Wuttichot, Satit Udomseuksa Or Best

Phil Conners

Which is the best medium-price school  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Wuttichot, a definite no-no, poor facilities, crazy owner, high staff turnover, kids run wild. Satit, OK, nice environment w/ decent facilities, some computer emphasis, but lots of sons, daughters of ex-bar girls who've married farang, who can be a negative influence if your kid is susceptible. Best, not much info, but what little I've heard sounds OK.

Wuttichot, a definite no-no, poor facilities, crazy owner, high staff turnover, kids run wild. Satit, OK, nice environment w/ decent facilities, some computer emphasis, but lots of sons, daughters of ex-bar girls who've married farang, who can be a negative influence if your kid is susceptible. Best, not much info, but what little I've heard sounds OK.

Do you have kids at any of these schools?

I have 2 at Best, great teachers, poor facilities and getting very run down, very little discipline as well. Kids are happy but these problems are making me look at alternatives.

I think you will find that most of the schools at this price range will have some children from farrangs married to a bar girl, as one of these I do not see the downside ( how do you think my children would be a negative influence on yours?)

I looked at wuttichot and the children seemed very disciplined and the facilities were good, I would be very interested to hear some first hand comments as this would have been my first choice next term as they also have ain international school for when the children are older which best does not as of yet.

I suggest you need to consider what educational certificate you want your child to achieve. The bi-lingual schools will follow the Thai standards that are very low. If you have sufficient funds send your child to the international school based on the U.K. or US standards

Great, now we have something rolling :o

fourbath: The reason I ask is our kid has been going to Wuttichot for two years and we are not happy with it. Facilities are not good, ask to see the eating area - it's outside behind the school. Ask to see the sports area - it's a rough field behind the school. The teachers are ok, but as JSixpack pointed out, the owner already owns half of Pattaya and seems to have as primary objective to pocket as much profit as possible. The school is severely run down - the nice building you see is the International School. Same owner but way higher prices. (65K enroll + 180K/year). There are no native-english speaking kids in my kids class; the majority are Thais from Thai middle class, the remainder a mix of "halfs" and indians.

In our first house here in Pattaya we happened to have as neighboors a farang couple teaching in Best. They were obnoxious drunks who couldn't get home to change quick enough to go to the local Thai bar and knock down 3 large Changs each asap. When returning they'd hurl abuse at anyone seen in the area, children in particular. "Best" is one school where my child will never go.

Nobody in Wuttichots administration is able to speak more than very rudimentary English and all communication from from the school happens in Thai-only.

For comparison Wuttichot is 30K enroll + 60K/year and Satit 20K + 40K/year.

Satit has beautiful builings, indoor canteen, covered sports facilities. We paid a surprise visit and was greeted by english speaking staff. Friends with children in Satit tell us all communication is in Thai and English.

In both Wuttichot and Satit we had the impression that children were reasonably diciplined; kids are kids, polite when addressed - and certainly a lot more than what I've ever seen in Europe - but sometimes play a little rough as kids do.

Personally I don't need any suggestions of using the International schools. The price levels of more than 3 times any of the bilingual/Thai schools does not make this an option. No offense but feel free to take that discussion elsewhere :D

Edited by madsere

More:

According to the Satit school statement they teach the children centred method - but I've also heard rumors that this is not true, that they teach like any other Thai school, by rote, teacher centered.

Academically Wuttichot have English math and Thai math, English science and Thai science as well as "just English" lessons where Satit "just" have English lessons. I'm not sure how big an actual difference this makes.

JSixpack: I think, if you have a problem with bargirls you're living in the wrong place :o

(Not sure why Thaivisa doesn't let me edit my own message after a few minutes. First forum I've ever encountered such restrictions).

Edited by madsere

Madsere

Thanks for the useful information, on Wuttichot.

Can you tell me where Satit is I would like to take a look before the next term starts.

Simple1

Its not just about the educational standard at this age for me or for my kids, there is plenty of time for them to go to international school at a later date, having been educated the international school environment I am keen for my children to have a better understanding of everyday life at an early age, to mix with children who are not only from priviliged backgrounds but children from all walks of life.

International school will come into the picture for us at about age 10-12, this is not a money based decision but a decision based on wanting my children to have a balanced outlook on life and an appreciation of their circumstances.

This is a good thread and I hope others who have any comments will post..

Go south on Sukhumvit, past Big C and Lotus. Just before Soi Watboon (Winchester/Blind Beggar) goes down towards Jomtien Beach there is a road east (left as you go south). The road is not big but there is a clear sign towards Satit Udomwhatever. Turn right immediately after the railroad, then follow signs, it's quite easy to find.

I live in South Pattaya, my daughter (7 years old) goes to Aksorn School. She is very happy there.

It is basically a Thai school, Thai curriculum, but she takes English and Computer Studies as extras.

I can communicate with the teachers in English, although it is sometimes difficult. But the facilities are good and the fees are low.

I cannot judge on senior levels, but the College seems very well thought-of around town.

I had my son orininally in the Montessori school in Soi Wong Amat. When It started to get filled with Koreans I put him in BEST but found that it was not very good at all. Had bad reports about SATIT and don't know about Wuttichot.

In the end I bit the bullet and put him in St Andrews out at Ban Chang, it is expensive compared to the others, not as much as Regents, but worth it to ensure he gets a good education.

It's interesting so many people who "heard" bad things about Satit. The only first-hand impression I know of, friends of us with a kid there, was very happy with them. I'd like to hear more first-hand impressions, not just heresay, good or bad...

I worked for Satit for 15 months. In my opinion the English Department wasn't particularly well run though I understand that the Thai that ran the department when I was there has subsequently left.

I work part time now for Aksorn school and out of the two I would choose Aksorn over Satit for the quality of the English department.

Edited by Wanraya

Unless you can afford to send your kids to a 'proper' international school the schools named above are basically all running at the same standards, based on the Thai curriculum. Some schools are 'international' in name only.

Wuttichot does not have a very good reputation amongst teachers let alone parents.

Why not consider some of the schools a little further afield in Sriracha, like Assumption and Darasamutr for example?

My stepdaughter goes to Satit. She started last term, transferring from a major international school (when company no longer paid fees). Within two weeks, the staff at Satit spotted a learning problem (whcih had been ignored at previous school) and scheduled a conference with us (it took place in Thai, with a English speaking teacher assigned to translate for me). They immediately scheduled a visit with Doctor at Bangkok-Pattaya. Her teacher came with us to talk to doctor (on a Saturday), and has come to each subsequent visit. The school has provided extra private tutoring (at minimal cost) to try and get her up to the proper grade level. We discussed the social implications of putting her back to a lower grade, and they agreed it would be detrimental and did not put her back.

Needless to say, I am very impressed with the interest and care that the staff at Satit has displayed with my stepdaughter.

TH

You might also check into Srisuwit school in Laem Chabang (right on Sukhumvit road). It has about completed an ambitious building program and is looking good. A few years ago it was considered pretty good, a great value for a nonbilingual Thai school; it's outside Pattaya and the Pattaya mentality. Maybe it's even going bilingual, I don't know.

@thaihome: I think this is the first really postive post about any school here. Thanks for that!

Would you mind disclosing which International School this was?

I would rather not, as I have probably given to much personal information already.

In defense of that International school, they were unprepared for a non-English speaking Thai student to be placed amoung the other English speaking students. The staff just could not communicate.

TH

Edited by thaihome

• 1 month later...

Just a small update: My daughter is now in summerschool in Satit ... and LOVES it. She - and us - find teachers being more polite (particularly the Thai teachers) more skilled and more teacher skills in line with this century.

The school is beautiful. With 2/3 of the fees we paid in Wuttichot they manage to have a beautiful school. I have the impression that the owner of Wuttichot (and PIS - Pattaya International School) is mostly concerned with pocketing as much of the school fees as possible without spending anything on the upkeep of the school.

Anyway, that's todays status. I'll update this thread again in a couple of months when we have more experience with Satit.

Just a small update: My daughter is now in summerschool in Satit ... and LOVES it.  She - and us - find teachers being more polite (particularly the Thai teachers) more skilled and more teacher skills in line with this century.

The school is beautiful. With 2/3 of the fees we paid in Wuttichot they manage to have a beautiful school. I have the impression that the owner of Wuttichot (and PIS - Pattaya International School) is mostly concerned with pocketing as much of the school fees as possible without spending anything on the upkeep of the school.

Anyway, that's todays status. I'll update this thread again in a couple of months when we have more experience with Satit.

Is it not vacation-time for the next couple of months?

Anyway, please keep this going, I would be very interested to hear positive things about other schools. My daughter has just 'graduated' from her class at Aksorn, evidently did quite well there, and she is counting the days to start a new year in a new class.

Vote for Satit Udomseuksa

My daughter will go to third grade after summer, and we are happy with the last 2 years.

Allthough they 'advertise' that they are 'International' (probably they mean many Nationalities on the school). 75% is in Thai the Rest in English (so far i can see during these 2 year). But they provide extra English lessons at Second Grade Up. My daughter catched up a reasonable amount of English (we speak Thai at home), so iam satisfied. :D

Nice parking Lot (comes in hand if you pick up your child yourself), Nice swimmingpool, and dining area, and large playground.

Classes of around 15 kids, mix of Thai, Koreans & thai/europe.

Everything has its price, a higher level of English education will probably also bring in higher tution fees. :o

Peter

You can check out Best at Link BEST a new website with a lot of information.

I have had 2 there for the past 4 years.

I am very happy with the teachers and the children love it, I was a bit worried about ongoing facilities however they have a lot of new construction on the go and lots of upgrades in the pipe line.

All Tuition fees are online.

Edited by fourbaht

Not Best, never!

I know a teacher couple there. If they can be allowed to teach it's not a place I'd bring my child!

So I guess ignorance is bliss? and as long as you don't know any of the teachers personally then you are happy to send your kids there?

Do you know all of the teachers where your child goes now? and their personal habits?

I have to say my experience with the teachers at Best is very positive. In fact most parents I know who have children in Best have done so solely on the basis of teachers.

As I have said in previous posts the facilities are a little run down but there are big expansion plans.

I looked at Satit also, it is a beautiful school, but Satit does not have a full bi lingual curriculum, they do teach English, however just as a subject, they do not have English Maths, Science and other subjects as the bi lingual program offers.

When I took my children to Satit the teacher was very straight forward and honest she said she could not offer the level of education they hade been receiving at Best.

Why are you twisting my words?

If I KNOW that certain teachers are incompetent and psychotic should I disregard that fact and put my children there?

If I DON'T KNOW what can I do? I do what I can to find out what they are like but of course you can't know everything.

The beauty of TV is you can share your experiences and learn from others.

You're free to disregard my experiences.

Sheesh!