Access Fees

chico

:o going to Koh Samet, arriving at the island and driving to a resort, one is stopped at the entrance of the "national park" (covering almost the whole island including all beaches, resorts etc) :

Thais pay 20bt, Farang 200bt, - the fee is to keep the island clean!

Now that I understand, since every weekend , hundreds of thai clans invade the beaches with all their home cooked meals, living all their trash where they have been sitting, whereas farang normally go to the restaurants to eat ?

Why are we paying everywhere around 5 to 10 times more than thais?

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:o going to Koh Samet, arriving at the island and driving to a resort, one is stopped at the entrance of the "national park" (covering almost the whole island including all beaches, resorts etc) :

Now that I understand, since every weekend , hundreds of thai clans invade the beaches with all their home cooked meals, living all their trash where they have been sitting, whereas farang normally go to the restaurants to eat ?

Why are we paying everywhere around  5 to 10 times more than thais?

Its there country. If you take the speed boat over then usually you dont have to pay. Not always though.

Why are we paying everywhere around  5 to 10 times more than thais?

Its there country. If you take the speed boat over then usually you dont have to pay. Not always though.

Nonsense! England is my country, do Thais have to pay ten times more to enter Lands End (Cornwall) or lets say the London Eye, the answer is NO.

It is a blatant rip off but what can you do other than boycott the place.

Nonsense! England is my country, do Thais have to pay ten times more to enter Lands End (Cornwall) or lets say the London Eye, the answer is NO.

Then write to your MP and to the Foreign Minister, Jack Straw.

Get them to bring it up next time the Thai's want a concession.

Suggest that Thai's should not be allowed to own land in the UK until

we can own land here, etc!!

Ps You are right about who leaves the rubbish!!

I just got back from a week up-country.

Went to Khaow Yai National Park on the way back.

Entrance Fee: 20 baht for Thais, 200 baht for falung. :o

Showed them my Work Permit and explained that as I paid Thai tax and Social Security and wasn't a tourist, did I have to pay 200 baht?

I ended up paying 50 baht.

A happy compromise for all. :D

Exactly

Also learn Thai

Took the sprog to see the Pandas scratching their..in CNX zoo. Wanted some exorbitant sum....said to wife, in Thai, Pandas more afraid of farang than Thais are they?...oooh farang speaks Thai....same price as Thais...however arriving at Pandas nipper had no ticket..only 2 and a half ...wife sent back to purchase one....oh! no-one told you did they...wife not amused.

Then write to your MP and to the Foreign Minister, Jack Straw.

Get them to bring it up next time the Thai's want a concession.

Suggest that Thai's should not be allowed to own land in the UK until

we can own land here, etc!!

Ps You are right about who leaves the rubbish!!

I couldn't be arsed to write to any MP to tell you the truth. I dont have faith in any of them. If I come across something discriminating like the above :o I just dont pay, therefore I dont enter, its not the end of the world.

If all foreign visitors did the same maybe those responsible for the fee hikes might feel it in their pockets and do something about it, until then they will continue to rip the foreigner.

There was a report some time ago about a retired americian tourist "doing" Thailand (prob.called Elmer) who was told not pay more than 5 when you use the "ha bat" buses on the circle in Pat.

Following a run along Beach road the next day it would appear that he (Emer) handed the driver (sure enough) 5 big ones.who of course was so shocked that he couldnt open his mouth to protest...(meanthinks)...recon he thought he had won the lottery

The tourist however had apparently jumped off the songtheo muttering something about the fact that it seemed a bit god dammed expensive for such a short ride but just assumed...w-t-h.......TIT

:o:D

I don't whine about it. luckily enough I can afford it, but it doesn't make sense do me.

i had the experience that in european sky resorts people living there have less to pay for a season pass than visitors, but that I can understand

it's like in florida as a florida resident you get a one year pass to disney world for the same price as visitors would have to pay for a 3 day pass

as the guy in charge for it explained to me that's to make them bring your family and friends

going to Koh Samet, arriving at the island and driving to a resort, one is stopped at the entrance of the "national park" (covering almost the whole island including all beaches, resorts etc) :

I have never paid that fee of 200Bhat. I used to go there and walk around the gate, down onto the beach. Other more recent times, I said to them I wasn't a tourist(in Thai) and got away with the Thai price. Having Thai kids helps too, although this will cost considerably more in the longrun!

going to Koh Samet, arriving at the island and driving to a resort, one is stopped at the entrance of the "national park" (covering almost the whole island including all beaches, resorts etc) :

I have never paid that fee of 200Bhat. I used to go there and walk around the gate, down onto the beach. Other more recent times, I said to them I wasn't a tourist(in Thai) and got away with the Thai price. Having Thai kids helps too, although this will cost considerably more in the longrun!

:o there is an alternative for not paying the park fee , by going with a speed boat, i am aware of this, have been using it, but this is some kind of cheating, but i hate cheating, especially when it is not necessary

going to Koh Samet,

I have never paid that fee of 200Bhat. I used to go there and walk around the gate, down onto the beach.

similiarly, when I went to Koh Tarutao, I just got off the ferry boat 100 yards from shore and swam to the beach around the corner from where they collected the fee.....and then simply joined my group after they walked off the boat and up to the beach. Felt good to get in for even less than my Thai friends, who brought my bag from the boat, and who had to paid their 20 baht.... :o:D

going to Koh Samet,

I have never paid that fee of 200Bhat. I used to go there and walk around the gate, down onto the beach.

similiarly, when I went to Koh Tarutao, I just got off the ferry boat 100 yards from shore and swam to the beach around the corner from where they collected the fee.....and then simply joined my group after they walked off the boat and up to the beach. Felt good to get in for even less than my Thai friends, who brought my bag from the boat, and who had to paid their 20 baht.... :o:D

that's ok, but why do we have to "cheat" just to get even?

going to Koh Samet,

that's ok, but why do we have to "cheat" just to get even?

I did it for the thrill of it. Encounter an obstacle and find a way around it. Thais do it all the time....and the cheers I got from the Thais on the boat, before it passed me and docked, showed that they admire my gumption..... or perhaps they just wanted the crazy farang to feel good.

Anyway, the bottom line is... either find a way to cheat or pay... up to you.

Edited by sriracha john

one (my) easier way to get around that fee is taking a speedboat to your destination, but then what you save in park fees you spend in additional fee for the speed boat, but you are where you want to be in no time

A simple solution, boycott going to National Parks ect that charge more for falang. I imagine if every tourist who visited the land of smiles did this then things would change quick smart. Oh well, i justify not coughing up by spending the money on 4 beer singhas or 5 Changs. At least u know the 7-11 or local soi corner store is not trying to rob u because of the colour of your skin :o

With a Thai driving License I have Paid 20 Baht at all National Parks.

It is much easier to get a license and learn to speak a little clear Thai.

The only place this hasn't worked for me is Wat Phra Keeow, in Bangkok.

SO many people moan about it. Accept it.

If you live here and don't work - then you can afford the odd 200 baht, can't you.

If you live here and work get the license.

If you are a tourist, you can afford it.

200 baht is a lot for someone earning the minimum wage in Bkk(about 170B?)

Accept that as a farang, you are probably rich compeared to the average Thai.

Accept that they your country's standard of living is much higher than theirs.

Would you like it if your country attracted foreigners who were much richer and started buying all the land?

In Scotland this was happening with the English Nobs, making the prices of a country cottage impossible for the local average earner. If it was up to me, I would charge the English double for going many places in Scotland.

In my first ten years or so here, I used to moan about the double priceing, now I accept it and understand it.

If you think that the teacher in Ayudya earning 1000 baht a week should pay the same as you to see a temple, who spends that on beer in one night, ###### off.

You probably spent what they earn in a year to come here for a holiday!

What do you think you would look like boycotting these places demanding equal rates?

With a Thai driving License I have Paid 20 Baht at all National Parks.

It is much easier to get a license and learn to speak a little clear Thai.

The only place this hasn't worked for me is Wat Phra Keeow, in Bangkok.

If you live here and don't work - then you can afford the odd 200 baht, can't you.

200 baht is a lot for someone earning the minimum wage in Bkk(about 170B?)

Accept that as a farang, you are probably rich compeared to the average Thai.

Accept that they your country's standard of living is much higher than theirs.

Would you like it if your country attracted foreigners who were much richer and started buying all the land?

In Scotland this was happening with the English Nobs, making the prices of a country cottage impossible for the local average earner. If it was up to me, I would charge the English double for going many places in Scotland.

In my first ten years or so here, I used to moan about the double priceing, now I accept it and understand it.

If you think that the teacher in Ayudya earning 1000 baht a week should pay the same as you to see a temple, who spends that on beer in one night, ###### off.

You probably spent what they earn in a year to come here for a holiday!

What do you think you would look like boycotting these places demanding equal rates?

Rubbish, I don't go begging from people because they have more money than I do....

I just don't go. I don't mind things like the grand palace being free to all thais as being an important part of their birthright, but the double standard on parks, etc just reinforces the beggar mentality that the govt. themselves foster with their policies.

If Thailand wants to progress as a nation they will have to begin treating forgieners the same as they are treated when they are in our countries, otherwise they will always be like hotel bellboys, dreaming of getting rich of the tips of "rich" farungs.

If they actually cleaned up the trash littering their national parks I might find the money a good investment, but it just goes into the govt's pockets.

It's their country, the can do as they like, but I wont spend money where I'm discriminated against, and would not tolerate my own govt doing it to forgieners in Canada either.

cv

Edited by cdnvic

If they actually cleaned up the trash littering their national parks I might find the money a good investment, but it just goes into the govt's pockets.

well said , and whilst we are on the subject of double pricing , the taxi, tuk-tuk and songthaew drivers who ply their miserable trade along the streets of pattaya,phuket and samui should be brought to book for their blatant cheating of tourists by charging according to race.

the weak and ineffectual authorities who continually bleat on about how they want to welcome the wonderful tourists and help them to enjoy their stay in this "wonderful"country should understand that ignoring and condoning these practices is as immoral, greedy and nasty as the practice itself.

but i'm sure they know that already.

Spot on.

Boycotting National Parks will never work.

You can't beat or change the system, so either accept it or work around it (and always with a smile).

Exploiting falungs will never go away... the Thai's exploit their own kind so how can anyone expect them not to take advantage of wealthier tourists if they can?

(Neeranam @ 2005-01-18 07:14:53)

Spot on.

Boycotting National Parks will never work.

You can't beat or change the system, so either accept it or work around it (and always with a smile).

Exploiting falungs will never go away... the Thai's exploit their own kind so how can anyone expect them not to take advantage of wealthier tourists if they can?

as can be seen yet again when this subject is discussed , some people just cant see that this is not about being able to afford 100 or 200 baht , that is not the point at all. if that was the case then thais who drove up to parks in bmw's would be charged more than thais who arrived 4-up on an old motor bike.

its about charging according to race and nationality. and to accept it with a smile is quite frankly demeaning,weak and pathetic.

its like saying "i know i'm being cheated and treated unfairly , but i'm such a dumb fck loser i'll give you what you unfairly demand of me , not only that i'll smile as you fleece me too. i'll be your performing monkey too if thats what you want."

a service or commodity has an agreed value , a cup of coffee costs x baht , a taxi ride costs y baht , entrance to a national park costs z baht.

if your ideas that you should pay according to your wealth hold water , then why dont the meters in bangkok taxis have a button that the driver presses that will make the meter charge for a thai or for a foriegner. why dont 99% of businesses charge according to race or wealth.

they dont behave like that because they know its racist , they know its unfair and they know its <deleted>.

should a poor person be able to buy a mercedes for a lower price than a rich person.

smile and pay up?.......lay down and die first !

Edited by taxexile

I do get your point taxexile.

If you read my earlier post on this subject you will note that I found a compromise in a similar situation that was acceptable to both myself and the Thais.

That, to me, is the key to getting on in Thailand.

Racism is Thailand is nothing like racism in Falungland. It's obviously here, but it's not malevolent. I can live with that.