Thailand Plans To Stream Live Webcasts Of Prison..

mffun

Thailand to webcast last moments of death- row prisoners

Last Updated Mon, 17 Jan 2005 14:15:51 EST

CBC News

BANGKOK - Thailand plans to stream live webcasts of prison life – including the last minutes of an inmate before he's executed – to try to deter criminals.

Cameras have already been set up at Bangkwang maximum-security prison in Bangkok, which houses more than 6,000 inmates, Thai Corrections officials said Monday.

"From now on people can see life in prison through the internet," said the head of the Corrections Department, Nathee Chitsawang, who added that a date hasn't been set to start the broadcasts.

Web audiences will be able to watch the daily lives of inmates, including nearly 1,000 of them who have been sentenced to death, he said.

Cameras will track condemned men from their cells to their execution.

"The internet will show how we treat the convicts in their last minutes, including the preparation process, but at the time of execution, the viewer will be allowed to see only part of the process," Nathee said.

Nathee said the broadcasts are primarily aimed at deterring potential criminals, especially in the burgeoning drug trade. Thailand executes convicted drug traffickers.

Amnesty International Thailand has condemned the plan, arguing that it would violate a prisoner's rights.

• 2 years later...

sorry , but i think it is a good idea.

criminals , once they step outside the norms of society by breaking the law , should forfeit their human rights , just as they have overlooked the human rights of their victims.

pity it will never happen though.

does poor mean not having enough to buy food , or not having enough to upgrade the tv to a 40 inch plasma , like the house next door.

by criminals , i mean those who murder , rape and use violence.

poverty is rarely an excuse for extreme crime , although liberals and social workers often use it as an excuse.

like i said , those who turn to crime should have any humans rights forfeited.

Tax, my point was, how can streaming video of prisoners deter other criminals, if most of the criminals dont have a computer, an internet connection or even be able to use one in the first place. Remember we are talking about Thailand, not the US, Aus, Uk or otherwise.

The majority of people in Bang Kwan are not computer savvy thats for sure, nor are the many others that are about to commit crimes. The government is saying it will deter other criminals, how?????

It is another macabre way to view people suffering and if they are lucky to be watching on the night, they might get to see a lead up to an execution. Pop Corn time!

If the government said the reason was to shame the prisoner, so be it, but deter others? no, I dont think it will.

I wonder how much to advertise on their site? :D:o

Edited by Tornado

Tax, my point was, how can streaming video of prisoners deter other criminals, if most of the criminals dont have a computer, an internet connection or even be able to use one in the first place. Remember we are talking about Thailand, not the US, Aus, Uk or otherwise.

The majority of people in Bang Kwan are not computer savvy thats for sure, nor are the many others that are about to commit crimes. The government is saying it will deter other criminals, how?????

It is another macabre way to view people suffering and if they are lucky to be watching on the night, they might get to see a lead up to an execution. Pop Corn time!

If the government said the reason was to shame the prisoner, so be it, but deter others? no, I dont think it will.

I wonder how much to advertise on their site? :D:o

You've practically said everything I wanted to, Tornado. This seems (IMO) to be more about entertainment value for the ghoulish than deterring criminals. So, potential crims are going to go to their local internet cafe, sit & watch an execution and think "Oh, that's bad, I won't do the crime then"? Don't think so. Let's hope this was dropped in the 2 years since the OP. :D

The bad guys don't have to own a computer to watch this stuff (not to mention kids who are on the verge of becoming baddies who can watch this stuff). Thanks to the likes of Family DVD and AJ DVD... most paupers can own a VCD/DVD player. I'm sure some folks with enough spare time will turn these webcasts into media clips that can be viewed on mobile phones as well. And I'm sure we all know how many poor folks own the latest mobile phones.

:o

There as not been an execution in Thailand since 2004 (more here on that). This idea of live Streaming of inmates and showing preparations before and up to the execution is an idea the previous government thought up and it will probably never happen now.

What kind of barbaric society do we want to live in? I certainly wouldn't want my children witnessing such a thing, the whole idea is wrong as is the death penalty.

Quote from Amnesty:

"There is no evidence to suggest that the death penalty has any unique deterrent effect on crime rates. If Thailand wishes to take serious steps towards protecting human rights, it should pursue policies to combat crime that do not violate human rights, and take steps to abolish the death penalty, in line with the global trend towards abolition," Amnesty International said. "Even those in favour of the death penalty concede that it is an irreversible punishment, and that the possibility of judicial error in capital trials risks executing the innocent. This is a risk that Thailand should not be prepared to take." (Full article here)

I very much doubt it would deter criminals. After all, petty theft was rampant at public executions in Britain, even though theft was punished by death.

I also do not like the idea of broadcasting the condemmeds last moments. No matter how despicable the crime, a man is entitled to privacy when preparing to meet his maker.

fair point tornado , but the publicising of punishments is till , in my view , a good thing.

i am not ashamed to admit that i retain a somewhat medieval view to crime and punishment.

nobody forces anyone to rape , to murder , to violently attack or to rob with violence.

they have made a choice to do it , knowing that capture and punishment could be the result.

the have weighed up the odds , and taken the chance. they know the punishment that they may receive , whether the punishment is 10 hours of community service or a public flogging , they know before they commit the crime what may happen to them , and cant complain when they receive it.

the guilty should not be too upset , or go crying to amnesty international , or start demanding respect for their human rights , should their punishment be broadcast to the population , some of who may have suffered at their hands.

humiliation and disgrace before the general public should be a part of any punishment.

for those that choose to operate outside the bounds of decency or outside the limits of tolerable behaviour and cause grief and suffering to others , an example should be made of them for all to see.

of course in thailand , nobody knows for sure who is guilty and who is innocent , least of all the police and the courts.

but thats another topic altogether.

Does anyone know how many criminals get murdered (or as they call it: executed) by Thailand?

Click on this link for the answer to that:

http://www.correct.go.th/eng/deathpenalty.htm

Do I understand it right, the last year all got a royal pardon, so 2005 and 2006 none were killed?

1989-1996 also none were killed but a pretty high number between (why??)

How true is that page (considering that they don't know the difference between 1889 and 1989)?

Does anyone know how many criminals get murdered (or as they call it: executed) by Thailand?

Click on this link for the answer to that:

http://www.correct.go.th/eng/deathpenalty.htm

Do I understand it right, the last year all got a royal pardon, so 2005 and 2006 none were killed?

1989-1996 also none were killed but a pretty high number between (why??)

How true is that page (considering that they don't know the difference between 1889 and 1989)?

You are right the figures for 2005 don't add up 110 people submitted petitions for Royal Pardon, 98 got commutation of sentence but there are 12 people who are not accounted for and not listed in the rejected column.

According to the first table it appears there were no executions during that 2005-2006 period. You will also note the years in that table have been ballsed up too, where they mean 1970's they have 1770's and 1980's have got 1880's but I think we know what they mean. :o

As for the legitimacy of the site, it is the Thai Correction Departments Government site, whether it is accurate I wouldn't know.

The Thai authorities resumed executions in 1995, after an eight-year moratorium.

fair point tornado , but the publicising of punishments is till , in my view , a good thing.

i am not ashamed to admit that i retain a somewhat medieval view to crime and punishment.

nobody forces anyone to rape , to murder , to violently attack or to rob with violence.

they have made a choice to do it , knowing that capture and punishment could be the result.

the have weighed up the odds , and taken the chance. they know the punishment that they may receive , whether the punishment is 10 hours of community service or a public flogging , they know before they commit the crime what may happen to them , and cant complain when they receive it.

the guilty should not be too upset , or go crying to amnesty international , or start demanding respect for their human rights , should their punishment be broadcast to the population , some of who may have suffered at their hands.

humiliation and disgrace before the general public should be a part of any punishment.

for those that choose to operate outside the bounds of decency or outside the limits of tolerable behaviour and cause grief and suffering to others , an example should be made of them for all to see.

of course in thailand , nobody knows for sure who is guilty and who is innocent , least of all the police and the courts.

but thats another topic altogether.

It is very relevant I think. Even if you think criminals forfeit their human rights after choosing to commit criminal acts, does it not leave a very bad taste in your mouth that some of the people whose suffering and undignified death would be broadcast to all and sundry, could be innocent people and scapegoats? It does in mine. But then again I don't think the idea is good at all, guilty or not guilty.

I think it would become gloating material for human vultures rather than a serious deterrent.

sorry , but i think it is a good idea.

criminals , once they step outside the norms of society by breaking the law , should forfeit their human rights , just as they have overlooked the human rights of their victims.

pity it will never happen though.

Can't agree, what about the innocent "criminals" that will die for something they didn't do, you should know how the Thai police work!!! Some will say "i did it" just to get free from the abuse.

Man, I didn't know all these ppl have posted, but you must have had a bad or strict upbringing???

Edited by SamuiJens

does it not leave a very bad taste in your mouth that some of the people whose suffering and undignified death would be broadcast to all and sundry, could be innocent people and scapegoats?

agree with you about innocent people and scapegoats , by subjecting an innocent person to any kind of punishment , the judge then becomes a guilty party.

and that is the inherent problem with justice and punishment.

i for one would not want to see an innocent person convicted , but would have no qualms whatsoever of seeing a guilty person suffer punishment.

these days , especially in western society , the burden of proof is so great that the police and prosecutors are unwilling to proceed , with the result that many guilty persons know that they can get away with their crimes and the police have to operate with their hands tied behind their back. this is not right , as the human rights of the innocent are jeopardised.

in a country like thailand , there is hardly any burden of proof , scapegoats are conveniently dragged before the courts and the system is corrupt , so that the innocent can suffer and the guilty go free.

neither system is perfect , as both systems favour the guilty at the expense of the innocent victim searching for justice.

but for those truly guilty of violent and exploitative crime , i stand by all that i have said.

whip'em hard and hang'em high.

Edited by taxexile