O-a Visa: Re-entry Permit Vs Visa Expiry Date

I received the following message from a friend:

I went in to Hua Hin Immigration the other day for my regular 90-day check-in. No problem with that, and all was done to satisfaction in 3 minutes.

First some background:

• I am in Thailand on a Non-Immigrant 12-month multiple entry 'O-A' visa (retirement).
  • I received it in Vancouver on August 13, 2008. The visa document states that I must enter Thailand no later than August 12, 2009.
  • I entered Thailand one month later, on September 15, 2008, at which time I received a passport entry stamp stating the arrival date and that I had until September 14, 2009 before I must leave Thailand.

I will be leaving Thailand on April 2, 2009 (with re-entry document) and coming back to Thailand 'around' September 3rd, giving me until Sept 14th to extend the retirement visa.

But the other day the Imm agent startled me by pointing out that I had in fact to be back in Thailand by August 12 ... even though my entry stamp says I am OK to stay in Thailand until September 14th

Can you enlighten me?

I of course will come back by Aug 12 if necessary to keep my Retirement visa ... but I would prefer not to.

Here are a couple of photos of the relevant pages from my passport:

visa1.jpg visa2.jpg

Hope you can shed some light on this.

To which I replied:

I agree that the Immigration officer was incorrect, since you have a re-entry permit. (Assuming it is a B3800 multiple-entry re-entry permit, and not a B1000 single-entry permit that you've already used.)

If you did not have a re-entry permit, she would be correct that you could not return to Thailand after August 11.

However, as you noted, you currently have permission-to-stay until September 14. Since you have a re-entry permit you keep that September 14 date.

I'd appreciate feedback on his original question and/or my reply: did I answer correctly?

(FYI, he replied later and said it was, in fact, the B3800 multiple-entry re-entry permit he has. Another FYI: I am posting his message with his consent, on the provision I removed his personal identifying data.)

Your answer was more or less correct. The immigration officer made a mistake.

But he doesn't have a re-entry permit. He has a multiple entry O-A. Each time he comes to Thailand within the validity of the visa he will get permission to stay for 1 year. If he leaves and re-enter just before 12 aug 2009 he will get a new 1 year permission to stay. If he leaves after 12 aug. he will need a re-entry permit to keep his permission to stay alive.

As the friend has a multiple entry 'O-A' retirement visa valid until 12 August 2009 he can exit and re-enter Thailand before 12 August 2009 and receive another 1 year Admitted Until (permission to stay) date stamp. His current Admitted Until stamp is valid until 14 September 2009. His stated itinerary, out 2 April and back around 3 September, requires the use of a separate re-entry permit to keep the current Admitted Until stamp alive. He reportedly has the required re-entry permit.

Should your friend stick to his itinerary he must apply for a 1 year extension of stay based on retirement before 14 September 2009. His schedule is close. Is he aware of the requirements for getting an extension of stay based on retirement? Does he have his finances in order for the extension?

Edited by InterestedObserver

I can see now that my reference about the single-entry re-entry permit was off the mark.

In fact, he probably should NOT have spent B3800 for a multiple-entry re-entry permit since his visa is multiple entry, so he's only probably only going to use the re-entry permit *once* -- to enter Thailand around Sept 3rd.

To InterestedObserver: I'm pretty sure he knows the requirements for getting an extension and has met the requirements, but I'll double check. Thanks for that pointer.

Thanks! I knew (and told him) that we'd get expert advice by posting here!

Okay, I thought I'd run this by the experts here and see if I perjured myself in my reply to my friend:

Sadly, you probably overpaid by getting the B3800 multiple-entry re-entry permit. You really only need a B1000 single-entry re-entry permit. If it's any consolation, had you asked me before you got it, I would have recommended it (and been wrong) as well.

Since your visa is multiple-entry, you enter on your visa as many times as you want, up until August 11, 2009.

Your re-entry permit won't be used unless/until you enter Thailand on/after August 12, 2009.

So, based on your current plans, your re-entry permit will probably only be used *once*, for an entry between August 12, 2009, and September 14, 2009.

and

BTW, there was a change in Immigrations laws that now require you apply for the extension in the same area where you live, so, for example, you can not go to the Canadian Embassy and then go to the Suan Phlu Immigation Office in Banagkok while you are there. You must return to Hua Hin and get the extension there.

Another option you might have: While you are in Canada, see if the Vancouver consulate will issue you a new O-A visa. Some consulates only issue one per lifetime, others are more accommodating. Of course, that REALLY makes your B3800 re-entry permit useless.

Just to make sure we're not overlooking a vital detail here, when did you receive you re-entry permit? Was it during your current stay so that it reads "Valid until Sept 14, 2009"? If not, it's a whole 'nother kettle of fish!

And, another option would be to make a border run before you leave for Canada on April 2nd. This would give you another six months before you'd need to apply for an extension. Say you go to Cambodia and return on March 31, you would be stamped with a permission-to-stay in Thailand of March 30, 2010. HOWEVER, you'd need a new re-entry permit, since the one you have now is only valid until Sept 14, 2009...

Does that sound correct?

But he doesn't have a re-entry permit. He has a multiple entry O-A. Each time he comes to Thailand within the validity of the visa he will get permission to stay for 1 year. If he leaves and re-enter just before 12 aug 2009 he will get a new 1 year permission to stay

Mario, you are getting me confused here with your terminology, You seem to be saying in the above sentences that each time he returns on his O-A, he gets an additional year on a permission to stay stamp.

I am looking at my Non IM type O and after getting it 1/31/08 and entering Thai on 2/1/08 I was given an permission to stay stamp in Nong Khai until 4/30/08, 3 months. I changed this to a retirment visa in Maesai on 4/25/08 with permission to stay until 4/30/09. I have been out and back two times with re-entry permits and both times the permission to stay was granted until 4/30/09, the original date after changing to the retirement visa. All of this info is off my passport and not from memory this time, lol.

From what you said, I should have gotten a new 1 year permission to stay each time.

Secondly, I think what the op was describing, and what I was told at Maesai, is that to extend my retirement permission to stay for one year, I would have to apply not less than 30 days prior to the expiry of my 04/30/09 date. That is why they told him to come back no later than the 12 of Aug. perhaps.

PS: I hate that the re-entry permit takes one entire page of the passport! And that immig couldn't let me apply 90 or so days early!!

But he doesn't have a re-entry permit. He has a multiple entry O-A. Each time he comes to Thailand within the validity of the visa he will get permission to stay for 1 year. If he leaves and re-enter just before 12 aug 2009 he will get a new 1 year permission to stay

Mario, you are getting me confused here with your terminology, You seem to be saying in the above sentences that each time he returns on his O-A, he gets an additional year on a permission to stay stamp.

I am looking at my Non IM type O and after getting it 1/31/08 and entering Thai on 2/1/08 I was given an permission to stay stamp in Nong Khai until 4/30/08, 3 months. I changed this to a retirment visa in Maesai on 4/25/08 with permission to stay until 4/30/09. I have been out and back two times with re-entry permits and both times the permission to stay was granted until 4/30/09, the original date after changing to the retirement visa. All of this info is off my passport and not from memory this time, lol.

From what you said, I should have gotten a new 1 year permission to stay each time.

Secondly, I think what the op was describing, and what I was told at Maesai, is that to extend my retirement permission to stay for one year, I would have to apply not less than 30 days prior to the expiry of my 04/30/09 date. That is why they told him to come back no later than the 12 of Aug. perhaps.

PS: I hate that the re-entry permit takes one entire page of the passport! And that immig couldn't let me apply 90 or so days early!!

Mario is correct. With a Non O-A Visa Multi Entry each time you enter you will get a 12 month permision to stay. Up to the expiry date of the Visa.

What you have is a 12 month extension of your temporary permision to stay. Not a Visa .Not the same thing.

Mario is correct. With a Non O-A Visa Multi Entry each time you enter you will get a 12 month permision to stay. Up to the expiry date of the Visa.

What you have is a 12 month extension of your temporary permision to stay. Not a Visa .Not the same thing.

I respectfully submit that i applied for and was granted a 12 month retirement visa, I am getting the impression that you I read that retirement visas are visas and need to be renewed every year.

I respectfully submit that i applied for and was granted a 12 month retirement visa, I am getting the impression that you I read that retirement visas are visas and need to be renewed every year.

The visa that you have has an expiration date associated with it. Once it has expired or been used for entry into Thailand it is no longer valid, unless it is a multi-entry visa. Once inside Thailand you are governed by the Admitted Until (permission to stay) date stamped in your passport. Just before your permission to stay date is due to expire, you can apply for an extension of stay based on retirement at immigration. This is what you renewed every year, your extension of stay, not your visa which has expired by then.

1. The OP needs a re-entry permit because next entry will be after his current visa expires. It will be before his current permitted to stay expires so a re-entry permit keeps that alive and he can enter and then extend his stay at Immigration for one year using the normal TM.7 process.

2. He could also just forget it and leave, obtain a new multi entry OA visa in his home country and return using that. But that would require new medical/police reports so probably would not be cost effective.

3. IraqRon: You used a TM.7 to apply for a one year extension of stay from an immigration office in Thailand. You entered Thailand earlier on a single entry non immigrant O visa which provided a 90 day permitted to stay - which you extended for one year with that TM.7. You do not have a visa and to enter Thailand again you must use a re-entry permit to keep your current one year permitted to stay alive. The OA visa is a different ball game.

1. The OP needs a re-entry permit because next entry will be after his current visa expires. It will be before his current permitted to stay expires so a re-entry permit keeps that alive and he can enter and then extend his stay at Immigration for one year using the normal TM.7 process.

2. He could also just forget it and leave, obtain a new multi entry OA visa in his home country and return using that. But that would require new medical/police reports so probably would not be cost effective.

3. IraqRon: You used a TM.7 to apply for a one year extension of stay from an immigration office in Thailand. You entered Thailand earlier on a single entry non immigrant O visa which provided a 90 day permitted to stay - which you extended for one year with that TM.7. You do not have a visa and to enter Thailand again you must use a re-entry permit to keep your current one year permitted to stay alive. The OA visa is a different ball game.

The Definitive Answer. :o

In applying the info above to my scenario, is the following correct?

My O-A multi-entry visa expires Sept. 1, 2009. I will leave and re-enter Thailand in next few weeks, but let's say April 5, 2009 to get a new permission to stay stamp, which will get me to April 5, 2010.

But I will soon leave Thailand for Canada for seven months and return in mid-November, 2009. This means my visa will have expired. So the question: Must I go to Suan Plu (my home imm office) to get a re-entry permit? I understand that these are not issued at the airport. Is this true? Do these permits have expiration dates?

Thanks so much.

My O-A multi-entry visa expires Sept. 1, 2009. I will leave and re-enter Thailand in next few weeks, but let's say April 5, 2009 to get a new permission to stay stamp, which will get me to April 5, 2010.

But I will soon leave Thailand for Canada for seven months and return in mid-November, 2009. This means my visa will have expired. So the question: Must I go to Suan Plu (my home imm office) to get a re-entry permit? I understand that these are not issued at the airport. Is this true? Do these permits have expiration dates?

Thanks so much.

Yes you need a re-entry permit, and it's not available at the airport. It will expire on 4 April 2010, your hypothetical 2nd entry expiration date.

Thanks so much.

Yes. You will need to get a Re Entry Permit from Suan Phlu. 1,000 Baht. It will expire the same date as your permision to stay date. April 5 2010.

The permission to stay stamp will be affixed at the entry point you use to return to Thailand. All have the ability to do that.

Or are you talking about obtaining the re-entry permit that will allow your new entry? If that is the case you must apply for it at the same office you obtained your current extension of stay (normally). But as you are here on a OA visa entry you should use the office that your 90 day address reports are being made to/your current location.

When you return to Thailand you will write the re-entry permit information in the visa section of your arrival card - officer will read that and stamp you for the date indicated on your re-entry permit (5 April 2010 in your example). It is a good idea to check that before you leave the immigration area.

Thanks to wpcoe for starting the original post . . . thanks VERY much for Lopburi3's very clear and concise answer . . . and thanks to Lite Beer for pointing out it's definitiveness.

I am the the owner of the original visa question on this thread, and I asked wpcoe (on another Board, where he has a different handle and much useful visa knowledge) some questions regarding my re-entry options ... which he answered privately, but also posted on this Board.

As a first-time holder of an Non Imm Type O-A 12-month Visa I must admit to being a little confused by the different dates I have in my passport, and ~ above all ~ not really 'getting' the fundamental differences between Visa ending dates and "Admitted Until" dates ... as well as the differences between holding a 'visa' and having a 'permission to extend stay'.

I get it now! Thanks again to the 3 mentioned above, and this thread in general.

Cheers ...

Edited by nongkhai

If he has the finances in a Thai bank already, he would not need a Multi OA, a single entry O would be enough and no need for medical/police reports

Thanks to wpcoe for starting the original post . . . thanks VERY much for Lopburi3's very clear and concise answer . . . and thanks to Lite Beer for pointing out it's definitiveness.

I am the the owner of the original visa question on this thread, and I asked wpcoe (on another Board, where he has a different handle and much useful visa knowledge) some questions regarding my re-entry options ... which he answered privately, but also posted on this Board.

As a first-time holder of an Non Imm Type O-A 12-month Visa I must admit to being a little confused by the different dates I have in my passport, and ~ above all ~ not really 'getting' the fundamental differences between Visa ending dates and "Admitted Until" dates ... as well as the differences between holding a 'visa' and having a 'permission to extend stay'.

I get it now! Thanks again to the 3 mentioned above, and this thread in general.

Cheers ...

Now if I may add my 50 satang to this. For the sake of arguement we will assume (using common vernacular) that Friend has arrived in Thailand on a Non-Immigrant O-A Visa commonly referred to as a retirement visa. We won't parse words here just common talk.

The retirement visa (extension) is valid for a period of one year from the date of issue. If you enter Thailand on any other type of visa and subsequently obtain a retirement visa The validity is from the date you last entered the Kingdom*.

A re-entry permit IS required if you plan to leave the Kingdom at any time during the validity of your visa. Failure to do so voids your visa upon departure and upon return you must complete the process all over to re-obtain the retirement visa.

IF your visa expires while you are out of the Kingdom, you must again start the process over when you return or apply for another renewal (extension) from the Thai Embassy your home country (or wherever you are staying).

If you have a re-entry permit, you are out of the Kingdom and your visa expires, so does the re-entry permit. You can still get back into the Kingdom but it would be on a VOA if another Non-Immigrant O Visa had not been obtained.

* The exception to all this is if you come in on a VOA (Visa On Arrival). You can upgrade to a retirement visa with only a VOA. You will first apply for a Non-Immigrant O Visa and pay B1900. Then you will apply for the retirement visa and pay an additional B1900. The retirement visa will be valid for a period of 15 months from the date you apply. REASON: You upgrade to a Non-Immigrant O valid for 90 days, then the retirement visa is added on top of that. The date on the reitrement visa stamp is the date for renewal (extension).

Note: I consider a re-entry permit a mandatory item now. In case you must leave the country in an emergency you will not be put in a bind since the immigration office at the airport is no longer open.

I hope I haven't confused the issue too much!

Now if I may add my 50 satang to this. For the sake of arguement we will assume (using common vernacular) that Friend has arrived in Thailand on a Non-Immigrant O-A Visa commonly referred to as a retirement visa. We won't parse words here just common talk.

The retirement visa (extension) is valid for a period of one year from the date of issue. If you enter Thailand on any other type of visa and subsequently obtain a retirement visa The validity is from the date you last entered the Kingdom*.

A re-entry permit IS required if you plan to leave the Kingdom at any time during the validity of your visa. Failure to do so voids your visa upon departure and upon return you must complete the process all over to re-obtain the retirement visa.

IF your visa expires while you are out of the Kingdom, you must again start the process over when you return or apply for another renewal (extension) from the Thai Embassy your home country (or wherever you are staying).

If you have a re-entry permit, you are out of the Kingdom and your visa expires, so does the re-entry permit. You can still get back into the Kingdom but it would be on a VOA if another Non-Immigrant O Visa had not been obtained.

* The exception to all this is if you come in on a VOA (Visa On Arrival). You can upgrade to a retirement visa with only a VOA. You will first apply for a Non-Immigrant O Visa and pay B1900. Then you will apply for the retirement visa and pay an additional B1900. The retirement visa will be valid for a period of 15 months from the date you apply. REASON: You upgrade to a Non-Immigrant O valid for 90 days, then the retirement visa is added on top of that. The date on the reitrement visa stamp is the date for renewal (extension).

Note: I consider a re-entry permit a mandatory item now. In case you must leave the country in an emergency you will not be put in a bind since the immigration office at the airport is no longer open.

You have.

Most nationalities are not entitled to a VOA. These are for a few Nationalities, give an entry for 15 days and usually cost 1,000 Baht although free at the moment.

You are talking about a Visa Exempt Entry. Not the same thing.

The rest of your post was just as confusing by mixing up all the wrong terms.

The retirement visa OA is valid for one year from date of issue. Entry permitted to stay stamp is one year from date of entry. The visa expires on entry if single entry type.

A one year extension of stay on any type of visa is from the expiration date of your current entry stamp - not from your entry date (that changed years ago).

A re-entry permit is only required if you want to keep your current permitted to stay until date alive. If a visa entry it keeps that alive - if an extension of stay it keeps that alive. Upon return you would apply for a new extension of stay - not a retirement visa.

You visa expires on entry/use if single entry type. You obtain a new visa at an Embassy/consulate.

Your re-entry permit has nothing to do with visa - it has the same date as your permitted to stay until stamp. If you do not return before that date it is no longer valid for use. You can enter visa exempt or with a visa. VOA is not available to most travelers.

You can change from a tourist visa entry or a visa exempt entry at a cost of 2,000 baht for the non immigrant visa and then a cost of 1,900 baht for normal TM.7 extension of stay.

In a true emergency the airport can issue a re-entry permit. But much better to have one in your passport if you expect to travel.

Edited by lopburi3

As a short denouement to this thread:

As explained in the original post my O-A 12-mth Visa has 'ending' date of August 12/09.

But this morning, I had no problem receiving a re-entry stamp (single re-entry, 1000 baht) allowing me to re-enter Thailand on any date before Sept 14/09 (i.e. 12 moths after my entry on Sept 15/08). The fact that the actual visa expires on Aug 12 was not an issue.

Consequently, I am able to receive my 12 month extension of permission to stay in Thailand any time between next arrival date (which will be 'about' Sept 3) and Sept. 14th.

For those contemplating the re-entry application (i.e. Imm Form RM.8) you will need a passport-size photo and a photocopy of your (1) passport personal information page, (2) the original entry/exit form (stapled in your passport), and (3) your visa and 'Admitted Until' stamp page.

All is well, and once again, thanks for all the advice.

Cheers ...

Sorry, but I'm getting lost here amid the varying posts....

I do know this....I have a similar situation upcoming, in that I will want to convert my current multi entry business visa to a retirement extension. I will turn 50 this June 20. My current one-year multi entry business visa has a use before June 22, 09 date. But I'll probably have a trip to the U.S. and then back to BKK in early-mid June 09, meaning I'll get another 3 month entry stamp (running until mid-Sept. 09) at that time, prior to the expiration of my current business visa.

So, do I need to do the conversion from business visa to retirement extension before my current business visa expires on June 22, 09, or, can I do the conversion after the visa has expired but before the permission to stay date of Sept. 09? And is there any difference in fees or process depending on which timeframe I end up doing???

Thanks very much....

There is no price difference. You have to do the extension based on retirement before your permission to stay expires. You are adviced to do it about 3 weeks in advance, so if you are missing some documents you have enough time to arange for it.

As explained in the original post my O-A 12-mth Visa has 'ending' date of August 12/09.

But this morning, I had no problem receiving a re-entry stamp (single re-entry, 1000 baht) allowing me to re-enter Thailand on any date before Sept 14/09 (i.e. 12 moths after my entry on Sept 15/08). The fact that the actual visa expires on Aug 12 was not an issue.

Consequently, I am able to receive my 12 month extension of permission to stay in Thailand any time between next arrival date (which will be 'about' Sept 3) and Sept. 14th.

Cheers ...

The way I see it is that if you return on 3rd Sept. You will be given a stay of 30 days Visa Exempt OR 10 days on your Re Entry Permit as your Visa has expired on Aug 12th.

You actually have to do a border run before Aug 12th to get another 12 months. Then you can leave and use the Re Entry Permit.

A Re Entry Permit only keeps your permision of stay alive, it does not extend the life of your Visa.

Returning on 3rd September means that you will have to go to Immigration and apply for a 12 month extension for Retirement

Requirements here. 2.22.

There is no price difference. You have to do the extension based on retirement before your permission to stay expires. You are adviced to do it about 3 weeks in advance, so if you are missing some documents you have enough time to arange for it.

Yes. Late August early September will be fine. As said the fee is 1,900 Baht.

Cheers ...

The way I see it is that if you return on 3rd Sept. You will be given a stay of 30 days Visa Exempt OR 10 days on your Re Entry Permit as your Visa has expired on Aug 12th.

You actually have to do a border run before Aug 12th to get another 12 months. Then you can leave and use the Re Entry Permit.

A Re Entry Permit only keeps your permision of stay alive, it does not extend the life of your Visa.

Returning on 3rd September means that you will have to go to Immigration and apply for a 12 month extension for Retirement

This is the original posters friend it seems so the information is from that post - his OA visa has already been used to obtain a permitted to stay until stamp of September 14 and he will have a re-entry permit of that date and enter using it before that date - the original visa expiration date is not an issue.

This is the original posters friend it seems so the information is from that post - his OA visa has already been used to obtain a permitted to stay until stamp of September 14 and he will have a re-entry permit of that date and enter using it before that date - the original visa expiration date is not an issue.

Agree, but as the original Visa is a Multi Entry It would have been better for him if he could have used the second 12 month entry.

I was just making sure that he realised that he now has to apply for an extension at Immigration.

As others have said. Great to have you sharing your knowledge with us all.