Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Laundry Detergent

noise

I am under the general impression that my clothes are getting little holes in them and wearing out faster (e.g., seams sepating) than they did in the U.S. and that these holes are not the result of age. Although I will admit that some of them were several to many years old when I brought them over.

I have also experienced the elastic in some waist bands "crytalizing" (make crackling sounds when stretched) and then losing all elasticity.

I use a GE top loader and electric dryer, so the only real change is in the type of detergent I am using. Does anyone have experience and/or thoughts on this? Does anyone strongly recommend a brand of detergent or recommend against one as being too caustic?

Edited by noise

I am under the general impression that my clothes are getting little holes in them and wearing out faster (e.g., seams sepating) than they did in the U.S. and that these holes are not the result of age. Although I will admit that some of them were several to many years old when I brought them over.

I have also experienced the elastic in some waist bands "crytalizing" (make crackling sounds when stretched) and then losing all elasticity.

I use a GE top loader and electric dryer, so the only real change is in the type of detergent I am using. Does anyone have experience and/or thoughts on this? Does anyone strongly recommend a brand of detergent or recommend against one as being too caustic?

I have had very good success with the liquid product called Cross. Let it soak a few min with just a little water, then add water and wash as usual.

the only real change is in the type of detergent I am using.

What type of detergent are you using?

Do you set the washer and dryer yourself or is somebody else makinging the settings?

I don't know what is in the 5 gallon bucket right now, but originally it was Breeze. My wife usually buys that.

Only have cold water and usually just use the normal setting (normal length of time and normal agitation). The maid does the actual wash, but I don't think how she sets the washer can affect it. And No (I occassionally check and there is no indication of using excessive detergent (not a lot of suds).

Dryer is on medium heat.

Sweat causing it? Hmmmm, well, I do sweat way more here than in the U.S., both because of the climate and because I now work outside in the yard way more. I googled and couldn't find any reference to sweat build up eating cloth, only staining.

the only real change is in the type of detergent I am using.

What type of detergent are you using?

Do you set the washer and dryer yourself or is somebody else makinging the settings?

The maid does the actual wash, but I don't think how she sets the washer can affect it.

If the maid has set the water level too low for the quantity of clothes, unwanted friction and wear could result.

Been using Pao, cold water wash and line dry for years with no problems.

• 5 months later...

The English name of that detergent in the green package with the Thai letters that look like "USA" is Breeze. I use a dry formulation that says its OK for both machine and hand washing and contains an oxygen bleach, Oxymax. We send the machine washing out to the laundry lady but I hand wash my underwear and some of my blouses with the "USA" (Breeze) product. That Breeze with Oxymax is a real champ at removing food stains without bleaching the rest of the garment. I also use a small amount to soak cooking pots with encrusted food.

It's my impression that it's much "stronger" than anything I used in the US. Sure seems to work better at stain removal than anything we had in the US. If I were fortunate enough to have a washing machine, I'd probably run the clothes thru an extra rinse cycle just to be sure all the detergent was gone. It's great stuff, but I want to make sure it's gone before drying the clothes.

Also, check to see what your maid/laundry lady is doing with fabric softener. It's my impression that fabric softener is often overused here because it does make the clothes smell nice. But, it can build up and make the clothes dingy over time.

Clorine bleach should never be used on latex. I am not talking about Oxy here. Colour safe bleach can but nomore than needed. Based on past exp. I would think bleach is the problem. I do not allow my MB to have clorine bleach. If needed I will issue what is needed with directions. I know, sounds like a Nazi but live and learn.

I find most washing powders are too strong these days, not only ruining the laundry, but also burns the hands.

At one time I didnt rinse out my underpants properly with painful results. Walked around with genitals the size of golf balls for days

Solution is:

Use less washing powder and add about 3 cap fulls of washing up liquid instead.

It really works and makes the laundry cleaner and softer.

Give it a try and see, it really works.