Autonomy, Sharia Law, For Southern Thailand

Mai Krap

http://www.voanews.com/english/2009-03-18-voa36.cfm

Thailand Explores Greater Autonomy for Largely Muslim Provinces

By Ron Corben

Bangkok

18 March 2009

A Thai government policy review of the largely Muslim southern provinces is considering granting greater local autonomy with reforms including introduction of Sharia Law through Islamic courts. The strategy is part of efforts to bring to an end a five-year insurgency that has cost more than 3,000 lives.

afp_thailand_pm_Abhisit_Vejjajiva_175_14Jan09.jpg

Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva at Foreign Press Club in Bangkok, 14 Jan 2009

The policy review began soon after the government of Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva came to office in December. Speaking to foreign correspondents earlier this year, Mr. Abhsit set out the government's policy goals. "The only long-term solution must be done through a comprehensive package that covers well beyond the security dimensions, but also addresses the issues such as economic development as well as addressing education and cultural diversity in the provinces," he said.

'Total development concept'

The government plan includes setting up a special office headed by a minister in charge of affairs in the Southern provinces. An interim committee of ministers has examined what the government calls a 'total development concept' directed to the three provinces of Pattani, Narathiwat and Yala. The region is among the poorest in Thailand, heavily reliant on agriculture, especially rubber, as well as mining.

While Thailand's 63 million population is overwhelmingly Buddhist, there are more than six million Muslims, largely living in these provinces bordering Malaysia. A Thai government review paper, an English translated copy of which was obtained by VOA, says people in the region consider themselves Pattani Malays rather than Thai. The review paper calls on government to adopt a strategy that is largely peaceful and suggests a military solution will fail to win local community support, even if it succeeds in imposing control. Insurgencies in the 1970s and 1980s came to an end through a process of military action, negotiation and amnesty.

ap_thailand_southern_violence_195_04Nov08.jpg

Thai police officers and soldiers examine the wreckage of cars that was exploded after insurgents detonated a bomb hidden inside in Narathiwat province, southern Thailand, 04 Nov 2008

The paper says policy changes in 2002 under the government of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, with the disbanding of joint military, police and civilian commands, had led the way open for the insurgency to resurface. The first major attack occurred in January 2004 on an army depot. Since then the violence has escalated. Thai government spokesman, Panitan Wattanyagorn, says the new proposals are part of a coordinated approach to the Southern border regions.

A state economic think tank, the National Economic and Social Development Board - or NESDB - has completed a master plan for development. "For the first time - integrating all aspects of economic and social development programs together; they work on the ground, with the military also - the ISOC - the Internal Security Operations Command Center - to get information from more than 200 villages," said Panitan. "And they are integrating that approach - of military, civilian and non-government organization, NGO - together with a single master plan."

'Southern cabinet' policy

Policy review options include a specially elected local chamber of government, the partial application of Islamic Sharia Law through Islamic Courts and local administrative organizations based on Muslim community leadership. It also calls for security forces and government officials to be selected from the local Southern community or have language, cultural and knowledge of local customs and traditions before being posted.

Panitan says the empowerment of local communities and application of Sharia law is an option under consideration. "They are in consideration already in the proposals," he said. "There are at least two different proposals - legislative proposals - proposed by the members of parliament [MPs]. We do not know what will be adopted by the parliament yet but yes - these are the considerations."

voa_corben_thailand_angkhan_kraisak_195_18Mar09.jpg

Angkhana Neelapaichit and Kraisak Choonhavan at the Foreign Correspondents Club of Thailand (FCCT)

A member of the governing Democrat Party, Kraisak Choonhavan, has been an outspoken critic over the militarization of the Southern Provinces where up to 40,000 troops have been stationed to curb the violence. "The government has a plan - it calls itself the Southern Cabinet in which in theory the military will be part of a civilian rule in the South and that eventually the emergency law would be lifted," he said. "But considering the pace of this implementation is just frustrating for me to wait for them to come to the decision."

Escalating violence

Violence has escalated during the five years. More brutal attacks by the insurgents; drive by killings, beheadings of victims to spread fear through local communities, the torching of schools, killing of teachers, state officials and Buddhist monks, as well as Muslims. The response by the military has often led to accusations of extrajudicial killings, disappearances, and heavy handed security crackdowns into villages. Kraisak says the government must take action to end state-backed violence. "I have evidence, pictures, witnesses you name it of all the perpetrators - hundreds of perpetrators - and they all belong to the state security," he said. "How does one go about bringing justice as we understand it?"

Justice for all

Angkhana Neelapaichit, chairs a group that monitors human rights abuses in Southern Thailand. She says rather than autonomy as a priority the people of the southern provinces are seeking justice. "First priority; they want justice," said Angkhana. "They want to live peacefully. If you saw the local people, I think they are very poor. They want to have a good job; they want to send their children to go to school, to have a good education, good job. But I think they could not. "The Thai Cabinet this week endorsed a plan to streamline the judicial processes in Southern Thailand concerning the legal treatment of suspected insurgents. The overnment says the changes are designed to ensure fairness and boost confidence in the justice system and a further step towards ending the five-year cycle of violence.

http://www.jakartanews.net/story/479405

Thai government works on Muslim problem in the south

Jakarta News.Net

Wednesday 18th March, 2009

The Thai government is considering granting greater local autonomy in its Southernmost states to give local Muslims more say.

A policy review of the largely Muslim southern provinces has suggested the introduction of Sharia Law through Islamic courts, amongst other concessions.

Southern state policy makers, acting with the Thai government, have completed a master plan for development of the region.

The new proposals will be part of a coordinated approach to the Southern border regions, for which the Thai prime minister is known to favour setting up a special office headed by a minister in charge of affairs in the Southern provinces.

The strategy is part of an effort to bring to an end a five-year insurgency that began when former prime minister, Thaksin Shinawatra, disbanded joint military, police and civilian commands, leaving the south open for insurgents.

The resultant conflict cost more than 3,000 lives.

While Thailand's 63 million population is overwhelmingly Buddhist, there are more than six million Muslims, largely living in the southern provinces bordering Malaysia.

People in the region consider themselves Pattani Malays rather than Thai.

http://www.radioaustralia.net.au/connectas...03/s2520600.htm

Thai government mulls Sharia law proposal

Updated March 19, 2009 12:39:07

The Thai government is considering the introduction of Sharia law in parts of the Muslim dominated South - according to an internal government review obtained by Radio Australia.

The final review is due next month and canvasses policy options for the largely Muslim border provinces, where an insurgency has claimed over 3500 since 2004. Options before the government include greater autonomy for local communities and a reduction of the military's influence.

Present: Ron Corben

Speakers: Panitan Wattanayagorn, Government spokesman; Kraisak Choonhavan, member of the governing Democrat Party; Angkhana Neelapaichit, wife of the missing Muslim lawyer, Somchai Neelapaichit

* Listen:

* Windows Media

*http://www.abc.net.au/ra/connectasia/stories/m1718009.asx

CORBEN: The internal review on the Southern Provinces is part of the government of Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva's efforts to end the violence and insurgency in the largely Muslim provinces. The review says a pure military solution to the insurgency will fail and calls for more attention to Muslim cultural influence, more regional autonomy including a specially elected chamber to oversee local government.

It also calls for partial application of Islamic Sharia laws through Islamic courts and for administrative organizations to be based on Muslim community leadership. Final details of the plans are expected in April.

Thai Government spokesman, Panitan Wattanayagorn, says the plans are part of a more coordinated approach to the Southern border regions.

PANITAN: The National Economic and Social Development Board is now completing a master plan; for the first time integrating all aspects of economic and social development programmes together. They work on the ground, with the military also - the ISOC - the Internal Security Command Centre - to get information from more than 200 villages. And they are integrating that approach - of military, civilian and non-government organization - NGO - together with a single master plan. After that a civilian organization could be up and running to implement this. Until then, the Cabinet ministers in the southern council will have to overlook that first.

CORBEN: Some reports suggest the introduction of Sharia Law and a strengthening of local institutions.

PANITAN: They are in consideration already in the proposals. There are at least two different proposals - legislative proposals - proposed by the members of parliament (MPs). We don't know what will be adopted by the parliament yet - but yes - these are the considerations.

CORBEN: Thailand's southern provinces have been gripped by increasing insurgent attacks since early 2004. The review paper in part blames the rise in violence over the past five years on the Government of former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, whose administration dismantled special combined civilian, police and military units in 2002, leaving local security in the hands of the police. The military is now in full control of the South with the stationing of up to 40,000 troops through emergency decrees.

But the daily violence goes on. One of the latest victims is a nine year old Muslim boy, now in a coma and paralysed after being caught in cross fire during a clash between an army unit and insurgents.

Kraisak Choonhavan, a member of the governing Democrat Party, who also calls for the military to end human rights abuses and killings in the South, remains cautious over the policy plans.

KRAISAK: The government has a plan - it calls itself the Southern Cabinet in which in theory the military will be part of a civilian rule in the South and that eventually the emergency law would be lifted. But considering the pace of this implementation is just frustrating for me to wait for them to come to the decision.

CORBEN: Angkhana Neelapaichit, wife of the missing Muslim lawyer, Somchai Neelapaichit, chairs a group which monitors human rights abuses in Southern Thailand. She says as a priority the people are seeking justice.

ANGKHANA: I don't that autonomy could solve the problem or not. What I have found is the people are under educated. I don't know that if they have autonomy and they have direct representative are Malau but if the local people are still under educated I don't know if they could access to justice, they could access to political, or the economic themselves or not. Many of the elite people are talking about autonomy. But the local people are not used to talking about that.

CORBEN: How do you see the way forward? Do you see this government being able to wrest some of the power from the military in the South?

ANGKHANA: I don't know if the government could do it or not because I think the government - Khun Abhisit (and) Democrat Party (sic) - became government with the support of the military. So I don't know for sure that they could change the Southern problem without the military or not.

CORBEN: What do they want? What do the local people want?

ANGKHANA: First priority; they want justice. They want to live peacefully. If you saw the local people - I think they are very poor. They want to have a good job; they want to send their children to go to school, to have a good education, good job. But I think they couldn't.

This is beyond all madness. Does anybody understand what implementing Sharia law means? This is bombing the 4 Southern provinces back to the dark ages.

Its far more better to give the 4 provinces to Malaysia than to implement Sharia law. And set up a program to let the Thai people who like, relocate to Thai soil.

Because if they allow this, the next step will be that Muslims who are spread all over Thailand will also demand Sharia courts for them. Just look what is happening in the UK.

I have to restrain myself, because the vocabulary I like to use will meaning a long life ban from TV forum.

I know where you are coming from henry, a measure of autonomy sounds a good idea but give these people an inch and they'll want the whole nine yards.

However, something different has to be done in order to halt the killings so maybe try a system like Malaysia where the Muslims live under Sharia law as they wish and the remainder live under thai civil law. If the Muslims want to live in the dark ages who are we mere infidels to stop them but as long as they understand their laws apply to themselves only. Unfortunately they probably won't go for that as compromise is a word that doesn't exist in their culture.

I know where you are coming from henry, a measure of autonomy sounds a good idea but give these people an inch and they'll want the whole nine yards.

However, something different has to be done in order to halt the killings so maybe try a system like Malaysia where the Muslims live under Sharia law as they wish and the remainder live under thai civil law. If the Muslims want to live in the dark ages who are we mere infidels to stop them but as long as they understand their laws apply to themselves only. Unfortunately they probably won't go for that as compromise is a word that doesn't exist in their culture.

agree with HA and yourself,the thai govt. would be far better looking after their economic welfare rather than implementing sharia law,economically upward mobile people are not interested in sharia law,better to try and make them more wealthy then the people will not be swayed by the mad mullahs.

Its far more better to give the 4 provinces to Malaysia than to implement Sharia law. And set up a program to let the Thai people who like, relocate to Thai soil.

Not that simple I'm afraid Henry. Do you think you could re-submit your plan for further discussion, perhaps you could further outline how you would implement this.

Please keep ur discussion paper short, perhaps 5 to 7 lines might suffice :o ....I have a short attention span, please accept my apologies for this.

Edited by neverdie

It also calls for partial application of Islamic Sharia laws

What on earth does that mean? You cross the provincial line and then what? Burkas for the women?

Are these people off their heads. This would set an enormously dangerous precedent that would lead to eventual inevitable cessation.

It also calls for partial application of Islamic Sharia laws

What on earth does that mean? You cross the provincial line and then what? Burkas for the women?

Are these people off their heads. This would set an enormously dangerous precedent that would lead to eventual inevitable cessation.

they probably are off their head,just look at how they run thailand :o

Not that simple I'm afraid Henry. Do you think you could re-submit your plan for further discussion, perhaps you could further outline how you would implement this.

Please keep ur discussion paper short, perhaps 5 to 7 lines might suffice :o ....I have a short attention span, please accept my apologies for this.

When you have cancer the only solution is to have surgery, before it will infect the rest of the body. So better dump the 4 Southern provinces before they infect the whole country.

Should keep in mind that Indonesia, Afghanistan where once Buddhist countries. And also look what is happening today in The Philippines.

The 4 Southern provinces are a cancer and the situation will only worsening when implement Sharia law. Indigenous Thai will not be safe anymore, ethnic cleansing will occur, just look to Nigeria who have a part where Sharia law is implemented.

Muslim countries have an Dimni tax, so Thailand can implement an Muslim tax to pay for the relocation of ethnic Thai who wish to go Thailand. Because they will be forced to leave anyhow sooner or later, or become Muslim to save their neck, just like ....... see above.

Against Human rights? Yes, but when did Thailand ever show any concern over Human Rights?

agree with HA and yourself,the thai govt. would be far better looking after their economic welfare rather than implementing sharia law,economically upward mobile people are not interested in sharia law,better to try and make them more wealthy then the people will not be swayed by the mad mullahs.

And that's exactly the problem, there faith is the biggest handicap to progress. The first step to progress is education. But they are not interested to have an education, otherwise they will not kill teachers and burn down schools.

Look to Malaysia, take away the Chinese, and the Malaysian economy will collapse. A good example is Indonesia where there are regular pogroms against ethnic Chinese.

I dare you to give me one(1) example of a prosperous Islamic country, or even one(1) democratic Islamic country.

And leave out the Gulf states because there wealth is depending on oil, and all the work is done by immigrants who are treated like slaves.

We should not ignore the truth.

henry,

I'm not disagreeing with anything you've said and theres plenty of examples around the world, but its not that simple, have you ever seen people up and leave their land anywhere in the world for a deal like this?

I do also understand that people often get up and leave there land when it comes down to live or die.

This bit about dumping the southern most provinces has been around for years, you're not expecting the issues to be resolved without further bloodshed, are you? :o

This is beyond all madness. Does anybody understand what implementing Sharia law means? This is bombing the 4 Southern provinces back to the dark ages.

Because if they allow this, the next step will be that Muslims who are spread all over Thailand will also demand Sharia courts for them. Just look what is happening in the UK.

I have to restrain myself, because the vocabulary I like to use will meaning a long life ban from TV forum.

My sentiments exactly. I couldn't have said it better myself. People who are fanatic about implementing sharia law have only one view in mind. Once in place, try to make it expand and more all-encompassing. It is counter to every advance in human rights, human treatment, fairness and equality. Where are all the bleeding heart liberals when you need them?

Although I think something needs to be done in the South, I think this is a mistake. This puts a greater wedge between the Buddhists and the Muslims and a wedge between the moderates and the fundamentalists.

A police and judiciary that is fair, sensitive and non-corrupt would be the place to start. It doesn't mean it has to be lenient, but sensitivity is important.

Laws based on religion are flawed - think about the reaction of the world if Issan was governed under laws based on animism, actually it would be a better result that sharia law.

Sharia law highlights: women who are raped are stoned for having sex outside marriage.

Fundamentalist religions, typically christian, islam and jewish, are invasive and brook no opposition - they should never be encouraged

I agree Henry, the idiots who are proposing the introduction of sharia law are opening a can of worms. When are people going to realise that muslims won't be happy until every country is under sharia law, we all have beards and the woman are dressed like ninja's, give them an inch and they will take a mile. The UK is reaching breaking point and I belive there is going to be a civil war in the next 3 - 5 years and muslims will bear the brunt of it due to there constant demands that everything is changed to suit them and there refusal to adapt to our traditions and way of life, I so wish that the UK goverment would grow a spine like our Aussie cousins.

We perhaps ought to remember the history of these provinces and how Thai Civil law came to be imposed?

And we might consider just how 'just and fairly applied' Thai civil law has been in these provinces.

This is a Thai issue, nothing to do with foriegners and we ought to be mindful of the fact that the roots of the problems in the South are linked directly to 'Foreign interference'.

I'm sure the Thais, Muslim and non Muslim can work this out and that the rabid rantings of Islamophobic westerners are of no use at all.

It really has got to the stage in many places around the world where the Muslims must consider themselves equal to others rather than deserving better/special treatment. When they realise they are such maybe then some progress could be made.

If they tried for a change to put nationality, country, in fact anything before religion, then some progress might be made.

Maybe just take the opportunity to integrate and realise they are just the same as anyone else.

Why should an Egyptian be coming to Thailand to advise the Thais on law

Egyptian Mufti visits Southern provinces

Next will you have the head of the Mormon church come to outline a law for the hilltribes?

This is nothing short of ridiculous.

We perhaps ought to remember the history of these provinces and how Thai Civil law came to be imposed?

And we might consider just how 'just and fairly applied' Thai civil law has been in these provinces.

This is a Thai issue, nothing to do with foriegners and we ought to be mindful of the fact that the roots of the problems in the South are linked directly to 'Foreign interference'.

I'm sure the Thais, Muslim and non Muslim can work this out and that the rabid rantings of Islamophobic westerners are of no use at all.

So tell me GuestHouse, what's an Islamophobic westerner then?

This is a Thai issue, nothing to do with foriegners ...

It is a Thai issue when looking solely at Thailand. However, when taken in the context of other Muslim enclaves in other countries also trying to implement sharia law, it is symptomatic of a larger issue. I'm talking about countries like the US, UK, Holland, Germany, France, Spain, etc.

I'd agree completely with your point that the distribution of justice and enforcement of law has not been equally applied in the south. But the same could be said for numerous other areas of the country as well. I don't see turning over the existing laws to an entirely new form of law. What about the non-Muslim Thai's living in the area?

You've lived and worked in countries with sharia law, as have I. The more progressive of those nations are moderating in many aspects of daily life, including interpretation of sharia law. I'm sure you know the muqtawa in Saudi don't carry the same clout that they once did. I even heard stories of muqtawa "disappearing" for getting involved in something they perhaps shouldn't have.

Rather than cede an entire area of the country to an entire new form of law, I would much rather see the law enforced fairly and equally across the entire country, and let the Muslim Thai population be free to live the way they want to live. And vice versa. I don't see either happening any time soon, unfortunately.

But what about the Muslim Malaysians ? If you turn the Southern provinces of Thailand into an Islamic area and introduce Sharia.. Where are the Malaysians going to go at the weekend for booze and cheap sex ? The business owners in Had Yai and Songkhla will all have to close their bars and karaoke joints.. Not to mention the ones nearer the border... What are they gonna do without the thousands of Malaysian tourists coming every weekend ?

But seriously.

How can such a small minority of extremists dictate what happens to the rights of the majority ? There is no way the average Thai living in Yala, Songkhla etc wants Sharia Law.. Why don't muslims who wish to live under strick islamic laws just move to Saudi, Brunei or somewhere that is already strongly Islamic ? Then they can leave the rest of us and the moderates to live in peace and mind our own business..

henry,

I'm not disagreeing with anything you've said and theres plenty of examples around the world, but its not that simple, have you ever seen people up and leave their land anywhere in the world for a deal like this?

I do also understand that people often get up and leave there land when it comes down to live or die.

It happened in a certain Muslim country(Algeria) where they drove out more than 1 million non Ethnic Muslim people in 1962. Even most of them stayed there for generations.They had about 30 day's to pick up their belongings and leave the country. Bank accounts where blocked, must abandon their houses and bussiness whithout any compensation.

This bit about dumping the southern most provinces has been around for years, you're not expecting the issues to be resolved without further bloodshed, are you? :o

I'm an realist and have some historical knowledge, so I'm afraid Thailand is moved themselves in a catch 22 situation. Implementing Sharia law will be seen as a sign of weakness and more violence will occur.

IMHO it make no sense to try to avoid the unavoidable, till than it will only cost thousands of life's and billions of Baht. So dump them now will be much cheaper and will save then thousands of life's.

Even making an agreement to protect the rights of non-Muslims will be not worth the paper where its written on.

Do you honestly believe that once the Sharia law is implemented in the 4 Southern provinces, violence will stop towards teachers, Monks and other ethnic Thai people? :D

Henry,

While I agree with your sentiments, and my first reaction to the OP was the same as yours...Just give em the provinces. I thought about it and realised that now you've given up part of your country, they are still on your doorstep, is it going to happen again?? Might be better to hold the line and work out a deal that Muslims can emigrate to Muslim countries with the assistance of the Thai government. I'm not going to say anymore as I also do not wish to be banned from TV! :o

• 2 months later...

What are the real problems in the south? Why have they not been

able to find a solution yet? Few Thais want to hear the truth about the south. The

reality is that there are many reasons that can be sought out for the

southern Thailand conflict - economic inequality, high rate of

unemployment, economic discrimination and alienation, separatist

movement, drug problems, police and military corruption and abuse of

power, cultural discrimination etc.

But the most important fact that most seem to forget is that the

southern Thai provinces of Narathiwat, Yala, Patani, Songkhla and

Satun were established through Thailand’s colonisation. And that is

the fundamental reason for the southern Thai conflict. It was the

British-Siam treaty of 1902 that gave these Malay provinces to

Thailand. The people are ethnic Malay. They were forced to change

their language, their culture, their allegiances, and their way of

life. Hundreds of thousands of people from Issan were re-located to

these provinces, in much the same way China is re-locating people to

Tibet, to force integration. Is there anything "just" about the way

Thailand is dealing with the people of the south? Is there no wonder

these problems seem to be without a solution?

This colonisation is the real issue, the rest are just the effects

arising from the real issue. Even after more than hundred years of

total political, economic and cultural colonisation by the Thai

government, the people of southern Thailand are adamant on reclaiming

their history, politics, economy, culture and dignity.

Household income improved from 2002-2004 by 21.99%, 19.27%, and 21.28%

for Pattani, Yala, and Narathiwat, respectively. For comparison,

income growth for all of Thailand in the same period was just 9.4%.

The percentage of people living below the poverty line also fell, from

40%, 36%, and 33% in 2000 to 18%, 10%, and 23% in 2004 for Narathiwat,

Narathiwat, and Yala, respectively. By 2004, the 3 provinces had

310,000 people living below the poverty line, compared to 610,000 in

2000. However, 45% of all poor Southerners lived in the 3 border

provinces.

In general, Muslims in the border provinces have lower levels of

educational attainment compared to their Buddhist neighbors. 69.80% of

the Muslim population in the border provinces have only a primary

school education, compared with 49.6% of Buddhists in the same

provinces. Only 9.20% of Muslims have completed secondary education

(including those who graduated from private Islamic schools), compared

to 13.20% of Buddhists. Only 1.70% of the Muslim population have a

bachelor’s degree, while 9.70% of Buddhists hold undergraduate

degrees. However, one must keep in mind that schools are taught in

Thai, and there is much resentment and even outright pulling of

children out of Thai run schools.

Muslims also had reduced employment opportunities compared to their

Buddhist neighbors. Government officials comprised only 2.4% of all

working Muslims in the provinces, compared with 19.2% of all working

Buddhists. Jobs in the Thai public sector are difficult to obtain for

those Muslim students who do not ever fully accept the Thai language

or the Thai education system. Insurgent attacks on economic targets

are further reducing employment opportunities for both Muslims and

Buddhists in the provinces.

What is happening in southern Thailand now is a natural response from

any people who have been politically, economically and culturally

stripped - that is to resist and fight back.

Given the historical background of southern Thailand, there is no

other way to end this bloody conflict except by allowing the southern

Thai people to determine their own destiny. And this calls for nothing

less than a referendum. Or re-integrating this land back to Malaysian

governance. I realize with the level of Thai pride, this will never

happen. But, it is a solution that would allow Thailand to get back to

addressing it's far more urgent problems.

Has anybody an idea if Malaysia would like to re-integrate these provinces?

And do the people affected want to be back under Malaysian rule?

Or is it all just stirred up fuss, based on these old grounds, to get it "their way"?

The way some people wish to have it, what their hidden agenda?

Free territory, self rule autonomy, to turn this area into the largest smuggling hub?

As the BP reports today all this "unrest" might be used as "cover"

Security authorities have arrested three Rohingya allegedly involved in passport forgery and human and weapons trafficking, and said to be linked to the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam in Sri Lanka and insurgents in the far South.

They were also suspected of being connected with al-Qaeda terrorists.

The arrest of Mohammad Ali Hussein, Mohammad Mudbahem and Chubri Awae followed a joint operation between the Department of Special Investigation, armed forces and immigration police.

Mr Mohammad Ali was arrested on Monday at his Thai wife's house in Chaiyaphum's Kaset Sombun district after he sneaked into Thailand early this month. His former aide, Mr Mohammad Mudbahem, was nabbed in Songkhla's Hat Yai district on the same day. The date and place where Mr Chubri was caught remained unclear.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/1858...spects-capturedSource:

Well, I don't know about the "al Qaeda" Issue, but the criminal aspect is what is risen by locals here in the south...

Then the BP in latest news reports online that the PM rejects already exactly the "al Qeada" connection claim...

PM: Insurgents not linked to al-Qaeda

By: Bangkok Post.com

Published: 17/06/2009 at 11:32 AM

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva says he does not believe the insurgents operating in the far South of Thailand are linked to the al-Qaeda network.

The government knows who it is fighting in the southern border provinces, he said. The insurgent groups active there had no clear organisation

I think it's a Smart move. The area in the south was it's own country untill just around 100 Years ago when it was forceably annexed by Thailand. How can anyone expect them to just throw away their culture and faith in just a few generations to something totaly in contrast to them. I say set up puppet Mula's to act as your tax collecting arms and let them think they are free. Kinda like Hong Kong these days in China or Texas in the US. :)

WHat was the name of that country back then? I can't find anything about it. I'm not a Thailand expert but my blood is boiling. I'm sick of muslims and their small minded ideology. Every country in the world has problems with muslims, how long are we going to take their bullcrap? Instead of bending for those bunch of muslim imbeciles, the government could take military action, spineless pussies.

The whole world is in conflict with muslims and it has to end today.

We need a real history experts here, I think most of the earlier versions were just plain nonsense - about Thaialnd colonising them and about them being part of Malaysia and so on.

Though their ethnically close to Malays, they don't speak the same language, for example. I don't think they were ever truly independent either.

Also muslims in Satun and Songkla have no insurgency problems, despite sharing the same history.

Well said GH.

But the thought of abandoning the 50% of the population who will suffer most under sharia (most women though some men as well)to patriarchal mad mullahs and their murderous henchmen still floods my stomach with despair and my heart with sadness.

Saw a brilliant film recently called “Citzizen Juling”, in Thai with Engl. subtitles. 3 ½ hours of interviews with southerners in the village where she (a teacher from the north) was murdered. They were all deeply distressed and had loved and admired her, and they were spliced with interviews with her family. Made with a human rights campaigner who sits in the Thai Senate. It also included interviews and footage of the Tak Bai or Cru See tribunal, her final days in hospital coma, doctors, visitors etc.

What struck me most was a) it painted a totally human and conciliatory picture of the south unlike any I’ve ever seen. I still have no desire to go there, but it made the whole issue much more human and opened a wide window on the region. The kicking around of this football for a century now affects REAL people.

And :) I’ll not forget the southern girls who spoke eagerly to the camera about their love of going to school and learning, who then piped down and became uncomfortable and subdued as male watchers came along to monitor the interview from the side. Pure evil.

Nor can I forget c) the northern family of Juling who are a model of Thai compassion and forgiveness – who also made the journey south during the film.

The problem is not only with Islam. Anyone who thinks a Catholic (or Protestant) theocracy would be any better just has to look at what they do wherever they still manage to gain untrammeled power – such as the Taliban who terrorized the kids’ homes in Ireland (though does anyone think madrassa orphanages in North-West Frontier province are likely to be any different?)