Thai Perceptions Of Other Asians

HenryP

There have been many posts regarding how Thais perceive/treat/deal with the sterotypical westerner (white). I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge/experience on how Thais view asians of other nations.

I am a 28 year old korean-american with english as my native language. I was recently trying to check-out after a weekend stay at a large Hua Hin resort.

I went to the front desk, and ask to check out in English, the front desk clerk asks for my room # which I provided.

Then after a minute or two of confusedly looking at the monitor, without saying anything to me, she confers with her coworker at the next terminal. After another couple minutes, again without a word spoken to me, she gets the front desk supervisor. Anticipating that there is an issue with my credit card, or passport I ask if they would like to see either of these. The supervisor asks to see my passport, and after providing that to them I notice a sudden look of relief on both their faces as they quickly giggle and promptly check me out.

I then ask the front desk clerk what the issue was. She states that as I looked Japanese, they could not understand why I was trying to check out of an American guest's room. I found this to be pretty humorous, but was somewhat bewildered by how stubborn the stereotype of the image of the western person is ingrained in their psychology.

My daily experience when in Bangkok is the constant and unnerving attention I seem to get in public places. Unfortunately, this isnt an admiring or complimentary look, but more of an analytical look at where I fit into their society.

Is this because they think I am Japanese? Which isnt unusual, many Japanese and Korean people think I am Japanese. My girlfriend says that Thai people respect the Japanese but that is definitely not the feeling I get when people stare me up and down. In her opinion, people in Thailand stare at me because I wear suits but have (relatively) long hair. She thinks that people think it is strange that a guy with long hair would wear a suit. I can see the logic of her reasoning since there are so many Japanese people here, clearly the attention isnt a result of seeing the exotic Japanese person; and I cant recall seeing one (relatively) long haired professional in Bangkok... But I wonder...

My question is: Do Thais view other asians differently, and if so, what are some of the sterotypes, or ways that non-Thai asians are seen?

its not your suit or your long hair, unfortunately for us "asians" we are treated a little different from the westerners or europeans. you can see and feel it. its sad but true. anyway thats life whether your asian or american or european we're all human and we all need air in order to live. Just dont let the "constant and unnerving attention" get into you. Smile because you are in The Land Of Smile. :o

A friend’s teenage daughter has the same happen to her in Thailand and found it a little un-nerving. She is Farang/Thai with more Thai than Farang looks, although taller than the average Thai.

She has spent all her life in western countries and dresses in the usual western teenage fashions. Her first language is English although she fully understands, but doesn’t speak Thai.

She thinks people couldn’t associate her looks with the “standard” features of other Asians. i.e. The corners of her eyes pointing up or down, facial features, dress codes, actions etc.

Besides being a very attractive girl and the usual stares that go with that, she said she felt these probing inquisitive stares were likely to be from people’s curiosity while they tried to figure out what nationality she was. She also hears comments as she walks along the street from Thai passers by wondering what nationality she is.

She has decided to live with it and just ignore these stares and comments on her next visit to Thailand.

NL

Don't take it too serious. The staff of the hotel was probably confused. They are most likely not used that there are, apart from Thais and Farang, still another group of people/Nationalities they can't place or guess where they're from.

My wife is Chinese and quite 'white' looking which is a pro amongst Asians (the funny thing is that Farang people want to get 'brown' during holiday and Asians want to get white as a sort of status.)

Almost everywhere in Thailand my wife is beiing considered Northern-Thai (Chiang Mai) and everyone starts talking Thai to her...which she doesn't understand...and, most of the times they don't believe her....which is funny, but OK for her/us.

I'm coming, as a European Farang, for decades to the Far East and I'm always asked:

Hello Sir, where are you from?...I always tell them: "I'm from Liechtenstein"....it's so funny...you should see there faces, eyes wide open, you can 'hear' them thinking...than smile and tell you: Oh yes I think I know....close to America, right?

VERY GOOD, I always reply, and make them very happy and smiling! :o

Edited by LaoPo

HenryP, don't worry too much or analyze it too much...there are almost always no bad or invidious discriminatory intentions here (like you would, unfortunately, sometimes find in the States). I am also an Asian-American and am constantly running into questions from locals of where I "fit" in (not only in Thailand, but in most East Asian countries...).

Most, but not all, Thais you will interact with here (on a ordinary daily basis) have not travelled internationally at all (or experienced cross-cultural persons), so they stereotype in the extreme and try to fit you into a box almost immediately. If you are not immediately an apparent caucasian (a "farang")---most Thais lump all "farangs" into one category---and are Asian-looking, then you must be from Hong Kong, Korea, Japan, China, etc. tracing lineage only from that location since the galactic "Big Bang"..... If you do not immediately fit into a neat box---it fails to compute.....

There seems to be an ingrained need to immediately fit you into a box (just so the universe is understood--not to create ill will or discriminate etc.). You will also notice that Thais amongst themselves (when meeting for the first time) they will almost immediately start asking indirect questions of each other on age, status etc. to try to ascertain their place in the "phee-nong", senior--junior box categories etc. in order to properly interact, etc.

(I think I am lucky cause I look "pan-Asian" to most people and am mistaken lots of times for Thai, when in Thailand, Pinoy when in Philipines Japanese when in Japan, Taiwanese when in Taiwan., etc. ..I more often than not get local discounts, dont get over charged at tourist rates--if I keep my mouth shut :o ).

Thais are completely stumped when I tell them I'm American (and third-generation American)...they refuse to accept it (because it just simply does not compute into a box) so sometimes (if I am in the mood and want to invest) I explain my lineage which is a blend ....or......if I want to avoid the 20 questions and just buy the darn coke or finish the taxi ride, I just tell them I am a pure- blooded Mongolian tourist from the great capital of Ulaan Baatar) which satisfies the urgent need to categorize and place things in a box (and avoids further questions).

I found it especially amusing when a Thai person refused to accept (in a good way) that I was an "American" while both of us were attending a function hosted by the then US Ambassador to Thailand, William Itoh (an American of Japanese descent).

In short, take it in stride (no ill will is intended)....they are just trying to understand where you fit in (or are checking you out cause they attracted :D ). Don't apply the same rules you might apply in the States.

I have a friend who's Belgian thai but raised in belgium all his life. He only speaks dutch. But he looks Really like a thai, brown skin colour and all.

He went to thailand a few months ago and everywhere he went thais couldn't understand that he was actually a Farang and didn't understand thai language :D

Even the Farangs tried to speak thai with him :o

He got a few blank stares as well :D

My wife was born in 1945 and when I first met her ('75) she harbored resentment against Japanese. She was too young for WWII memories so it must have been ingrained from family members/history. We stayed at a hotel in Pattya and she didn't want to get on an elevator because it was made by Mitsubishi!

She's over that now--quite happy with her Mazda MPV! :o

On the flip-side , my 6 year old son ( luk-kreung) looks nearly 100 percent Caucasian ( at the moment) and can speak perfect Thai ( well perfect for a 6 year old anyway!)

When we visit Los and in particular Ban Nok, he gets so much attention when speaking Thai/ E-sarn style that we could charge money for the privilege.

Unfortunately he has picked up a few slang words ( from myself ) and will blurt out an unprovoked " E - HAH! " at the most unsuitable moments.... :o

you think thailand is bad try the state, if you walk into a wrong hood you're toasted, either gun down or get beat the living daylight outta ya, and all this is just becuase you look different, asian, white, back, alien, what ever you are, just don't walk into the wrong hood :o

you think thailand is bad try the state, if you walk into a wrong hood you're toasted, either gun down or get beat the living daylight outta ya, and all this is just becuase you look different, asian, white, back, alien, what ever you are, just don't walk into the wrong hood  :o

True. When I compare racism in America and then racism in Thailand, the racism in Thailand becomes a sill joke to me; nothing to worry about.

I can tell you that in Taiwan, the Japanese are not very well liked. Due to the many crulties that Japan commitied during WW II. I would not be surprised if this were the case in Thailand, when you consider the large population of Chinese in Thailand, and the fact that Japan did occupy Thailand for a certain length of time.

For some strange reason the Taiwanese (no offense intended) feel that the Koreans are the lowliest of lows... Why that is, I don't know. I am not even sure if they have a different opinion toward the northern, or southern Koreans. Don't feel bad, I would not doubt if us Americans are felt as the lowliest of all people of white origin. Quite an honor.... Thanks Mr. Shrub. Soon we will be the poorest.... Oh well, the burden of being number one will finally be shed. What a relief!

As far as I can tell from my experience living in Thailand, Thais are equal opportunity xenophobes. They are suspicious of all foreign nationalities, so in a way, they are undiscriminating discriminates. Luckily for us it is all pretty superficial and after they get to know you and like you, their suspicions quickly melt away. :o

Edited by mbkudu

to answer your question I would say that Thais look down on Burmese, Cambodians and Indians. They look up to the Chinese, they feel like the Japanese look down on them. They look level at the Vietnamese & Malaysians, patronisingly at the Laos and anyone else they haven't a clue who they are!

When i first came to Bangkok I started work in a Japanese company that had a mix of Thai, Japanese and a couple of Farangs working there. All the Thai staff thought i was Japanese and the Japanese staff thought i was Thai and none of them believed that i was actually English!!

My roots are Taiwanese but i was born and grew up in England. Most people here think I am Japanese and some of the looks i get when i start speaking in perfect English alwasy make me smile to myself...

The only problem i get is when i go out to a restaurant with my farang mates and when the waitress catn understand them she turns to me and starts speaking in super fast Thai...little does she know that my Thai is about the same level as theirs!!

to answer your question I would say that Thais look down on Burmese, Cambodians and Indians.  They look up to the Chinese, they feel like the Japanese look down on them. They look level at the Vietnamese & Malaysians, patronisingly at the Laos and anyone else they haven't a clue who they are!

Too true.

Especially about looking up to the Chinese.

But how do you see the Thais viewing Koreans?

There have been many posts regarding how Thais perceive/treat/deal with the sterotypical westerner (white).  I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge/experience on how Thais view asians of other nations.

I am a 28 year old korean-american with english as my native language.  I was recently trying to check-out after a weekend stay at a large Hua Hin resort.

I went to the front desk, and ask to check out in English, the front desk clerk asks for my room # which I provided.

Then after a minute or two of confusedly looking at the monitor, without saying anything to me, she confers with her coworker at the next terminal.  After another couple minutes, again without a word spoken to me, she gets the front desk supervisor.  Anticipating that there is an issue with my credit card, or passport I ask if they would like to see either of these.  The supervisor asks to see my passport, and after providing that to them I notice a sudden look of relief on both their faces as they quickly giggle and promptly check me out.

I then ask the front desk clerk what the issue was.  She states that as I looked Japanese, they could not understand why I was trying to check out of an American guest's room.  I found this to be pretty humorous, but was somewhat bewildered by how stubborn the stereotype of the image of the western person is ingrained in their psychology.

My daily experience when in Bangkok is the constant and unnerving attention I seem to get in public places.  Unfortunately, this isnt an admiring or complimentary look, but more of an analytical look at where I fit into their society. 

Is this because they think I am Japanese? Which isnt unusual, many Japanese and Korean people think I am Japanese.  My girlfriend says that Thai people respect the Japanese but that is definitely not the feeling I get when people stare me up and down.  In her opinion, people in Thailand stare at me because I wear suits but have (relatively) long hair.  She thinks that people think it is strange that a guy with long hair would wear a suit.  I can see the logic of her reasoning since there are so many Japanese people here, clearly the attention isnt a result of seeing the exotic Japanese person; and I cant recall seeing one (relatively) long haired professional in Bangkok... But I wonder...       

My question is:  Do Thais view other asians differently, and if so, what are some of the sterotypes, or ways that non-Thai asians are seen?

is it funny, i am causcasion, and have the same experience when in japan, korea etc, and i have long hair and wear a suit :D

i think it has got just to do with racism which ingrained in every country around the world, here in thailand they think they're the most superior race in the world, just look at the "thai love thai" party, that say's it all :D

i'm from belgian, and there the flemish don't like the wals and vice versa, you just get used to it after a while :o

just laugh and smile a lot and don't let it get to you and get on with life :D

au revoir

to answer your question I would say that Thais look down on Burmese, Cambodians and Indians.  They look up to the Chinese, they feel like the Japanese look down on them. They look level at the Vietnamese & Malaysians, patronisingly at the Laos and anyone else they haven't a clue who they are!

I think this is heavily ingrained in Asian society. Japanese would look down upon Korean, Chinese, etc. Korean especially looks down upon Chinese, etc. Chinese looks down upon Philippino, Indonesian, etc. Thai looks down on Burmese, Cambodian, Indonesian and so on. Asian Americans look down upon everyone originated from Asia. But they ALL AGREE that all white people are the best ever creature that god ever created and they are all competing to become the best servant for white people. :o

I can tell you that in Taiwan, the Japanese are not very well liked. Due to the many crulties that Japan commitied during WW II. I would not be surprised if this were the case in Thailand, when you consider the large population of Chinese in Thailand, and the fact that Japan did occupy Thailand for a certain length of time. 

As far as I remember from the "Official " History, Thailand was never occupied, or was it? :o Or is that another Face saver ?

I think this is heavily ingrained in Asian society. Japanese would look down upon Korean, Chinese, etc. Korean especially looks down upon Chinese, etc. Chinese looks down upon Philippino, Indonesian, etc. Thai looks down on Burmese, Cambodian, Indonesian and so on. Asian Americans look down upon everyone originated from Asia. But they ALL AGREE that all white people are the best ever creature that god ever created and they are all competing to become the best servant for white people. :D

OMG :o please speak for yourself! Im Asian and I aint NOBODY's servant!!

Depending how long your hair is, I would say it adds to the reason to stare at a person in Japan or Thailand. It doesn't fit the image. I have had japanese tell me unless a person is in the entertainment business cut your hair if you wish to be taken seriously. I don't know about Thailand but I would wager it's the same

There have been many posts regarding how Thais perceive/treat/deal with the sterotypical westerner (white).  I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge/experience on how Thais view asians of other nations.

I am a 28 year old korean-american with english as my native language.  I was recently trying to check-out after a weekend stay at a large Hua Hin resort.

Then after a minute or two of confusedly looking at the monitor, without saying anything to me, she confers with her coworker at the next terminal.  After another couple minutes, again without a word spoken to me, she gets the front desk supervisor.  Anticipating that there is an issue with my credit card, or passport I ask if they would like to see either of these.  The supervisor asks to see my passport, and after providing that to them I notice a sudden look of relief on both their faces as they quickly giggle and promptly check me out.

I then ask the front desk clerk what the issue was.  She states that as I looked Japanese, they could not understand why I was trying to check out of an American guest's room.  I found this to be pretty humorous, but was somewhat bewildered by how stubborn the stereotype of the image of the western person is ingrained in their psychology.

My daily experience when in Bangkok is the constant and unnerving attention I seem to get in public places.  Unfortunately, this isnt an admiring or complimentary look, but more of an analytical look at where I fit into their society. 

Is this because they think I am Japanese? Which isnt unusual, many Japanese and Korean people think I am Japanese.  My girlfriend says that Thai people respect the Japanese but that is definitely not the feeling I get when people stare me up and down.  In her opinion, people in Thailand stare at me because I wear suits but have (relatively) long hair.  She thinks that people think it is strange that a guy with long hair would wear a suit.  I can see the logic of her reasoning since there are so many Japanese people here, clearly the attention isnt a result of seeing the exotic Japanese person; and I cant recall seeing one (relatively) long haired professional in Bangkok... But I wonder...       

My question is:  Do Thais view other asians differently, and if so, what are some of the sterotypes, or ways that non-Thai asians are seen?

is it funny, i am causcasion, and have the same experience when in japan, korea etc, and i have long hair and wear a suit :D

i think it has got just to do with racism which ingrained in every country around the world, here in thailand they think they're the most superior race in the world, just look at the "thai love thai" party, that say's it all :D

i'm from belgian, and there the flemish don't like the wals and vice versa, you just get used to it after a while :o

just laugh and smile a lot and don't let it get to you and get on with life :D

au revoir

Do we know Each other Kreon ???

you think thailand is bad try the state, if you walk into a wrong hood you're toasted, either gun down or get beat the living daylight outta ya, and all this is just becuase you look different, asian, white, back, alien, what ever you are, just don't walk into the wrong hood  :o

True. When I compare racism in America and then racism in Thailand, the racism in Thailand becomes a sill joke to me; nothing to worry about.

I think both of these statements are a bit simplistic, possibly in an effort to be an apologist for Thai racism.

There is no denying that racism exists just about everywhere I've ever been, including the states - obviously. I am from a mixed-race background, look white to most people who don't know me, and grew up in the S.E. Bronx and went to public schools in these neighborhoods. I also spent a considerable time moving around many other inner-city (or "ghetto") neighborhoods. If you walk around feeling scared or like you are in the "wrong" neighborhood, then you probably are, because a lot of it is what you think and project.

It wasn't easy, and I am not going to defend obvious racial problems in many of these areas as well as others. But to say that this makes Thailand look like a cakewalk is extremely ill-informed, in my opinion. If you feel that way, then why don't you talk to a Burmese migrant in Mae Sot, or ANYWHERE in Thailand for that matter, and ask them how they fare being locked up in prison indefinitely without charges. Talk to the relatives and witnesses of countless migrants that have been extorted, enslaved, raped, and murdered, all with the full knowledge and impunity of the "authorities". And oh yeah, talk to 2nd and third generation hilltribe children that don't even have an identity card and therefore cannot legally attend school, have an address, or wander past a 25 kilometer radius. Or how about simply revoking their legal status, as has already happened on a whim to more that 1,000 ethnic minorities in the North.

Yes bad things happen in the states, and I would wager, many other "civilized" countries. There are bad people everywhere. But I am sure that in the states, you have a much, MUCH higher probability that justice will be done and wrongdoers punished, than in Thailand. ######, you don't even have to be "American" to receive justice or equality under the law, unlike Thailand, where you most definitely must be Thai.

So please, don't state the simply ludicrous to force a point.

I guess it's the rich Thais you are talking about.

They look down on Thais who are baan nork as well.

Luckily it's the poor Thais I've always been in contact with.

Yes bad things happen in the states, and I would wager, many other "civilized" countries.  There are bad people everywhere.  But I am sure that in the states, you have a much, MUCH higher probability that justice will be done and wrongdoers punished, than in Thailand.  ######, you don't even have to be "American" to receive justice or equality under the law, unlike Thailand, where you most definitely must be Thai.

Ok, so it took the US court system 40 years to finally arrest and prosecute a Klansman who was responsible for executing three election workers in the civil rights era. Visit the South some time honey. :o

As far as I remember from the "Official " History, Thailand was never occupied, or was it? :D Or is that another Face saver ?

No .......errr... well not quite :D

Apart from those naughty Burmese,Khmers,Vietnamese O and of course the laddies from the err...house of the rising sun.....but .just a little bit...

not too long :D ...LOS has never been occupied :o

The Chinese dont count really cause they just....err again..... own everything :D

There was a bit of a battle once down by Trat (not far from Chang Island) that went quite well but then again nobody really wanted the area anyway. :D

Yes bad things happen in the states, and I would wager, many other "civilized" countries.  There are bad people everywhere.   But I am sure that in the states, you have a much, MUCH higher probability that justice will be done and wrongdoers punished, than in Thailand.  ######, you don't even have to be "American" to receive justice or equality under the law, unlike Thailand, where you most definitely must be Thai.

Ok, so it took the US court system 40 years to finally arrest and prosecute a Klansman who was responsible for executing three election workers in the civil rights era. Visit the South some time honey. :D

Oh, am I a "honey" now? I'll take that in the best possible way as I'm sure it was meant :o

MB, there is no denying the racist history of the United States. I would never try, because I've been affected by it, studied it, and as minimum wage earners who are also people of color, my family has lived it. And how do you know I haven't been to the South (of the U.S.)? You don't know anything about me except what I have stated on this forum. If you don't mind, where are you from?

It's not my intent to get into a flame war with you, because I actually like you, and most likely share similar political viewpoints with you.

Yes, I agree with you about the Klansman; yes, the American judicial system is a criminal/penal outgrowth of a slave economy; yes, there are a disproportionate number of African-Americans on death row, and it has been proven that the death sentence is highly erroneous and itself needs to be terminated; yes to all these things, and yes to the book by Howard Zinn - I agree with his selection of history.

But you made a comparative statement regarding Thailand and the US, which is very broad and too general to really mean anything. When you actually look at specific cases and the application of laws, customs, and rights, there are far, far worse situations in Thailand without any promise of recourse whatsoever.

There is no way the US makes Thailand look like a cakewalk, except possibly for white foreigners (edit: white foreigners in Thailand experiencing minority status for the first time, as compared to minorities in the US). And even white foreigners are lucky to receive justice in LOS if they happen to be murdered or extorted by one of the locals. This was actually my point of comparison.

If you want to carry out this discussion, I'd be more than happy to argue with you (And I don't mean contemptuously). Just PM me.

Cheers.

Edited by kat