Access Fees

chico

<deleted>...

There's quite a strong wind outside today...

I think I'll go and piss in it.  :D

i would change the direction :D:o

Hahahahahaa.....

Sorry... I was getting a bit tired of the same-old same-old stuff! :D

wasn't meant personal, just trying to be helpful - and yes, i agree, knowing the outcome, i wouldn't have started it! :D

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been a victim of the double pricing scheme as well since first coming here in 1999. There is an interesting article on this on Bangkok Phil's website (bangkokmouth.com) which states that most Thais disagree with the whole system and that is probably true. I try to patronize those places that charge the same price regardless of where you're from. As other posters have said, having a bit of Thai language knowledge coupled with perhaps a driver's license and WP may very often get you lower fees. Some places are notorious for overcharging, and very often it's private firms...Safari World and Siam Water Park spring to mind.

It's a vicious cycle...the Thai Gov steals from it's own citizens (putting people's tax money into their pockets, etc) and the citizens who own businesses turn around and rip people off (mostly farangs). After living here for a while I think most folks will spot these scumbags pretty easily although some of them do have ingenious ways of ripping you off.

Boycotting, if done on a grand scale, would probably have a positive affect but for every one of us who stands up to this BS policy, there are ten who give into it (often unknowingly). The fair price website is a good start...keep it up! :o

Further to this subject, I spoke with my teeruk last night about the issue (as it was still running around in my mind), and a couple of things came to light...

First, I was incorrect in my earlier posting of how much I was charged (after showing WP, explaining I paid tax and social security, speaking Thai etc)... it was 20 baht... Thai price. :D

Second, she too echoes the sentiments expressed by Thaiboxer... most Thais disagree with the double standard pricing system but as "big people" control the show, there's very little they can do about it. :o

And what's 200 baht to the average farang, anyway - 4 euros, <£3, fistful of dollars, half-an-hour's wages - same as 20 baht is for the average Thai.

It's people like you who bend over and ask for more that are the reason this continues. If none of us put up with it things might change. They just need one guy to wuss out and pay the 200bt and they've made up for the 10 who didn't.

While you're in there please pick up some garbage.

cv

or of course you could stop whinging about other peoples countries and go home

I love doing business with people who have your attitude. You can pull whatever you like on them and all they reply is:

"Please sir, can I have some more?"   

Don't do to others what you don't like getting done to yourself.

There's a difference... I don't let them.

cv

Russian Mafia are we Sir? :D

or maybe not realizing someone is doing...?? :o:D

I've said it before, and I'll say it again....

Where do you think I learned to bitch in the first place?

I'm just not one to roll over and die regardless of what country I'm in. If you want to be weak and let others screw you over, fine. I'd rather winge than be a wuss.

cv

Further to this subject, I spoke with my teeruk last night about the issue (as it was still running around in my mind), and a couple of things came to light...

First, I was incorrect in my earlier posting of how much I was charged (after showing WP, explaining I paid tax and social security, speaking Thai etc)... it was 20 baht... Thai price.  :D

Second, she too echoes the sentiments expressed by Thaiboxer... most Thais disagree with the double standard pricing system but as "big people" control the show, there's very little they can do about it.  :o

gee, i am glad you say that, since after moving from pattaya to isaan i had that feeling too, but was not sure of maybe putting too much into it! :D

people here tend to appreciate farangs (at least at times)

First, I was incorrect in my earlier posting of how much I was charged (after showing WP, explaining I paid tax and social security, speaking Thai etc)... it was 20 baht... Thai price.  :D

Second, she too echoes the sentiments expressed by Thaiboxer... most Thais disagree with the double standard pricing system but as "big people" control the show, there's very little they can do about it.  :o

gee, i am glad you say that, since after moving from pattaya to isaan i had that feeling too, but was not sure of maybe putting too much into it! :D

After my visit last week back to the village, I can categorically (not sure of spelling there!) agree... the local Isaan villagers really do appreciate us paying them a visit.

The first time for me was a few years ago and I felt like a bit of a celebrity/oddity at the time, but now, I do a run around the streets on the motosai and am recognised and greeted by everyone.

It's a good thing. :D

Sorry folks, slightly off subject there... :D

*sigh* I see the "stop whinging and go home" crowd is getting much slower these days. It took 66 posts before they started their all-to-familiar "whinge."

The all too familiar whinge is aimed at those with the all too familiar complaints about Thailand.

I agree, if you cannot hack it and think Thailand was invented for the pleasure of yourselves, then get to Don Muang as soon as possible and sod off !

Go back to your own countries that where so great you had to leave them.

Then again, you cannot get a woman 30 years younger than you in your own countries, unless you are very rich, right?

But in Thailand you can use your money to exploit financially vunerable people when you pay for sex, yet you think that type of exploitation is fine. Just as long as you are not charged 200 Baht to get into a national park.

Go Home.

After my visit last week back to the village, I can categorically (not sure of spelling there!) agree... the local Isaan villagers really do appreciate us paying them a visit. 

The first time for me was a few years ago and I felt like a bit of a celebrity/oddity at the time, but now, I do a run around the streets on the motosai and am recognised and greeted by everyone.

It's a good thing.  :o

Yep, out of the tourist areas things are different, but that is no surprise.

I can remember Japanese tourists being charged 20 times the real price for an ice-cream in Trafalger Square in london.

Oh, I forgot, Western people are not into exploiting others are they, I will think about that again when I am witnessing some big fat old grey haired white hulk trying to get laid with a poor teen girl on Pattaya Beach Road, offering her 300 baht instead of the 500 she wanted.

Yep these Thai's sure do exploit us good western people.

It's a good thing. :D

Sorry folks, slightly off subject there... :D

have to stay alittle bit longer of the subject too :

a good sign of us being accepted is, when they start copying what we are doing :

we planted vegetables in the garden and flowers in front of the house, now many start planting them too.

we put one of this green trash "containers", after three month the village started putting them in front of every house, but ours : when we asked, why not for us?

the head of the village answered "you have already one, but we want all others to keep the places clean too!" :D:D

have to stay  alittle bit longer of the subject too :

a good sign of us being accepted is, when they start copying what we are doing :

we planted vegetables in the garden and flowers in front of the house, now many start planting them too.

we put one of this green trash "containers", after three month the village started putting them in front of every house, but ours : when we asked, why not for us?

the head of the village answered "you have already one, but we want all others to keep the places clean too!" :D  :D

Sounds like you really bring up the quality of the neighbourhood. Hopefully you'll pick up some good habits from them and everyone will come out the better. :o

cv

Go back to your own countries that where so great you had to leave them
They won't go back because of the unfair baht1000 airport tax they are charging in Don Muang.
But in Thailand you can use your money to exploit financially vunerable people when you pay for sex, yet you think that type of exploitation is fine. Just as long as you are not charged 200 Baht to get into a national park.
How true! But I bet they are going to say it's the thais' fault of their greed.

Oh yes, it's the principle! XXXX the principle! Where on earth do people get this deal for only 200 Baht? In Europe? Yeah it's only fair when everyone gets ripped off!

Oh, I forgot, Western people are not into exploiting others are they, I will think about that again when I am witnessing some big fat old grey haired white hulk trying to get laid with a poor teen girl on Pattaya Beach Road, offering her 300 baht instead of the 500 she wanted.

Yep these Thai's sure do exploit us good western people.

Good point there...Westerners do expliot others in many cases and we in turn are exploited by the citizens of foreign countries, however this is more of a collective problem that is not perpetrated by all individuals involved in the rip-off scheme. Personally, I don't live the lifestyle of many foreign residents who visit seedy places and use the services of prostitutes therefore I'm not exploiting the poor Thais who work in those places. Like most other posters on here, I only ask for the same fair price a Thai would pay in the retail/hospitality industries.

Thailand benefits greatly from the money tourists spend here every year and would no doubt benefit from being a destination where people are not charged a price based on their foreign status. Being fair will win in the long run. :o

the head of the village answered "you have already one, but we want all others to keep the places clean too!" :D  :D

How do you keep those pesky roving chickens out of the veggie patch? :o

Sounds like you really bring up the quality of the neighbourhood. Hopefully you'll pick up some good habits from them and everyone will come out the better. :D

cv

maybe we can spare some people and send them overseas for teaching there? :D:o

Personally, I don't live the lifestyle of many foreign residents who visit seedy places and use the services of prostitutes therefore I'm not exploiting the poor Thais who work in those places. Like most other posters on here, I only ask for the same fair price a Thai would pay in the retail/hospitality industries.

Hear hear!!! :o

How do you keep those pesky roving chickens out of the veggie patch? :o

i've set a wall (iron in the front) all around, for two reasons:

keep the chickens out

keep my dogs in and other dogs out

works perfectly :D

I agree with you 100%, Moog. Several countries have done exactly that: Turkey and Brazil are two, I believe, that charge foreigners the same price for tourist visas as their nationals are charged for visas. Brazil also fingerprints US visitors, as Brazlians are subjected to the same indignity when they visit the US. Good on 'em, I say!

Personally, I don't live the lifestyle of many foreign residents who visit seedy places and use the services of prostitutes therefore I'm not exploiting the poor Thais who work in those places. Like most other posters on here, I only ask for the same fair price a Thai would pay in the retail/hospitality industries.

Hear hear!!! :o

As do many, many others. Unfortunately, dr john (i wish he'd stop soiling the good name of John) and his "go home" gang think that EVERYONE here is as he distortedly describes.

I can only suppose it's because it's the type that HE hangs around.

:o going to Koh Samet, arriving at the island and driving to a resort, one is stopped at the entrance of the "national park" (covering almost the whole island including all beaches, resorts etc) :

Thais pay 20bt, Farang 200bt, - the fee is to keep the island clean!

Now that I understand, since every weekend , hundreds of thai clans invade the beaches with all their home cooked meals, living all their trash where they have been sitting, whereas farang normally go to the restaurants to eat ?

Why are we paying everywhere around  5 to 10 times more than thais?

Never had a problem with this providing you have a Thai family

or are with other thai friends.They seem to take care of it.

NB :D

:o going to Koh Samet, arriving at the island and driving to a resort, one is stopped at the entrance of the "national park" (covering almost the whole island including all beaches, resorts etc) :

Now that I understand, since every weekend , hundreds of thai clans invade the beaches with all their home cooked meals, living all their trash where they have been sitting, whereas farang normally go to the restaurants to eat ?

sorry, it looks like i could not express myself good enough : i am not whining about it (i do can afford it), i am not complaining either, i was just asking if anyone could give me an understable reason for it being that way? :D

sorry, it looks like i could not express myself good enough : i am not whining about it (i do can afford it), i am not complaining either, i was just asking if anyone could give me an understable reason for it being that way? :D

I guess the answer is farangs are much richer in their opinion and they want to make more money. Yes, it's unfair. But.....big deal???