever come accross.

I use these cameras as a back up and for when I am just out and about as my 5D and 30D are just too big to carry about sometimes.

"Mousehound" is dead right about the G10.

I've recently acquired it as a "point and shoot around town" camera. Fantastic build quality and a real cool retro style. Exceptionally well spec'd.

HOWEVER - noise. I was stunned to see noise even at the base 80 iso and anything above 400 iso is unusable. I haven't yet developed any RAW files (stuck in the hotel on my laptop) but I'm praying C1 and neat image can help out.

I love the facility to shoot RAW and jpegs together, to zoom in on liveview, grid lines and histogram all on tap and a very good zoom range (28mm - 140mm equiv.). The flash is superb, the best I've ever seen on built in flash.

Solid feel and easy to handle but the noise thing is a concern

I've got an option to return it for an LX3 if all falls :o

Edited by The Vulcan

I used to have a G9 which I was quite happy with. Last summer it was unfortunately stolen ..... My first impuls was to buy the camera again, then I heard rumors of an Upgrade by Canon, so I waited.

Then the Panasonic LX3 was announced. I had a Pana TZ 3 some time ago, and I was less than impressed by its high Noise and even higher destructive in-Camera NR routines, o I was sceptical first.

Later the G10 was announced, with even more megapixels crammed in such a small sensor. Also turned out that my still available Filter and Lens Adapter could not be used with the G10.

So, one day in Bangkok I bought the LX3. I really love this Camera, IMHO the best advanced pocketable camera ever! Yes, a longer Tele would be nice, but other than that, there is simply no comparison in IQ and handling with anything else on the market, and yes, I had a hands-on test with the G10 as well.

Sunny

I had a G7 that I left on a bus in Denmark recently, and I decided to replace it with a G10. Some people tell me the G10 is the best Digital compact camera ever built, others don't agree. Only history will give us the answer to that.

As I am not the greatest photographer, I do like to crop my images to get something more pleasant to look at, therefore the 14.7 Mega Pixel image is very useful to me.

Some things I like are the new hand-grip, it certainly is feature packed and the very strong body, although that adds to the overall weight, it also makes the unit less likely to damage being knocked around. The different options for focus and exposure also make the experience easier with somewhat more control. The full "Auto" mode also makes it easy for my Tee-Ruk to take the odd photo. The large LCD display and the very good wide angle options are also features for me.

The things I don't like are the noise, and the very poor video options. There are some ways to reduce the noise, however, the video options I find aggravating. Things like, there is no wide screen options and you cannot zoom the lens either in or out once you have started shooting. In the day and age of wide screen this is not good. Also with playback, there is no option to select wide screen so therefore if you are showing the pics or movies on a wide screen TV then they will be stretched. So in summary, it will not be anything like a replacement for a cheap camcorder.

In Summary, if you can live with the noise, and its not as bad as others and you aren't all that interested in shooting Video (I am not as I own a Sony HD-SR12 Camcorder) then it is a good selection.

This is a shot I took last night of the storm rolling along the sky. My attempt was to get a lightning strike, but I was a little slow setting up the tripod for the time exposure. I forced the exposure to be 15 seconds by adding the ND filter, and of course because of the low light, then the image will be a little grainy.

post-73397-1239678606_thumb.jpg

No artistic attempt on these shots but a good example of the G10's ability.

The first shot demonstrates the shadow/highlight and CA which I think is very good for a 16k compact. The sun was really strong on the side of the building and the shadows were nigh on black.

Close ups of the same building show good colours and contrast also

Coffee cup demonstrates superb flash control on a difficult white and highly refletive subject shot at close range - (first shot no flash - second with flash) - not bad imho. I've left the flash spots in just as evidence!

CA is significant but correctable as is noise.

My early opinions are that I'm very happy with the G10 as a walkabout P&S

ALL images are jpegs straight from the camera with only CA and noise corrections. No sharpening, curves etc.

Edited by The Vulcan

And finally, here's the RAW ability

Shot wide open (i.e. F4.5 and 28mm) base 80 iso, camera auto exposure

Neat Image noise reduction, a bit of capture sharpening as I turn off the in-camera sharpening, , and basic processing in CS3

Bearing in mind the contrast range I reckon the retained detail is exceptional. Highlights well controlled, shadows have detail and the squeaky little sparrow still has not become a silhouette :o

IMHO not bad - what do you guys think?

This camera is growing on me. The image stabilisation is awesome.

Shot tonight at 80 ISO, F2.8 and 1/2 second (yes half a second) HANDHELD ! You can see the movement of the person in the top right as evidence. And it's sharp at F2.8.

Pretty impressive in my opinion.

Image titled "Onlookers"

Edited by The Vulcan

And finally, here's the RAW ability

Shot wide open (i.e. F4.5 and 28mm) base 80 iso, camera auto exposure

Neat Image noise reduction, a bit of capture sharpening as I turn off the in-camera sharpening, , and basic processing in CS3

Bearing in mind the contrast range I reckon the retained detail is exceptional. Highlights well controlled, shadows have detail and the squeaky little sparrow still has not become a silhouette :D

IMHO not bad - what do you guys think?

Those two shots are a great demo of the camera and your ability.

Sammy Sparrow still has colour, amazing!

Thanks for sharing. :o

gd

"Mousehound" is dead right about the G10.

I've recently acquired it as a "point and shoot around town" camera. Fantastic build quality and a real cool retro style. Exceptionally well spec'd.

HOWEVER - noise. I was stunned to see noise even at the base 80 iso and anything above 400 iso is unusable. I haven't yet developed any RAW files (stuck in the hotel on my laptop) but I'm praying C1 and neat image can help out.

I love the facility to shoot RAW and jpegs together, to zoom in on liveview, grid lines and histogram all on tap and a very good zoom range (28mm - 140mm equiv.). The flash is superb, the best I've ever seen on built in flash.

Solid feel and easy to handle but the noise thing is a concern

I had another go with a friends G10. As you say pixel noise is the devil.

My impressions were that it is a great camera in full light but in the shade, even in the middle of the day, it struggles. Excellent, if a bit over saturated colour. Performs well with RAW, which you need if you want definition in the shadows.

After much "discussion" I am drawn more and more to the lx3. Even though I am a "Canon fanatic" the wide angle, and fast lens, really is the decider for me. But, if you want a water-proof housing then I would go with the G10.

I've got an option to return it for an LX3 if all falls :o

www.meetup.com

I used to have a G9 which I was quite happy with. Last summer it was unfortunately stolen ..... My first impuls was to buy the camera again, then I heard rumors of an Upgrade by Canon, so I waited.

Then the Panasonic LX3 was announced. I had a Pana TZ 3 some time ago, and I was less than impressed by its high Noise and even higher destructive in-Camera NR routines, o I was sceptical first.

Later the G10 was announced, with even more megapixels crammed in such a small sensor. Also turned out that my still available Filter and Lens Adapter could not be used with the G10.

So, one day in Bangkok I bought the LX3. I really love this Camera, IMHO the best advanced pocketable camera ever! Yes, a longer Tele would be nice, but other than that, there is simply no comparison in IQ and handling with anything else on the market, and yes, I had a hands-on test with the G10 as well.

Sunny

For depth of field and lower noise, the LX3 is one I'd like to try. Where did you buy yours, Sunny? And the price, if you don't mind saying?

Sunny

For depth of field and lower noise, the LX3 is one I'd like to try. Where did you buy yours, Sunny? And the price, if you don't mind saying?

I may be wrong but I believe I saw one in Fotofile only a few weeks ago. Might be worth a phone call?

Sunny

Bought it at Zoom Camera back last October. Price was a little over 17000 Bt, including a 2 GB card.

Sunny

And anyone knows where I can get Sigma DP-1 and its accessories (lens hood, view finder, etc) in LOS?

They have one in Big Pro Camera, Pattaya; so expect any branch of Big Camera could acquire one for you. I bought mine from Hong Kong via eBay. Even with courier and tax (based on creative valuation by the seller), it was cheaper than buying here. Arrived 36 hours after I ordered it. I bought the hood from eBay too. I bought the Voightlander viewfinder, cheaper than the Sigma version and metal rather than plastic. Bought it from Cameraquest.com

It produces stunning images; just a little slow in operation. I shall be tempted to get the DP2 when it is released too.

I was at Suvarnabhumi last night catching a domestic flight and noticed that King Power was selling the LX3 for 20,500 baht, which seems like a good price.

a friend just bought one a panthip for 16,500.

20,500 is even more than i paid for mine off ebay with leather case when it was just released.

Not particularly good with action I'm afraid!

1/640th @F4 and still couldn't freeze it.

Try as I did, I couldn't get a sharp shot - my kid nearly drowned in the effort :D

This photo is much sharper than the ones I take of someone sitting still! :o

I like it, it´s like the girl is hanging in the hair!

:D:D:D

• 2 weeks later...

My GF and I finally bought one for doing underwater photography, we haven't had much time for that unfortunately, just a little snorkelling near Chumphon on so-so water, not ver ygood pictures out of that.

However I've taken some shots in dry land and I'm quite satisfied with it. Of course it doesn't match the quality of our DSLR but then again, it's a rather unfair comparison.

The macro mode is quite good, although focusing on small objects can be tricky and the manual focus is a bit cumbersome. Last weekend I took some pictures of dragonflies at the Suan Rod Fai park.

Dragonfly3of4Resize.jpg

And a crop at full resolution, there's some noise but not so bad all things considered.

Dragonfly3of4Crop.jpg

Another one, this one was hard to focus since the automatic focus wanted to concentrate on the background instead of the dragonfly.

Dragonfly4of4Resize.jpg

And again a crop at full resolution, I would say that the head is about 3mm across or less.

Dragonfly4of4crop.jpg

Very good - and as you say it's a compact. Pretty noise free as well. I've been experimenting with the noise problem and have found that if you over expose by 1/3rd - 2/3rd then adjust the over -exposure in (say) Photoshop that the noise up to 400 asa disappears - might be worth a look at if your in dim conditions.

I shot this off today as the lighting was eextreme from shadow to highlight - you can see that I've boosted the exposure by 2 stops on the close -up, (and it's a big close up) and still NO NOISE.

If you're doing macro take a look at this site which may be of interest

http://lightdescription.blogspot.com/2009/04/1-2-4-10.html