Vitamin D Test In Bangkok

edwardandtubs

Not necessarily true. The OP may be indoors not near a window all day.

Unless there's a real reason you suspect your levels might be low, why not just take some vitamins? I think it would be a lot cheaper than going to get your levels tested for no reason.

You can also go outside and get some sunlight. That boosts your vitamin D levels.

I think it would be better to get tested rather than take a vitamin supplement for the rest of my life for no reason. I don't get much direct sunlight at all and the evidence is contradictory whether a few minutes here and there does any good. Some studies suggest your skin needs to be exposed for about 10 minutes before you start to produce vitamin D. I never spend more than 10 minutes in direct sunlight.

Anyway, I've heard it's a simple test that all doctors can do but the way the Thai health system is, this would probably involve a trip to Bumrungrad which seems a waste for a simple blood test.

The test you need is called

"serum 25-hydroxycholecalciferol" or "25-hydroxyvitamin D" (25-OHD).

Any large hospital should be able to do it. I don't know the cost; suggest you email several hospitals and enquire. Besides the "big 4"(Bumrungrad, BH, BNH and Samitivej) include Vejthani, St Louis and Phyathai, they are less expensive but still large enough that they may be able to do it.

• 2 years later...

Resurrecting with some current info for those who need it.

The 25-hydroxyvitamin D a.k.a. 25-OH test is available at hospitals (but not clinics, walk-in labs, etc.). You get the result within a week. Prices vary wildly.

Bangkok Hospital, BNH, and Vejthani want 9K (yes, nine), 6.5K, and 5K baht, resp., for the test alone. Bumrungrad and Samitivej are more reasonable at less than 3K. In the expensive hospitals (which includes Bumrungrad & Samitivej) you'll also have to add 200-300 baht mandatory per-visit "nursing" fee, perhaps several hundred baht lab nurse fee, and likely also a physician fee of around 800 baht since most won't let you order the test without seeing one first (which is idiotic, since if you want to see the doctor at all, it'd be after you got your test result, not before). By far, the best price offered by a private hospital was at St. Louis: 1600 baht. They assured me over the phone that the final price to pay, including all fees would be 1700 baht. They did however ask me to come at 8 a.m. (like the government hospitals).

Now, none of the previously mentioned hospitals actually do the 25-OH test themselves. Even the larger ones, like Bumrungrad and Samitivej, send the samples to one of the really big government hospitals. These are usually much cheaper but with long queues and occasional language problems. I contacted three of these. Siriraj wanted around 1500 baht for the test but for some reason they quoted me an additional 2000 in fees which put them on par with private hospitals. If you're going to spend that kind of money, better go to one of those. Ramathibodi Hospital and Chulalongkorn Hospital, whose labs serve some of the private hospitals above, quoted me 1200 baht for the test (all inclusive). I went to Ramathibodi and actually ended up paying only 850 baht for everything (incl. doctor consultation). However, I had to wait a lot. I arrived at 8:40 a.m., waited around 20 minutes to register and get my ID card, some more at some other counter where they finally gave me a ticket to see a doctor... for 12:00 noon! (You can go outside & have a foot massage or whatever.) All in all, I visited two hospital buildings, four counters, one doctor, one lab; and was out of the hospital just after 1 p.m. They told me to come earlier in the morning next time and it'd be quicker.

TL;DR:

• Ramathibodi Hospital and Chulalongkorn Hospital: Really cheap (~1K or less) but potentially very long waiting times. Arrive _before_ 8:00 am, Mon-Fri. In Ramathibodi, you'll get your result in exactly 7 days; you have to return in person.
  • St. Louis Hospital (uses Chulalongkorn Hospital lab). Still pretty cheap (<2K) but probably much quicker (never been there). Also have to arrive ~8am, Mon-Fri.
  • Bumrungrad, Samitivej: Expensive (upwards of 3K) but quick/good service. Arrive before 4:00-4:30pm, Mon-Fri. They can call you with the result as soon as it's available. Samitivej (which uses the lab at Ramathibodi Hospital) called within 3-4 days (i.e. quicker than going to Ramathibodi itself). Samitivej also seems to allow testing without seeing a doctor, if you ask for it (saves you 800 baht). Bumrungrad doesn't but their test is cheaper, so it's about the same.
  • Bangkok Hospital, BNH, and Vejthani: Avoid; unreasonable prices for this specific test.

• Like 2

• 7 years later...

Hello this is a 03/2019 Update for those in Bangkok.

Went to Ramathibodi Hospital today cost for Vitamin d test is : 1600 bht cost for nurse fee 300bht cost for doctor ( compulsory ) 1000 bht i m non resident so the cost is double for me can spend 2x less if you resident maybe . i also did a simple thyroid testing 400 bht

I will add that it s little difficult because not much english out there mainly the doc but she was a little bit stress that day ( unfortunately for her and for me ) she told me that foreigner are not really welcome in the hospital because they have too much work and it take more time for them to take care of a foreigner... 

over all not a very pleasant experience because of the doc stress ... but hope to get my result tomorrow lets see maybe will add something to this post...

as I recall, there is no agreed upon  number  for  norms  , so the capsules are relatively cheap,  it's not really a vitamin  , more like a hormone .....

I wouldn't bother with the test IMO,  I just take 1 capsule/day ; but not sure I'll continue "forever"