Arriving At About 7 A.m.

phetaroi

When I fly into Thailand on a retirement visa in May I will be arriving on Thai International from LAX at about 7 a.m.

Won't it be hel_l getting to my hotel on Phetburi -- Pratunam area -- at that hour?

I had thought about a short-time room at the airport, but they don't have them...do they?

Or should I just hang around the airport until...well, you tell me...by what time will the traffic clear out? I used to arriving around midnight, so this will be new to me.

Welcome to Thailand - I am jealous (probably about 18 months behind you) ...

Seriously, you won't have any problems - traffic in BKK never completely goes away. Just grab a taxi and head to your hotel.

If you want to be really organised - you can pre-book a limo, but I wouldn't waste the money for such a short trip.

Yes, there is accommodation at / nearby Suvarnabhumi, but why pay for 2 hotel rooms.

Peter

When I fly into Thailand on a retirement visa in May I will be arriving on Thai International from LAX at about 7 a.m.

Won't it be hel_l getting to my hotel on Phetburi -- Pratunam area -- at that hour?

I had thought about a short-time room at the airport, but they don't have them...do they?

Or should I just hang around the airport until...well, you tell me...by what time will the traffic clear out? I used to arriving around midnight, so this will be new to me.

As others have suggested, bite the bullet and just jump into a taxi and head out. Would suggest, tho, that you take a whiz first! No pit stops available along the expressways.

Mac

Defintely book your room in advance, dont wanna hang around for most of the morning waiting for another room to check out. But by the time you arrive what with the traffic it could almost be two hours from actual arrival to hotel.

I'm, now thinking of two options to avoid what sounds like it could be a 2 hour commute.

First choice, making sure I arrive on a weekend.

Second choice, upon arrival taking a 6 hour room at Louis Tavern in the airport, resting and cleaning up, and heading into the city around 1:00 in the afternoon. First, I would guess that would avoid serious traffic (yes, I know Bangkok traffic is always busy) and it would eliminate the problem with not being able to check in early in the day (yet also not need to book an extra room there in advance).

Haven't really had problems with rooms not being ready early, but the hotel knows in advance my arrival time. The one time there was no room ready I just left my luggage with them and went for breakfast.

2 hour commute? Sounds pretty pessimistic.

These days, you can fly into Kabul, Afganistan, get a taxi and go to a restaurant.

all seems very dramatic, just take a cab when you arrive. coming on a weekend wont make much difference. unless u arrive at 0300 you will find heavy traffic. at 1pm it wont be much better than 8am

that o-so feared heavey traffc ONLY applies to the last 4/500 mtr in citystreets-the rest is highway/tollway-with hardly ever having jams. if you can wait the odd few month extra-then that airpprt train might be runing-and delievrs you right at the edge of pratunam area. going furhte rinto town-and at same time-Ive often done it from touchdown till in rom in 90/100 mins-even with just the citybus-incl, goung to controls, getting luggage-finding bus etc.

I'm, now thinking of two options to avoid what sounds like it could be a 2 hour commute.

First choice, making sure I arrive on a weekend.

Second choice, upon arrival taking a 6 hour room at Louis Tavern in the airport, resting and cleaning up, and heading into the city around 1:00 in the afternoon. First, I would guess that would avoid serious traffic (yes, I know Bangkok traffic is always busy) and it would eliminate the problem with not being able to check in early in the day (yet also not need to book an extra room there in advance).

If it was up to me I would catch a taxi to the hotel and enjoy the veiw taking photos on the way :D

6 hour room at Louis Tavern in the airport is very boring really :o Take a look at life as it is in the City of Devil Taxi Drivers :D

Yours turly,

Kan Win :D